Another viewpoint on Howie

Rob331

11 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’ve taken my fair share of shots at Howie, but I have to say so far so good this season. Multiple rookies contributing in a game is a big win. It’s something we haven’t seen enough of. Howie’s 2021 has been very solid so far.

Selmou has quietly become one of our best lineman too. 

There was a lot of good things yesterday. 

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

My gosh some of those hole between him and Mialata were just huge. A lot of Howie’s picks played well on Sunday.

I'm in wait and see mode on Howie for this year. Been a harsh critic of his the past couple years, but going by yesterday he may have bought himself a return to favor...at least, imho.

10 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Seumalo?  

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Seumalo?  

I spelled it wrong every chance I got cause I was to lazy to look at the correct spelling. Lol he's still pretty good tho

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I spelled it wrong every chance I got cause I was to lazy to look at the correct spelling. Lol he's still pretty good tho

I understood you. 😂🤣😂

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I understood you. 😂🤣😂

Like I told you last night this autocorrect has gone off the rails I have to go back and correct almost every single word it's frustrating. I'm going to turn it off soon or chuck it out the effing window lol.  Do you know how many times I would have had to respell Isaacs last name to get it to go through? It's BS!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Like I told you last night this autocorrect has gone off the rails I have to go back and correct almost every single word it's frustrating. I'm going to turn it off soon or chuck it out the effing window lol.  Do you know how many times I would have had to respell Isaacs last name to get it to go through? It's BS!

My iPad does it too. It’s all good. Let the grammar police have their fun. 😂🤣😂

1 hour ago, flyerdog said:

right, but in terms of actual talent that they pick...This is why they need to do better drafting on the defensive side...

They don't seem to invest as much draft capital in defense.  IIRC, the last #1 pick used on the defensive side was for Derek Barnett.  From where I'm sitting, 2017 alone makes that pick a success with his strip sack against Minn. and recovering that fumble at the end of SB.  That fumble could have easily gone to NE if he didn't snatch it cleanly out of the air on the bounce.

1 hour ago, Procus said:

They don't seem to invest as much draft capital in defense.  IIRC, the last #1 pick used on the defensive side was for Derek Barnett.  From where I'm sitting, 2017 alone makes that pick a success with his strip sack against Minn. and recovering that fumble at the end of SB.  That fumble could have easily gone to NE if he didn't snatch it cleanly out of the air on the bounce.

true...that essentially sealed the game..but it was Graham that jarred the ball loose

since 2010 they have drafted 51 players on defense...the standouts being Cox, Barnett, and Curry...and some other notables like Jordan Hicks and Mychal Kendricks..but the rest are either out of the league or role players on other teams.....but again I think a lot of it has to do with their draft process....how many players on defense have we drafted that were "Projects", "high motor", "tremendous upside", or even "a bit of a reach"..we seem to hear this a lot with their defensive picks...

1 hour ago, Procus said:

Barnett is a decent player.  But the rest of the 2017 draft was a disaster, no one is left from it.  They haven't drafted a truly good player in the secondary in almost 20 years.  They are historically bad at drafting LBs.  The best defensive players they've had are Cox (Reid draft pick) and free agents they've had to sign or guys they traded for because they're so bad at drafting defense.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Barnett is a decent player.  But the rest of the 2017 draft was a disaster, no one is left from it.  They haven't drafted a truly good player in the secondary in almost 20 years.  They are historically bad at drafting LBs.  The best defensive players they've had are Cox (Reid draft pick) and free agents they've had to sign or guys they traded for because they're so bad at drafting defense.

Seems to me they are hiring great defensive coordinators or on the rise defensive coordinators to mask the lack of quality picks and unwillingness to put the resources into defense other then projects

23 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Seems to me they are hiring great defensive coordinators or on the rise defensive coordinators to mask the lack of quality picks and unwillingness to put the resources into defense other then projects

Lurie emphasizes offense too so it may be what he wants.  It's true that it's an offense driven league, but you still need some talent on defense.  They have relied on free agency and trades for that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Well except for Barnett, did we even draft a player the first two days in the draft recently?

Williams this year, and he looks good so far (despite all the drama)..

