Salary Cap Discussion: 2021 and beyond

time2rock

2 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Barnett hasn't been cut and counts 10 million on the cap, i assume they plan to extend his contract.

I realize that. Try playing around with the calculator on the OTC site- you’ll see what I mean. 

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

Oh, I thought if they designate them as June 1st cuts the savings is immediate. 

Nope.  Let’s you spread the cap hit across two years, but have to wait till June 1 to get the benefit.

2 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

You preferred when the Eagles never won Super Bowls?

You prefer complaining to winning?  I get that.

Oh wyote why the clone account?  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Nope.  Let’s you spread the cap hit across two years, but have to wait till June 1 to get the benefit.

Really? I thought you get to designate two and have the cap benefit right away

Edit: looks like you are correct

19 minutes ago, downundermike said:

So they probably won’t even have enough cap space to sign their draft picks until June 1st,  let alone sign any free agents. 

21 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

So they probably won’t even have enough cap space to sign their draft picks until June 1st,  let alone sign any free agents. 

They have no reason to sign free agents this year anyway

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

They have no reason to sign free agents this year anyway

Sure they do. Just because it’s a rebuilding year doesn’t mean you can’t sign good, young under-the-radar free agents. I mean Nick Foles was signed as a free agent and won a SB. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Sure they do. Just because it’s a rebuilding year doesn’t mean you can’t sign good, young under-the-radar free agents. I mean Nick Foles was signed as a free agent and won a SB. 

That's exactly the kind of move they should be looking at! Young under the radar signings on a one or two year deal. 

5 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

If they are young and good they won't be under the radar. Mostly everyone loved getting Nick back that wasn't under the radar. 

7 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

If they are young and good they won't be under the radar. Mostly everyone loved getting Nick back that wasn't under the radar. 

My point is there are good, cheap Free agents that aren’t at the top of everyone’s wish list. We can’t even afford them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

My point is there are good, cheap Free agents that aren’t at the top of everyone’s wish list. We can’t even afford them.

And "good" is relative, many available CBs are probably good when compared to what we have.

My thoughts are, if a free agent can be signed on the cheap, he likely either isn’t any good, is coming off injury or a bad year and is looking to prove himself again, or is older and on the decline.  The only ones I might have interest in are those that fit the 2nd description (even then my interest would be low).  In almost all of those cases I’d prefer to give our own you g players the play time to develop.  I’m tired of adding band aids with players that have next to nothing left or are up in age and you can expect their play to drop off dramatically in the very near future.  We should we "building” something that will be sustainable, with an eye on 2023 and beyond.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

My thoughts are, if a free agent can be signed on the cheap, he likely either isn’t any good, is coming off injury or a bad year and is looking to prove himself again, or is older and on the decline.

I think the best value in free agency is finding guys who have been misused by their teams.

We signed Patrick Robinson cheap because he wasn't an outside corner, he could only play the slot. Now, we did repeatedly try him outside, which is why he was in danger of being cut, but then he thrived in the slot.

This year, Rasul Douglas is going to be a great deal for someone. He was out of place in our single high system, and then he was expected to be the #1 corner last year in Carolina, which he isn't. But he is a decent #2 corner in a heavy zone scheme.

On our team, Maddox, Avery, JJAW and Mills are all players who I think have been misused by the coaching staff. Mills is the only free agent of that group, so it will be interesting to see what we do with the other three.  

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

My thoughts are, if a free agent can be signed on the cheap, he likely either isn’t any good, is coming off injury or a bad year and is looking to prove himself again, or is older and on the decline.  The only ones I might have interest in are those that fit the 2nd description (even then my interest would be low).  In almost all of those cases I’d prefer to give our own you g players the play time to develop.  I’m tired of adding band aids with players that have next to nothing left or are up in age and you can expect their play to drop off dramatically in the very near future.  We should we "building” something that will be sustainable, with an eye on 2023 and beyond.  

Karl Joseph is a good example of what I’d call a good, young UFA. He’s a former 1st round pick who showed some flashes in Oakland and was signed by Cleveland last year for 1yr/$2.5m deal. He had a pretty decent year and is available again. Of course, he’s had issues with injuries.

