Salary Cap Discussion: 2021 and beyond

time2rock

overthecap now has them with $5.7M of cap space for this year, not including the Jackson and Jeffrey 6/1's. So with $9.7M, that should be enough to handle signing the draft class and cover IR for the season. So in theory, they could hang on to Ertz now for the season. I don't see it happening but if they can't get ANY trade value at all, then they could keep him and survive from a cap perspective.

24 minutes ago, John Blutarski said:

overthecap now has them with $5.7M of cap space for this year, not including the Jackson and Jeffrey 6/1's. So with $9.7M, that should be enough to handle signing the draft class and cover IR for the season. So in theory, they could hang on to Ertz now for the season. I don't see it happening but if they can't get ANY trade value at all, then they could keep him and survive from a cap perspective.

Yeah I’d think if they don’t get a fair offer for him now the smart move may be to hold on to him hoping that a team that feels it is "this close” as the trade deadline approaches will be desperate enough to deal for him then.  If not then there’s always the possibility of a comp pick should he just walk after the season and signs elsewhere.  Obviously prefer the former since they are guaranteed ... the latter aren’t.  

• Like 2

On 3/25/2021 at 5:27 PM, downundermike said:

Here is todays update.

3 weeks ago, all the Howie loyalists talked about one rough  year, but we will have 73 million in cap space in 2022.

Here we are, with 26.7 million in cap space for 2022.

And like every year these numbers are set in stone and SHALL NOT BE MESSED with. :whistle:

You guys never learn. 😂

4 minutes ago, Infam said:

And like every year these numbers are set in stone and SHALL NOT BE MESSED with. :whistle:

You guys never learn. 😂

Problem for you is I have learned, I projected the massive drop in the 2022 cap number back in January.

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

Problem for you is I have learned, I projected the massive drop in the 2022 cap number back in January.

Who cares? All will be fine, don't worry.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Just now, downundermike said:

Cult of Howie

As if the cap in 2022 will prevent us from keeping all players and add significant FAs!

There will be more movement then and we will have plenty of cap. And in 2023 it will rise even more with the new deals.

You are crying over nothing, like every year.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Ceiling, not floor.

If all 9 rookies make the team and are on the roster next year, the Eagles currently have $ 8,731,629 in cap space for 2022 if the league sets the cap at the ceiling.  That is with 49 players under contract.  If they end up with and use all 3 first round picks, gonna take just over 10 million to sign those three players.  

I don't pretend to know what these players' contracts require, but we're still going to be in rebuild mode for one or two more years. So I say, get rid of these old and expensive guys NOW, if possible: Cox, Graham, Brooks, Barnett (not old, but...), Ertz, McLeod... Kelce can stay one more year to train the new guy(s), and he'll leave on his own anyway.

(Edit) OK, after reading other comments, I get that it might not save much in dollars or cap space; but part of my point, unstated, is that we need to move the new guys into these positions, get them some reps and experience.

1 hour ago, Big___Al said:

I don't pretend to know what these players' contracts require, but we're still going to be in rebuild mode for one or two more years. So I say, get rid of these old and expensive guys NOW, if possible: Cox, Graham, Brooks, Barnett (not old, but...), Ertz, McLeod... Kelce can stay one more year to train the new guy(s), and he'll leave on his own anyway.

(Edit) OK, after reading other comments, I get that it might not save much in dollars or cap space; but part of my point, unstated, is that we need to move the new guys into these positions, get them some reps and experience.

Some of those are impossible to get rid of now simply because of the contracts

• Like 1

5 hours ago, downundermike said:

Ceiling, not floor.

Thanks for the correction ... long day.  

2 hours ago, Big___Al said:

We can do the same thing with Cox, Brooks, or Slay that we did with Alshon and Jackson this year. Restructure and june 1st cut. 2 of the 3. The other we will cut or trade straight up. It will take us up to around 30 million in cap space. With that we can sign around 3-4 good players, 2-3 stop gaps, and sign our rookies (3-4 top 50). And @downundermike will hate all of it.

35 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

We can do the same thing with Cox, Brooks, or Slay that we did with Alshon and Jackson this year. Restructure and june 1st cut. 2 of the 3. The other we will cut or trade straight up. It will take us up to around 30 million in cap space. With that we can sign around 3-4 good players, 2-3 stop gaps, and sign our rookies (3-4 top 50). And @downundermike will hate all of it.

