ROUND 3 (#73): Eagles select Milton Williams (Louisiana Tech DT)

Moderator6

2 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

Well if im paying howies salary....   or any other gm’s for that matter.  No f’n fist bumps until at least one of your draft selections makes an actual positive impact on the organization’s success.   Period

well...not "period”.  You can fist bp yourself in the privacy of your own home all you want (which imim sure he does all the time)

If on the other hand, Howie's approval of you is required for Lurie to pay your salary, and he wants fist bumps, you're probably fist bumping whether you like it or not.

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2021 at 10:55 PM, birdman#12 said:

It's got to be really hard For Tom Donohue to have respect for howie.........

Howie should not be allowed to make the picks next year as we have 2-3 in the first and howie is a dweeb. 

• Like 2

This feels like a pick from the sports analytics team..

Given his measurements he sure has a high ceiling. Let's hope for the best.

I grade this pick an B+

It would have been a B but they did trade back to add another player in the 6th. I like Williams. I felt he should have been a round 4 candidate. I know some did rate him in the late 2nd to 3rd. I feel he is a DT or a plug DE. Hes not a pure pass rusher, most sacks on the outside were coverage sacks. But I do like the player a lot. I think he will be great in a rotation at DT. 

I hope he's Milton the Monster.

• Like 1

Its the Monster Mash

(The Milton Mash)

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 1:20 PM, weko said:

You can package those early 6th rounders and move up 20 spots into the 5th round.  I'd be looking to do that as the 5th round will offer players that should make your roster.  6th round is more of a practice squad type.  I would trade up and get a 2nd 5th rounder

If you followed the drafts closely, you'd realize that this is being referred to as a poor draft - a draft where it is undesirable to carry too many low round picks.  I credit Howie for flipping a 6 and 7 from 2021 into a 2022 5th rounder.  However, the Giants jumped the Eagles and drafted a hard tackling CB the Eagles were targeting with their remaining 3rd round pick (the other having been traded to move up to draft Devonta Smith), and CB is a position of need for the Eagles.  It was a mistake by Howie that there really was no excuse for.  That 6th rounder cost the team possibly a starting CB that is now lost to a division rival.  Chew on that one.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Procus said:

If you followed the drafts closely, you'd realize that this is being referred to as a poor draft - a draft where it is undesirable to carry too many low round picks.  I credit Howie for flipping a 6 and 7 from 2021 into a 2022 5th rounder.  However, the Giants jumped the Eagles and drafted a hard tackling CB the Eagles were targeting with their remaining 3rd round pick (the other having been traded to move up to draft Devonta Smith), and CB is a position of need for the Eagles.  It was a mistake by Howie that there really was no excuse for.  That 6th rounder cost the team possibly a starting CB that is now lost to a division rival.  Chew on that one.

I'd rather have Milton than a CB who played his college career in the slot. Getting a 6th on top of that, which was converted to a 2022 5th, makes this a fantastic move.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Utebird said:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/milton-williams.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/geno-atkins

Milton and Geno Atkins spider charts are almost identical.

He's the guy I think he most comps to.

Would be great if he had a similar career.

Yup. Athletically his two best comps are Aaron Donald and Geno Atkins. If he’s anything close to them, we are talking about a HOF caliber player. Such a better pick than some low upside slot corner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TEW said:

I'd rather have Milton than a CB who played his college career in the slot. Getting a 6th on top of that, which was converted to a 2022 5th, makes this a fantastic move.

You mean like Patrick Robinson?

14 minutes ago, TEW said:

Yup. Athletically his two best comps are Aaron Donald and Geno Atkins. If he’s anything close to them, we are talking about a HOF caliber player. Such a better pick than some low upside slot corner.

HOF'er?  Based on workouts? 

😂😂😂

https://nypost.com/2021/05/01/2021-nfl-draft-aaron-robinson-gave-giants-cornerback-value/

Giants didn’t want to ‘sit and wait’ to draft Aaron Robinson

May 1, 2021 | 12:27am

It was no secret the Giants wanted to select a cornerback in the first two days of the 2021 NFL Draft. They would have taken Patrick Surtain II or Jaycee Horn in the first round, but both were off the board, prompting the Giants to trade down.

Two rounds later, the Giants traded up to get one, moving from No. 76 to 71 in the third round Friday night to get Aaron Robinson from Central Florida.

"The value we had on Aaron, I just didn’t want to sit and wait,’’ general manger Dave Gettleman said. "He’s a press corner, and really fits what we do and who we want to be on defense.’’

Robinson started the past two years at Central Florida after transferring from Alabama. The Giants admittedly did not know much about him early in the process.

"I was sitting here through the pandemic, threw on the UCF tape and his instincts, his toughness and his tackling jumped out to me,’’ director of college scouting Chris Pettit said.

Aaron Robinson Getty Images

Two meetings with Robinson at the Senior Bowl went a long way toward the Giants giving him their stamp of approval.

"This guy’s got a good personality, he really lights up,’’ head coach Joe Judge said. "On the field when he makes a play his teammates immediately sprint to him, you can see he has a bond with his teammates.’’

The Giants see Robinson as a physical corner who can play in the slot, and perhaps on the boundary, as well. They have James Bradberry and newly signed Adoree’ Jackson as their starting corners, and Darnay Holmes, Sam Beal and Isaac Yiadom also are on the roster. The Giants liked Robinson enough to trade up for him.

