Eagles hire Shane Steichen as OC (Chargers OC)

eaglesfan0075

Here is a little quick blurb about his offensive style:

Steichen coached alongside new Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni in LA, serving as the Chargers' interim offensive coordinator in 2019 before taking on the full-time role in 2020 and coaching Justin Herbert to one of the best rookie QB campaigns in league history. Now he'll be charged with fixing Carson Wentz and developing Jalen Hurts as the Eagles will answer questions all offseason about which quarterback will be handed the reins in 2021. The Chargers under Steichen ran the ball at a top-10 rate on first down even though they notched just 3.9 yards per tote on those plays. That commitment to establishing the run could be a boon for Miles Sanders' 2021 prospects. 

This past year, in Steichen’s one full season as offensive coordinator, the Chargers ranked 9th in the NFL in total yards, 6th in passing yards, 6th in first downs and 9th in 3rd-down conversions but only 21st in red-zone scoring and 30th in rushing yards per play. They averaged 24.0 points per game, 19th-most in the NFL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Here is a little quick blurb about his offensive style:

Steichen coached alongside new Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni in LA, serving as the Chargers' interim offensive coordinator in 2019 before taking on the full-time role in 2020 and coaching Justin Herbert to one of the best rookie QB campaigns in league history. Now he'll be charged with fixing Carson Wentz and developing Jalen Hurts as the Eagles will answer questions all offseason about which quarterback will be handed the reins in 2021. The Chargers under Steichen ran the ball at a top-10 rate on first down even though they notched just 3.9 yards per tote on those plays. That commitment to establishing the run could be a boon for Miles Sanders' 2021 prospects. 

This past year, in Steichen’s one full season as offensive coordinator, the Chargers ranked 9th in the NFL in total yards, 6th in passing yards, 6th in first downs and 9th in 3rd-down conversions but only 21st in red-zone scoring and 30th in rushing yards per play. They averaged 24.0 points per game, 19th-most in the NFL.

I attribute some of their lack of run game production to losing Gordon, and then not having Ekeler for most of the season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Reported by NFL.com this morning.

He was one of two candidates interviewed yesterday, along with Curtis Modkins, Broncos RB coach.

Steichen was credited for being a big part of Justin Herbert's development this past season. Worked with Nick Sirianni for 4 years with the Chargers. Also has QB coach and WR coach experience in the past.

Thoughts?

With the Coach and OC background sounds like they are all in on getting Wentz back to form. 

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Same here.  I don’t expect instantaneous results ... there are certainly going to be growing pains.  But the interest level is a lot higher for me.  I knew this past season was going to be a clunker long before it started.  

Seriously, and even though Andy is back in the big game, this year should have an asterisk for everybody. No offseason, messed up scheduling...not a real NFL season IMO.

Here's a link - this is how you break news fellas. ;)

https://www.nfl.com/news/eagles-hiring-shane-steichen-as-offensive-coordinator

The pieces of the Philadelphia Eagles' new coaching staff are coming together.

The Eagles have agreed to terms with former Los Angeles Chargers OC Shane Steichen to be their new offensive coordinator, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday, per a source informed of the situation.

Steichen reunites with Eagles new head coach Nick Sirianni, who was officially hired on Sunday. The two worked together with the Chargers for four years until Sirianni left for Indianapolis in 2018.

Steichen got his NFL coaching start in Cleveland in 2013 as a quality control coach. He moved to San Diego the next season as a quality control coach for 2014-2015. When Sirianni was moved from QB coach to WR coach in 2016, Steichen managed the quarterbacks' room. The 35-year-old took over the Chargers offense last year and was OC for the 2020 campaign.

Steichen was credited with helping nurture rookie Justin Herbert in L.A. this season. With the Eagles, Steichen's experience with QB will play a big role, as Philly seeks to rebuild Carson Wentz after a season of struggles.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Perforator said:

People still read newspapers?

*Raises hand* Only on Sunday though, the Philly Inq.

I am liking these hires. Good clean slate of new Coaches, yes?

New Coach is like 'I want this guy, I want that guy'. Ok go and get them!!

Hopefully this guy is young and innovative. I also hope this staff is more fortunate when it comes to injuries that the previous group. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Same here.  I don’t expect instantaneous results ... there are certainly going to be growing pains.  But the interest level is a lot higher for me.  I knew this past season was going to be a clunker long before it started.  

i guess its time to say: Trust the process

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madriver said:

Seriously, and even though Andy is back in the big game, this year should have an asterisk for everybody. No offseason, messed up scheduling...not a real NFL season IMO.

