ROUND 3 (#73): Eagles select Milton Williams (Louisiana Tech DT)

Moderator6

Do we need a slot corner like Robinson?  Does that justify Donahue's reaction?

34 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

Yeah the "fun” bs got me.   They call it a war room for a reason.   It aint supposed to be fun and you should never be satisfied with your effort or haul.  And you certainly dont high five or fist bump or celebrate  i dont care how bad you wanted the player. It’s arrogant and unprofessional and looks stupid

Anyone ever hear Bill Belichick say how much  fun the draft was? How about fist bumps?  

I don't care if they have fun and celebrate, every team should.  But when you don't draft well, there are multiple reports of dysfunction like the owner vetoing picks, Howie ignoring scouts and them not happy in the past...then you see that exchange...it's a bad look.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philthy Jawn said:

But outside of the first round, that's not what the draft is for, especially in a rebuilding year.  Drafting for need is what has gotten us into trouble in the past.  Furthermore, we don't need a slot corner like Robinson.  

You really think drafting for need is a bad idea?  Teams have needs, and they can prioritize those needs.   You don't draft for need when you have to reach or taking a player who fits the position, but doesn't fit scheme or coaches preference.

Teams always draft for need.  The eagles were in a position to address their 2 biggest needs without reaching and without putting a square peg in a round hole.

What they did was draft a player who has a laundry list of injuries who plays on the offensive line....a place where the eagles have been devastated by injuries.  And they took him in a slot where they had multiple choices at DB, their second biggest need.  Don't tell me that would have been a bad choice there because of need......that's just stupid.

The draft is a source for new talent regardless of a rebuilding year.  Neither their 2nd or 3rd round picks needed to be projects, reaches, question marks or depth.  

26 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I don't care if they have fun and celebrate, every team should.  But when you don't draft well, there are multiple reports of dysfunction like the owner vetoing picks, Howie ignoring scouts and them not happy in the past...then you see that exchange...it's a bad look.

Agreed it is a bad look after the reports and stories that have emerged this off season... But I'm sure this happens in every draft room every year. 

33 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

It may not have just been that one pick.......the taking of an oft-injured OL in the second when they had clear need and good choices for a DB.  

One pick usually doesn't piss off an experienced personnel guy like Donohue......this might be a culmination of disagreements.....

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But we don't know that they then missed out on their player because they moved down?

They supposedly wanted the corner from UCF (Robinson) - the Giants scooped him up with the very next pick.  Just another example of Howie getting cute.  

46 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

Maybe and maybe not. The thing is, Donahoe has been an advisor for this team for a number of years now and has watched Howie blow pick after pick, year after year. I think his reaction is the cumulative result of having a front row seat to all of that fail. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, time2rock said:

They supposedly wanted the corner from UCF (Robinson) - the Giants scooped him up with the very next pick.  Just another example of Howie getting cute.  

They being? Donohue? But do we know what? Maybe he just didn't like the Williams pick? 

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

You have 10 picks already.  You want a player at 70 you take him .... not move down just to pick up another late day 3 pick.  

Optionality.... Championship!

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

I get that its a bad look when you suck at drafting.  But I disagree that it every team should have fun and celebrate the draft.  Even if you are good at it like the steelers or patriots or whatever.  

If its my team im all business in the draft and im not going to show my feelings on my picks.  I dont want my new employee thinking he is special and i dont want my competitors or my fan base thinking im satisfied because i just selected a guy who has done ZERO at this level

Of course thats just my opinion.   Doesnt make it right and it isnt something i put a bunch of thought into. 

2 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

I get that its a bad look when you suck at drafting.  But I disagree that it every team should have fun and celebrate the draft.  Even if you are good at it like the steelers or patriots or whatever.  

If its my team im all business in the draft and im not going to show my feelings on my picks.  I dont want my new employee thinking he is special and i dont want my competitors or my fan base thinking im satisfied because i just selected a guy who has done ZERO at this level

I understand, but to me you put in all that work all year and are all business, then when you're off the clock you take 30 seconds to high five or fist bump isn't a big deal, it's celebrating the efforts of your hard work.  For Howie given what people think of him, it looks dorky and like he's desperate for validation.  You see other teams celebrate and excited about their picks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philthy Jawn said:

We need everything... new DC too so not even sure if the current group matches the style that he wants outside of Slay

6 minutes ago, judunno said:

We need everything... new DC too so not even sure if the current group matches the style that he wants outside of Slay

I would like to see Maddox play in Gannon's scheme before we give up on him and draft a new slot cb.