And we can spend the same amount to replace them, with 1/2 the talent

7 hours ago, downundermike said:

They cost to much to keep next year. They are in their 30s declining. Dickerson and Williams were already drafted as replacements. We will have the money and draft picks to bring in younger players that will help this team for multiple years.

• Like 1

Cox has a $23M cap number in 2022 ... if cut or traded with a "regular" designation (i.e. not post June 1), the cap hit drops to $13M (dead money) but yields $10M in cap relief.  Using a post June 1 designation yields $17M in cap relief (and $6.7M dead money hit pushing the other $6.3M to 2023).  

Brooks ($19M 2022 cap number):  $15.7M dead money hit to cap/$3.7M cap relief (pre-June 1, cut or traded), $6M dead/$13.5M relief (post June 1, cut or traded).  

Slay ($22M 2022 cap number):  $17.6M dead money hit to cap/$4.4M cap relief (if cut pre-June 1 ... if traded $15.6M dead/$6.4M savings).  Post June 1 = $7.5M dead/$14.5M relief (cut) ... $5.5M dead/$16.5M relief (traded).

The youth movement started this year ... it only makes sense IMO to continue that trend next year.  And as much as he is a great talent and a fan favorite, moving Cox (and not using a post June 1 designation) would probably be in the best longer term interest of the team.  And if one of these young IOL can step up, moving Brooks would be smart (mostly due to recent injury history ... makes it hard to justify the money allocated there at his age).  Better to move on from some of these guys a year or 2 too early rather than a year or 2 too late (JP).  

11 hours ago, downundermike said:

Mike - you need to get off the Eagles are in cap hell forever kick.  The Eagles are one of the most proficient teams in the league in dealing with the cap and had a blip in 2021.  Not a bad record for over 20 years.  And, after June 1, the team is back in good shape again.

12 minutes ago, Procus said:

Mike - you need to get off the Eagles are in cap hell forever kick.  The Eagles are one of the most proficient teams in the league in dealing with the cap and had a blip in 2021.  Not a bad record for over 20 years.  And, after June 1, the team is back in good shape again.

I have never said they will be in cap hell forever.  But they are now, will be in 2022, and it will start to improve in 2023.

6 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Cox has a $23M cap number in 2022 ... if cut or traded with a "regular" designation (i.e. not post June 1), the cap hit drops to $13M (dead money) but yields $10M in cap relief.  Using a post June 1 designation yields $17M in cap relief (and $6.7M dead money hit pushing the other $6.3M to 2023).  

Cox will likely sign an extension similar to the deal worked out with Kelce and Graham to keep him here a few more years at a reasonable price. Kelce will likely be here for two more years, and Graham for three. So after this season I could see him signing a deal for three more years, with a cap hit of around $13 million a year.

So Kelce retires in 2023, Graham in 2024 and Cox in 2025, all finishing their careers as Eagles.

10 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I have never said they will be in cap hell forever.  But they are now, will be in 2022, and it will start to improve in 2023.

The team is looking at $40-50 million in cap space in 22.  They'll be fine on that front.

40 minutes ago, Procus said:

The team is looking at $40-50 million in cap space in 22.  They'll be fine on that front.

Please give me the broad strokes of how that will happen.  They currently have 7 million in cap space with 49 players under contract if this entire rookie class is on the roster, and will need 10 + million to sign the three first round picks if they get and use all 3 of those picks.

We need a donwundermike containment thread where he posts his nonsense about the salary cap and doesn't contaminate the rest of the board with his terrible thoughts about it.

25 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

We need a donwundermike containment thread where he posts his nonsense about the salary cap and doesn't contaminate the rest of the board with his terrible thoughts about it.

Maybe instead of running around complaining, you provide some information to try and dispute the facts I have provided.

18 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Maybe instead of running around complaining, you provide some information to try and dispute the facts I have provided.

How much money will they carryover? Will they extend Barnett? Will they extend Cox? Will they trade Slay or Brooks? Will they extend Hargrave?

I am not complaining. I am making the point that you are freaking out about a number that has no basis in reality and which will change dramatically between right now and next May.

57 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Please give me the broad strokes of how that will happen.  They currently have 7 million in cap space with 49 players under contract if this entire rookie class is on the roster, and will need 10 + million to sign the three first round picks if they get and use all 3 of those picks.

Well, we started this offseason being the team in the worst cap shape some $75M over the cap.  Yet managed to get under and still be able to make some solid signings (Harris, Kerrigan, etc).  I get the disdain in borrowing from future years but it the end it works so ...