Eagles hire Brian Johnson as QB Coach (UTE QB Coach)

Utebird

4 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

LOL. I get it that the media has painted a negative picture of Wentz for you.  But remember, whatever composure and leadership you perceive exists with Hurts (no proof), let's also admit that we actually witnessed his lack of accuracy, his fumbling problem, his inability to score once his schtick is figured out in the 2nd half, his inability to use progressions versus running, and his struggle to work outside of the hashes.   So YES, he needs lots of development to be an NFL QB.

I have researched a little about Hurts and I have read a number of people say the same thing: He is a competitor..He is a leader. Here is Nick Saban on Jalen video. I am not going to debate about the future, but I am looking forward to Jalen becoming a better QB under the new coaches.

9 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

In the article Johnson says : "Johnson's connection with Hurts dates back to when the Eagles QB was as young as four". This kinds of makes me wonder if the Eagles are done with Wentz and are placing their bets on developing Hurts. I am ok with that.

What we know for sure is that Wentz is the assumed starter next year based on what we have heard from the FO. Johnson's connection to Hurts is no more telling than the Reich/Siri/Wentz connection.

1 minute ago, Thing3 said:

What we know for sure is that Wentz is the assumed starter next year based on what we have heard from the FO. Johnson's connection to Hurts is no more telling than the Reich/Siri/Wentz connection.

We do not know squat. What we hear are planted media rumors. What we did witness is hiring a brand new set of young coaches. A lot of changes! Let's wait and see.

5 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

I have researched a little about Hurts and I have read a number of people say the same thing: He is a competitor..He is a leader. Here is Nick Saban on Jalen video. I am not going to debate about the future, but I am looking forward to Jalen becoming a better QB under the new coaches.

Coaches don't talk down players  in press conferences, so that video, while good, doesn't mean much.  He was the starting QB for two premier teams with premier staffs.  Leadership and Competitiveness are standard items for a starting QB.  I have watched Hurts alot in games (a couple of times live) and he needs a lot of work to become a successful starting NFL QB.  We need that development (and I hope it happens), because a 2nd round pick is a major investment. 

The challenge that I see is that his development did not happen during two stints at these premium stops (including being benched at Alabama to end his career).  His early career highlights look alot like his senior highlights. Maybe new people and a new system will make it happen.  We will see.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

We do not know squat. What we hear are planted media rumors. What we did witness is hiring a brand new set of young coaches. A lot of changes! Let's wait and see.

This is something we know and it tells me they expect to evaluate both QB's this year and that means Wentz is the presumed starter. "Can transfer from a bad cap situation in 12 months"?

Close to Squat but it is a bit more telling then media rumors. I agree...let's wait and see. I don't think anyone knows right now so we should assume status quo for now (i.e. Wentz is the starter and Hurtz is the backup). This is why I've been saying we likely won't make any big moves at QB this off season. We're not in a situation where we need to do that. Next year we'll know more and be in better cap situation to make moves. That's the way I see it. Everything else is just as you said....rumors.

6 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

That does not change the fact that there are ways to get out of here, if he no longer believes that they are competent or that the organization is headed in a viable direction.  Alot can change in the time, since he got that contract....obviously.  I am not in favor of him leaving, but I am not going to be surprised if it happens.

I would be very surprised at this point if he does move on. That's just my opinion but I think this organization is going to try to turn him around. I think that's a mistake but that's my view. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, T-1000 said:

A QB coach is the most important person in potentially turning Wentz around. The fact that they hired a QB coach who knew Hurts from 4 years old, recruited him out of HS, and has a history of working with dual threat QB's in college..............

One quarterback has repeatedly said he’s not going to change, and the other guy just wants to get better. I wonder which one is really going respond to good coaching? 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I would be very surprised at this point if he does move on. That's just my opinion but I think this organization is going to try to turn him around. I think that's a mistake but that's my view. 

At this point I doubt they have any other choice. Possibly Rodgers, Stafford, and Watson are all on the market. Wentz is like chewed bubblegum compared to that group. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

At this point I doubt they have any other choice. Possibly Rodgers, Stafford, and Watson are all on the market. Wentz is like chewed bubblegum compared to that group. 

I doubt Rodgers ends up going anywhere (he might but I doubt it). Stafford and Watson should be on the move but not sure the Colts get either of those so I can see the Colts going after Wentz. They need a QB with Rivers having retired. Saints may need a QB too? Although I guess they will roll with Hill (HA!). But I do think Wentz will end up back in Philly because I think the FO and Lurie want to salvage him.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I doubt Rodgers ends up going anywhere (he might but I doubt it). Stafford and Watson should be on the move but not sure the Colts get either of those so I can see the Colts going after Wentz. They need a QB with Rivers having retired. Saints may need a QB too? Although I guess they will roll with Hill (HA!). But I do think Wentz will end up back in Philly because I think the FO and Lurie want to salvage him.

My opinion here: I don’t think there is much of a market for a bottom five quarterback that doesn’t seem to think anything is wrong with his game and thinks the organization should coddle him and his poor play from last season. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Everyone seems to think Indy is going to be in on one of the top QBs.  They did get pretty far with a Rivers who is somewhat "middle of the pack" at this point in his career.  They could always go for someone again that isn't considered a top QB ... perhaps a Dalton or Foles or Keenum or Flacco or Taylor or maybe even someone like Sudfeld.

Those guys would be a lot less expensive and in many cases would not cost any draft capital to acquire/sign.  

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

My opinion here: I don’t think there is much of a market for a bottom five quarterback that doesn’t seem to think anything is wrong with his game and thinks the organization should coddle him and his poor play from last season. 

