Eagles hire Brian Johnson as QB Coach (UTE QB Coach)

Utebird

27 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I wasn’t referring to you. If he’s here I hope he plays well. Some seem to think just cause he gets paid he’s just going to play. Yeah I don’t see this guy getting a full season to suck just cause of the money on the books. 

I sure hope the new coaching staff, while surely tasked with trying to elevate Wentz’s play, will also have the liberty of making the final decision on who starts, etc.  Should they determine through a full offseason that Hurts is clearly better than Wentz and gives us the best chance to win, I hope they start Hurts.  I’m sure he is going to work hard ... just wonder what approach Wentz is going to take.  If he sulks and gives lackluster effort (with a completely new coaching staff), that tells you all you need to know about him as a teammate and leader and about his character.

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

I sure hope the new coaching staff, while surely tasked with trying to elevate Wentz’s play, will also have the liberty of making the final decision on who starts, etc.  Should they determine through a full offseason that Hurts is clearly better than Wentz I hope they start Hurts.  I’m sure he is going to work hard ... just wonder what approach Wentz is going to take.  If he sulks and gives lackluster effort (with a completely new coaching staff), that tells you all you need to know about him as a teammate and leader and about his character.

I’m sure his fanboys will just blame everyone and their mother but Wentz if he does stink. I don’t see how the majority of the fans (and more importantly) his teammates would sit by and not say anything if Carson is failing to change. This coach claimed he’s the coach of accountability, but if he doesn’t hold the leader of this team accountable then no one will follow him. 

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

True, but that doesn’t mean the rest of the league is that high either. He’s paid a lot of money and performed poorly. There’s a lot of risk involved, and one could argue he’s already got one coach fired. 

Doug got himself fired with the following statment " offensive coordinator Press Tayor "

Johnson might well be the best QB on the team, haha. Any reason why he didn't go pro? Smart man, I guess.

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

Doug got himself fired with the following statment " offensive coordinator Press Tayor "

I’m sure that was the largest sticking point.  

On 1/27/2021 at 7:13 PM, Thing3 said:

Coincidence???? I think so. But the plot thickens 🤔

Enough possibly to get inside Wentz head. We'll see how he responds.

On 1/27/2021 at 9:06 PM, Saltpeter said:

Talks about mechanics and coaching a QB like coaching a middle LB. I'm sold.

Now let's get some coaches to utilize and coach LBs.

1 hour ago, ThinkGreen said:

Johnson might well be the best QB on the team, haha. Any reason why he didn't go pro? Smart man, I guess.

He beat Alabama in the 09 Sugar Bowl, that’s why he made a game cover, he can tell Wentz, that he’s a SB Champion like Foles, and the Eagles are giving him a statue. 

5275A214-C134-4A73-8B3B-D7F03D2FE77A.jpeg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, downundermike said:

Did that come from the media that all of you say are lying when they write a story about the Ginger one? Never heard Dog actually say that. 

Well, now that Uncle Brian is the QB coach, Jalen will have that after practice Chutes&Ladders partner he's been missing.

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2021 at 8:18 PM, time2rock said:

I’m sure that was the largest sticking point.  

Lurie said as much. That and other comments that said Doug didn't have what Lurie was looking for.

On 1/29/2021 at 4:28 PM, XoqTionR said:

Now let's get some coaches to utilize and coach LBs.

I think I am in love with our new QB coach. 

14 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

Lurie said as much. That and other comments that said Doug didn't have what Lurie was looking for.

I do believe Lurie wants to hold on to Wentz and is hoping the new coaching staff can help guide him back to the level at which he played earlier in his career.  I also think 2 of the main reasons he decided to move on from Doug are (1) he didn’t think Doug had a plan to do so (that he ran out of ideas) and (2) beyond just Wentz’s poor play the offense as a whole was just terrible (uncreative, stale, predictable) and that promoting Taylor wasn’t going to help ... he likely wanted an experienced OC from outside the organization, a fresh set of eyes, to  morph the offense.  

