ROUND 3 (#73): Eagles select Milton Williams (Louisiana Tech DT)

Moderator6

1 minute ago, T-1000 said:

Dude, he's not going to go on the radio and lie about who Donahoe wanted. Use your brains. He prefered McNeil to Williams who went at 72 after they traded down. Whether you want to use common sense and admit that is a different story. Also, Andrew Dicecco disagrees with you. He said McPhearson was great value at 123 and as good or better than the corners that went in the third round. As I keep telling people like you, we won't know crap about this draft for 2-3 years so everything else is speculation. 

I am fine with Zech. I am fine that he is an Eagle. He was a good value in round 4. 2 years or more from now..you can judge yourself which of the 9 CBs between round 3 and 4 did best. For the next 2 years I will be watching..patiently all 9 CBs. 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Because a 6th round pick.... is worthless. Go, Hoooooowwwwwiiiiieeeeeee

Except he flipped that useless 6 and a 7 this year into a 5th next year in a much deeper draft. I call him out when he’s dumb and praise him when he’s shrewd. That was a solid move. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Except he flipped that useless 6 and a 7 this year into a 5th next year in a much deeper draft. I call him out when he’s dumb and praise him when he’s shrewd. That was a solid move. 

Oh yeah for sure. Acquiring a fifth round pick next year was a good move by Howie especially as next year is supposed to be a really deep class. 

3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

No, it wasn't shrewd at all. You don't go screwing up the 2nd and 3rd picks, which he did. The guy needs to be fired or at least removed from player personnel entirely. I'll let all this go though- I just want the team to do well. Screw Howie and Go Eagles!!

9 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

No, it wasn't shrewd at all. You don't go screwing up the 2nd and 3rd picks, which he did. The guy needs to be fired or at least removed from player personnel entirely. I'll let all this go though- I just want the team to do well. Screw Howie and Go Eagles!!

The draft is over. Picks have been made. I would have went Barmore or Koramoah in the second and picked a CB in the 3rd. But  It is what it is. Howie did OK in this draft. Next year we will have some nice picks. Time to move on. 🙂 Go Eagles.

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

Well, most people disagree with you. I’d take Milton Williams over Alim McNeil or Aaron Robinson (who while good, 100% is a slot corner that we don’t need). Dickerson was a hell of a gamble, but the die have been cast on him just gotta pray they don’t crap out. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 9:13 PM, T-1000 said:

Some draft rankings for Milton Williams

Dane Brugler - 70

Daniel Jeremiah - 72

CBS Sports big board - 72

PFF - 73 / 3rd best DT

Can someone explain to me why the Barrett Brooks's, ESP'S, TATErs, and hoague mouths on twitter are trashing this pick as a reach and acting like this guy was some nobody. Seriously, do people even watch college football or do 30 mins of research of prospects in the NFL draft before they run their mouths. People like Brooks and ESP get Fing paid to do this. If people don't like the pick and think they really should have forced a CB pick rather than go for value, fine. To say this was a horrible value pick though which is what I keep seeing and hearing is just downright stupid and lazy.

The 3 reasons why I hated this pick..(In a very calm and responsible  manner.. without throwing a tantrum  like I did on the second day of the draft. LOL). Is because:

1) The level of competition he faced was such that he could often get by just by strength and athleticism as compared to technique, which won’t help him that much in the NFL. 

2) one time he went up against a talented offensive line against BYU, he was kept well in check. 

3) some scouts wonder if he was just a one-year wonder. He did not have more than 1 good year.

Notice: Just like Dickerson..I said I hate the Pick..not the player..He was over-drafted..but has aggressiveness and may have potential.

22 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

1) The level of competition he faced was such that he could often get by just by strength and athleticism as compared to technique, which won’t help him that much in the NFL. 

But he can be coached up right? He's now in the NFL and it is up to his positions coach to develop him up. He has the athleticism and the power, so let's see if they can coach him up. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But he can be coached up right? He's now in the NFL and it is up to his positions coach to develop him up. He has the athleticism and the power, so let's see if they can coach him up. 

He has agressiveness ..Eagles call it High motor. LOL. That's good. Like I said previously he did not do well against quality competition in college. Whether he can be coached ..only time will tell.

4 hours ago, Talonblood said:

How did he screw it up? We got a guy in the second round that people think will be an all pro lineman if he’s healthy. I’ll take that risk. And most people seem to think Williams > McNeil. It seems like most people think the eagles had a good draft, and we came out of it with a first and fifth round pick next year, to boot.

6 hours ago, vaff said:

How did he screw it up? We got a guy in the second round that people think will be an all pro lineman if he’s healthy. I’ll take that risk. And most people seem to think Williams > McNeil. It seems like most people think the eagles had a good draft, and we came out of it with a first and fifth round pick next year, to boot.

