Back up QB moving forward

T-1000

The petulant child is gone and it's time to move on. I think the most interesting thing moving forward is what the Eagles do to add to the QB position. I think there were will be a lot of smoke about the Eagles potentially drafting a QB at six, but I think it will be a total smoke screen. In fact, I fully expect them to trade down with a team looking to draft a QB. They drafted Hurts in the 2nd round and are set up with likely having two first round picks in 2022. Not giving him every opportunity to show he can be the guy in 2021 would be silly.

With that being said, I think the worst thing they could do is just hand over the starting job to Hurts. Competition brings out the best in most players unless they are mentally soft. I would like to see the Eagles bring in a veteran QB to ''compete'' with Hurts in camp. By that I mean, it's essentially Hurts's job to lose, but someone to push Hurts to fight for the job and get better. Looking at the options on the FA market these are the realistic options.

Ryan Fitzpatrick - In some ways he is the perfect player to add for this role. In others, I'm not so sure. I think he might get an even better chance to start and more money elsewhere. I wouldn't rule it out though.

Jacoby Brissett - Obviously there is a familiarity with Siri so it would be a logical choice. Like Fitzpatrick though, I wouldn't be completely shocked if he gets a better opportunity to start and make more money elsewhere. I also think if the Colts are smart and with the cap space they have they should pay him well to stick around.

Cam Newton - Really depends on what the interest is around the league. I would think the days of Newton being signed to be a starter are long gone, but who knows. I have mixed feelings on this. I think having a similar skillset to Hurts and possibly being someone he looked up to growing up as a QB could be a good thing. That being said, I'm not sure the Eagles need to bring in a big name and personality like this.

Tyrod Taylor - This would be the betting favorite in my opinion. He is good enough to provide some level of competition for Hurts, but not so good that he is likely to get a better opportunity or money from other teams. There is also the familiarity with Steichen and the fact that he has a similar skillset to Hurts. Taylor makes a ton of sense.

Andy Dalton - Dallas would probably be smart to keep him around with Dak's injury possibly carrying over into the early part of the 2021 season. That being said, if they don't bring him back he would make a lot of sense as a guy like Taylor who can provide some level of competition for Hurts, and might not get a better opportunity or more money elsewhere.

Mitch Trubisky - Dark horse option here. I would say it's highly unlikely for a number of reasons but it would certainly be interesting.

Am I missing anybody.

• Like 3

I think Brissett or Tyrod make the most sense due to the familiarity with the HC/OC. In the world of COVID, who knows what the offseason looks like. If there are no or limited OTAs/minicamp, then having someone familiar with the system will be key. Helps Hurts as well if the offseason is truncated or cancelled. 

Hell no to Cam or Mitch. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, T-1000 said:

Am I missing anybody.

Foles. There were those rumors of us getting him in a potential Wentz trade, so I'm not sure he's in the Bears' plans moving forward. They may look to trade him or even decide to release him before the season. The Eagles would be interested if he became available. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I think Tyrod would be a decent back up option. Similar to Hurts in style so the offense wouldn't need to change too much. That said I am intrigued by Brissett. He knows Sirianni, knows the offense and I do think there is a battle to be had for the starting job here so that could appeal to guys like Brissett and Fitzpatrick.

• Like 2

Whoever the Eagles sign (or trade for), if they decide to not draft a quarterback in the 1st round, will probably need to be a guy who makes $5 million/year or less, due to 2021 cap considerations.

9 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Foles. There were those rumors of us getting him in a potential Wentz trade, so I'm not sure he's in the Bears' plans moving forward. They may look to trade him or even decide to release him before the season. The Eagles would be interested if he became available. 

I don't think a trade makes sense ... absent a restructure we'd be on the hook for $8M/year this year and next.  Now if he is cut and signed as a FA then there could be interest.  

9 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Some people have such a hard time letting go.  lol

• Like 2

I'd vote for Taylor if this was the thought process.   But we all know Howie is drafting a QB right?   I mean its completely obvious.  Their are 4 top QBs and we have the 6th pick.   He may even trade up to grab one that he likes.   I don't agree with this but its what is going to happen.  This will cement that the hurts pick was a colossal mistake and a wasted pick that basically wrecked this team.   

If you are trading Wentz (which they did) then you gotta at least give Hurts one year to see what he can do before investing another high pick on a QB.  But that being said, howies the GM and a QB Factory is what we are, right?   I mean look at all the stud QBs we have under Roseman.   

• Thanks 1

They will have to go with the cheapest option because of cap situation.  I think Brissett would come fairly cheap and he also has some familiarity with the system that will be in place.  I just really hope they don't blow the #6 pick on a quarterback.  I am really worried about that.

• Like 2

I don't know. Eagles hold the #6 pick in the draft. They could take a QB first and let him battle it out with Hurts.  I think it makes sense to have two QBs on rookie deals than trying to lure a Free Agent.

1 hour ago, toolg said:

I don't know. Eagles hold the #6 pick in the draft. They could take a QB first and let him battle it out with Hurts.  I think it makes sense to have two QBs on rookie deals than trying to lure a Free Agent.

In theory yes. But surely you use #6 to get the long term guy? So it's not really a true comp.

10 hours ago, Vman1968 said:

Some people have such a hard time letting go.  lol

It's not like that. I was just answering his question. I have nothing against Foles and like him as a backup. 

7 hours ago, toolg said:

You have two quarterbacks then you have no quarterback. 

Eagles draft Fields with 6. 

Hurts starts the season starting

Somewhere around week 7 when they are mathematically eliminated,  Fields becomes starter.  Hurts is your backup. 

• Sad 1

If Foles were to become available, he's easily the best choice.  Team guy, not scared to "compete" for the starting role, loves the team, the city and the fans, etc.  If he didn't win the starting role, he would be great mentor for Hurts (Ask Trubisky about Foles). 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Jacoby Brissett - Obviously there is a familiarity with Siri so it would be a logical choice. Like Fitzpatrick though, I wouldn't be completely shocked if he gets a better opportunity to start and make more money elsewhere. I also think if the Colts are smart and with the cap space they have they should pay him well to stick around.

Keeping him around might damage Wentz' fragile ego too much. Brissett has shown he can play. Carson won't like that.

• Like 1

Meh.  Ride or dir with sudfield for all i care.   Lets bullt the defense this year and save our hopefully 2 1st rnd picks on a stud qb next draft