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

Here’s a pretty good piece describing how the new contracts for Hargrave and Seumalo break down.  We were sitting at $17.3M over the cap prior to Graham’s new deal.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/updated-look-eagles-salary-cap-situation-free-agency-nears

And I guess they will cut Ertz so that will save more... So what other moves do we think they are going to make? I'd imagine a Barnett trade, cut or restructure is imminent.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And I guess they will cut Ertz so that will save more... So what other moves do we think they are going to make? I'd imagine a Barnett trade, cut or restructure is imminent.

Listening to WIP yesterday morning, they were talking about how they "heard" we may let Barnett play out 2021 under his current 5th  year option.  If any truth to that I suppose that may mean Howie feels comfortable getting under the cap by tomorrow 4pm without the need to extend him at this time (ditto restructuring Johnson again ... thank goodness). 

Ertz is certainly one to expect.  Another is cutting Goodwin - that yields another $4.8M in cap relief (seems like a no brainer).  Those 2 moves free up close to $10M.  The last one I'd expect is a new contract for Cox (not just a restructure but an extension since he is only under contract through 2022 currently).  He has a $24M cap number for 2021 .... Howie will reduce that.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Listening to WIP yesterday morning, they were talking about how they "heard" we may let Barnett play out 2021 under his current 5th  year option.  If any truth to that I suppose that may mean Howie feels comfortable getting under the cap by tomorrow 4pm without the need to extend him at this time (ditto restructuring Johnson again ... thank goodness). 

Ertz is certainly one to expect.  Another is cutting Goodwin - that yields another $4.8M in cap relief (seems like a no brainer).  Those 2 moves free up close to $10M.  The last one I'd expect is a new contract for Cox (not just a restructure but an extension since he is only under contract through 2022 currently).  He has a $24M cap number for 2021 .... Howie will reduce that.  

I mean... If they are happy for Barnett to play under his 5th year option then they are crazy. He isn't worth $10M a year and if he wants to test FA to go and get that then good luck to him. He might get it on the market given his age and position but he's not shown his true talent here in Philly. He's flashed and he's a good player but that's a pretty big 1 year hit for a guy who's just been decent.

They also need to do more than just get under the cap, they need to get under enough that they can make moves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean... If they are happy for Barnett to play under his 5th year option then they are crazy. He isn't worth $10M a year and if he wants to test FA to go and get that then good luck to him. He might get it on the market given his age and position but he's not shown his true talent here in Philly. He's flashed and he's a good player but that's a pretty big 1 year hit for a guy who's just been decent.

They also need to do more than just get under the cap, they need to get under enough that they can make moves.

Oh I completely agree on all of that.  I was just mentioning what was being discussed on that talk show yesterday.  I'd cut him and let him test the market.  He isn't worth more than like $5-7M/year IMO.  

• Like 1

You know the cap is in a bad state when the team is almost void of talent, has to remove what is left of talent to get under the cap and has $40m in dead cap.

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well, I don't know. I think 10M seems fair, and like you said pretty sure he will get that somewhere considering he's only 24.

1 minute ago, Infam said:

Well, I don't know. I think 10M seems fair, and like you said pretty sure he will get that somewhere considering he's only 24.

I suspect yes he would get that. In fact I think at this point the Eagles two choices are cut or trade. I'm not sure a new deal is going to be an option. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I suspect yes he would get that. In fact I think at this point the Eagles two choices are cut or trade. I'm not sure a new deal is going to be an option. 

Trade isn't a choice either, in order for them to trade him they need to pick up his 5th option which is fully guaranteed. Eagles are not going to put themselves on the hook for 10mil to possibly get a 4th round pick if they are lucky

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Trade isn't a choice either, in order for them to trade him they need to pick up his 5th option which is fully guaranteed. Eagles are not going to put themselves on the hook for 10mil to possibly get a 4th round pick if they are lucky

They’ve already picked up his 5th year option ... the deadline to do so was last May. 

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/27/eagles-nfl-derek-barnett-fifth-year-option/

It becomes fully guaranteed "at the start of the league year of his fifth (option) year”.

https://frontofficenfl.com/2020/06/04/2020-nfl-cba-explained-5th-year-option-in-rookie-contracts/