Eagles hire Shane Steichen as OC (Chargers OC)

eaglesfan0075

On 1/25/2021 at 9:47 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Howie special. 

FA6EE245-127F-4E96-ABAD-4403D7C458F7.jpeg

Or if there is any truth to the rumors, the Lurie special.  I sure hope those rumors aren't true.  The owner meddling in with staff hires is one thing.  Meddling in with who we draft is another level of absurdity.  Howie is more than capable of f*******g up the draft by himself!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

I hope JJAW turns it around man. That umbrella pic is ruthless lol.

It will be interesting to see if he does play better in a different scheme (that apparently will play more to the strengths of the players Siri has at his disposal rather than the scheme he has played in up until now where Doug wanted you to fit his scheme, not the other way around).  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EagleVA said:

True, but was looking at from a talent available point of view.

I get that but I'm just not convinced they see it as a priority or a now or never situation. I think this draft will be about filling in glaring holes and shedding cap. We have Wentz and Hurts which I think they see as not being a horrible QB situation going into a rebuilding year. Does a trade happen where they unload Wentz (not likely) or Hurts (more likely) and grab a QB.....possible.  I just don't see them sacrificing a pick this year to get the future QB. Until the season starts, the future QB is still Wentz.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

Or if there is any truth to the rumors, the Lurie special.  I sure hope those rumors aren't true.  The owner meddling in with staff hires is one thing.  Meddling in with who we draft is another level of absurdity.  Howie is more than capable of f*******g up the draft by himself!  

There are so many "reports" about this team you never know what's true.  There are executives that throw out ideas and then people under them run around like chickens with their heads cut off thinking they MUST do it because the owner/CEO has mandated it.  I've seen it in corporate life, the CEO or VP or whoever poses a question or what if.  It may be a dumb idea that shouldn't happen and someone has to find a way to say it nicely, or say they researched and it's not feasible, blah blah.  There are executives that come up with bad ideas and it's outside their area of expertise and you have to "manage" them in a way.

For all we know, Lurie heard from the scouts that JJAW compares to Alshon Jeffrey and Lurie could have said it would be nice to find a player with his skill set to replace Jeffrey.  Maybe not demand they draft JJAW.  Then it becomes "we have to draft JJAW because Lurie wants him."  Or, maybe Lurie did insist on drafting him who knows.  But just saying that's one possible interpretation of things.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 3:03 PM, SBorBust said:

Everything lines up:

- Good QB talent available

- Rebuilding year

- Roster purge will make it difficult to win, but a healthy offensive line will be able to protect your new franchise QB

I would do it this year. I don’t think they will, though.

From what we're hearing the C suite wants to make a real effort to salvage Wentz. I guess we'll see. I'm sure they'll be able to find a starter quality QB in next year's draft or the year after.

7 hours ago, Thing3 said:

I get that but I'm just not convinced they see it as a priority or a now or never situation. I think this draft will be about filling in glaring holes and shedding cap. We have Wentz and Hurts which I think they see as not being a horrible QB situation going into a rebuilding year. Does a trade happen where they unload Wentz (not likely) or Hurts (more likely) and grab a QB.....possible.  I just don't see them sacrificing a pick this year to get the future QB. Until the season starts, the future QB is still Wentz.

It's never a now or never situation but if you look at the skill level of this year's QB and our draft position.......

8 hours ago, Thing3 said:

I agree. They're going to roll with Wentz. The scheme that Indy ran suits him better than Hurts. Maybe if Hurts develops then he can step into the picture, but if they continue to run a lot of motion and multiple level WR routes that require the QB to read the defense and progress through different WRs, it does not look like it currently fits what Hurts does well. The team is all in on Wentz and will draft players to support him. If and only if they trade Wentz do I see them taking a QB with the 6th pick. If they trade Hurts, I can see them using a later pick to fill that spot. 

