Round 3 (#103): Eagles select Davion Taylor (Colorado OLB)

Moderator6

I'm sorry but after the Hurts pick I just don't give a F.

• Like 3

This is a good pick. Its a LB. Hes incredibly fast and athletic. High upside guy who needs some work but should help on STs right away.

It's really too bad. If Howie didnt get stupid in round 2 and had taken Mims or Fulton this would be a great draft so far. 

Big picks in round four tomorrow. Need to get some help for the secondary, OL, and maybe another WR.

1 hour ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

"After the Senior Bowl, Davion Taylor was rated as a prospect with tremendous upside that could possibly land in the 5th or 6th Round. After posting a blazing 4.39 in the 40-yard dash at Colorado’s Pro Day, he upped his draft position to become a possible 3rd Round pick."

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/04/23/colorado-buffaloes-nfl-draft-football/

Ernie Sims was an athletic freak as well with poor instincts.

Hope this guy turns out better than him.

54 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

nah, Jon Harris, Danny Watkins, Jerome McDougal, SIdney Jones LJ smith, Agholor, the list of not so great high picks is long, we just don't draft well consistently. Every now and again we hit some home runs, but it's more rare than common occurrence. 

I agree, we have yet to draft any lineman, or DB's

Yeah but at least those guys had potential to play, hurts ceiling is to get traded in a few years for hopefully more than 53rd pick in the draft.

Using a 2nd on a developmemtal qb when ones qb just signed a multi year extension is a criminal use of resources especially for a team that has holes to fill.

I dont care if hurts in 2 years fetches a 1st round pick hes still a worse pick at this juncture than every guy listed above.

I mean kolb fetched a higher pick than where he was drafted but no one considers kolb not a bust.

The eagles arent in a position where they can afford to groom a qb for an aging vet. Theyre grooming him for future draft capital which is asinine.

It would make sense if he was a 4th rounder that was flipped for a 2nd or 1st but a 2nd rounder???

Why not just use the current draft capital to acquire talent instead of using draft capital to maybe acquire future draft capital. The value in return isnt worth the time and cost took to possibly acquire it.

Its just a high risk low reward investment.(end rant)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

right i'm not mad about itbut its hard to focus on the draft after that

1 hour ago, T-1000 said:

This is a good pick. Its a LB. Hes incredibly fast and athletic. High upside guy who needs some work but should help on STs right away.

It's really too bad. If Howie didnt get stupid in round 2 and had taken Mims or Fulton this would be a great draft so far. 

Big picks in round four tomorrow. Need to get some help for the secondary, OL, and maybe another WR.

We don’t need special teams right away...for the third pick we should have our borderline starter...cmon man

I’m so pissed off at howie right now...I hope the rona Cancels this year...goddamnit 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't care about this move. They've taken a QB and haven't given Wentz another weapon on day 2.

They view Hurts as a weapon for Wentz on gimmick plays. That's how dumb their thinking is now.  If Howie and Doug were paying attention to the Saints, they should've noticed that Taysom Hill's gimmick plays weren't working well in the playoffs because teams were figuring out that he usually runs sweeps.  Those gimmicks like wildcat and inserting guys like Hill have a shelf life. Coordinators usually figure out tendencies.

4 minutes ago, Eagleblood52 said:

We don’t need special teams right away...for the third pick we should have our borderline starter...cmon man

First of all, I said at the very least he contributes on STs right away. Second of all, most third round picks dont come right in and start.....CMON MAN.

• Like 1

Just now, CaliEagle said:

They view Hurts as a weapon for Wentz on gimmick plays. That's how dumb their thinking is now.  If Howie and Doug were paying attention to the Saints, they should've noticed that Taysom Hill's gimmick plays weren't working well in the playoffs because teams were figuring out that he usually runs sweeps.  Those gimmicks like wildcat and inserting guys like Hill have a shelf life. Coordinators usually figure out tendencies.

That's so freaking dumb. You don't take a gimmick player in the second round to only be only to use a handful of times a year. 

4 hours ago, Ipiggles said:

Yup GM's fall in LOVE with----------------------------------------------------------POTENTIAL.

I thought they said they were going to take production over potential, actually on field play vs combine warriors? Could have sworn Howie or someone said that at end of season.

I thought he said the opposite tbh. I’m sure I can remember him saying prior to the draft that he thinks they put too much stock in production.

I admit I don't really know much about this guy.

So, I'll ask the most important thing right away: Can he cover? 😄

CBS seems to love the pick:

103. Eagles: EDGE Davion Taylor, Colorado

Grade: A. Taylor got a raw label during pre-draft process I didn't see. Crazy fast. Takes on and defeats blocks with authority. Played and held his own flexed out as cornerback at times. Major range. Reads keys quickly. New-age LB and exactly what Philadelphia needs. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eaglestime34 said:

Is it deep?  I thought different.  Maybe I'm wrong.  

That's what she said

6 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

This was my initial thought, too. After the Hurts pick I became numb, lost interest, and almost fell asleep.

This pick is very intriguing, though. It’s the definition of "boom-or-bust.” His speed, acceleration, and physicality can’t be taught. The downside is that, since he hasn’t played enough football, the instincts may never be there.

The range of outcomes truly go from  "best player in the league at his position” to "out of the league because he can’t be trusted on the field; blows assignments in the same way Howie blows 2nd round picks.”

He was said to be one of the Colorado coaching staff’s favorite players and it’s fun to watch him take on/attack blockers. His skill set is the prototype for the modern NFL. He potentially fills a tremendous need, too.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

This was my initial thought, too. After the Hurts pick I became numb, lost interest, and almost fell asleep.

They can't recover this mess now. 

6 hours ago, Ipiggles said:

Yup GM's fall in LOVE with----------------------------------------------------------POTENTIAL.

I thought they said they were going to take production over potential, actually on field play vs combine warriors? Could have sworn Howie or someone said that at end of season.

No they said the opposite actually. They said they are not going to just judge a player on college production anymore and look at everything especially guys with higher ceilings athleticism wise

This draft pick doesn't know how to play LB. He has to be taught like Gerry. Another wasted pick.

5 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

This draft pick doesn't know how to play LB. He has to be taught like Gerry. Another wasted pick.

This pick comes down to one thing as Howie said " one of the fastest, explosive players in the draft" Howie has gone speed crazy at this point and that factor has taken over his draft board. 

• Like 3

i like this pick. developmental prospect with high ceiling. i can dig it. didnt get my guy Gibson though. damn Redskins.

4 minutes ago, judunno said:

i like this pick. developmental prospect with high ceiling. i can dig it. didnt get my guy Gibson though. damn Redskins.

Meh who cares this team clearly isn't going to contend with this FO.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Meh who cares this team clearly isn't going to contend with this FO.

Confused by this statement. They are investing in speed which everyone wanted around these parts. Some of the fastest players in each position drafted so far 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

Howie is absolutely blowing this draft.  You can't make this up. How to take a deep draft and come away with virtually nothing except Reagor.

He did that with the draft last year in a RB deep draft, Pumphrey. At least he's consistent.

Just now, judunno said:

Confused by this statement. They are investing in speed which everyone wanted around these parts. Some of the fastest players in each position drafted so far 🙂

Speed at QB wonderful great.