Ongoing Draft Discussion

jsdarkstar

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Jsvand12 said:

My issue is that I think there is zero chance Hurts will be willing to stand there with a clipboard for 4 years. He’ll want to be a starter and can force a trade. Even if they manage to flip him for a pick in the future I can’t imagine that pick will be all that much higher then the 53rd pick that was used to draft him.

And that is ok.  In the two years that he is here you will have bought yourself QB insurance for nothing.......  that is invaluable 

On 4/28/2020 at 6:06 PM, SBorBust said:

What do you believe to be the percentage chance of Wentz being out for multiple weeks at any point in the next 4 seasons?

80-85%?

15 hours ago, McMahonHeadband said:

And that is ok.  In the two years that he is here you will have bought yourself QB insurance for nothing.......  that is invaluable 

Not more valuable than having a starting player on the field with that pick.

The Eagles value the Back UP QB position. Hurts will be a backup QB. He's not going to play and probably won't dress on game day. He wasn't drafted for his immediate impact but for long term future impact. It's going to take time for him develop into the QB the Eagles think he can be. (Russell Wilson). Sudfeld is # 2 and knows the playbook and has some experience to boot. If Wentz goes down, Sudfeld comes in, no doubt about it. 

Say two years from now, Wentz wins the Division, takes us to the NFC Championship but gets injured in the first quarter and Hurts comes in and wins the game. Will it matter then? To me, this is why they drafted him as an Insurance Policy for Wentz.

51 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

He's not going to play and probably won't dress on game day

Thats what you want from a second rounder lol.

22 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Thats what you want from a second rounder lol.

No. That's what the Eagles wanted.

9 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

No. That's what the Eagles wanted.

I didn't mean YOU. I meant in general lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 11:28 PM, Nivraga said:

It's actually very explainable - I was shocked like everyone and a little pissed like everyone - but once I had time to gather information it actually makes sense - I'm still on the fence about whether I agree - but it makes sense. The Eagles invested a pile of money into Wentz - they don't want to invest a pile of money on a veteran back up (you can also read this as they think Sudfeld has maxed out). The only way to get good young talent cheap is to draft it - they tried a late round QB last year (Thorson) and he didn't make it out of camp. The only way this is a bad pick is if Hurts isn't a good player - but that would be true of any player. If Hurts gives the Eagles 3 years of reliable insurance to Wentz and then they trade him for a 2nd or better it's a successful pick. 

I agree. The kept trying to think of reasons why they would pick a QB in the second round and the one reason that makes sense, from a strategic point of view, is that they want to have a low cost backup QB with enough potential to take over in event of injury. It will take some time get him educated but they can avoid the expense of a veteran backup. Spend the money on other positions.  FWIW.

On 4/28/2020 at 7:48 PM, jsdarkstar said:

QB isn't the only player they drafted.

Understood. Each of the first three picks appear relative stretches, where they were chosen. 4th through 7th seemed to be relative bargains.  All in all, I am not comfortable with the talent choices, but time will tell.

On 4/30/2020 at 1:33 AM, McMahonHeadband said:

Not nothing. A large opportunity cost

1 hour ago, ToastJenkins said:

Not nothing. A large opportunity cost

Exactly. Picks in those first three rounds are expected to step in and if not start, get significant field time as a rotational player. To draft a guy that will hold a clipboard until his rookie deal expires with a second rounder boggles the mind. 

And if the plan is to trade him in a year or two, you’re getting at best a second rounder for him.....which is just going in circles at that point anyways. So it really doesn’t make any sense from any angle. 

On 4/29/2020 at 4:41 PM, Jsvand12 said:

My issue is that I think there is zero chance Hurts will be willing to stand there with a clipboard for 4 years. He’ll want to be a starter and can force a trade. Even if they manage to flip him for a pick in the future I can’t imagine that pick will be all that much higher then the 53rd pick that was used to draft him.

The more I read this the more ridiculous it became. The only way Jalen Hurts tries to force a trade is if he manages to prove himself capable of being a starter in the league and it's perceived that the Eagles are holding him back and then only maybe because truthfully he will do much better in FA as a player who was a leader in the locker room instead of a disruption. If he tries to force a trade without any evidence that he is capable of being a starter then he's just a locker room disruption and no team will trade for that alone. 

AND, all evidence is that Jalen Hurts is a fantastic leader, team mate etc. 

The chance that Hurts can be an asset for a trade is when he gets some PT and shows that he can be a QB in NFL.  For that to happen means Wentz misses significant time due to injury, which is not good.  However, it would be unlikely to get something more than his draft position back in a trade.  This team knows the value of a capable 2nd QB, more so than any other teams in the league.  Perhaps this was the reason they drafted Hurts, not so much for trade value (not a high reward situation) but to come in to win games when called upon.