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

Gannon really wanted him lol. Gotta give the cook the groceries he asks for.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Gannon really wanted him lol. Gotta give the cook the groceries he asks for.

I had no problem with the pick for the most part the video was just hilarious of Howie and Tom

1 minute ago, philafan4o8 said:

I had no problem with the pick for the most part the video was just hilarious of Howie and Tom

Yeah, but apparently they clipped the video parameters to make Howie look bad. I thought it was cool to see more reactions in the room. Context matters. 

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

I understand, but to me you put in all that work all year and are all business, then when you're off the clock you take 30 seconds to high five or fist bump isn't a big deal, it's celebrating the efforts of your hard work.  For Howie given what people think of him, it looks dorky and like he's desperate for validation.  You see other teams celebrate and excited about their picks. 

Well if im paying howies salary....   or any other gm’s for that matter.  No f’n fist bumps until at least one of your draft selections makes an actual positive impact on the organization’s success.   Period

well...not "period”.  You can fist bp yourself in the privacy of your own home all you want (which imim sure he does all the time)

2 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Meh, I was thinking corner here.

I was hoping for a CB as each new round approached. I wanted Surtain or Horn at 12 (even at 6 I wanted Surtain). But pick 12 (later 10) was too early for anybody else, so I'm happy with Smith. I hoped we'd go CB in rd 2 ... then again in rd 3 ...

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Yeah, but apparently they clipped the video parameters to make Howie look bad. I thought it was cool to see more reactions in the room. Context matters. 

The context didn’t matter. It was a bad look especially with the athletic article coming out about disfunction in the front office. Happens often I’m sure in any war room but they are never televised. I thought it was funny, I didn’t think much of it because Williams is a solid player

12 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

The context didn’t matter. It was a bad look especially with the athletic article coming out about disfunction in the front office. Happens often I’m sure in any war room but they are never televised. I thought it was funny, I didn’t think much of it because Williams is a solid player

The context certainly does matter if one is trying to prove disfunction. Gannon was ecstatic  and celebrating with Howie. Then some time passes (maybe just a few seconds, maybe a minute) and then we get to the clip that implied Howie must have gone rogue and was being shunned. No audio was included to clarify emotions. It was just a portion of a total clip posted with the sole intent (proven by the tweet caption) to make Howie appear in a negative light. 

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

The context certainly does matter if one is trying to prove disfunction. Gannon was ecstatic  and celebrating with Howie. Then some time passes (maybe just a few seconds, maybe a minute) and then we get to the clip that implied Howie must have gone rogue and was being shunned. No audio was included to clarify emotions. It was just a portion of a total clip posted with the sole intent (proven by the tweet caption) to make Howie appear in a negative light. 

Lol you are making assumptions and I am spiting fact. Howie literally addressed it in last nights press conference. In this case senior director of player personnel, fell in love with a specific prospect and was upset after they traded back and drafted Milton. That means there was disagreement. No one said Howie went Rogue or that there was disfunction. But with the article from the athletic that spoke about disfunction this clip just was not a good look. It’s really not that big of a deal but bad look and pretty funny. 

5 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Lol you are making assumptions and I am spiting fact. Howie literally addressed it in last nights press conference. In this case senior director of player personnel, fell in love with a specific prospect and was upset after they traded back and drafted Milton. That means there was disagreement. No one said Howie went Rogue or that there was disfunction. But with the article from the athletic that spoke about disfunction this clip just was not a good look. It’s really not that big of a deal but bad look and pretty funny. 

Personally, for the record, I didn't feel like you were taking a position on the matter. It seemed to me, that you were only relaying the notion portrayed in the tweet. I had to quote your post because of the tweet. To clarify, I wasn't arguing with you or making assumptions about you, I was rebutting the perception portrayed in the tweet you posted. I feel they purposely left out some of what happened simply to make Howie look stupid. 

Anyway, I don't care about fist bumps. I care about how the team comes together. The DC liked the pick, so I can reasonably expect him to get a lot of production from it. 

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

Personally, for the record, I didn't feel like you were taking a position on the matter. It seemed to me, that you were only relaying the notion portrayed in the tweet. I had to quote your post because of the tweet. To clarify, I wasn't arguing with you or making assumptions about you, I was rebutting the perception portrayed in the tweet you posted. I feel they purposely left out some of what happened simply to make Howie look stupid. 

Anyway, I don't care about fist bumps. I care about how the team comes together. The DC liked the pick, so I can reasonably expect him to get a lot of production from it. 

Fair enough, lol I just wanted to clear my name. That was not your intent so no worries. clip was still funny