Travis Fulgham

Procus

On 5/6/2021 at 3:51 PM, RememberTheKoy said:

I'm a Fulgham believer.  I think he was shafted last season when Alshon came back.  If he is given an honest shot and this team doesn't value JJAW over him simply because they wasted a 2nd round lick on him then I think Fulgham plays a significant role in our offense. 

Listening to an episode of the Players Lounge and Brandon Graham was just glowing about Fulgham and his practice performances especially during the run he had. What I didn’t hear during that time was how impressed anyone was in JJAW. The fact Fulgham leaped over JJAW the way he did says a lot about what this team truly thinks about their former 2nd round pick. I think a combination of Fulgham getting less snaps combined with him falling back to Earth a little makes him a bit of a question moving forward. In any case JJAW could learn a lesson or two from Fulgham. 

On 5/6/2021 at 1:12 PM, RastaPasta said:

I think he'll be the primary X receiver. Smith in the slot, Reagor the Z. He probably comes off the field in two TE sets.

Smith will get killed in the slot. Is that where he played in college or was he more of a X-Z receiver?

On 5/7/2021 at 7:06 AM, brkmsn said:

Watch ... the ... film ... 

A fluke doesn't just do those things he did. He was a young player given a chance and he shined. The team decided they wanted Jeffery to play, either to justify never putting him on IR or PUP or to show the team you don't lose your job because of an injury. It was the wrong decision and Jason Avant stated as much.

He won me over as the season went along. I believe the guy has talent.

A younger, more innovative coaching staff is just what a guy like him needs IMO.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Madriver said:

He won me over as the season went along. I believe the guy has talent.

A younger, more innovative coaching staff is just what a guy like him needs IMO.

Do we actually have that? Honestly I don’t know. All I do know is he was one of the last people interviewed by the Eagles and I don’t think he was interviewed by anyone else. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Do we actually have that? Honestly I don’t know. All I do know is he was one of the last people interviewed by the Eagles and I don’t think he was interviewed by anyone else. 

I get what you are saying but, just because he was the last and not interviewed by anyone else does not mean a damn thing on his coaching ability. 

If we got the hottest coach on the market we would of ended up with guys like Adam Gase instead of Pederson and Gase was an absolute train wreck. 

• Like 4

On 5/7/2021 at 8:06 AM, brkmsn said:

Watch ... the ... film ... 

A fluke doesn't just do those things he did. He was a young player given a chance and he shined. The team decided they wanted Jeffery to play, either to justify never putting him on IR or PUP or to show the team you don't lose your job because of an injury. It was the wrong decision and Jason Avant stated as much.

Lots of players have stretches of greatness and never amount to anything. Not saying Fulgham won't play great again but, there is a bigger chance he ends up not being anything. Are greater then him becoming what that stretch run he had 

• Like 1

He did well at first, then injured an ankle (which required offseason surgery) & didn't react professionally to Alshon displacing him upon return.

Maturity is needed throughout the room according to ITB-but the talent is there.  X marks his spot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I guess you could say the same about Reid and Pedersen. They did ok here. Sometimes an under-the-radar hire is good...fresh eyes, unhampered outlook.

• Like 1

Let's see how he goes without having to give up his snaps to Alshon.

5 hours ago, Madriver said:

I guess you could say the same about Reid and Pedersen. They did ok here. Sometimes an under-the-radar hire is good...fresh eyes, unhampered outlook.

Funny cause most people in Philly wouldn’t call Reid or Doug all that innovative offensively though. Im not trying to rag on Sirianni. I think he should get the benefit of the doubt, but I’m not ready to anoint him anything right now. I just don’t know what he is. 

6 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I get what you are saying but, just because he was the last and not interviewed by anyone else does not mean a damn thing on his coaching ability. 

If we got the hottest coach on the market we would of ended up with guys like Adam Gase instead of Pederson and Gase was an absolute train wreck. 

I’m only stating that teams knew guys like Sean Payton, Kyle Shannahan, Sean McVay, and heck I’ll even throw McDaniels in there as hot shot innovative OC guys. I don’t recall anyone saying anything like that about Sirianni. I’m not saying he’s gonna fail, but we really don’t know what he is yet. Heck we don’t even really know what kind of offense he plans to run yet. 

2 hours ago, The HumblePenguin said:

Fulgham in 5 games with Alshons return had 186 snaps to Alshons 94. Hell one of those games was one of Fulghams highest snap counts with Alshon back. 

Fulgham in those 5 games had 16 targets to Alshons 8. 

Fulgham had 32 yards in those 5 games .... Maybe people think Alshon got more snaps because Fulgham completely disappeared then got hurt. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Fulgham in 5 games with Alshons return had 186 snaps to Alshons 94. Hell one of those games was one of Fulghams highest snap counts with Alshon back. 

Fulgham in those 5 games had 16 targets to Alshons 8. 