I really didn't care how we did this season because I saw it as an asterisk season. If there was a season to stink it up, this was the one. I really thought Doug would get a pass for this bad season because of the circumstances but think the Wentz situation made it all but certain there needed to be coaching change.

Good to see Siri is able to bring his own guys in. Should make for an interesting 2021 even if it is a rebuilding year with low expectations.

• Like 1

Would have preferred they went in some other directions with OC but we will see. 

Just like Teh hiring of Sirianni I'm very much indifferent to it all until I see how it all plays out during the season. 

6 hours ago, jblah said:

a very close nit staff. i just fear that we lack experience in the staff. a true HC. i would have preferred Jim Caldwell as a voice of experience.

I like JIm Caldwell as the QB coach. His last job with Miami was Asst. HC/ QB Coach. 

I just wonder if he has the right demeanor to coach Wentz. He seems very mild mannered and I’m not sure how Wentz would respond to that kind of coaching. 

52 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Would have preferred they went in some other directions with OC but we will see. 

Just like Teh hiring of Sirianni I'm very much indifferent to it all until I see how it all plays out during the season. 

Wait when were you allowed to join? And how come we don’t have izdum? 

• Haha 3

Not surprising - called this a few days ago given background with Sirianni and the new Chargers regime.

Would love to see them follow up with Mike McCoy or Pep Hamilton as QB coach now. Also wonder if the Wiz would consider TE coach / Assistant HC position here with this staff 

Side note, interesting direction the Chargers are taking - i wouldn’t have been so keen to get rid of Steichen (and potentially Pep) - guys closest to your franchise QB, Herbert, after the rookie year he just had!

3 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

With the Coach and OC background sounds like they are all in on getting Wentz back to form. 

Totally agree.

Indy runs a multiple route mesh offense with several reads to be made depending on the coverage. So unless they can trade Wentz and draft a high level QB, I think it is safe to say they are all in on Wentz. I cannot see them projecting Hurts into that type of offense as he has yet to develop the ability to make multiple reads and/or stop himself from running before going through his progressions. Makes sense as they have invested so much draft and financial capital into Wentz that it would be hard to cut their loses after one bad year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maga301 said:

Yea I don't see us bringing in a veteran coaching voice at this point, however Stoutland will likely be one of the people Sirianni leans on. Stout has been here for quite a while now. May not be a HC but he has been around the block. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Caldwell hired in some capacity if he doesn’t get the HC job with the Texans. He seems like the perfect compliment to this young coaching staff. 

58 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Thanks- I needed a reminder there. I need to put links in some of my posts. Duly noted.

People want to be first but they post with no links, tweets, or anything (this one at least saw it on TV).  But we've seen plenty of rumors, speculation and things posted.  Remember when everyone was so sure Josh McDaniels was the hire?

Then people read the first post and don't see the "proof" until later it raises questions.  We run a tight ship here!  :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Usain23 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Caldwell hired in some capacity if he doesn’t get the HC job with the Texans. He seems like the perfect compliment to this young coaching staff. 

Call me paranoid after how Doug’s staff got raided and the impact that had but I want a few potential longer-term OC candidates on the staff, especially at the QB coach position. Steichen is young and and an offensive coach. So if we have success, he’ll be a HC candidate very soon (will have Herbert + Eagles turnaround on resume).

Caldwell would be ideal but his health scares me - who knows how long he can be around for. I’d prefer a Mike McCoy or Pep Hamilton (or even Josh McCown) in that role. 

I like all the different influences. Patullo an RPO guy...

1 minute ago, mihailo said:

Passing game coordinator. :roll: 

Another fictitious 'feel good' title?

The Eagles are the kings of useless titles. Howie has racked up like 100 of them. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Chargers offense plays fast and throws the ball to star WRs....we just need a star WR.  
I really like these guys they brought in.  You’re going to see the team playing fast on both sides of the ball.  A lot of quick reads and getting guys into space so they can run.  We’re gonna see how "fast”  Reagor is or isn’t that’s for sure.  And we’re going to find out really quickly if Carson can read a defense and take the easy play.  If he can’t, he won’t last.