Back up QB moving forward

T-1000

Eagles can not afford any names out there. So Taylor and Brissentt are not options with our cap situation. 

I also dont buy that the Eagles will draft a QB at 6. Draft 2 QBs in the first 2 rounds does nothing but make the situation worse. You will have the same QB controversy two years+ in a row. There is also a reason they hired Johnson who has known Hurts since he was a kid as the QB coach. Hurts will be our QB for at least 1 year.

In the end, the backup QB will be a drafted player in the mid/late rounds. Someone super cheap. No one that has a name will take the league Vet min to play here. They couldnt even give Josh McCown league min at his age. We are up against a cap that we do not have the luxury in signing anyone that has been a starter in this league. Get use to this. It is exactly why Lurie said they are looking more 2-3 years down the line. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I also dont get is why people are saying Brissett would be a similar style to Hurts and runs the same system? Jacoby is not a running QB. Wentz has had more rushing yards then Jacoby in each of his starting years. He is a passing QB that has mobility, thats it. Hes not a runner like Hurts. Sure Taylor at least is a better comparison with style. I personally hate that style of play. I do feel Nick will try and contain Hurts running more with short passes to get the ball out quick and limit him taking off with his legs. I can see Nick liking a mobile QB but not a dominate scrambling QB. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

No one that has a name will take the league Vet min to play here. 

Because most teams prepare for the future understanding that the cap increases each year and lately by around $10 Million / year and that everybody all of a sudden has to account for a reduced cap in 2021, there will be a large influx of FAs agreeing to 1-year deals. They will be playing for 2022 free agency. It's actually a good situation for a team like the Eagles  that will be strapped this year, but wide open next year. 

I have no idea who we will bring in, but I'm sure we'll have several candidates to choose from and we'll get him cheaper than we normally would.

• Like 1

I don't get the Trubisky hate. He has a higher QBR than every other candidate on the OP's list except Fitzpatrick.

He was benched despite winning his first two games, went 5-3 on his season (2 of the 3 losses were to the Packers).

Foles lost 5 of his 8 games.

Not saying he's the guy. But somehow he's been written off while other "underperformers" are granted excuses.

I think it's obvious the Eagles will take a QB in the draft.

They needed to get rid of Wentz to do it otherwise the fans would be screaming that another QB was the last thing we needed.
Hopefully it won't be the NDSU one game wonder. 

19 minutes ago, eaglegenius said:

I think it's obvious the Eagles will take a QB in the draft. 

Agree, the 5th round sounds about the right spot they take that QB. 

14 hours ago, Madriver said:

Keeping him around might damage Wentz' fragile ego too much. Brissett has shown he can play. Carson won't like that.

🤣

Good topic. I don't have a specific player in mind to sign. BUT, the QB room next season cannot be Hurts and a drafted QB. IMO. Need at least one vet in there, maybe two. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LacesOut said:

Good topic. I don't have a specific player in mind to sign. BUT, the QB room next season cannot be Hurts and a drafted QB. IMO. Need at least one vet in there, maybe two. 

Yeah although if they bring in a veteran who's the back up? Hurts or the veteran? See if they draft a QB they are in an awkward position. They used a high draft pick on a back up QB last year. That same guy then came in when they benched the franchise QB who they then subsequently moved on from. 

I just hope that the front office are not that big idiots to draft a QB in the 1st 2nd or 3rd round...this Oline and whole defense has more holes than emental cheese already...

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah although if they bring in a veteran who's the back up? Hurts or the veteran? See if they draft a QB they are in an awkward position. They used a high draft pick on a back up QB last year. That same guy then came in when they benched the franchise QB who they then subsequently moved on from. 

Good points/questions. I don't know. Just a clustermess of a situation. It will be very interesting to see what transpires for the QB position.

On 2/18/2021 at 11:59 PM, brkmsn said:

Foles. There were those rumors of us getting him in a potential Wentz trade, so I'm not sure he's in the Bears' plans moving forward. They may look to trade him or even decide to release him before the season. The Eagles would be interested if he became available. 

In which case, Hurts would make for a good backup. 

6 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

In which case, Hurts would make for a good backup. 

You really want to have Foles and Sirianni not speaking too each other for weeks?

B.D. Nick, or Fitzmagic, if the numbers work. Give Hurts his shot, Iggles going nowhere anytime soon, and certainly don't waste a draft pick this year on a QB.

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

You really want to have Foles and Sirianni not speaking too each other for weeks?

He didn't talk to him at all during the 2017 season and we saw how that turned out... :thumbsup:

Not sure having a QB with 4 games started under his belt and only in his second year and a Rookie backing him up is a good plan at all.  Howies builds this team and we all agree he's an idiot.  But if that is the route they go this team is in big trouble because it will truely expose how inept Roseman is in building a team.  And that strategy never works.  Hurts has to be your guy in 2021.  Draft a really good WR or line depth to help hm.  If he flames out in 2021 then draft a qb in the draft.  At that point you will have(hopefully) decent weapons and a good line.  

