Update: Duce Staley hired by Lions as RB/Asst HC

Macho Grande

22 minutes ago, Swoop said:

I keep seeing this and I don't understand this line of thinking. What "scrub talent" did Duce turn into a good or even serviceable back? Because I can name about 20 he did nothing with.

I tend to agree. Blount rushed for 18 touchdowns the year before with the Patriots, Ajayi had already asserted himself as a solid player (even if his attitude sucked in Miami) and Sproles was, well, Sproles.

The only guy that fits the narrative of a scrub is Clement. He was a pretty good player for an undrafted free agent. Solid role player his first two years, then vanished.

Wendell Smallwood and Josh Adams were trash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I don't know honestly.  I wish all the best for Duce ... I was just poking fun at the fact that he continually got passed over here for promotions.  

Sometimes you just need a change of scenery.  Duce wasn't going any farther in the Eagles organization.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nipples said:

Wasn’t it updated that Fipp is staying? Which kind of sucks, his STs have been trash the last few years

Initially then later reported they granted him permission to seek a position elsewhere.  

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/23/eagles-dave-fipp-part-ways-nick-sirianni-doug-pederson-fired/

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SPIDER-MAN said:

I tend to agree. Blount rushed for 18 touchdowns the year before with the Patriots, Ajayi had already asserted himself as a solid player (even if his attitude sucked in Miami) and Sproles was, well, Sproles.

The only guy that fits the narrative of a scrub is Clement. He was a pretty good player for an undrafted free agent. Solid role player his first two years, then vanished.

Wendell Smallwood and Josh Adams were trash.

Exactly..

Then we have guys like Bryce Brown, Josh Adams, Chris Polk, Wendell Smallwood, Jason Huntley...etc 

Im not giving credit to Duce for guys like McCoy, Blount, Sproles, Ajayi, Matthews, Murray and so on when they had all proven to be capable backs long before he was a RB coach or before coming to the team.

He got one good year (on a SB winning roster) out of Clement, two good (not amazing) years out of Sanders and has an okay third down back in Boston Scott. Over the course of eight years, that's it.

Let's not forget the Eagles, generally, have good to great OLs in place for said backs as well.

Like Duce and all, wish him the best, but he's nothing special as a coach.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Exactly..

Then we have guys like Bryce Brown, Josh Adams, Chris Polk, Wendell Smallwood, Jason Huntley...etc 

Im not giving credit to Duce for guys like McCoy, Blount, Sproles, Ajayi, Matthews, Murray and so on when they had all proven to be capable backs long before he was a RB coach or before coming to the team.

He got one good year (on a SB winning roster) out of Clement, two good (not amazing) years out of Sanders and has an okay third down back in Boston Scott. Over the course of eight years, that's it.

Let's not forget the Eagles, generally, have good to great OLs in place for said backs as well.

Like Duce and all, wish him the best, but he's nothing special as a coach.

Ok but you have to consider the talent levels of those backs. NO coach can just make any bad player great. Look at all the backs you listed that Duce failed to develop, and tell me how many went elsewhere and were turned into good players by other coaches. I can’t think of any. In fact, Duce got better production out of Smallwood than anyone else did after he was let go. Same could be said for Bryce Brown. 

Good luck, I cant say he will be missed. He was adequate at his job (and that is probably why he is not ready for a HC role yet).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mihailo said:

I interview people for jobs all the time, I don't think I have ever wanted to hire the first people through the door. There was no one hired up until the Eagles choice who makes me go: wow, I wish they hired them instead.

And I too interview on a regular basis and I do agree you don't always want the first person. But that's not really my point here. The process was a mess, the organization appears dysfunctional. 

35 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And I too interview on a regular basis and I do agree you don't always want the first person. But that's not really my point here. The process was a mess, the organization appears dysfunctional. 

I just don't get what makes you think it was dysfunctional? I don't know how to make that assumption without being there, that is all.

17 minutes ago, mihailo said:

I just don't get what makes you think it was dysfunctional? I don't know how to make that assumption without being there, that is all.

I'm saying it appears dysfunctional. I'm not declaring it absolutely was. From what has gone on I think it's dysfunction.

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm saying it appears dysfunctional. I'm not declaring it absolutely was. From what has gone on I think it's dysfunction.

