Eagles hire Brian Johnson as QB Coach (UTE QB Coach)

Utebird

Guy has a great resume for someone so young.

Most notable entry IMO is that he fought through injuries and coached up a team decimated by injuries to reach the college bowl games, which means he is tough. He also knows how to win through serious adversity.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Yup he recruited him.

Brian Johnson is an interesting guy. He's the Utes all time winningest qb after replacing Alex Smith. He played his first game at 17 then right out of college went into coaching on kyle wittingams staff then qb coach when Dennis erickson was the OC there and they ran a WCO.

He's still in his 30s but he has a ton of experience in different systems under some pretty good coaches and some pretty good qbs like Dak and  Greg ward at houston.

I haven't really been following him since he left Utah but when I saw his name pop up today as the eagles qb coach I said hey I remember that guy 

Be interesting to see how he does I think it's a good hire.

• Like 1

It's very interesting that they are hiring so many young coaches.  I don't know anything about these coaches other than what I read about them after they're hired, but on paper the idea of guys who are young and want to really make name for themselves in the NFL is interesting.  Of course, veteran coaching presence is valuable.  When Doug was hired, both his coordinators were experienced including Schwartz having former HC experience.

Who will be guiding these young coaches?  Surely not Howie, the fantasy football nerd playing GM.  It will be up to Sirianni to be this "leader of coaches" that Lurie said was the top thing he was looking for.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, NOTW said:

It's very interesting that they are hiring so many young coaches.  I don't know anything about these coaches other than what I read about them after they're hired, but on paper the idea of guys who are young and want to really make name for themselves in the NFL is interesting.  Of course, veteran coaching presence is valuable.  When Doug was hired, both his coordinators were experienced including Schwartz having former HC experience.

Who will be guiding these young coaches?  Surely not Howie, the fantasy football nerd playing GM.  It will be up to Sirianni to be this "leader of coaches" that Lurie said was the top thing he was looking for.

Hopefully Howie can keep his nose in his check book and out of the coaching.

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

Hopefully Howie can keep his nose in his check book and out of the coaching.

We'll see.  There were "reports" (unverified) that Howie was dictating to Doug who would dress and who would get reps, so Howie could validate his signings or draft picks.  Don't know if true.  But I hope that this next regime will shed some light on things.

If he fixes Wentz then he may end up getting promoted by some other team

17 minutes ago, NOTW said:

It's funny because there's a lot of old players

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

If he fixes Wentz then he may end up getting promoted by some other team

It's funny because there's a lot of old players

And they're rebuilding so many of those older players will be gone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

And they're rebuilding so many of those older players will be gone.

Well that's the hope. We'll see

10 minutes ago, NOTW said:

We'll see.  There were "reports" (unverified) that Howie was dictating to Doug who would dress and who would get reps, so Howie could validate his signings or draft picks.  Don't know if true.  But I hope that this next regime will shed some light on things.

Yup heard those same reports which is ridiculous but would explain why guys like Alshon and jeffrey  were playing and why it took so long for doug to bench Wentz and when he finally did he adamantly said it was a decision he came to and made on his own, suggesting that someone was making previous decisions for him, or " with" him.

I'm neutral on the doug firing I wasn't for or against it because I thought there were bigger issues the number one issue being Howie, 

I hope Siriani will be good but if Howie continues to do the same he did with pederson then doesn't matter who the coaches are they'll fail and howie will scapegoat them to save himself again.

Not only Howie but Lurie as well who reports have suggested has been more vocal in personnel decisions in the draft.

Lurie and Howie need to stay in their lanes and let the football people they hire to do football stuff do football stuff.

• Like 1

Think some of the older guys are gone now.  Just a matter of dollars and cents at which Howie is actually pretty good so he'll get the cap under control soon enough.

Cool, now make sure to prioritize coaching Wentz hard over being his best friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not the UTE QB Coach.  He was the QB coach with Dan Mullen at Mississippi State and came over to UF with Mullen as OC/QB Coach as well.

35 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

hmm...I'm not sure I'D quit AC/DC to be a coach......

Money Talks

(oh wait, that’s an AC~DC song!!). :lol:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AzBirdGang said:

This guy has known Hurts since he was little kid. 

Coincidence???? I think so. But the plot thickens 🤔

He was offensive coordinator for a team that actively recruited mobile dual threat quarterbacks. Will be interesting...

1 hour ago, AzBirdGang said:

This guy has known Hurts since he was little kid. 

As long as he’s not a priest, or Sandusky’s step son, all good then. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

He was offensive coordinator for a team that actively recruited mobile dual threat quarterbacks. Will be interesting...

Technically Wentz is a dual threat QB...

Surprised there isn't more talk about this hire probably signalling the teams overall intentions regarding the QB position - this guy recruited Hurts in high school & has known him since he was a kid. Do we think Wentz was consulted about this hire or was it sprung on him like the Hurts pick was?

Unless we hear something from Wentz soon, I've got to believe he'll be gone if a deal can get done.

• Like 1