If you only draft defense on day three, projects is what you get..

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Draft offense, sign vets to the defense is obviously the plan. 

I don’t mind..

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

What's sick is if the line stays healthy and Dickerson is activated, can you imagine the max protect line with Dickerson added as an extra blocker instead of a TE.

4 minutes ago, Procus said:

What's sick is if the line stays healthy and Dickerson is activated, can you imagine the max protect line with Dickerson added as an extra blocker instead of a TE.

Any chance we can let the kid dress before we anoint him?

32 minutes ago, Infam said:

Well except for Barnett, did we even draft a player the first two days in the draft recently?

Williams this year, and he looks good so far (despite all the drama)..

If you only draft defense on day three, projects is what you get..

In the same Barnett draft - 2017 - they drafted injured soft project Sydney Jones in the 2nd, and Rasul Douglas in the 3rd.  The only other pick was last year, 3rd round, Davion Taylor.

You'd have to go back to the draft Chip Kelly ran in 2015 for defensive picks:  2nd round Eric Rowe corner, 3rd round Jordan Hicks LB

It seems Lurie and Howie prefer offense high, defense middle and projects/linemen late.  And just sign FA or trade for proven defensive players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

In the same Barnett draft - 2017 - they drafted injured soft project Sydney Jones in the 2nd, and Rasul Douglas in the 3rd.  The only other pick was last year, 3rd round, Davion Taylor.

You'd have to go back to the draft Chip Kelly ran in 2015 for defensive picks:  2nd round Eric Rowe corner, 3rd round Jordan Hicks LB

It seems Lurie and Howie prefer offense high, defense middle and projects/linemen late.  And just sign FA or trade for proven defensive players.

Oh god sure, Sidney Jones. I hated this pick so much my mind doesn’t allow me to think of him. 😅

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I haven't used anything from Apple but could you add names and words that are most problematic to the dictionary? I've had to do that with some words that are industry specific.

21 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

I haven't used anything from Apple but could you add names and words that are most problematic to the dictionary? I've had to do that with some words that are industry specific.

I'm using the Google Pixel 5 it used to be pretty intuitive too the words I used but, now it just changes anything. It's diving me nuts! It changes *there* and *their* all the time. Like simple everyday words. It's been since my last update and the pixel gets the updates first from Android since most Android phones are run by chrome os. 

Even before I would put one wrong letter in a word and it would change it to the word that makes the most sense to what I was trying to spell and now it's not even doing that it changes it to the most random sheet ever. 

16 hours ago, NOTW said:

Lurie emphasizes offense too so it may be what he wants.  It's true that it's an offense driven league, but you still need some talent on defense.  They have relied on free agency and trades for that.

yes..and it's not JUST talent or football skill..remember the impact Dawkins or Trotter, or Troy Vincent had on the defenses they played with...their personality and leadership also boosted the play around them...kept everything under control..maybe guys like Trent Cole and Derrick Burgess made them think that, no matter what, they could find steals in later rounds in every draft...

I know they always say that they draft "value" regardless of position..but there ARE times when a low hanging fruit is there for the taking...yet they don't reach for that fruit...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyerdog said:

yes..and it's not JUST talent or football skill..remember the impact Dawkins or Trotter, or Troy Vincent had on the defenses they played with...their personality and leadership also boosted the play around them...kept everything under control..maybe guys like Trent Cole and Derrick Burgess made them think that, no matter what, they could find steals in later rounds in every draft...

I know they always say that they draft "value" regardless of position..but there ARE times when a low hanging fruit is there for the taking...yet they don't reach for that fruit...

Think about the leaders on defense.  Graham and Cox, Reid picks from before Howie was doing the drafting.  The other recent leader was Malcolm Jenkins a free agent.  When BG and Cox are gone they're left with...?

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Think about the leaders on defense.  Graham and Cox, Reid picks from before Howie was doing the drafting.  The other recent leader was Malcolm Jenkins a free agent.  When BG and Cox are gone they're left with...?

They need an alpha linebacker... because even the bench options for 'defensive leader' are older (Mcleod, Slay). If k'von was a better player he could be the guy, he has that mentality.