For trade value, they should have drafted someone in lower rounds and coach him up, then wait for some teams come calling.

He still has beat out Nate Sudfeld, and without mini camp and OTA's, likely he is QB#3.

Every time I look at the Eagles draft selections this year and see Shaun Bradley in the 6th I think of this ...

Shawn Bradley Stock Pictures, Royalty-free Photos & Images - Getty ...

On 4/30/2020 at 4:34 PM, Jsvand12 said:

Not more valuable than having a starting player on the field with that pick.

Nothing new for the Eagles though. JJAW, Sidney Jones, and Goedert are just a few of the non starters to go with that pick along with Hurts. Hurts will probably start as their third quarterback. 

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Nothing new for the Eagles though. JJAW, Sidney Jones, and Goedert are just a few of the non starters to go with that pick along with Hurts. Hurts will probably start as their third quarterback. 

Wouldn't we consider Goedert a starter? I would. 

On 5/17/2020 at 2:49 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

so would I, i think he is at least the 6th best tight end in football.

I would be cool with the Birds moving on from Ertz next year. Actually I would prefer it.

On 5/17/2020 at 2:49 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The Eagles run a lot of 3 wide sets and when they do Goedert is off the field. Depth chart wise he’s a backup, but I think they should use more double TE sets than they do especially now with Agholor gone and so many young players at receiver.

On 5/13/2020 at 7:56 AM, AngryBird said:

Exactly. Picks in those first three rounds are expected to step in and if not start, get significant field time as a rotational player. To draft a guy that will hold a clipboard until his rookie deal expires with a second rounder boggles the mind. 

And if the plan is to trade him in a year or two, you’re getting at best a second rounder for him.....which is just going in circles at that point anyways. So it really doesn’t make any sense from any angle. 

To you, you mean.  It makes perfect sense if you want a #2 QB who can step in and win games to keep your season on track.  McCown couldn’t do it.  Sudfeld can’t do it.  Wentz misses time; that’s an unfortunate fact.  Hurts has upside that’s light years beyond what McCown and Sudfeld offer.

22 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles run a lot of 3 wide sets and when they do Goedert is off the field. Depth chart wise he’s a backup, but I think they should use more double TE sets than they do especially now with Agholor gone and so many young players at receiver.

In practical terms Goedert was a starter in 2019; he played 770 snaps on offense.  
The question is whether that was a function of necessity with Jeffery, Jackson, and Agholor all being injured.  That was at least in part the case.

Do the Eagles see enough in Goedert to either a) move on from Ertz and make him the starter at TE, or b) see enough in Goedert to continue running 12 personnel as the default offensive scheme.  The drafting of Reagor, Hightower, and Watkins (with Goodwin also brought in) could be a sign the Eagles would prefer to run more speed with multiple WR rather than multiple TE sets. 

It will be interesting to see how Goedert’s usage progresses in 2020

29 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

In practical terms Goedert was a starter in 2019; he played 770 snaps on offense.  
The question is whether that was a function of necessity with Jeffery, Jackson, and Agholor all being injured.  That was at least in part the case.

Do the Eagles see enough in Goedert to either a) move on from Ertz and make him the starter at TE, or b) see enough in Goedert to continue running 12 personnel as the default offensive scheme.  The drafting of Reagor, Hightower, and Watkins (with Goodwin also brought in) could be a sign the Eagles would prefer to run more speed with multiple WR rather than multiple TE sets. 

True, but drafting speed opens up for the TEs - so the move makes sense in that direction too.

Just now, Infam said:

True, but drafting speed opens up for the TEs - so the move makes sense in that direction too.

Yeah it really does. That extra speed should stretch things out and hopefully open things up for the TEs and the RB.

3 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

I feel like sometime in the near future the Eagles might have to make a tough choice of keeping Ertz or Goedert. I was surprised Ertz was offered and extension, but there’s a reason why he turned it down. Perhaps it was too backloaded? I don’t know, but at some point both of these players need to get paid and I don’t think Goedert getting less snaps is going will not lower his value enough for the Eagles to pay him less money on the open market. Next season will be interesting to see how often the Eagles use 12 personnel sets. The Eagles threw a lot of picks at the wide receiver position, but I don’t think we should expect everyone of those players to make the squad. Is any of the sets of three a better option than having Goedert and Ertz out there at the same time? Like you mentioned we will find out soon enough. 

Archived