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

I do believe Lurie wants to hold on to Wentz and is hoping the new coaching staff can help guide him back to the level at which he played earlier in his career.  I also think 2 of the main reasons he decided to move on from Doug are (1) he didn’t think Doug had a plan to do so (that he ran out of ideas) and (2) beyond just Wentz’s poor play the offense as a whole was just terrible (uncreative, stale, predictable) and that promoting Taylor wasn’t going to help ... he likely wanted an experienced OC from outside the organization, a fresh set of eyes, to  morph the offense.  

That is pretty much what happened.  Lurie had no choice but to protect the franchise and probably got it right.  So far so good.  Now he has to figure out about Wentz and the QB trade market is already underway.  I think he wants to give Wentz another chance with Nick but you never know if the right offer comes along before draft day.

7 hours ago, Miami said:

That is pretty much what happened.  Lurie had no choice but to protect the franchise and probably got it right.  So far so good.  Now he has to figure out about Wentz and the QB trade market is already underway.  I think he wants to give Wentz another chance with Nick but you never know if the right offer comes along before draft day.

Not that Wentz’s accomplishments come anywhere close to what Stafford has over the years, but man if they had that kind of offer I don’t see how you could turn it down. But honestly, I think we’d be lucky to receive an offer that includes a 2nd this year and a conditional 2nd next year.

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

Not that Wentz’s accomplishments come anywhere close to what Stafford has over the years, but man if they had that kind of offer I don’t see how you could turn it down

I can't see it bud. I mean at this point you've got to think Wentz value is probably slightly more than Goff? So I think essentially if the organisation want to get out of that contract then they are going to have to take a very low offer. 

38 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I can't see it bud. I mean at this point you've got to think Wentz value is probably slightly more than Goff? So I think essentially if the organisation want to get out of that contract then they are going to have to take a very low offer. 

I don’t think so either (that was covered in the next part of the post you neglected to quote).  

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

I don’t think so either (that was covered in the next part of the post you neglected to quote).  

Hmm to some extent. I don't think the Eagles are getting anywhere near a second let alone a second this year with a conditional second next. 

11 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hmm to some extent. I don't think the Eagles are getting anywhere near a second let alone a second this year with a conditional second next. 

I don’t think we’re going to get anything because I don’t think Lurie wants to trade him ... yet.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don’t think we’re going to get anything because I don’t think Lurie wants to trade him ... yet.  

I think you're right. I think Lurie wants to try and turn Wentz around. We shall see but I suspect he's going to regret that. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think you're right. I think Lurie wants to try and turn Wentz around. We shall see but I suspect he's going to regret that. 

What could it hurt?  I don't think there is anything to lose at this point.  His trade value is already probably as low as it could possibly be.  IF they do indeed get him to show some level of improvement in his play that will only help his trade value should they decide to go in that direction.  IF the improvement in his play is even greater and even wins a QB competition than that is obviously a positive (for the record I don't see that result happening).  If there is no improvement then they could revisit moving on from him next offseason when the cap hit to cut or trade him is "only" $24M (vs $59M if they did so this year) (pre-June 1 numbers) and would also result in $6.7M in cap savings.  

On 1/29/2021 at 5:28 PM, downundermike said:

Just to get this straight... you refuse to believe reports about Wentz wanting out, because he hasn’t publicly said so himself. But you’re 100% willing to accept the report that Doug wanted Press Taylor as his OC, despite him nor Lurie specifically saying so. 

6 minutes ago, nipples said:

Just to get this straight... you refuse to believe reports about Wentz wanting our, because he hasn’t publicly said so himself. But you’re 100% willing to accept the report that Doug wanted Press Taylor as his OC, despite him not Lurie specifically saying so. 

I know that wasn't directed at me, but for the record, I believe both.  I think that Wentz and Pederson were butting heads as many reports indicated and that Wentz wanted out.  I also believe Doug wanted to promote Taylor to OC and Lurie had a completely different opinion on which direction he felt would be best for us to go.  Doug has a history of wanting to promote from within and Lurie had made statements prior to Doug being fired that they would look to hire a more traditional OC.  There was just way too much smoke to not be fire.