Are you excited or not?

Infam

Excited for the season?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Excited for the season?

• Hell yeah, next year could be good.
    • Mediocrity, here we come.
    • It's a rebuild, so next year doesn't count.
    • We will be terrible. Fire Howie!
    • No idea how this will go.

Well, I feel excited. New coaches have some promise, Hurts hopefully the starter..

And I am the only fan that thinks Mr. Roseman does a good job! 😁

Where are you at? Are you a sucker for all the Eagles gonna be terrible stories? Or aren't you buying any of it like me?

I'm always excited for the upcoming season. I'm always curious to find out what players get better and see how much they have improved. 

• Like 3

I think they’ll struggle again next year because the roster as a whole has too many holes to fill in one offseason. I’m excited though. Excited to see what Hurts looks like with a full offseason to prepare while working with Brian Johnson. Excited to see who they take at 6... if it’s Chase I’ll be super excited. Interested to see how the new coaching stuff does with improving Reagor. 

We are going to get a look at a lot of new/young players next season. Wentz was the first move, but you know they aren’t done shedding some older players from this roster. 

• Like 2

Looking forward to seeing a new staff on one hand, but the other hand still dreads the fact that Howie still is in charge of picking players for that staff, and Howie sucks as a GM. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Infam said:

Well, I feel excited. New coaches have some promise, Hurts hopefully the starter..

And I am the only fan that thinks Mr. Roseman does a good job! 😁

Where are you at? Are you a sucker for all the Eagles gonna be terrible stories? Or aren't you buying any of it like me?

I am always excited for a new year of Eagles football. The one thing that really makes the NFL great is that you really never know.

As for the Roseman part, while I do not think he has done a great job, he is not as bad as people make him out to be on this board. He is middle of the road when it comes to being a GM. His contract work, which he was known for, has been really bad for the last couple of years.

• Like 1

When you have no franchise QB, you have almost zero chances of winning a SB. 

So.....  

Hurts isn't a franchise QB. 

Until we get one, there is nothing to be excited about. It's like some of you are so young, you have no clue what being stuck in mediocrity is like. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

We know why you're excited.  It's pretty obvious.  :roll:

Yeah well. I got everything I wanted. So all good over here. 😁

26 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

When you have no franchise QB, you have almost zero chances of winning a SB. 

So.....  

Hurts isn't a franchise QB. 

Until we get one, there is nothing to be excited about. It's like some of you are so young, you have no clue what being stuck in mediocrity is like. 

Why isnt/cant Hurts be a franchise QB?

These entire argument reminds me so much of Randall Cunningham. He was a second round pick, that was drafted and put into the lineup to 'change things up'. The Eagles had a terrible line which caused problems with Jaws, but was different when Randall was in there. Everyone thought that Randall was a gimmick and would never be a franchise QB because his first and second years had a terrible TD/INT ratio. That defense figured him out because he couldnt throw the ball and all he could do was run.

He then worked hard and became a great QB.

I am not saying that Hurts is Cunningham or will ever be like that, but I am saying that there is precedence for this.

• Like 4

Just now, pallidrone said:

Because he is a one read and take off type of QB, those have very short lived careers in the NFL.  Historically speaking he is a running QB and not a QB who can run. 

Howie doesn't have a core of Andy's and Chip's players to rely on any more. Is he magically going to hit the next 3-5 drafts out of the ball park? Nope, so no real excitement. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

Because he is a one read and take off type of QB, those have very short lived careers in the NFL.  Historically speaking he is a running QB and not a QB who can run. 

So was Josh Allen last year. So was Baker Mayfield out of college.

QBs can change if they put in the work, which seems to be something that Hurts will do.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

These entire argument reminds me so much of Randall Cunningham. He was a second round pick, that was drafted and put into the lineup to 'change things up'. The Eagles had a terrible line which caused problems with Jaws, but was different when Randall was in there. Everyone thought that Randall was a gimmick and would never be a franchise QB because his first and second years had a terrible TD/INT ratio. That defense figured him out because he couldnt throw the ball and all he could do was run.

He then worked hard and became a great QB.

I am not saying that Hurts is Cunningham or will ever be like that, but I am saying that there is precedence for this.

Because the numbers indicate that there's a major problem. In the second half of games, after teams made adjustments, Hurts completed 46% of his passes and had a QB rating of 55. That's comically poor. His interceptions increased, the amount he was sacked went up, his YPC average dipped significantly and he threw shorter passes.

Teams adjusted and made it so that he has to throw the ball to win and he could not do it. I'd imagine once teams have even more film on him and learn that if he can't take off, he can't beat you, things are gonna get ugly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Because the numbers indicate that there's a major problem. In the second half of games, after teams made adjustments, Hurts completed 46% of his passes and has a QB rating of 55. That's comically poor. His interceptions increased, the amount he was sacked went up, his YPC average dipped significantly.