As someone else said - if you have 2 guys battling it out as young QB's that you have no good QB's.  And as i've said before, you destroyed this team by picking hurts (whether you see that as  Roseman being  dope or wentz being too sensitive and uncompetitive) so at the very least give that pick a chance to win the job to justify it.  If you dont then you basically threw away that pick and you truly have no plan 

On 2/19/2021 at 2:15 PM, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Jalen Hurts

I think it is safe to jump off the Wentz bandwagon.

• Haha 2

On 2/19/2021 at 6:37 PM, What The F said:

Eagles draft Fields with 6. 

Hurts starts the season starting

Somewhere around week 7 when they are mathematically eliminated,  Fields becomes starter.  Hurts is your backup. 

There was a post somewhere about ... NO QB drafted at the top 10 of round 1 is starting for their Team...in the last 16 years, if you do not count the last several years and the QBs are under rookie contract. Maybe too much pressure? I know it is a QB driven league and everyone wants a ready QB to start...but what most people forget that sometimes it takes a few years of sitting down and learning before a QB can shoulder the responsibilities required for the job. I vote to draft a QB later in the drat (no earlier than 3rd) ...so he will give some completion to Hurts, but at the same time will not be an obstacle. If we get lucky? We may find a gem..and if we are not, then we have not waisted more ammo on a Howie's Failed "QB factory" that does not know how to maintain a healthy offensive line , and he can be a backup QB. We need to build a Team first in this draft.

On 2/20/2021 at 7:22 AM, brkmsn said:

Because most teams prepare for the future understanding that the cap increases each year and lately by around $10 Million / year and that everybody all of a sudden has to account for a reduced cap in 2021, there will be a large influx of FAs agreeing to 1-year deals. They will be playing for 2022 free agency. It's actually a good situation for a team like the Eagles  that will be strapped this year, but wide open next year. 

I have no idea who we will bring in, but I'm sure we'll have several candidates to choose from and we'll get him cheaper than we normally would.

Unless someone has a decent Guard, or an absolutely critical position that will not be addressed in the draft, I would rather Eagles do not bring in any Free agents this year. Let the Rookies learn on the Job and have some play time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Traveler Vic said:

Unless someone has a decent Guard, or an absolutely critical position that will not be addressed in the draft, I would rather Eagles do not bring in any Free agents this year. Let the Rookies learn on the Job and have some play time.

I have no problem with bringing in veteran depth. A young player can learn a lot from a veteran player. There's value there in having the right ones around.

57 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I have no problem with bringing in veteran depth. A young player can learn a lot from a veteran player. There's value there in having the right ones around.

We are over the cap and in the process of rebuilding. I would rather see more young Eagles players on the field in 2021 learning and getting experience..jelling together, instead of bringing in more hired guns. If you know any valuable experienced players/teachers, who are willing to work for NFL minimum, every fan will be glad to take a look.

2 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

We are over the cap and in the process of rebuilding. I would rather see more young Eagles players on the field in 2021 learning and getting experience..jelling together, instead of bringing in more hired guns. If you know any valuable experienced players/teachers, who are willing to work for NFL minimum, every fan will be glad to take a look.

Well ... It's not like we're going to rotate Hurts with another young QB. It would definitely benefit him to have a veteran backup to learn from. It would also help the WRs develop in practice to have an experienced QB running the 2nd team rather than having an inexperienced, mistake-prone, developmental project. It makes zero sense to stay inexperienced across the board at the QB position / depth. If something happens to Hurts and your #2 QB is, say ... 2019 Clayton Thorson, you're WRs are not going to develop if he's throwing the ball. There's more than one reason to have a competent backup on the roster. Yes, you might even have to pay him more than you're paying your starter, but that's just a product of the current CBA. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 9:19 AM, Vman1968 said:

I'd vote for Taylor if this was the thought process.   But we all know Howie is drafting a QB right?   I mean its completely obvious.  Their are 4 top QBs and we have the 6th pick.   He may even trade up to grab one that he likes.   I don't agree with this but its what is going to happen.  This will cement that the hurts pick was a colossal mistake and a wasted pick that basically wrecked this team.   

If you are trading Wentz (which they did) then you gotta at least give Hurts one year to see what he can do before investing another high pick on a QB.  But that being said, howies the GM and a QB Factory is what we are, right?   I mean look at all the stud QBs we have under Roseman.   

Hurts will be the man this year. I’d like this QB room:

Hurts

Brissett/Tyrod

Newman/Mond/Ehlinger/Buechele

If Hurts isn’t the man, next year’s QB class will have options like Rattler, Howell, Slovis, etc. Every year we hear how crappy the next year’s QB class is and by the time the draft is on the near horizon there are 3-5 top QB prospects.  That will hold true next year as well. 

Ideally in my head, we go Pitts R1 and Marshall R2...then a lot of defense, and a RB in R5-R6 like Brian Robinson or Rakeem Boyd. I want to see the Indy offense. A focus on the run, and short passing game with the occasional deep ball. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 9:09 PM, Vlad67 said:

I just hope that the front office are not that big idiots to draft a QB in the 1st 2nd or 3rd round...this Oline and whole defense has more holes than emental cheese already...

If Trask is there in the third I'd almost put money on Howie making that pick, if he's there top of the 4th I guarantee it.

• Like 2