Are you excited or not?

Infam

Excited for the season?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Excited for the season?

• Hell yeah, next year could be good.
    • Mediocrity, here we come.
    • It's a rebuild, so next year doesn't count.
    • We will be terrible. Fire Howie!
    • No idea how this will go.

On 3/4/2021 at 3:39 AM, matchew88 said:

I like our offense next season. Full offseason of actual coaching to bring a bunch of WRs from year 1 to year 2, or year 2.5 for JJAW. Younger OL with LT covered for sure. Sanders. QB I am optimistic about. And two great tight ends (Kyle Pitts!!!!).

Defense may need a couple of butt tricks with bunnies and footballs.

You like our offense? With question marks over the QB position. An ageing OL. A WR corps who are a mixed bag of talented and useless? You like that offense? 

I was excited about a rebuild but then Howie started doing his usual cap business. Kicking the can down the road. 

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You like our offense? With question marks over the QB position. An ageing OL. A WR corps who are a mixed bag of talented and useless? You like that offense? 

I was excited about a rebuild but then Howie started doing his usual cap business. Kicking the can down the road. 

So after people crying like babies about the cap, which by the way was way lower than it should've been, and will be much higher in coming years due to new deals..

Roseman just restructures some vets and that's it? Shocker, who could've known.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Infam said:

So after people crying like babies about the cap, which by the way was way lower than it should've been, and will be much higher in coming years due to new deals..

Roseman just restructures some vets and that's it? Shocker, who could've known.

But this team needs a complete rebuild... That is more difficult to do when you are paying guys who are no longer on the roster. 

I sometimes enjoy train wrecks, so I'm more excited for the coming year than I was since halftime of the game at Washington.  It's all about the progress-or non-of the new staff.  That's what I'll be focusing on.  I think the Hurts question is tied to that one.  I'll look for improvement from the youngsters to see if any are worth keeping, and I'll look forward to picking at the top of the draft in '22.

On 3/6/2021 at 3:25 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I have optimism in Hurts- saw him make the reads and do well for a rookie in a bad situation, and he has all the intangibles. OL is not aging, it has a good mix. WRs are a product of either bad coaching 2 years ago or bad gameplanning for using them in a game. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 1:11 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But this team needs a complete rebuild... That is more difficult to do when you are paying guys who are no longer on the roster. 

A complete rebuild is a "myth." Nobody does that in today's NFL. You can't because of salary caps and free agency.  We are heading into 2021 with (thanks to Kelce's announcement), the best O-line situation in the NFL. We have top positional guys returning from injuries last year (Johnson, Brooks), an unknown with high end potential in Dillard, and a handful of young players that gained valuable experience last year, due to all the injuries (Mailata, Herbig, Driscoll) that appear to have a bright future. It's a great mix of vets and youth working together under one of the best position coaches in the NFL. In other words, the line is ready for 2021 and the future. No "rebuild" is required here at all. It's right where you want it to be.  

At QB, we have a young prospect that has shown he can play in this league that appears ripe for development. You'll never find out what you have by not giving a player like this a chance. It makes sense to see if he improves each year moving forward. You don't just toss him aside because of the "unknown" to draft another "unknown" for the sake of a "rebuild."

At RB, we have one of the most talented young HBs in the NFL with explosive playmaking ability. There are some durability questions with him, but he hasn't had any major injuries. Behind him, we have Scott, who is better than a lot of fans give him credit for being. It makes sense to add competition here and add a player with size. A "rebuild" is not needed.

At WR, we have a plethora of young, talented WRs that just need a coach that uses them properly and perhaps some time to develop. Some of you will balk at the idea that this group is talented because the Eagles 2020 season was a mess. My opinion is you give this group a chance before casting them aside. It makes sense to add competition, but when used correctly (or just used), even a guy like Fulgham is capable of stringing together games like he did from week 4 - week 9 and there wasn't anybody else in the NFL that productive during that stretch.

At TE, we have Goedert for sure. We expect to part ways with Ertz. Where does that leave us? I say look to re-sign Rodgers and increase the competition for TE3 and see who wins. It makes sense to upgrade the depth here, but our starter is young and way above average and should be the guy moving forward. No rebuild is needed.

On defense, we have productive, expensive vets like Cox and Graham, that are also vocal team leaders and some younger guys like Barnett, Sweat, and Hargrave that are definitely capable of contributing at the NFL level. You always want to keep adding pieces here because these are some of the most expensive positions in the NFL. It makes sense to invest draft resources here, but this position can still remain productive while transitioning from year to year if managed correctly.

At LB, we have a ton of youth. Of the bunch, only Singleton has really proved anything. We also have invested some draft capital here last season on developmental prospects, so hopefully at least one of them pays off in time, but it would be wise to continue to look for immediate help. A complete rebuild isn't needed now, but this position began the process last year. 

