Ryan Kerrigan Signs With Eagles

pgcd3

11 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The only numbers I can find for Johnson is cutting him after June 1st saves us $150k for 2022 but moves $13million dollars dead cap back to 2023 meaning he's cost $28million dollars to not play for us for 2 years.

Cox would involve eating $13million dollars of dead money either all next year or over 2, the savings would be substantial but unless he drops off significantly so would be the hole in our defensive line and locker room.

Kelce's current contract is basically designed for the Eagles to release him as a June 1st cut next year and avoid all his dummy years guaranteed signing bonus being payable next year, if I had money, that's what I'd bet on.

You know, this stuff about the cap isn't just moaning, we are mathematically by far the worst team in the league for having money tied up in future void years and we rank second in the NFL for cap money spent on pro rated bonuses beyond this year, which suggests someone is worse but the kicker is we don't currently have a big money Vet QB on the books, the financial side of the roster management is not well done and people on here and beyond were pointing out it was a time bomb waiting to go off before the pandemic hit, the pandemic merely blew Howie's bomb up early, Howie designed and planted the bomb all by himself, the reckoning was always coming.

Sorry with Johnson you have to trade him post June 1st to save 7 million. It’s not even a move we have to make. It is just moaning. You cut or trade all those aging players next year and the cap situations in 2023, 2024, and 2025 are in good shape with money to still spend in 2022. 

They'll sign whoever they want next year. It's just not an issue.  They'll move money from 2022 to the bigger year in 2023.  There wasn't even some major consequence this year. Maybe they missed out on signing one player, maybe two as a result of the biggest dead cap hit in history..

8 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

They'll sign whoever they want next year. It's just not an issue.  They'll move money from 2022 to the bigger year in 2023.  There wasn't even some major consequence this year. Maybe they missed out on signing one player, maybe two as a result of the biggest dead cap hit in history..

By cutting these players in 2022 we save in 2023 this money: 

Cox: $5 million

Johnson: $7 million after the dead money

Brooks: $18 million

Slay: $23 million

Kelce (retire): $9 million

Next year looks tight now but with these moves after this years rookies sign we will have over 25 million in cap space.

It’s definitely not an issue. All it ever has been is just moaning. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

Next year looks tight now but with these moves after this years rookies sign we will have over 25 million in cap space.

So next year if they sign a big ticket guy they'd structure it so the money for 2022 was low and the bulk hit after.  Everyone would call Howie a genius but that's what every team has done. Howie's problem has been bad draft picks.  He's neither a cap genius or fool. The cap is table stakes for the most part

56 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

It's not that I don't think it can be done, but do you think they'd be willing to take on another $33.3M dead cap hit by cutting 2 players a year after taking a $33.8M dead cap hit?  

5 minutes ago, time2rock said:

It's not that I don't think it can be done, but do you think they'd be willing to take on another $33.3M dead cap hit by cutting 2 players a year after taking a $33.8M dead cap hit?  

No, I don't think they'll need to do anything that extreme.  But honestly I don't expect huge free agent signings next year regardless unless it's a Byron Jones type who's still in 20s at a position of need

I am happy, since it is one year, if it will not work, he will be gone...I think the Eagles only gain here

6 minutes ago, Vlad67 said:

I am happy, since it is one year, if it will not work, he will be gone...I think the Eagles only gain here

The downside is a Casey Toolhill type situation where you lose a guy because of a roster spot.  Usually those are much ado about nothing but still it's a possible risk

7 hours ago, Infam said:

Oh noes that would be a problem...

... if the Eagles were not allowed to push cap next year to 2023 again.

Total non-issue like I said all along.

Please explain what cap $$ we are going to push to 2022 ??

2 hours ago, MillerTime said:

If you cut Johnson before June 1 next year, his cap hit goes from 14 million to 28 million.

If you cut Kelce before June 1 next year, his cap hit goes from 6 million to 13.5 million.

Eagles are already up against the 2022 cap, they are not going to add 21 million more in dead cap to cut these two guys.

Your narrow view of the situation is comical at best.

12 minutes ago, downundermike said:

If you cut Johnson before June 1 next year, his cap hit goes from 14 million to 28 million.

