Eagles hire Brian Johnson as QB Coach (UTE QB Coach)

Utebird

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I know that wasn't directed at me, but for the record, I believe both.  I think that Wentz and Pederson were butting heads as many reports indicated and that Wentz wanted out.  I also believe Doug wanted to promote Taylor to OC and Lurie had a completely different opinion on which direction he felt would be best for us to go.  Doug has a history of wanting to promote from within and Lurie had made statements prior to Doug being fired that they would look to hire a more traditional OC.  There was just way too much smoke to not be fire.

I agree, I believe both are true. Just find it humorous that when it comes to "rumors” that reflect negatively on Wentz, some want to deny it because it’s "just rumors” but they’re willing to believe other rumors. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think you're right. I think Lurie wants to try and turn Wentz around. We shall see but I suspect he's going to regret that. 

And now Schefter claiming Wentz still wants to leave the franchise and his gut feeling is we trade him this offseason.  Personally I’m OK with hitting the reset button on the position and allowing Sirianni to start fresh with his guy rather some disgruntled holdover that is checked out, even if we only get 10 cents on the dollar for what he is worth.

EDIT:

Adding link:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/carson-wentz-would-prefer-to-leave-eagles-but-team-is-not-looking-to-trade-him-per-report/

• Like 3

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

What could it hurt?  I don't think there is anything to lose at this point.  His trade value is already probably as low as it could possibly be.  IF they do indeed get him to show some level of improvement in his play that will only help his trade value should they decide to go in that direction.  IF the improvement in his play is even greater and even wins a QB competition than that is obviously a positive (for the record I don't see that result happening).  If there is no improvement then they could revisit moving on from him next offseason when the cap hit to cut or trade him is "only" $24M (vs $59M if they did so this year) (pre-June 1 numbers) and would also result in $6.7M in cap savings.  

I mean what could it hurt? A lot perhaps if he doesn't want to be here? Of course some of this is hearsay but the smoke at this point is getting very hard to ignore. If he doesn't want to be here, and given things we are hearing, then he's best off being traded and to be honest trade value is almost irrelevant. 

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

And now Schefter claiming Wentz still wants to leave the franchise and his gut feeling is we trade him this offseason.  Personally I’m OK with hitting the reset button on the position and allowing Sirianni to start fresh with his guy rather some disgruntled holdover that is checked out, even if we only get 10 cents on the dollar for what he is worth.

And this is my point. I apparently have an anti Wentz agenda but all we keep hearing is that Wentz isn't happy and wants out. Why should we just keep ignoring that? What because Wentz hasn't confirmed any of these reports? Well he's not denied them either. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And this is my point. I apparently have an anti Wentz agenda but all we keep hearing is that Wentz isn't happy and wants out. Why should we just keep ignoring that? What because Wentz hasn't confirmed any of these reports? Well he's not denied them either. 

Wentz will speak when he is ready.  He does not owe us anything in regards to his intentions.  It is actually refreshing that he is keeping it out of the media.  Anything being reported is 100% speculation.  Even those reporting it are saying they are not getting it from Wentz or his agent.

Just now, downundermike said:

Wentz will speak when he is ready.  He does not owe us anything in regards to his intentions.  It is actually refreshing that he is keeping it out of the media.  Anything being reported is 100% speculation.  Even those reporting it are saying they are not getting it from Wentz or his agent.

Thing is... I agree it is refreshing that a player is not airing their dirty laundry for all to write about. But his silence is telling. I know that he doesn't owe us anything but he also knows his silence tells the media what they want it to tell them. If the reports are not true he could have quietened a lot of this. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

his silence tells the media what they want it to tell them.

It tells me the season is over and players are away from the team for now.  There is reports Kelce has considered retirement the last couple off seasons.  Why are you not worried that he has not committed to coming back next season ??  I do not believe anything that the media is speculating.  And no one is going to blow the Eagles away with an offer making it worth it taking on the largest dead cap hit in NFL history.  They hired a new coach to get Carson Wentz back into form, and if you don't believe that I don't know what to tell you.