Fulgham had 32 yards in those 5 games .... Maybe people think Alshon got more snaps because Fulgham completely disappeared then got hurt. 

Yeah agreed. I think Alshon did impact on Fulgham but this notion that he did so to the extent some suggest isn't correct. 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2021 at 5:49 AM, brkmsn said:

It still cracks me up to read all the "reasons" people come up with. Acting like other NFL teams didn't prepare for Fulgham following the 49er game is comical. Since most of our other key offensive weapons were hurt and this former PS player basically won his first start for us, other teams just took the week off in preparing for the Eagles ... yeah ... that must be it ...

For 5 straight games he was the most productive WR in the NFL. During that stretch, we got 3 of our 4 wins on the season. Why did his snap count plummet when Jeffery became available? Ask the coaching staff that got fired ... the coaching staff that kept playing Gerry over Singleton until Gerry got hurt ... the coaching staff that insisted on starting Peters at LT over Mailata when it was clear he couldn't do the job ... the coaching staff that started Peters at RG over Herbig after the LT fiasco ... the coaching staff that turned the Wentz benching into a "replacing" by never giving him a chance to "learn from the so-called coachable moment" and get back out there and do what he did the previous year in December to get our team into the playoffs. 

Fulgham was not the only head scratcher. Did I mention that was the previous coaching staff?

It didn't Jeffery's first 2 games back he played 27% and 7% of snaps to Fulgham's 88% and 96%, with those snap counts Fulgham caught 1 of 5 targets and 1 of 7 targets for 8 yards a game, it was after laying those eggs Jeffery split snaps (52-48% in Fulghams favour) the next game and Fulgham put up 16 yards off two catches and looked OK but that was the only game he looked OK, you can look up the target numbers yourself he had 3 games where he was getting open and getting double digit targets a game, then he had one last game over 50 yards against a dreadful Dallarse secondary and after that he didn't break 5 targets or 30 yards the rest of the season.

You try and float this in every Fulgham thread everyone makes and blaming Jeffery is a classic case of confirmation bias, you think Jeffery sucks so he must be the cause, but the fact is Fulgham failed all on his own, which is why I expect him to be on the roster bubble this year because when it comes down to it Ward has more reliable hands when you need a short yardage catch to move the chains.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Funny cause most people in Philly wouldn’t call Reid or Doug all that innovative offensively though. Im not trying to rag on Sirianni. I think he should get the benefit of the doubt, but I’m not ready to anoint him anything right now. I just don’t know what he is. 

I'll be the one who says it out loud:  I had never heard of the dude until he was named head coach of the Eagles.  Still have no sense of him because he's under the radar and the few times he's done interviews he's bombed so...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The HumblePenguin said:

People don’t want to admit it, but Fulgham began to have a lot of dropped passes near the end of the season too. It wasn’t just Jeffery that was the problem, because Fulgham fell off too. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

People don’t want to admit it, but Fulgham began to have a lot of dropped passes near the end of the season too. It wasn’t just Jeffery that was the problem, because Fulgham fell off too. 

Absolutely. Did Alshon eat in to some of the snaps? Yeah probably. But fulgham didn't take his chances and that's why I'm not expecting much going in to this year. I hope he proves me wrong. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Madriver said:

Smith will get killed in the slot. Is that where he played in college or was he more of a X-Z receiver?

7 hours ago, RastaPasta said:

Lance Zierlein said this: 

• Equally effective outside or from the slot.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/devonta-smith/3200534d-4920-6016-573c-fcc767bafc4d

I actually think Smith will be our primary X receiver unless Fulgham shows a lot in camp/pre-season.

He's tiny, but he killed press coverage in college. He was just really good at avoiding contact and if a corner misses jamming him, they are in major trouble.

They will move him around a bit as well, but I think he can definitely play the X despite his size.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I actually think Smith will be our primary X receiver unless Fulgham shows a lot in camp/pre-season.

He's tiny, but he killed press coverage in college. He was just really good at avoiding contact and if a corner misses jamming him, they are in major trouble.

They will move him around a bit as well, but I think he can definitely play the X despite his size.

That definitely could be. I honestly think he could play any WR position, so it will be interesting to see exactly where he lines up the most, but yeah I would expect him to move around.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Lots of players have stretches of greatness and never amount to anything. Not saying Fulgham won't play great again but, there is a bigger chance he ends up not being anything. Are greater then him becoming what that stretch run he had 

IMO, there's a difference between having a stretch where everything goes your way and one where you did everything well and succeeded. Fulgham's stretch, to me, was the latter. He was playing top-notch football and it wasn't just padded by 1 or 2 huge plays. I guess you can go back to that 2-game stretch a few years ago that Bryce Brown had and ask if Fulgham's success was similar. I would argue that it wasn't. 