Group thinking, and listening to hype, will lead the sheep to the slaughter house. Learn to have your own opinions ..instead of accepting opinions of professional TV personalities who have other agendas. 🙂

10 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

The 3 reasons why I hated this pick..(In a very calm and responsible  manner.. without throwing a tantrum  like I did on the second day of the draft. LOL). Is because:

2) one time he went up against a talented offensive line against BYU, he was kept well in check. 

3) some scouts wonder if he was just a one-year wonder. He did not have more than 1 good year.

Notice: Just like Dickerson..I said I hate the Pick..not the player..He was over-drafted..but has aggressiveness and may have potential.

You should apply to be an NFL gm, or at the very least a head of a team's scouting department.

11 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Some things can be coached up, yes. Short arms cannot be fixed by coaching though.  :ph34r:

Not saying he can’t be good... Watch if he gives up broken tackles. 

1 hour ago, T-1000 said:

You should apply to be an NFL gm, or at the very least a head of a team's scouting department.

LOL.  🙂 

Ignore this if already posted, I haven't read all the pages. Here's the only concern I've seen on Williams. It is of course an anonymous scout so yeah ......

Second scout: "Carolina took Vernon Butler from there late in the first round (in 2016), and he never did anything. This kid is better than Butler. He’s got everything you’re looking for, but he doesn’t play hard. He flashes, then he takes three or four plays off. But (after) the (pro-day) workout, somebody’s got to grab him in the second.”

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/5/4/22419374/nfl-draft-2021-eagles-anonymous-scouts-picks-class-udfa-signings-devonta-smith-kenny-gainwell-rumors

12 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Well, most people disagree with you. I’d take Milton Williams over Alim McNeil or Aaron Robinson (who while good, 100% is a slot corner that we don’t need). Dickerson was a hell of a gamble, but the die have been cast on him just gotta pray they don’t crap out. 

Nearly every sports writer in Philly AGREE with me, so there's that.

9 hours ago, vaff said:

We got a center with no knees and a 3rd round pick that every nearly Philly sports writer hates.

13 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

The draft is over. Picks have been made. I would have went Barmore or Koramoah in the second and picked a CB in the 3rd. But  It is what it is. Howie did OK in this draft. Next year we will have some nice picks. Time to move on. 🙂 Go Eagles.

Since when is blowing 2 and 3rd round picks ok? Every year?

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

Nearly every sports writer in Philly AGREE with me, so there's that.

Lol @ philly sports writers. Read some of the well respected National guys like Brandt, Jeremiah, Caplan, etc. Hell Brugler gave us his highest grade. I can’t wait until Milton Williams is killing it and I can search these posts up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Since when is blowing 2 and 3rd round picks ok? Every year?

What do you propose we do ? Go back into the past and redo the draft? Howie is a gambler who takes unnecessary medical risks on high character guys hoping to get a Mercedes for the price of Ford...But mostly he gets a Hyundai for the price of Mercedes. At this point  there is nothing that can be done. I vividly disagreed with 2nd and 3rd round picks value, multiple times ...But they are Eagles at this point and that is that. On the opposite hand..I salute Howie for some late draft picks, getting Smith, and next year picks.( even though it was mostly a leftover of Wentz catastrophe.)

7 hours ago, toolg said:

Some things can be coached up, yes. Short arms cannot be fixed by coaching though.  :ph34r:

Yeah that's absolutely fair you can't change his reach. 

8 hours ago, toolg said:

If this was an outside position ..a DE, or OT..your point would be right on the money. You can not teach shorter arms and you do require reach at outside positions. However I would argue that in the position that he plays Inside..if he has other skills to compensate, he can possibly get away with shorter arms. Crossing my fingers. 🙂

21 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

If this was an outside position ..a DE, or OT..your point would be right on the money. You can not teach shorter arms and you do require reach at outside positions. However I would argue that in the position that he plays Inside..if he has other skills to compensate, he can possibly get away with shorter arms. Crossing my fingers. 🙂

I think the thing is though is that he's possibly going to be moved around. I don't think he's going to exclusively play DT. I could be wrong but I think a player like Williams they may move around. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the thing is though is that he's possibly going to be moved around. I don't think he's going to exclusively play DT. I could be wrong but I think a player like Williams they may move around. 

He may spend a lot of time on the side lines, before he even gets on the field. Need to take a look at preseason games before evaluating him.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Lol @ philly sports writers. Read some of the well respected National guys like Brandt, Jeremiah, Caplan, etc. Hell Brugler gave us his highest grade. I can’t wait until Milton Williams is killing it and I can search these posts up. 

You are going to have a lot of material to work with.  Sounds like you have actually watched these guys play.