Update: Duce Staley hired by Lions as RB/Asst HC

Macho Grande

8 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

If Duce has the long term goal of being a HC, then moving on is best for him. To be a HC, I would guess that there are steps towards becoming one that are short to mid-term objectives and some that are long term objectives. Here's a massively oversimplified look at it.

In the short term. Coaching as many positions on your side of the ball as you can seems beneficial, as does eventually contributing to game planning and play calling. Building the foundation of your (hopefully positive) reputation with players, coaches, and FO personnel is accomplished.

In the long term, networking is critical to becoming a HC. As you meet other coaches and build relationships, you have to have open and honest conversations that allow you to make a list of coaches who you would join and work under, and who would want you as well, to help them become an all time great coach. In other words, a list of coaches for whom you would always give 100%. You also need a list of coaches you would want, and who would want to join you, to help you become the same. In other words, coaches who would always give you 100%. Some of those names will be the same on both lists and they will probably make up the core of your staff should you ever get the rare chance to assemble one.

Broadening the scope of your (hopefully positive) reputation is a must here as well, so that when Players talk or GM's talk, or Owners talk, your name is a positive and desirable one in their minds. You don't want people saying they've heard some good things but don't really know who you are, or worse, they ask "who?" 

There's so much more that goes into it, but suffice it to say that it's a long hard road to get one of those 32 jobs, and you can do everything right to compete for one, but still never get the job offer. That's just life. 

I don't care about Duce getting a head coaching job enough to read all that 😛

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I don't care about Duce getting a head coaching job enough to read all that 😛

tl;dr version: Moving on is good for Duce, for a bunch of reasons.

• Like 3

On 1/27/2021 at 4:40 PM, Procus said:

Exactly.  We all loved Duce as a player - but that doesn't qualify him to be a head coach.  It's ridiculous, and quite frankly, it was an overreach for him to have players text their support for him to the ownership.

I said it before, why not the same outrage that Jeff Stoutland wasn't named head coach.  He clearly has been the best position coach on the squad for years.

Stout was on his way to a SEC team as OC before the Eagles talked him off the ledge. He's had opportunities beyond what we hear about, for sure. Good coaches get those chances so no need for outcry. I for one, am glad he's back.

Duce is black and part of the Rooney rule process, so their opportunities are under more scrutiny. Personally, I never liked him as a coach and think he would make a terrible HC at this point in his career. Hell, he was in over his head as RB coach IMO.

No point here with this post, as I heard it from Ray Didinger this morning on WIP, but it seems as if the Lions are assembling a Coaching Staff full of ex- NFL players.

While the Eagles are going in the opposite direction and hiring Coaches who have never played a down in the NFL. 

I wonder what type of staff actually is/would be better for the Eagles current situation. 

On 1/29/2021 at 12:48 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

He only knows Philly as a coach. Even though he's not in the best situation now, it's still experience outside of here. He's working with new people, getting exposed to new ideas and management. Could only be good for him. Probably wouldn't hurt if he could coach at least 1 other position before getting a true OC title later on.

Getting some reasonable experience with the passing game should be required. Would Buddy Ryan havelikely been more successful if he had a clue about the offense beyond "go out there and make some plays" (or whatever he was alleged to have told Randall.)

2 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

Getting some reasonable experience with the passing game should be required. Would Buddy Ryan havelikely been more successful if he had a clue about the offense beyond "go out there and make some plays" (or whatever he was alleged to have told Randall.)

Probably.

3 hours ago, LacesOut said:

No point here with this post, as I heard it from Ray Didinger this morning on WIP, but it seems as if the Lions are assembling a Coaching Staff full of ex- NFL players.

While the Eagles are going in the opposite direction and hiring Coaches who have never played a down in the NFL. 

I wonder what type of staff actually is/would be better for the Eagles current situation

The Eagles right now seem to believe younger is better. I think it will be interesting to see considering how old the Eagles roster is and how young their coaches are. When Reid, Rhodes, and Doug came in here they could flash SB rings and demand the respect of the locker room. Most of the Eagles new coaches do not have rings to flash. In fact most of these guys are walking around with their own rings. How do these young coaches get the respect of the locker room? I don’t see how this plays out well unless the Eagles turn this roster over. 

• 8 months later...

So y’all are telling me Duce couldn’t call plays better than Sirianni? SMH

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

Come on, it's not Sirianni's fault. It's Hurt's fault that he makes terrible, predictable play calls and refuses to run the ball. Didn't you know.

2 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Is he calling plays with the Lions?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

There are 32 teams in the NFL.

Duce managed to make a lateral move...with the worst team in the league. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

A HC doesn’t need to call plays.  He needs to be a strong leader.  He can have assistant coaches that have strong backgrounds in calling plays.  

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

A HC doesn’t need to call plays.  He needs to be a strong leader.  He can have assistant coaches that have strong backgrounds in calling plays.  

I know and I stated this. I’m just pointing out the obvious with Sirianni’s playcalling "skills”

• Like 1

6 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I know and I stated this. I’m just pointing out the obvious with Sirianni’s playcalling "skills”

Yep, I was just expanding on your point.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Well he certainly has the Lions playing at a high level right now, that's for sure. 

14 minutes ago, Kz! said:

Well he certainly has the Lions playing at a high level right now, that's for sure. 

:roll:  I like Duce but come on that's funny.

2 hours ago, Kz! said:

Duce is the HC for the Lions? Thats news to me. Great point by you 

5 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Duce is the HC for the Lions? Thats news to me. Great point by you 

Yes, only the HC dictates how well an offense performs. Great point by you

On 1/30/2021 at 4:07 PM, LacesOut said:

I wonder what type of staff actually is/would be better for the Eagles current situation. 

Right now neither group is winning a lot of games. These two groups are about to go head to head. In some ways you could make points for both groups (which is the better of a pile of crap anyways) considering the Eagles staff has wins and the Lions don’t, but you could argue that the Lions are getting more out of their players than the Eagles are as it seems that the Lions despite losing seem to be in every game where the Eagles seem to be out of most games by the third quarter. 

5 hours ago, Kz! said:

And Deuce is not really showing much with the run game in Detroit. Deandre Swift is having an AWEFUL year on the ground... his receiving game is pretty though

On 10/26/2021 at 10:10 AM, Kz! said:

Yes, only the HC dictates how well an offense performs. Great point by you

Lol nice play on words. Sirianni is the headcoach and playcaller. Duce is neither for the Lions. You are on a roll. Keep going!

On 10/26/2021 at 3:48 PM, QBhunter58 said:

And Deuce is not really showing much with the run game in Detroit. Deandre Swift is having an AWEFUL year on the ground... his receiving game is pretty though

That whole team is awful and swift is their only real weapon and only gets 10-13 carries a game. Also Duce will flip your table over spelling his name that way