Eagles hire Shane Steichen as OC (Chargers OC)

eaglesfan0075

On 1/27/2021 at 12:57 PM, time2rock said:

It will be interesting to see if he does play better in a different scheme (that apparently will play more to the strengths of the players Siri has at his disposal rather than the scheme he has played in up until now where Doug wanted you to fit his scheme, not the other way around).  

I hope he does actually. I hope Reagor does also. It’s maddening to see other people draft players after us at the same position and make our guys look like complete jokes. 150+ (Scratch that 100 plus) catches between Jalen and JJAW would be a good thing to see. I’m not holding my breath though. 

21 hours ago, time2rock said:

I would have liked either Pep Hamilton or Jon Caldwell, but I’m not making any judgements until we see the product on the field.  I’m completely open minded about Steichen and with Sirianni handling play calling duties.  

He related to Jim Caldwell?

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

He related to Jim Caldwell?

Oh shoot, I probably typed Jin or Jom by accident and it autocorrected to Jon.  :facepalm:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Oh shoot, I probably typed Jin or Jom by accident and it autocorrected to Jon.  :facepalm:

I just thought maybe there was a wish.com version of Jim out there we could get on the cheap. 

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2021 at 11:50 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Hopefully this guy is young and innovative. I also hope this staff is more fortunate when it comes to injuries that the previous group. 

This is what i like about hiring new/younger coaches. You have a chance at getting a innovator and winner.  Recycled coaches are not my bag.   There’s a reason they recycled.  

now it doesnt work out that often i admit.  Chip is a perfect example of a new to head coaching in the nfl and f’ing up a team really bad.  

But there is still that chance. 

plus our division rivals have to start from scratch on game planning against us.  Huge plus concerning our offense was beyond stale and predictable the last 2 years

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

This is what i like about hiring new/younger coaches. You have a chance at getting a innovator and winner.  Recycled coaches are not my bag.   There’s a reason they recycled.  

now it doesnt work out that often i admit.  Chip is a perfect example of a new to head coaching in the nfl and f’ing up a team really bad.  

But there is still that chance. 

plus our division rivals have to start from scratch on game planning against us.  Huge plus concerning our offense was beyond stale and predictable the last 2 years

Not sure how complicated the offense could have been considering how many different players had to be used. Can’t be too complicated when they have to use double digit line combinations. 

13 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Not sure how complicated the offense could have been considering how many different players had to be used. Can’t be too complicated when they have to use double digit line combinations. 

Yeah good point

6 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

Yeah good point

Hopefully the new staff doesn’t have to deal with so many injuries. 

I know nothing about any of these coaches they are signing.  That could be a good thing or a bad thing.  I guess we will see how it all plays out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

I know nothing about any of these coaches they are signing.  That could be a good thing or a bad thing.  I guess we will see how it all plays out.

And that's the thing. Coaching hires seem to be a bit of a crap shoot. So many factors that go in to whether a coach can be successful. I'm excited to see what these new coaches can do whilst hesitant to get carried away. 

On 2/2/2021 at 4:17 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And that's the thing. Coaching hires seem to be a bit of a crap shoot. So many factors that go in to whether a coach can be successful. I'm excited to see what these new coaches can do whilst hesitant to get carried away. 

Ultimately this guy will not be calling the plays anyway. We won’t know how much this guy will be involved. 

5 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Ultimately this guy will not be calling the plays anyway. We won’t know how much this guy will be involved. 

I mean yeah you're right but you'd like to think as OC he's going to be heavily involved. Sirianni needs the support especially as a first time HC.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean yeah you're right but you'd like to think as OC he's going to be heavily involved. Sirianni needs the support especially as a first time HC.

You would think they would have some kind of veteran coaching presence with him, but they are all just young and inexperienced. I’m just hoping it will all work out. 

Of all the new hires, this is the one that really worries me. We haven't had a strong OC since 2017. His offense in LA was anemic and the fans were glad to see him go.

I'm hoping this change of scenery and coaching will motivate him.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 3:48 PM, Madriver said:

Of all the new hires, this is the one that really worries me. We haven't had a strong OC since 2017. His offense in LA was anemic and the fans were glad to see him go.

I'm hoping this change of scenery and coaching will motivate him.

Well don't really have much to go off of he only had 1 full year as an offensive coordinator at the age of 34. He also had a rookie QB and didn't have melvin Gordon. 18th in the league in points isn't great obviously but some of his other rankings were pretty good. 

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well don't really have much to go off of he only had 1 full year as an offensive coordinator at the age of 34. He also had a rookie QB and didn't have melvin Gordon. 18th in the league in points isn't great obviously but some of his other rankings were pretty good. 

And the thing is... So much depends on the situation. I mean Reich didn't do a great job for the Chargers before he joined the Eagles. In fact I recall a number of fans being somewhat underwhelmed by the hire at the time. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And the thing is... So much depends on the situation. I mean Reich didn't do a great job for the Chargers before he joined the Eagles. In fact I recall a number of fans being somewhat underwhelmed by the hire at the time. 

Exactly and it was because the chargers fired Reich after his 1 and only offensive coordinator position because his run game was putrid. 

So no reason to write this guy off already just because of his one mediocre season 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Talonblood said:

I'm revisiting this hire. Having had time to study it, I think this is the best hire of this offseason.

322297368_giphy(1)(2).gif.17cef2b9e81a09ec26e3317e83b78a5c.gif

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

So no reason to write this guy off already just because of his one mediocre season

Exactly. He may be good here, he may be bad here. There's no telling. And a lot is going to depend on what he's given to work with. Right now I don't like his chances based on what he's got to work with on offense.