I am not saying you are wrong, but was wondering which part of the process gives you the impression it has been dysfunctional? I didn't get the same impression, so maybe you saw something I didn't.

Just now, mihailo said:

I am not saying you are wrong, but was wondering which part of the process gives you the impression it has been dysfunctional?

Well a year ago their then HC declared that his offensive coaches would be back. They were then fired and new coaches put upon him. A year later the season ends, Doug is sent out to face the media in the end of year presser and a few days later he's fired. This all feels very reactive and not the moves made by an organisation that are in control. They seem to want to fix Carson but they were going to bring back Doug? They fired Doug, interviewed a lot of coaches (a good thing I know) and landed with a guy nobody really knows anything about. Other top targets turned down the opportunity...

I’m not one to pass up a chance to rip the FO. I think waiting a week to fire Doug was stupid. Once Dallas eliminated us, it’s not like there was big pressure to get ready for Washington. Lurie could have used that week to set aside some time to get Doug’s idea on the direction he wanted to take the staff, then fired him on Black Monday if he didn’t rethink things. 

That said, I don’t have an issue with the search itself. Their top candidates obviously stayed put or took other jobs. That could be for any number of reasons, and the presence of Howie is highly likely part of the reason. That in itself is an issue, albeit a separate one. I don’t mind that Lurie went as in depth with the number of interviews that he did. Aside from maybe Aurther Smith, I can’t think of any other candidate that I feel was a big miss. Daboll would have been nice, but it sounded like he wasn’t interested. No interest in Bienemy. 

I’m really interested in seeing how this staff works out. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Bold move going to the Lions to prove you deserve to be a coach.

They also didn't value him enough to be an OC though. I feel the assistant HC is a gimmick title to make them feel more valuable and have a bit more responsibilities.

I wish him the best in Detroit.

16 minutes ago, mihailo said:

They also didn't value him enough to be an OC though. I feel the assistant HC is a gimmick title to make them feel more valuable and have a bit more responsibilities.

I wish him the best in Detroit.

Yeah, it really is a gimmick.

2 hours ago, nipples said:

Ok but you have to consider the talent levels of those backs. NO coach can just make any bad player great. Look at all the backs you listed that Duce failed to develop, and tell me how many went elsewhere and were turned into good players by other coaches. I can’t think of any. In fact, Duce got better production out of Smallwood than anyone else did after he was let go. Same could be said for Bryce Brown. 

But we aren't asking him to make them great. We're asking him to make them serviceable, when many of them were not. What has Duce done, other than hitch onto a good offensive line and established players?

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

Or get repeatedly passed over by external candidates.  

There was no sign of that changing here so if he wanted to get out of a long running rut he needed to do something. I wish him luck, hope he gets to demonstrate talents he was never able to demonstrate here.

glad he landed on his feet. I wish him all the luck in the world and hope one day he ends up a successful Head Coach

On 1/22/2021 at 9:34 PM, Madriver said:

He needs a change of scenery to help his career. Been stuck in one place/system too long.

3 different coaches.. 3 different systems

51 minutes ago, Swoop said:

But we aren't asking him to make them great. We're asking him to make them serviceable, when many of them were not. What has Duce done, other than hitch onto a good offensive line and established players?

well we don't really know what type of impact he had on Miles Sanders and Boston Scott. For all we know, he's the reason why they're as good as they are. 

59 minutes ago, Swoop said:

My point is not every player is good enough to pan out, regardless of how good the coaching is. The fact that none of those backs did anything outside of Philly pretty much confirms they just weren’t good enough players. 

1 hour ago, JohnB said:

well we don't really know what type of impact he had on Miles Sanders and Boston Scott. For all we know, he's the reason why they're as good as they are. 

I gave him credit for the two of them, already. We did see Sanders regress in terms of catching the ball this season, though. Good for Duce, a solid starter and a third down back in eight years. That's some player development.

1 hour ago, nipples said:

My point is not every player is good enough to pan out, regardless of how good the coaching is. The fact that none of those backs did anything outside of Philly pretty much confirms they just weren’t good enough players. 

I understand your point. 

Here's mine:

If Duce also showed zero capability in developing the vast majority of backs that came through this offense, behind some very good OLs and on some good teams, why are people so bent on him going elsewhere? So he can develop a third down back every decade(ish)?