Teams adjusted and made it so that he has to throw the ball to win and he could not do it. I'd imagine once teams have even more film on him and learn that if he can't take off, he can't beat you, things are gonna get ugly.

So let me get this straight - a rookie QB who had no offseason, playing on a bad team with a bad line, whose defense was sieve and could not hold a lead, played bad in the second half of games when the team became one dimensional, so now that means he is terrible and the book has been written?

That seems like a very myopic viewpoint.

• Like 3

I’m most definitely excited but not because I think we’re going to be competitive (yet) ... I’m excited because it is going to be completely different. No more of the same old boring play calling and QB sailing the ball 3 feet over the heads of his receivers or the frustration of watching him hold on to the ball way too long and taking an unnecessary sack. No more of the sticks defense.  Hopefully CBs coached up to turn their heads to locate the ball.  Yeah, I’m excited for the change.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

So let me get this straight - a rookie QB who had no offseason, playing on a bad team with a bad line, whose defense was sieve and could not hold a lead, played bad in the second half of games when the team became one dimensional, so now that means he is terrible and the book has been written?

That seems like a very myopic viewpoint.

Sounds like a lot of Hurtscuses.

They were up 17-0 in the Saints game going into the half. Jalen Hurts did nothing and as a result, they almost blew the game. There was no one dimension.

Cardinals game was a good game overall for Hurts.

Cowboys game they had a 14-3 lead and only became one dimensional because Hurts could only muster 3 points the last three quarters of the game.

Washington he played like absolute garbage.

The line had issues, but per PFF (take it how you will) Hurts had on average like 3.5 seconds to throw. That's long enough.

Defense was garbage, that I agree with.

3 minutes ago, Swoop said:

They were up 17-0 in the Saints game going into the half. Jalen Hurts did nothing and as a result, they almost blew the game. There was no one dimension.

Good point! After a backup with no offseason gets his first start the team riddled with injuries and a starting QB benched, he beats a team that no one in the world expected him to win. Evidence for him to be .. bad??? 😂

3 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Cowboys game they had a 14-3 lead and only became one dimensional because Hurts could only muster 3 points the last three quarters of the game.

The line had issues, but per PFF (take it how you will) Hurts had on average like 3.5 seconds to throw. That's long enough.

I don't even want to know how he would've needed to play so you think he is a franchise QB. Should he have grown a pair of wings and fly away with the ball?

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

The issue is that you are basing your entire opinion on 4 games, at the end of the year, with a bad team. You are even including a Washington game where a) The Eagles had nothing to play for except draft position and Washington was playing for their playoff lives and b) Washington having the best defensive line in football against one of the worst offense lines in football.

He played well against the Saints and the Cardinals. He played well for the first half of the Dallas game before the defense forgot that you have to defend the pass and he started pressing at the end of the game.

My opinion is this - I have no idea if Hurts is a good or bad player. I know he provided a spark last year when the team dragged it's feet all year. I also know he was placed in a bad situation and made the best of it. 

What I also know is that everyone, from college through the pros, have had nothing but praise for the kid, that he looks the part and he says all the right things. That to me is enough to give him a chance at becoming the QB for the Eagles.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, QBhunter58 said:

Ask me after the draft 😐

I would count that in the "no idea how this will go" category.

• Like 1

It's clearly a re-build. 

We are going to draft a QB at 6. Howie on the Wentz Draft, when in you're in position to draft a QB in the top 10, you pull the trigger to make it happen. it's the most important position on the team. 

I have no faith in this coaching staff or the organization.

I won't even recognize this team when they are done destroying it. Another losing season is in store.

We are on a new 5 year plan. Ugggh. 

1 hour ago, Infam said:

Good point! After a backup with no offseason gets his first start the team riddled with injuries and a starting QB benched, he beats a team that no one in the world expected him to win. Evidence for him to be .. bad??? 😂

I don't even want to know how he would've needed to play so you think he is a franchise QB. Should he have grown a pair of wings and fly away with the ball?

I would expect him to actually be able to perform at at least a somewhat average level when teams adjusted. I would expect him to complete more than half of his passes. I would expect him to score more than 2 times in all of his second half drives. 

He didn't do any of those things.

As for the Saints, good on him for getting a win. Fortunately Taysom Hill was the QB or we lose by double digits.

Right now I am not very excited.  Maybe something changes when it gets closer to the season.  But right now I have a feeling they aren't going to be very good anytime soon and if Wentz does well or wins the Super Bowl with the Colts it is just going to hurt more.

2 minutes ago, Swoop said:

I would expect him to actually be able to perform at at least a somewhat average level when teams adjusted. I would expect him to complete more than half of his passes. I would expect him to score more than 2 times in all of his second half drives. 

He didn't do any of those things.

If that is your expectation, then your view of what a rookie QB should be is highly off base. Particularly in a shortened offseason, where he didn’t even take starters reps all year until he took over.