13 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It didn't Jeffery's first 2 games back he played 27% and 7% of snaps to Fulgham's 88% and 96%, with those snap counts Fulgham caught 1 of 5 targets and 1 of 7 targets for 8 yards a game, it was after laying those eggs Jeffery split snaps (52-48% in Fulghams favour) the next game and Fulgham put up 16 yards off two catches and looked OK but that was the only game he looked OK, you can look up the target numbers yourself he had 3 games where he was getting open and getting double digit targets a game, then he had one last game over 50 yards against a dreadful Dallarse secondary and after that he didn't break 5 targets or 30 yards the rest of the season.

You try and float this in every Fulgham thread everyone makes and blaming Jeffery is a classic case of confirmation bias, you think Jeffery sucks so he must be the cause, but the fact is Fulgham failed all on his own, which is why I expect him to be on the roster bubble this year because when it comes down to it Ward has more reliable hands when you need a short yardage catch to move the chains.

Sometimes you offer very good arguments and I enjoy reading what you say even when we disagree. However, you clearly didn't read my opinions on Jeffery (especially prior to Fulgham's stint on the active roster) because the bold statement is false. I think Jeffery is a good WR. I even thought (expected)  he might have been better (upon his return) than many of our remaining WRs. However, I did not think he would play better than Fulgham did (up to that point) and argued against taking Fulgham off the field. I am aware of the two poor outings Fulgham had following his 1st 5. People will say I'm just making excuses, so I try not to bring those into the discussion, but if you asked me what the biggest factors were for his decline, I'll list them:

Week 8: Reagor and Goedert return from injuries

Week 9: Bye

Week 10: Miles Sanders returns from injury

Week 11: Bad weather affected an already poor Eagles passing game

Now, I'm not going to argue that Fulgham played great in weeks 10 or 11. He didn't . But to suggest that catching 1 of 5 targets = dropping 4 (I know this isn't what you said, but it's sort of implied) or something is extremely inaccurate. Some passes aren't catchable even if you're the target. Sometimes the defender is in the position to make the play. Honestly, I wish those guys that make videos we can post would put more stuff (even the bad) out there so we can reference them in a debate like this. 

After those 2 games, his snap counts steadily declined and Jeffery's increased. I don't think Fulgham was handled properly (neither does Avant who was part of the staff). You have to give a guy a chance to bounce back. Players are going to have off games and young players need to learn from those. 

My point has been that the Eagles were trying to re-involve the returning players. First it was Reagor and Goedert, then it was Sanders and Jeffery. When all those guys were gone, Fulgham played just fine as basically the only play-making weapon. All of Wentz' crutches were out and he had to trust what was out there. As they returned, Wentz was not always making the proper reads. I'm not sure if he was trying to force things to his favorite targets (and yes, Jeffery has always been one of his favorite targets) or just panicking under the pressure of needing to play better. The QB play needed to be better in general almost all year. I'm fine with blaming Fulgham for his play in weeks 10-11 and the pitiful drop he had vs the saints. I just don't believe we handled the situation at X properly in the 2nd half of the season. 

I was very hopeful Jeffery was going to play well at some point last season. But even when he finally made it to the field, he didn't look very quick out there. He didn't seem like anything close to the 2017 or 2018 version. He was blessed with some very forgiving officials that didn't seem to want to call him for clear OPI, for whatever reason, but aside from a couple flags he drew from defenders, he had almost the same impact per snap as JJAW in 2020. Fulgham should have been out there --- especially when we knew we'd be cutting ties with Jeffery no matter what.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I truly hope Fulgham kills it next season, but there’s a reason why this guy was a late round pick and subsequently picked up off the practice squad. 

On 5/9/2021 at 8:39 PM, Greenakers2 said:

He did well at first, then injured an ankle (which required offseason surgery) & didn't react professionally to Alshon displacing him upon return.

Maturity is needed throughout the room according to ITB-but the talent is there.  X marks his spot.

This. He has the potential, I am hoping for a good year. 

23 hours ago, RastaPasta said:

That definitely could be. I honestly think he could play any WR position, so it will be interesting to see exactly where he lines up the most, but yeah I would expect him to move around.

I think a lot depends on Fulgham. People use Jeffery as an excuse, but he was playing close to 100% of snaps when AJ came back. He definitely struggled after that torrid stretch. I have no idea what he will do this year.

If he looks good and earns a lot of playing time, then he will play mostly X. Smith in my view can play all 3 positions, so I expect him to play 80% of snaps, covering all three positions. Ward will play predominately slot and Reagor predominately Z.

If Fulgham struggles, then I expect Smith to be our primary X receiver. But we can mix in Fulgham and even Ertz at times so we get to move Smith around. Ward and Reagor will start at slot and Z and hopefully Watkins pushes for playing time.

Come what may I truly think Smith will be a stud from the off and I hope I'm right!

• Like 2