4 hours ago, kentwo said:

I agree. They're going to roll with Wentz. The scheme that Indy ran suits him better than Hurts. Maybe if Hurts develops then he can step into the picture, but if they continue to run a lot of motion and multiple level WR routes that require the QB to read the defense and progress through different WRs, it does not look like it currently fits what Hurts does well. The team is all in on Wentz and will draft players to support him. If and only if they trade Wentz do I see them taking a QB with the 6th pick. If they trade Hurts, I can see them using a later pick to fill that spot. 

To be honest though... I'm not sure that really fits what Wentz can do. Not based on last year when they had to simplify the offense because he could not read defenses. I'm actually not all that sure Wentz is that good at reading defenses to tell the truth. In his best year in 2017 he made spectacular play after spectacular play, it was more about his athleticism that it was his ability to read a defense. I mean we heard last year he apparently (and yes this is just a report) changed plays at the line but that didn't work out so well did it?  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

To be honest though... I'm not sure that really fits what Wentz can do. Not based on last year when they had to simplify the offense because he could not read defenses. I'm actually not all that sure Wentz is that good at reading defenses to tell the truth. In his best year in 2017 he made spectacular play after spectacular play, it was more about his athleticism that it was his ability to read a defense. I mean we heard last year he apparently (and yes this is just a report) changed plays at the line but that didn't work out so well did it?  

I must have missed that report.  The one I saw didn't say they simplified the offense because he couldn't read defenses.  It said injuries and the constant turnover in the starting lineup was the reason. In essence, it was simplified because of other players.

I will also admit that I haven't read many articles on this, because it's hard to determine hate/opinion from fact.  Its always an unnamed source.

Interesting about both Steichen and Sirianni is both started their coaching careers on defense for a bit before moving to offense. I don't know if it's that big a deal but it's interesting that these offensive coaches have even just a little defensive coaching experience to understand that side of the ball a bit more?  

Also the HC and OC both have been QB coaches in the past.  When they drafted Wentz, they said they wanted to be a QB University (before they became a factory) and Pederson, Reich and Flip were all former QBs who played and/or had experience as QB coaches.

54 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Yikes. Not many good reports there.

I'm hoping that the Frazier/Steichen relationship was the problem and not Shane himself being a poor playcaller.

Maybe with a new coach and system it can work for him. But it does sound like Herbert bailed them out, sort of like how Wentz tried to bail us out with athleticism instead of smarts.

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think it fits Wentz more than Hurts at least until Hurts can progress through multiple reads. In the 2017 season, he did make Roethlisberger type of plays, but he also showed drop back QB skills. Those showed up in 18-19 as well. In 2019, defenses knew he had no WRs and was going to throw to the TEs, but he still did enough to win games. He hasn't shown that he is at the Rodgers, Brees, Brady level of QB smarts, but at least competent enough to be an above average NFL QB. This is all dependent on if last year's hits on Carson haven't rattled him to the point of being too skittish in the pocket.

I haven't see any evidence about him changing plays to make things worse. BUT if it did happen I think it could be more on Doug's play calling. For most of last year, the Eagles were near the bottom of the league in pre-snap motion and stacked formations. Teams usually set up those things to help QBs read defenses (i.e. who is following the man in motion? Zone or man? How are DBs lining up on bunch formations? etc...) So if Doug isn't setting up those formations then perhaps Carson couldn't make proper reads. Of course, it is impossible to know as no one but Carson can say what he was reading before each snap. One thing we can see is that the team's offense wasn't set up to be very successful for most of the year, except when Hurts came in, for some reason they started to use more of those pre-snap read formations (possibly to spread out the defense more as they know Hurts likes to run or maybe the Oline and WRs were getting healthier so they felt they could do more?)

On 1/27/2021 at 7:13 AM, time2rock said:

A good way to stay in the good graces of the boss man is to let him do whatever he wants. 

On 1/26/2021 at 10:15 PM, Talonblood said:

Yo, number 19- grab the umbrella and YOU hold it FOR HER. That's what men do. Never mind. 🤣

Hey cut him some slack. He was dehydrated after all that standing on the sidelines. 😂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

There are serious concerns over this entire coaching staff. They’re all young and unproven coaching a bunch of over priced undisciplined players. Most of them have rings too boot. The only way these kids have a shot is to gut this roster and start from scratch. 

