Travis Fulgham

Procus

What's the prognosis for Fulgham going forward?   He had a torrid stretch in 2019, then fell off the face of the earth.  Looks like he may have gotten too full of himself and was benched by the coaches.  Now, I don't see his name as one of the receivers working out with Hurts during the offseason.

Will Fulgham make a meaningful contribution to the Eagles during 2020, or will his name just be an afterthought going forward?

5 minutes ago, Procus said:

He had a torrid stretch in 2019

Torrid stretch in what sense?

Personally I don't have high expectations for him. I think he came in, got hot and everything seemed to be looking really positive. But I think it was just a nice hot stretch for a rookie who nobody knew much about. I think he'll fight for a roster spot but I like Grimes to snag a spot.

Rumor has it he began improvising his routes hence falling out of favor.  Perhaps a new coaching staff will get the most out of him.  I have zero expectations for him other than to compete at the XWR spot.  

I think he'll be the primary X receiver. Smith in the slot, Reagor the Z. He probably comes off the field in two TE sets.

• Like 1

Think he had a decent stretch when he was the only half decent wr and an unknown.. as soon as teams got some tape of him they were able to shut him down.. hopefully he has been working hard and is ready to kick some ass.. that one month of being a top wr in the nfl should light a fire inside you.

1 hour ago, Procus said:

What's the prognosis for Fulgham going forward?   He had a torrid stretch in 2019, then fell off the face of the earth.  Looks like he may have gotten too full of himself and was benched by the coaches.  Now, I don't see his name as one of the receivers working out with Hurts during the offseason.

Will Fulgham make a meaningful contribution to the Eagles during 2020, or will his name just be an afterthought going forward?

There were various reports about his attitude, not sure how accurate it was. Also, defenses recognized that he is not the quickest most explosive person, so they began to put bigger corners on him to take away his physicality. That limited his ability to get leverage since he wasn't able to create separation. Seeing as defenses figured him out a bit, I don't think he projects for a big year. Maybe if he can improve his route running and learn the subtle things about creating a window can help him be average. The team really has no other X options than him or JJAW.

• Thanks 1

Didn't it come out that he was injured around the time he lack of production started but he was playing through it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Procus said:

What makes you say that?  More likely opposing defenses started game planning for him after he had the hot streak.  He emerged out of nowhere.

And I assume you mean 2020 and 2021 because he played for Detroit in 2019.

55 minutes ago, kentwo said:

There were various reports about his attitude, not sure how accurate it was. Also, defenses recognized that he is not the quickest most explosive person, so they began to put bigger corners on him to take away his physicality. That limited his ability to get leverage since he wasn't able to create separation. Seeing as defenses figured him out a bit, I don't think he projects for a big year. Maybe if he can improve his route running and learn the subtle things about creating a window can help him be average. The team really has no other X options than him or JJAW.

Link?

• Like 2

I'm a Fulgham believer.  I think he was shafted last season when Alshon came back.  If he is given an honest shot and this team doesn't value JJAW over him simply because they wasted a 2nd round lick on him then I think Fulgham plays a significant role in our offense. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cheesteakitis said:

Think he had a decent stretch when he was the only half decent wr and an unknown.. as soon as teams got some tape of him they were able to shut him down.. hopefully he has been working hard and is ready to kick some ass.. that one month of being a top wr in the nfl should light a fire inside you.

Stick Reagor in the slot if anything. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ggs5008 said:

Didn't it come out that he was injured around the time he lack of production started but he was playing through it?

Injury with our staff... highly likely yes.

30 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

What makes you say that?  More likely opposing defenses started game planning for him after he had the hot streak.  He emerged out of nowhere.

And I assume you mean 2020 and 2021 because he played for Detroit in 2019.

Link?

I listen to a lot of podcasts. Mostly EEITS and ITB but a couple others. They discussed it during his slump. It was in regard to his practice habits and attitude towards route running. Not sure the exact episodes but was after the giants game. So sometime after that episode it came up. 

54 minutes ago, ggs5008 said:

Yes, it did. Also, that was exactly when the Eagles inexplicably inserted Alshon back into the line up.