"Thank those guys for believing in me,’’ Robinson said. "That just pushes me to want to get up there and work 10 times harder for some guys who believed in me.’

23 minutes ago, Procus said:

Patrick Robinson was a boundary corner in college. And a first round pick because of it. A boundary corner for the Saints. Who was considered somewhat of a bust because he couldn't handle it.

😂😂😂

"IF HE'S ANYTHING CLOSE TO THEM," he will be a hall of fame caliber player. Maybe reading comprehension isn't your strong suit?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TEW said:

"IF HE'S ANYTHING CLOSE TO THEM," he will be a hall of fame caliber player. Maybe reading comprehension isn't your strong suit?

Well, I just assumed that a TATEr wouldn't be so brain dead as to make the jump from mere workout warrior to comparison to HOF caliber players based solely on a workout.  I see I was wrong for making that assumption.

9 minutes ago, Procus said:

Dude, tell me the last player who performed just okay in college but who had a HOF career following monster workout stats

He didn't perform "just OK."

He was literally first team all conference USA.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Procus said:

Well, I just assumed that a TATEr wouldn't be so brain dead as to make the jump from mere workout warrior to comparison to HOF caliber players based solely on a workout.  I see I was wrong for making that assumption.

And I just assumed people on a message board would be literate, but I can see I was wrong for making that assumption.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TEW said:

And I just assumed people on a message board would be literate, but I can see I was wrong for making that assumption.

lol - I see you don't understand what the word "literate" means

18 minutes ago, TEW said:

He didn't perform "just OK."

He was literally first team all conference USA.

I want very much for you to be right and for me to be wrong on this

13 minutes ago, Procus said:

lol - I see you don't understand what the word "literate" means

I want very much for you to be right and for me to be wrong on this

No, I do, which is why I used it. Conditional phrases seem to give you trouble.

I hope he approaches the level of Atkins and Donald too. Of course the odds are he won't. But the point is that physically he compares very favorably to them, so in a best case scenario that is the sort of player he can become. More likely he develops into a decent rotational player, because that's what the odds are. The upside is a monster, the downside for every pick is a bust. The difference between Williams and Robinson is that Robinson does not have that level of upside. Hence, Williams is the better pick IMO.

1 hour ago, Procus said:

😂😂😂

Based on athletic and physical traits, geno and milton are about the same size milton has better athletic testing numbers than geno and donald, donald has longer arms than both, which really help him, milton's short arms could hinder him.

No one is saying he's going to be aHOF because he comps with donald and atkins just that they have similar body types and athletic traits.

If milton has half the production or is even half the player donald is that still pretty good.

I could see him being closer to a poor man's geno atkins, which again is pretty good for a 3rd rounder 

Then again he could just be a workout warrior and totally suck at football.

We'll see.

32 minutes ago, TEW said:

No, I do, which is why I used it. Conditional phrases seem to give you trouble.

Worry about your own reading comprehension issues.  You picked the wrong one to after.  lol

On 5/1/2021 at 4:48 PM, time2rock said:

They supposedly wanted the corner from UCF (Robinson) - the Giants scooped him up with the very next pick.  Just another example of Howie getting cute.  

Most people seem to think Williams is the better player. And Robinson is best suited at nickel corner, where Avonte Maddox is more than capable of playing. I’m not sure I believe the rumour that we really wanted Robinson.

9 hours ago, Utebird said:

Based on athletic and physical traits, geno and milton are about the same size milton has better athletic testing numbers than geno and donald, donald has longer arms than both, which really help him, milton's short arms could hinder him.

No one is saying he's going to be aHOF because he comps with donald and atkins just that they have similar body types and athletic traits.

If milton has half the production or is even half the player donald is that still pretty good.

I could see him being closer to a poor man's geno atkins, which again is pretty good for a 3rd rounder 

Then again he could just be a workout warrior and totally suck at football.

We'll see.

But he doesn’t suck at football. Whether it translates to the NFL, who knows? But it’s not like he didn’t prove himself on the field in college.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, vaff said:

Most people seem to think Williams is the better player. And Robinson is best suited at nickel corner, where Avonte Maddox is more than capable of playing. I’m not sure I believe the rumour that we really wanted Robinson.

Especially since a later report suggested our "real" (note: use the term loosely) target was DT Alim McNeill.

https://sports.yahoo.com/lions-gm-brad-holmes-looks-123147092.html

I don't know who the intended target really was, but judging by the reaction of Donahue, it is likely easy to surmise that they weren't all on the same page (yet again).  I do hope Williams turns into a solid player for us, but my concerns are more about Howie doing his own thing and going against the board the scouts set up as has been reported.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Especially since a later report suggested our "real" (note: use the term loosely) target was DT Alim McNeill.

https://sports.yahoo.com/lions-gm-brad-holmes-looks-123147092.html

I don't know who the intended target really was, but judging by the reaction of Donahue, it is likely easy to surmise that they weren't all on the same page (yet again).  I do hope Williams turns into a solid player for us, but my concerns are more about Howie doing his own thing and going against the board the scouts set up as has been reported.  

They did take Tarron Jackson with that 6th pick and it maybe made them more likely to trade to get the 5th from WFT.  Obviously we won't know for a bit.  I bash Howie a lot but I'm not convinced Donahoe is right either.

• Like 1