On 1/28/2021 at 3:33 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Feels like something snapped in Wentz after that injury in 2017 and we've only seen rare flashes of his abilities since then.  But, that being said, the situation also feels a lot to me like when Reid pushed McNabb to stay in the pocket after his season ending injury.  He was never as good in that scheme as he was running around out there. 

What I don't know about Wentz is how much of his bad play is due to his inability to return to is pre injury self, and how much of it is the scheme.

Guess we're about to find out. 

2 hours ago, The Norseman said:

Feels like something snapped in Wentz after that injury in 2017 and we've only seen rare flashes of his abilities since then.  But, that being said, the situation also feels a lot to me like when Reid pushed McNabb to stay in the pocket after his season ending injury.  He was never as good in that scheme as he was running around out there. 

What I don't know about Wentz is how much of his bad play is due to his inability to return to is pre injury self, and how much of it is the scheme.

Guess we're about to find out. 

Scheme, draft failures, injuries, aging talent, and relationships are all part of it, but none of these are instantly fixable.  That also doe not absolve Carson of some really bad play this year.  There are just a shot ton of issues here.

On 1/25/2021 at 5:48 PM, DBW said:

Chargers offense plays fast and throws the ball to star WRs....we just need a star WR.  
I really like these guys they brought in.  You’re going to see the team playing fast on both sides of the ball.  A lot of quick reads and getting guys into space so they can run.  We’re gonna see how "fast”  Reagor is or isn’t that’s for sure.  And we’re going to find out really quickly if Carson can read a defense and take the easy play.  If he can’t, he won’t last.  

Next year is a mystery. We are missing a few key ingredients..like a WR you mentioned. Most of of offensive line( No cojesion. Either injured or old or not good enough.) ,  and QB (if they stick with Wentz).  Also RBs were great under Duce, but next year ....is next year. Wait and see.

On 1/27/2021 at 7:13 AM, time2rock said:

Lurie was reportedly very impressed with the fact that JJAW had been an intern for Michelle Obama. See, it's information like that which dramatically raises a prospect's draft stock and makes him the BPA on draft weekend. :wacko:

I almost forgot. Sine the HC will be calling the plays on Sunday, just what is the new OC supposed to do again? Game planning I  guess.

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

Lurie was reportedly very impressed with the fact that JJAW had been an intern for Michelle Obama. See, it's information like that which dramatically raises a prospect's draft stock and makes him the BPA on draft weekend. :wacko:

I almost forgot. Sine the HC will be calling the plays on Sunday, just what is the new OC supposed to do again? Game planning I  guess.

Even though I was hoping for a more traditional structure following the reboot (with HC focused on leading the team overall and OC handling play calling duties) I suppose so long as the OC and HC can come up with some really creative game plans together that not only play to the strengths of our players but also strategically attack opponents' weaknesses, I suppose it doesn't matter as much who handles play calling duties. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Even though I was hoping for a more traditional structure following the reboot (with HC focused on leading the team overall and OC handling play calling duties) I suppose so long as the OC and HC can come up with some really creative game plans together that not only play to the strengths of our players but also strategically attack opponents' weaknesses, I suppose it doesn't matter as much who handles play calling duties. 

Agreed. I hope between Sirianni and Steichen they can really work something out. I do wish they'd gone a different direction with OC but hey it may work out. 

• Like 1

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. I hope between Sirianni and Steichen they can really work something out. I do wish they'd gone a different direction with OC but hey it may work out. 

I would have liked either Pep Hamilton or Jon Caldwell, but I’m not making any judgements until we see the product on the field.  I’m completely open minded about Steichen and with Sirianni handling play calling duties.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

I would have liked either Pep Hamilton or Jon Caldwell, but I’m not making any judgements until we see the product on the field.  I’m completely open minded about Steichen and with Sirianni handling play calling duties.  

Oh I agree. If they were going to go young then I would have liked a young hot prospect. I'm not sure Strichen is that but hey it may work out.