Update: Duce Staley hired by Lions as RB/Asst HC

Macho Grande

5 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s crazy the Kafka is even getting considerations for HC jobs.

We don't know if he is or not, we only know what the sportswriters say - and they lie.

19 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Duce going to Lions.  Assistant HC/RB Coach, same title as here.

Going from the frying pan to the fire.  Let's see how much he enjoys the dysfunction of that organization and its new meathead HC.

So the same exact role and same exact job position. I have nothing against Duce and wish him the best, but taking into consideration that no other team than the Eagles interviewed him for a HC role and no other team even interviewed him for an OC role tells that he's probably not there yet from a gameplan/play design/scheme/innovation standpoint. Or you can just go with the narrative that 31 other teams have some sort of bias. 

I never understood making him a HC just because he played here and had an assistant coaching job forever. 

• Like 4

Hope he's happy there.

Who knows, maybe if Dan "WWE" Campbell flames out quickly, Duce might get promoted to interim HC.

2 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Hope he's happy there.

Who knows, maybe if Dan "WWE" Campbell flames out quickly, Duce might get promoted to interim HC.

Or get repeatedly passed over by external candidates.  

• Like 1

Hated his rotation but he was a great RB coach and got the most out of scrub talent 

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

Or get repeatedly passed over by external candidates.  

Not sure, possibly.  Who else on that Lions staff could step in if Campbell is fired early in his tenure?  

14 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Not sure, possibly.  Who else on that Lions staff could step in if Campbell is fired early in his tenure?  

I don't know honestly.  I wish all the best for Duce ... I was just poking fun at the fact that he continually got passed over here for promotions.  

23 minutes ago, SPIDER-MAN said:

Sooooo... he wanted a promotion but is just doing the same exact thing he could have done with the Eagles. Ok, Duce. Whatever. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

He didn’t need to "lobby” particularly hard for it. The report is that he turned down the Eagles OC position when it was offered to him a couple years ago because it didn’t include playcalling duties... He shot himself in the foot there. Unless he happens to go be the OC for a team with a defensive HC, he wasn’t going to get to call plays, which apparently was a deal breaker for him. 

Yep. High expectations. I loved Duce as a player and I loved him as a tough RB coach...I have seen Duce yelling at players and his toughness was translated to the field. But I wonder how well this toughness will translate to management position. Eagles obviously did not think so.  Thanks for the memories Duce! You were great.

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

I don't know honestly.  I wish all the best for Duce ... I was just poking fun at the fact that he continually got passed over here for promotions.  

He just accepted the same position- it's not even a promotion...the Lions didn't promote him, either. Okaaaaay. I guess he thinks he has a better shot at OC with the Lions in a few years.

13 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Sooooo... he wanted a promotion but is just doing the same exact thing he could have done with the Eagles. Ok, Duce. Whatever. 

Maybe Sirianni wanted his own guy?  I mean the only holdover right now appears to be Stoutland.  Personally I'm ready for a complete purge of the old.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

So the same exact role and same exact job position. I have nothing against Duce and wish him the best, but taking into consideration that no other team than the Eagles interviewed him for a HC role and no other team even interviewed him for an OC role tells that he's probably not there yet from a gameplan/play design/scheme/innovation standpoint. Or you can just go with the narrative that 31 other teams have some sort of bias. 

I never understood making him a HC just because he played here and had an assistant coaching job forever. 

From his point of view, I think he saw his Philadelphia position as a dead end as he's been the RB coach forever, so maybe a sideways promotion will put him in a situation that'll better set him up for the OC interviews later down the road.

If he fixed Detroit's run game, that'd look pretty snazzy on a resumé

12 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Maybe Sirianni wanted his own guy?  I mean the only holdover right now appears to be Stoutland.  Personally I'm ready for a complete purge of the old.  

I have a feeling Moorehead might stick around too.

48 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Yeah agreed with this. But also fair play to Duce for trying a change of scene and seeing if he can work his way up at a different team. 

Appreciate all he gave us as a coach and player and wish him the best.

3 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah agreed with this. But also fair play to Duce for trying a change of scene and seeing if he can work his way up at a different team. 

Appreciate all he gave us as a coach and player and wish him the best.

100% think it was the right move for him to move elsewhere. I hope he excels there and is able to continue to climb up the ranks. But the way some people talked about how he's ready for a HC job just because he played/coached here was asinine. 

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Wrong forum.  Belongs in ATNFL

It will get moved, but I figured might as well post it here for now since he's a "former Eagle."

Anyways, I can't fault Staley for the move. He was never going to get as high a position as assistant head coach of the running game. He likely sees an opportunity to build his resume on another team, with the chance to be head coach eiether in Detroit or elsewhere. If he winds up being passed over on yet another team, he'll never be a head coach. Or he'll coach in college and try to build his stock back up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 20dawk4life said:

Hated his rotation but he was a great RB coach and got the most out of scrub talent 

I keep seeing this and I don't understand this line of thinking. What "scrub talent" did Duce turn into a good or even serviceable back? Because I can name about 20 he did nothing with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Wasn’t it updated that Fipp is staying? Which kind of sucks, his STs have been trash the last few years

• Like 1