At DB, we have the most questions. Slay is the most expensive player of the group, but is valuable to have around for the immediate future. He's a professional that young players can watch and learn from and he does what he's asked to do. After him, it's bleak on the outside. It's really our most glaring need (CB2). This position should undergo a rebuild more than any other. Getting the right guy in the draft that can start early and at least be solid would allow Maddox to move inside. At Safety, we need to find at least one starter. If McCleod is ready to go, he's a solid starter, but we don't know who would be the guy in 2022. Again, DB is probably the only position where a (near) rebuild should be considered. 

You always try to find upgrades all over the team, but acting like a "complete rebuild" is a necessity is comical. Such a thing really never happens. You move pieces around and try to be competitive. A total rebuild takes more years than a coach will be given in the modern NFL and you would just be cycling through a loop of coaching regimes and philosophies while remaining mediocre. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, matchew88 said:

OL is not aging, it has a good mix

A good mix? Kelce, Brooks and Lane all over 30, two of those coming off of significant injuries. Seumalo is fine but the LT position is a genuine concern. 

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

A good mix? Kelce, Brooks and Lane all over 30, two of those coming off of significant injuries. Seumalo is fine but the LT position is a genuine concern. 

Ask yourself this question: How many teams would rather have our OL right now?

Just now, Infam said:

Ask yourself this question: How many teams would rather have our OL right now?

To be honest I don't know. I don't follow other teams to that level. I'm just saying I don't think we have an ideal situation along the OL.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

To be honest I don't know. I don't follow other teams to that level. I'm just saying I don't think we have an ideal situation along the OL.

Well ok, fair enough. I would say five teams tops would rather keep theirs. So we are actually pretty elite there. 

Now, we got plenty of problems, but OL doesn't really seem to be one of them.

3 minutes ago, Infam said:

Well ok, fair enough. I would say five teams tops would rather keep theirs. So we are actually pretty elite there. 

Now, we got plenty of problems, but OL doesn't really seem to be one of them.

I mean look we may well be top 10 when everyone is healthy... But Brooks has 2 torn achilles in the last 3 years. Lane is coming back from a significant injury that ended his season. Kelce is another year older. At this point can we rely on Lane and Brooks to stay healthy?

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean look we may well be top 10 when everyone is healthy... But Brooks has 2 torn achilles in the last 3 years. Lane is coming back from a significant injury that ended his season. Kelce is another year older. At this point can we rely on Lane and Brooks to stay healthy?

That is everywhere in the NFL. Nobody has an OL with twenty year old's that never get hurt. You have to hope people stay healthy.

But as far as this one goes, I would argue our depth at OL is excellent too..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Infam said:

That is everywhere in the NFL. Nobody has an OL with twenty year old's that never get hurt. You have to hope people stay healthy.

But as far as this one goes, I would argue our depth at OL is excellent too..

I agree completely.

Look at our first 8.

Johnson (All Pro level)

Kelce (All Pro level)

Brooks (All Pro level)

Isaac (solid starter)

Mailata (solid starter - huge upside)

Dillard (first rounder, was the starter before injury)

Driscoll (ascending second year player - played well at both guard and tackle)

Herbig (ascending player)

Opeta was okay last year and I expect them to add a rookie. Sure Johnson and Brooks have injury issues, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are going to get injured and that is a deep line.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, brkmsn said:

A complete rebuild is a "myth." Nobody does that in today's NFL. You can't because of salary caps and free agency.  We are heading into 2021 with (thanks to Kelce's announcement), the best O-line situation in the NFL. We have top positional guys returning from injuries last year (Johnson, Brooks), an unknown with high end potential in Dillard, and a handful of young players that gained valuable experience last year, due to all the injuries (Mailata, Herbig, Driscoll) that appear to have a bright future. It's a great mix of vets and youth working together under one of the best position coaches in the NFL. In other words, the line is ready for 2021 and the future. No "rebuild" is required here at all. It's right where you want it to be.  

At QB, we have a young prospect that has shown he can play in this league that appears ripe for development. You'll never find out what you have by not giving a player like this a chance. It makes sense to see if he improves each year moving forward. You don't just toss him aside because of the "unknown" to draft another "unknown" for the sake of a "rebuild."

At RB, we have one of the most talented young HBs in the NFL with explosive playmaking ability. There are some durability questions with him, but he hasn't had any major injuries. Behind him, we have Scott, who is better than a lot of fans give him credit for being. It makes sense to add competition here and add a player with size. A "rebuild" is not needed.

At WR, we have a plethora of young, talented WRs that just need a coach that uses them properly and perhaps some time to develop. Some of you will balk at the idea that this group is talented because the Eagles 2020 season was a mess. My opinion is you give this group a chance before casting them aside. It makes sense to add competition, but when used correctly (or just used), even a guy like Fulgham is capable of stringing together games like he did from week 4 - week 9 and there wasn't anybody else in the NFL that productive during that stretch.

