Eagles hire Shane Steichen as OC (Chargers OC)

eaglesfan0075

Reported by NFL.com this morning.

He was one of two candidates interviewed yesterday, along with Curtis Modkins, Broncos RB coach.

Steichen was credited for being a big part of Justin Herbert's development this past season. Worked with Nick Sirianni for 4 years with the Chargers. Also has QB coach and WR coach experience in the past.

Thoughts?

I don’t know much about him, but just like with Siri and Gannon, I’m intrigued more by the fact that I know so little about this staff. I only know I like Stoutland returning. Everyone else...clean slate. Let’s see what they can do. 

• Like 14

Interesting. Chargers had Herbert under center a lot. That was a big change in their offense. Got rid of the quick passes under Wiz and went to play action and let the kid throw it. Little bit of a contradiction from what I thought Nick was all about. 

• Like 1

One newspaper said that Nick and him worked for 4 years with the Chargers and he is Nick's old friend. We will see how this works out.

3 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

One newspaper said that Nick and him worked for 4 years with the Chargers and he is Nick's old friend. We will see how this works out.

People still read newspapers?

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

a very close nit staff. i just fear that we lack experience in the staff. a true HC. i would have preferred Jim Caldwell as a voice of experience.

1 minute ago, Perforator said:

People still read newspapers?

Yes..some people do. Newspaper also said that Shane is 35 years old. LOL.

11 minutes ago, stinkfist said:

Interesting. Chargers had Herbert under center a lot. That was a big change in their offense. Got rid of the quick passes under Wiz and went to play action and let the kid throw it. Little bit of a contradiction from what I thought Nick was all about. 

Interesting

It looks like they’re transforming into the "Pro Set” offense from Wentz’ college days. I always thought Wentz was really good selling play action.

This does not seem to be great news for Jalen Hurts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

Interesting

It looks like they’re transforming into the "Pro Set” offense from Wentz’ college days. I always thought Wentz was really good selling play action.

This does not seem to be great news for Jalen Hurts.

Jalen Hurts is not a finished product. He can throw a very nice spiral as well. If Hurts sits for a year and learns under Nick ..I believe that he will demonstrate that he is not a running back who can throw..but  a QB that can also run. Looking forward to it.

• Like 3

I like it. It feels like the Eagles are building something, instead of just throwing some pieces together to find out if it works.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, toolg said:

I like it. It feels like the Eagles are building something, instead of just throwing some pieces together to find out if it works.

I agree.  Close-knit staff.  Starting anew and fresh.  Gonna be a big roster purge this offseason as well.  I'm WAY more excited for this coming season than I was for 2020.

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

I agree.  Close-knit staff.  Starting anew and fresh.  Gonna be a big roster purge this offseason as well.  I'm WAY more excited for this coming season than I was for 2020.

It does appear that Sirianni is able to bring in "his guys" which is a good sign. If he can find a way to add a former HC on staff as a mentor, it'll only help (assuming no personality issues).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

It is going to be a rough year because of the new staff and the purge. I just hope that they fight and improve as the year moves on.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

It is going to be a rough year because of the new staff and the purge. I just hope that they fight and improve as the year moves on.

If they can manage to get carson back on track it might be one of those quick bounce backs. Depending on how last year's and this year's draft pick develope and contribute

41 minutes ago, jblah said:

a very close nit staff. i just fear that we lack experience in the staff. a true HC. i would have preferred Jim Caldwell as a voice of experience.

Yea I don't see us bringing in a veteran coaching voice at this point, however Stoutland will likely be one of the people Sirianni leans on. Stout has been here for quite a while now. May not be a HC but he has been around the block. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Same here.  I don’t expect instantaneous results ... there are certainly going to be growing pains.  But the interest level is a lot higher for me.  I knew this past season was going to be a clunker long before it started.  

• Like 1

They are allowing Siri to get his guys. This is good news and a good hire. The offensive scheme should be looking good with this collaboration. They have worked closely together before. I am so glad Lurie and Howie are not as "hands on" as I thought they would be with a new coach. Maybe the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a freight train coming at us after all. One can hope.

TATERS, this whole thing is feeling really fresh. I like it.

• Like 4

Can't argue the new guy isn't allowed to bring in those whom he wants.  Siri might know Moorehead from his time with the Colts?  If so, at least we should get a fair eval on his chances of remaining on staff. 

2 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Reported by NFL.com this morning.

He was one of two candidates interviewed yesterday, along with Curtis Modkins, Broncos RB coach.

Steichen was credited for being a big part of Justin Herbert's development this past season. Worked with Nick Sirianni for 4 years with the Chargers. Also has QB coach and WR coach experience in the past.

Thoughts?

Good hire for this regime. Familiarity will help the whole process move forward a lot better. I like the freshness of all of this now. My 1st reaction to the HC hire was "WHO??" But now I like the newness and freshness of it all. I HATED what went on with all the staff last year. I wanted them to clean house, and clean house they have, with more to come on the players side of things.

1 hour ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

It does appear that Sirianni is able to bring in "his guys" which is a good sign. If he can find a way to add a former HC on staff as a mentor, it'll only help (assuming no personality issues).

I think Stoutland is gonna be a shoulder to lean on for him.  Was hoping for Lynn at OC, but Steichen made Herbert a rookie year stud.

1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

That's what I want to see.  I plan to look at it via the following: FA/Draft, TC/Preseason (if we have one), Weeks 1-4, Weeks 5-8, Weeks 9-14, Weeks 15-17.  I hope to see progression from phase to phase.

29 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Same here.  I don’t expect instantaneous results ... there are certainly going to be growing pains.  But the interest level is a lot higher for me.  I knew this past season was going to be a clunker long before it started.  

Yeah I'm excited for the rebuild.  

4 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Surprised they could get him

I'm pleasantly surprised as well.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Good hire for this regime. Familiarity will help the whole process move forward a lot better. I like the freshness of all of this now. My 1st reaction to the HC hire was "WHO??" But now I like the newness and freshness of it all. I HATED what went on with all the staff last year. I wanted them to clean house, and clean house they have, with more to come on the players side of things.

Howie is still here.  : (

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Traveler Vic said:

Howie is still here.  : (

Why you gotta hit me with reality, man!!?? :roll:

• Haha 2