I have no idea how well he’ll do going forward, but Fulgham is a talented player. That stretch wasn’t a fluke.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Rumor has it he began improvising his routes hence falling out of favor.  Perhaps a new coaching staff will get the most out of him.  I have zero expectations for him other than to compete at the XWR spot.  

According to Jason Avant, the new coaching staff will allow the receivers to do more of that.

29 minutes ago, vaff said:

According to Jason Avant, the new coaching staff will allow the receivers to do more of that.

Interesting.  I could see if a play breaks down but you'd think that would make it harder on the QB to throw with anticipation.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kentwo said:

I listen to a lot of podcasts. Mostly EEITS and ITB but a couple others. They discussed it during his slump. It was in regard to his practice habits and attitude towards route running. Not sure the exact episodes but was after the giants game. So sometime after that episode it came up. 

Thanks - I hadn't heard that. 

5 hours ago, Procus said:

Now, I don't see his name as one of the receivers working out with Hurts during the offseason.

I am pretty sure he is recovering from surgery.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Personally I don't have high expectations for him. I think he came in, got hot and everything seemed to be looking really positive. But I think it was just a nice hot stretch for a rookie who nobody knew much about. I think he'll fight for a roster spot but I like Grimes to snag a spot.

He wasn't a rookie. He was drafted in 2019 and the eagles was his 3rd team in 2 years and he will be 26 years old in September. 

He showed he can get open and catch the ball in the NFL.  I think he fell off because Alshon came back and he sulked at the lost time when he thought he should be playing.  I heard that carried over into practice so he got in the dog house.  I think he has a chance IF:

1. He practices hard and plays hard 100% of the time.
  2. Continues to do #1 even if he doesn't get the reps he thinks he deserves.

I fully expect the combination of Sirianni and his WR experience + Devonta Smith's work ethic is going to force heavy competition and the bar will go up.  If Fulgram doesn't rise to it he will get cut.  Let the best 5-6 players win.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Not a rookie bro. 2 year in the league.

He had 4 games that were out of this world. Not sure if was a fluke? Maybe he tried harder in practice to get noticed, then let it slip once he was starting? I'm going with fluke.

• Like 1

It still cracks me up to read all the "reasons" people come up with. Acting like other NFL teams didn't prepare for Fulgham following the 49er game is comical. Since most of our other key offensive weapons were hurt and this former PS player basically won his first start for us, other teams just took the week off in preparing for the Eagles ... yeah ... that must be it ...

For 5 straight games he was the most productive WR in the NFL. During that stretch, we got 3 of our 4 wins on the season. Why did his snap count plummet when Jeffery became available? Ask the coaching staff that got fired ... the coaching staff that kept playing Gerry over Singleton until Gerry got hurt ... the coaching staff that insisted on starting Peters at LT over Mailata when it was clear he couldn't do the job ... the coaching staff that started Peters at RG over Herbig after the LT fiasco ... the coaching staff that turned the Wentz benching into a "replacing" by never giving him a chance to "learn from the so-called coachable moment" and get back out there and do what he did the previous year in December to get our team into the playoffs. 

Fulgham was not the only head scratcher. Did I mention that was the previous coaching staff?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Not a rookie bro. 2 year in the league.

He had 4 games that were out of this world. Not sure if was a fluke? Maybe he tried harder in practice to get noticed, then let it slip once he was starting? I'm going with fluke.

Ok apologies, he wasn't a rookie but he was an unknown entity.

I think it was a fluke. Ultimately he was a UDFA who's bounced with the league with a couple of teams. The chances that he's even a competent starter are slim and so I think it was a fluke. 

I'm going to believe that he isn't a fluke and will show it on the field, until proven otherwise. Last year was a shitshow from Doug and Howie, but Filghum did some really good things.  With Reagor and Smith, the rest of the group should be fine....if we can consistently deliver the ball to them.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The chances that he's even a competent starter are slim and so I think it was a fluke. 

Watch ... the ... film ... 

A fluke doesn't just do those things he did. He was a young player given a chance and he shined. The team decided they wanted Jeffery to play, either to justify never putting him on IR or PUP or to show the team you don't lose your job because of an injury. It was the wrong decision and Jason Avant stated as much.

• Like 6