Update: Duce Staley hired by Lions as RB/Asst HC

Macho Grande

1 hour ago, eglz1 said:

There was no sign of that changing here so if he wanted to get out of a long running rut he needed to do something.

Exactly my point.  

I don't care for the sense of entitlement.

Jeff Stoutland is the best position coach on the Eagles by far.  He's been with the team since 2013. 

Where are all the outcries that he wasn't hired as head coach?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Swoop said:

If Duce also showed zero capability in developing the vast majority of backs that came through this offense, behind some very good OLs and on some good teams, why are people so bent on him going elsewhere? So he can develop a third down back every decade(ish)? 

Actually, that's a good reason for a fan to want him to leave - but I see the point you were making and agree - while a great player, he was an average position coach who had no business being in the conversation to become head coach.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And I too interview on a regular basis and I do agree you don't always want the first person. But that's not really my point here. The process was a mess, the organization appears dysfunctional. 

1.  In 1999 - the press and fans said the Eagles organization was a mess and dysfunctional.  The team hired Andy Reid and did quite good for itself although the Eagles were widely panned for hiring a QB coach with no head coaching experience.

2.  In 2016 - the Eagles were widely criticized for hiring Doug Pederson as head coach.  The team won the Super Bowl the next year.

Bottom line is that none of us really know anything that's going on behind the scenes in the hiring process.  UK - you are over there in UK and are unfamiliar with the Philly sports press which routinely stirs things up and makes things seem different from that which they are.  And you really have no basis to call the hiring process a mess simply because the team interviewed a lot of candidates during a 10 day window.  The smart teams do that to get as much free info and intelligence as they can.

13 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I’m not one to pass up a chance to rip the FO. I think waiting a week to fire Doug was stupid. Once Dallas eliminated us, it’s not like there was big pressure to get ready for Washington. Lurie could have used that week to set aside some time to get Doug’s idea on the direction he wanted to take the staff, then fired him on Black Monday if he didn’t rethink things. 

That said, I don’t have an issue with the search itself. Their top candidates obviously stayed put or took other jobs. That could be for any number of reasons, and the presence of Howie is highly likely part of the reason. That in itself is an issue, albeit a separate one. I don’t mind that Lurie went as in depth with the number of interviews that he did. Aside from maybe Aurther Smith, I can’t think of any other candidate that I feel was a big miss. Daboll would have been nice, but it sounded like he wasn’t interested. No interest in Bienemy. 

I’m really interested in seeing how this staff works out. 

This nails it.         Regarding Duce, none of us know exactly how qualified he is to advance beyond being a position coach, but it does speak volumes that the organization where he spent his career didn't see fit to promote him beyond a fancier title.         I have a huge problem with the 'entitlement' mentality of people saying "he paid his dues, he "deserves" to be promoted'.         In the real world, you don't deserve anything, you earn it - well, at least that's how it used to be.

I'm very happy the Eagles are bringing in an entirely fresh coaching group (and keeping Stoutland) - I only wish the same was being done in the front office.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, mjkvol said:

This nails it.         Regarding Duce, none of us know exactly how qualified he is to advance beyond being a position coach, but it does speak volumes that the organization where he spent his career didn't see fit to promote him beyond a fancier title.         I have a huge problem with the 'entitlement' mentality of people saying "he paid his dues, he "deserves" to be promoted'.         In the real world, you don't deserve anything, you earn it - well, at least that's how it used to be.

I'm very happy the Eagles are bringing in an entirely fresh coaching group (and keeping Stoutland) - I only wish the same was being done in the front office.

Maybe with letting Nick get his guys and starting basically from scratch on the coaching level that opens the door for an actual collaboration with the coaches and Howie on who gets picked. 

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Maybe with letting Nick get his guys and starting basically from scratch on the coaching level that opens the door for an actual collaboration with the coaches and Howie on who gets picked. 

That would be great and the way it should work. I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

That would be great and the way it should work. I'm not holding my breath.

Neither am I.... 

A lot of the backs we cut go on to start elsewhere and do well. Duce was a big part of that development. I'm going to miss him from that perspective but he needed to get out of Philly and give it a go.

25 minutes ago, Vileborg said:

A lot of the backs we cut go on to start elsewhere and do well. Duce was a big part of that development. I'm going to miss him from that perspective but he needed to get out of Philly and give it a go.

Like who? That is a genuine question because I can't think of one back that played for duce that played well somewhere else after being cut. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

My problem is with Roseman being involved at all with the draft, much less being the guy making the call.         The fact that Lurie realized a fresh start was necessary on the field but kept the weakest link in the organization in place really makes you wonder what the hell he is thinking.

I want a legitimate NFL GM, who will ask for input on the coaches and will have a scouting team that he trusts in place helping him reach a decision.          I hear the word "collaborative" and it sounds like too many clueless 'chiefs', and we end up with the mess we've had.           I want one solid guy who knows what he's doing making the call after  he gathers the information he needs.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mjkvol said:

My problem is with Roseman being involved at all with the draft, much less being the guy making the call.         The fact that Lurie realized a fresh start was necessary on the field but kept the weakest link in the organization in place really makes you wonder what the hell he is thinking.

Couldn't agree more. Howie is the single biggest issue with this organisation. And the fact that Lurie hasn't recognised that says that Lurie is part of the problem too. 

• Like 2

Just now, mjkvol said:

I want a legitimate NFL GM, who will ask for input on the coaches and will have a scouting team that he trusts in place helping him reach a decision.          I hear the word "collaborative" and it sounds like too many clueless 'chiefs', and we end up with the mess we've had.           I want one solid guy who knows what he's doing making the call after  he gathers the information he needs.

Agreed, I don't really expect anything to be any different starting fresh with all new coaches. I was just at least hoping that's what becomes of this but, even if it is more like the way you said Howie is still in charge of this so probably won't matter anyways. 

• Like 1

Duce has shown close to zero ability to coach up players that aren't already established during his time here.

"But, the guys haven't been talented. It's not his fault!"

Right, but if the guys aren't talented and Duce has repeatedly shown he needs an established, good running back to at least be competent, what are we actually losing by getting rid of him? We can get one of you in there to do as good a job at that point.

4 hours ago, Vileborg said:

Name one.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Couldn't agree more. Howie is the single biggest issue with this organisation. And the fact that Lurie hasn't recognised that says that Lurie is part of the problem too. 

What people don't get is that Howie really is Lurie.  Lurie likes to get involved in the day to day affairs of the team and does so through Howie.  Think of Howie as Lurie's personal attorney for football matters. 

That's why Lurie took it personally when Chip Kelly brushed Howie aside.

7 hours ago, Procus said:

That's why Lurie took it personally when Chip Kelly brushed Howie aside.

Lurie allowed that to happen though. Lurie didn't have to give Chip complete control. 

37 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Lurie allowed that to happen though. Lurie didn't have to give Chip complete control. 

he wanted to give Chip enough rope to hang himself with

6 minutes ago, Procus said:

he wanted to give Chip enough rope to hang himself with

And what if he hadn't? Chip as a coach wasn't that bad, Chip as a GM was. But what if Chip actually was quite a good GM? What if that had worked out better?

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And what if he hadn't? Chip as a coach wasn't that bad, Chip as a GM was. But what if Chip actually was quite a good GM? What if that had worked out better?

Then the team brass would have been happy and kept him.  Everything is not always a conspiracy as many would like to believe.

• Like 1