I don't think it matters much whether or not there could be a market for Wentz.  Seemed to me that Lurie made it pretty clear they want to do whatever they can to try to get him back to his previous level of play.  It was mentioned in several reports that this was one of the main points discussed during the interviews with the HC candidates (what their plan would be to get him back on track).  I suspect they will take another year to evaluate what a new coaching staff can do with him, that Doug was just unable to get through to him and that maybe someone else can.  If we're seeing the same problems this upcoming season (to the extent we saw them this year) with still no signs of improvement perhaps they cut the cord then.  Still a fairly large cap hit but much easier relatively speaking to do so then with a dead money hit to the cap of $24M but with close to $7M in cap savings.  2021 is a prove it year for Carson.  

• Like 2

My opinion here is that plan A was to "fix” Wentz. It was reported that Sirianni reached out to Carson after being hired. Then Johnson was hired. 

My take is Sirriani got the impression that Carson still does NOT want to come back. So Johnson was hired with the idea of coaching Hurts. 

All conjecture but just my guess as to what went down based on the order of events. 

42 minutes ago, nipples said:

My opinion here is that plan A was to "fix” Wentz. It was reported that Sirianni reached out to Carson after being hired. Then Johnson was hired. 

My take is Sirriani got the impression that Carson still does NOT want to come back. So Johnson was hired with the idea of coaching Hurts. 

All conjecture but just my guess as to what went down based on the order of events. 

You are trying way too hard to create a story.  

• Like 2

We don't know how the league views Wentz though is my point bud. We might be down on him but doesn't mean all teams and HCs etc are. 

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

You are trying way too hard to create a story.  

Don’t have to try hard at all. Plenty of reports about Wentz wanting out. He hasn’t said anything at all to dispel any of the "rumors”. Where there’s smoke there’s fire. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

We don't know how the league views Wentz though is my point bud. We might be down on him but doesn't mean all teams and HCs etc are. 

True, but that doesn’t mean the rest of the league is that high either. He’s paid a lot of money and performed poorly. There’s a lot of risk involved, and one could argue he’s already got one coach fired. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don't think it matters much whether or not there could be a market for Wentz.  Seemed to me that Lurie made it pretty clear they want to do whatever they can to try to get him back to his previous level of play.  It was mentioned in several reports that this was one of the main points discussed during the interviews with the HC candidates (what their plan would be to get him back on track).  I suspect they will take another year to evaluate what a new coaching staff can do with him, that Doug was just unable to get through to him and that maybe someone else can.  If we're seeing the same problems this upcoming season (to the extent we saw them this year) with still no signs of improvement perhaps they cut the cord then.  Still a fairly large cap hit but much easier relatively speaking to do so then with a dead money hit to the cap of $24M but with close to $7M in cap savings.  2021 is a prove it year for Carson.  

If we get another crap year out of Carson they will never be able to trade him. No team is taking a guy with his cap number and basically stinks. He would need to be cut.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nipples said:

Don’t have to try hard at all. Plenty of reports about Wentz wanting out. He hasn’t said anything at all to dispel any of the "rumors”. Where there’s smoke there’s fire. 

Some of these apologists have their heads too far shoved up Carson’s bunghole to see, read, or hear any stories. They’re still denying Carson at times has been a bad teammate even though he admitted it himself. 

True, but that doesn’t mean the rest of the league is that high either. He’s paid a lot of money and performed poorly. There’s a lot of risk involved, and one could argue he’s already got one coach fired. 

And I'm not going to argue that. I mean I don't think he got Doug fired but I think he, and other players, had a major contribution in a very disappointing season. 

Some of these apologists have their heads too far shoved up Carson’s bunghole to see, read, or hear any stories. They’re still denying Carson at times has been a bad teammate even though he admitted it himself. 

I am not a Carson apologist ... I was ready to move on from him this season too.  I merely point out the reality of the situation ... just because you want him gone doesn't mean he will be.  I suppose there is always a chance they move him but based on Lurie's statements, he will be here for the 2021 season, like it or not.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I am not a Carson apologist ... I was ready to move on from him this season too.  I merely point out the reality of the situation ... just because you want him gone doesn't mean he will be.  I suppose there is always a chance they move him but based on Lurie's statements, he will be here for the 2021 season, like it or not.  

Agreed. We don't know what's going to happen and we don't know what reports are true and what ones aren't. I think Wentz will be back but I would prefer that the team move on from him but I don't see that happening at this point. 

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I wasn’t referring to you. If he’s here I hope he plays well. Some seem to think just cause he gets paid he’s just going to play. Yeah I don’t see this guy getting a full season to suck just cause of the money on the books. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

I wasn’t referring to you. If he’s here I hope he plays well. Some seem to think just cause he gets paid he’s just going to play. Yeah I don’t see this guy getting a full season to suck just cause of the money on the books. 

If he's here then he's going to be the week one starter. How long he remains starter if he plays poorly I mean that's anyone's guess. Id like to think Sirianni will be given the power to give Wentz a short leash. If he isn't then it's going to be very hard to judge Sirianni in Year one if Wentz continues to stink.

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If he's here then he's going to be the week one starter. How long he remains starter if he plays poorly I mean that's anyone's guess. Id like to think Sirianni will be given the power to give Wentz a short leash. If he isn't then it's going to be very hard to judge Sirianni in Year one if Wentz continues to stink.

No way Carson gets a full season to stink up the place. Sirianni would have a full blown mutiny in his locker room and all of his "accountability” talk will ring hollow.