12 minutes ago, downundermike said:

It tells me the season is over and players are away from the team for now.  There is reports Kelce has considered retirement the last couple off seasons.  Why are you not worried that he has not committed to coming back next season ??  I do not believe anything that the media is speculating.  And no one is going to blow the Eagles away with an offer making it worth it taking on the largest dead cap hit in NFL history.  They hired a new coach to get Carson Wentz back into form, and if you don't believe that I don't know what to tell you.

We all have worried about Kelce retiring. It was the same with Kelce last year so that's just a nonsense argument to try and make. 

Ok so you believe they hired a new coaching staff to fix Wentz. I don't believe that myself and if you are correct then this organization is going to potentially experience a few years of pain. And not even because I don't think Wentz can turn it around but that's just a bad process to hire a new HC.

26 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean what could it hurt? A lot perhaps if he doesn't want to be here? Of course some of this is hearsay but the smoke at this point is getting very hard to ignore. If he doesn't want to be here, and given things we are hearing, then he's best off being traded and to be honest trade value is almost irrelevant. 

If he were a cancer in the locker room then I would agree it would be best to get rid of him.  But there aren’t any reports to indicate he has been that.  

This sure is going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.  Really could go either way.  Never a dull offseason in Philly.

Just now, time2rock said:

If he were a cancer in the locker room then I would agree it would be best to get rid of him.  But there aren’t any reports to indicate he has been that.  

This sure is going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.  Really could go either way.  Never a dull offseason in Philly.

And I'm not suggesting he is a cancer in the locker room. We don't know what he's like but we've now heard a lot of reports that don't paint him in a great light. Now they could all be fake news, maybe they are. But if he doesn't want to be here then I'm not sure you want to keep any player in those circumstances? Especially not your highly paid QB.

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

We all have worried about Kelce retiring. It was the same with Kelce last year so that's just a nonsense argument to try and make. 

Ok so you believe they hired a new coaching staff to fix Wentz. I don't believe that myself and if you are correct then this organization is going to potentially experience a few years of pain. And not even because I don't think Wentz can turn it around but that's just a bad process to hire a new HC.

They hired a new head coach because the former coach was not a good game planner, play caller and did not want to relinquish control of those things.  If you watch games you can see it every game.

1.  Continual flanker screens to Greg Ward.

2.  #3 in yards per carry, and at one point tied for first, and being 23rd in attempts, and when they were tied for 1st, they were 30th in attempts.

3.  Carson's last 4 stars, 25:75 run pass ratio

4.  A QB that is great on the move and out of the pocket, and only 6 designed roll outs in his last 4 starts.

5.  Video came out today that before Foles talked Doug into the Philly special, he had called speed option.  Really, speed option with Nick Foles ???

I could go on and on, but we had the most boring, predictable lame offense in the NFL last year, and it was reported back into early last year that teams knew and were calling out our plays.

44 minutes ago, downundermike said:

That's actually a huge thing that's not getting talked about IMO. I hope he tells the coaches and FO before the draft so they can get his replacement if they don't think he's on the team already

8 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

That's actually a huge thing that's not getting talked about IMO. I hope he tells the coaches and FO before the draft so they can get his replacement if they don't think he's on the team already

It has been talked about though. Many times. Kelce has said he considers retirement every year at this point in his career. We know it's going to happen at any point. 

On 2/2/2021 at 4:39 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hmm to some extent. I don't think the Eagles are getting anywhere near a second let alone a second this year with a conditional second next. 

So after our back and forth the other day, this piece comes out today.  In it the writer (Cody Benjamin) provided an educated estimation for what Wentz would net in return in a trade.  He does make a comparison to a similar transaction when SF dealt Amex Smith (also for a 2nd and conditional 2nd).  He also compares to another former Eagles QB, Kolb, who had much less starting experience and traded for a 2nd and a player (DRC you may recall).  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/carson-wentz-trade-rumors-projecting-the-eagles-qbs-value-likely-landing-spots-for-potential-deal/