At TE, we have Goedert for sure. We expect to part ways with Ertz. Where does that leave us? I say look to re-sign Rodgers and increase the competition for TE3 and see who wins. It makes sense to upgrade the depth here, but our starter is young and way above average and should be the guy moving forward. No rebuild is needed.

On defense, we have productive, expensive vets like Cox and Graham, that are also vocal team leaders and some younger guys like Barnett, Sweat, and Hargrave that are definitely capable of contributing at the NFL level. You always want to keep adding pieces here because these are some of the most expensive positions in the NFL. It makes sense to invest draft resources here, but this position can still remain productive while transitioning from year to year if managed correctly.

At LB, we have a ton of youth. Of the bunch, only Singleton has really proved anything. We also have invested some draft capital here last season on developmental prospects, so hopefully at least one of them pays off in time, but it would be wise to continue to look for immediate help. A complete rebuild isn't needed now, but this position began the process last year. 

At DB, we have the most questions. Slay is the most expensive player of the group, but is valuable to have around for the immediate future. He's a professional that young players can watch and learn from and he does what he's asked to do. After him, it's bleak on the outside. It's really our most glaring need (CB2). This position should undergo a rebuild more than any other. Getting the right guy in the draft that can start early and at least be solid would allow Maddox to move inside. At Safety, we need to find at least one starter. If McCleod is ready to go, he's a solid starter, but we don't know who would be the guy in 2022. Again, DB is probably the only position where a (near) rebuild should be considered. 

You always try to find upgrades all over the team, but acting like a "complete rebuild" is a necessity is comical. Such a thing really never happens. You move pieces around and try to be competitive. A total rebuild takes more years than a coach will be given in the modern NFL and you would just be cycling through a loop of coaching regimes and philosophies while remaining mediocre. 

Really good post. People don't appreciate it because last year was a mess but if Hurts turns out to be good, then the O could be really good next year, particularly if they get Chase or Pitts in the draft.

The D. I think that could be bad. My feeling is Schwartz has just about held it together with very limited talent. There is very little young talent. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect the D may be bad for a couple of years until we can add more young talent in the draft.

On 3/7/2021 at 3:46 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

To me, aging is if most of our OL are mid-thirties. Mailata is a stud. Our depth is young.

The offense has a lot of question marks.

O line: you have some really solid veterans 2 of whom have had recent injury issues and are older now.  Kelce has been a beast.  The rest are young developing guys or JAGs.  It can work, but health is a huge factor.  They've had injuries on the O line for 4 years in a row now.  You cannot rely on Brooks and Johnson for 16 games.  I hope they play great, they are great players.  It's just age and injury are catching up to them.  And now there's a rumor Brooks is on the trading block.

QB: apparently Hurts will be the guy.  2nd year player still developing.  I like some things I saw from him, and lots to work on.  He's a hard worker.  Still a bit of a question mark but now it will be built around him to see what he can do a full season.

RB: I really like Miles Sanders but he had some injury issues last year let's hope that doesn't continue.  After him, the cupboard is bare.  They really need another quality RB to pair with him.

TE: Ertz will be gone and Goedert is ready to start, but he also had injury last year so hopefully he's good to go this season.  They will need to get another TE to back him up, not sure if Richard Rogers can sustain much longer.

WR:  The WR group is a bunch of JAGs.  The weakest group on the offense.  Practice squad guys, undrafted FA and mid round picks who over achieved but any promise they showed fizzled after a couple games.  Reagor is a 1st round pick who is not living up to the pedigree but is decent, but also already had an injury.  Drafting one of the WRs at #6 would make a lot of sense. 

On 3/7/2021 at 3:46 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

At LT you have Mailata and Dillard. I think Mailata showed a lot last year and Dillard is an unknown. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, matchew88 said:

To me, aging is if most of our OL are mid-thirties. Mailata is a stud. Our depth is young.

Mailata is not a stud. He showed promise but he also (as expected) struggled. 

10 hours ago, Outlaw said:

At LT you have Mailata and Dillard. I think Mailata showed a lot last year and Dillard is an unknown. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's not a stud yes, but he was a good starting LT which is hard to find. Given his complete lack of experience and physical tools his upside his huge, but he has already established a pretty solid floor.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Serious fail of a thread.  :roll:

20 morons.  100 sensible fans.  

Actually we are a lot more split in opinion than I thought we were. 

I didn't think only 35 of 121 would go with "we will be terrible" after a media storm that was convinced we will be. Pretty cool.

On 3/9/2021 at 12:23 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Many people are afraid to jump the gun, but Mailata is probably the best young LT prospect currently on an NFL team . He's still younger than a lot of guys that get drafted and has developed so fast, that it's remarkable.  It's crazy that fans are downplaying him just because he's panning out after starting as a developmental prospect.

• Like 1