If you cut Kelce before June 1 next year, his cap hit goes from 6 million to 13.5 million.

Eagles are already up against the 2022 cap, they are not going to add 21 million more in dead cap to cut these two guys.

Your narrow view of the situation is comical at best.

I never said for them to cut Kelce or Johnson before June 1st. That is 2023 savings if Kelce RETIRES and they cut Johnson after June 1st. (Even with the dead money btw)

They money in 2022 is already spent. They are gonna take those cap hits to save the money I said above in 2023 (plus they save some in 2022) and get rid of aging players.

You also said they wouldn’t take the cap hit for Carson Wentz and I saw you were proven wrong about rookie contracts the other day. Ultimately we will see who is right but right now you are either making up what I said to look better or your reading comprehension is garbage.

5 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

I never said for them to cut Kelce or Johnson before June 1st. That is 2023 savings if Kelce RETIRES and they cut Johnson after June 1st. (Even with the dead money btw.)

They money in 2022 is already spent. They are gonna take those cap hits to save the money I said above in 2023 (plus they save some in 2022) and get rid of aging players.

You also said they wouldn’t take the cap hit for Carson Wentz and I saw you were proven wrong about rookie contracts the other day. Ultimately we will see who is right but right now you are either making up what I said to look better or your reading comprehension is garbage.

I owned that one, we all make mistakes.  Does not change the fact.

Eagles currently have 16.6 million in 2022 cap space, once  you add the rookie contracts from this year, totaling 13 million, the Eagles would have 3.6 million in cap space with only 50 players under contract.  

Once you add the rookie contracts to 2023, the Eagles currently have 77 million in cap space with only 31 players under contract.

You guys see these cap numbers and think we can go crazy, without analyzing how the current team, rookie contracts, void years all apply to that.

We already lost 40 million in 2022 cap space with all the restructuring.

Meh, I think the cap problems were over exaggerated who did we lose or couldn't add that was so devastating this season? I'm going back to my original thoughts on the cap, who cares. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I owned that one, we all make mistakes.  Does not change the fact.

Eagles currently have 16.6 million in 2022 cap space, once  you add the rookie contracts from this year, totaling 13 million, the Eagles would have 3.6 million in cap space with only 50 players under contract.  

Once you add the rookie contracts to 2023, the Eagles currently have 77 million in cap space with only 31 players under contract.

You guys see these cap numbers and think we can go crazy, without analyzing how the current team, rookie contracts, void years all apply to that.

We already lost 40 million in 2022 cap space with all the restructuring.

I looked at all of that. They are gonna cut/trade Cox, Slay, Brooks and take the cap hits. All 3 will save Cap towards 2022.

Cox saves up 10 million, Slay saves us 4 million, Brooks saves us 4 million. That’s all with cap hits but the savings in 2023 is worth it. Assuming Ertz is off the board and Kelce retires we will have over 25 million in 2022 with the rookie contracts and void years.

you sign 5 guys and add the rookies next year and we fill the team back out.

We also save another 54 million more towards the cap in 2023 with these moves.

This is all without doing anything with Johnson but I assume they will post june 1st 2022 cut him, save 150,000, push 14 million in dead space to 2023. His 21 million cap will go away and we save another 7 million towards 2023.

If they somehow trade Johnson post june 2022 we save 7 million towards 2022.

7 hours ago, downundermike said:

Please explain what cap $$ we are going to push to 2022 ??

I meant contract money, by restructure and dummy years. And if the cap next year is really insufficient we will make space as usual.

7 minutes ago, Infam said:

I meant contract money, by restructure and dummy years. And if the cap next year is really insufficient we will make space as usual.

We just shaved 49.2 million off the 2022 cap and 37.2 million off the 2023 cap getting compliant for 2021.  You really think it is wise to continue doing that ??

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

We just shaved 49.2 million off the 2022 cap and 37.2 million off the 2023 cap getting compliant for 2021.  You really think it is wise to continue doing that ??

Yes I do.

5 minutes ago, Infam said:

Yes I do.

I would rather have 96.4 million in cap space to spend instead of 40 million, but that's just me I guess.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

I would rather have 96.4 million in cap space to spend instead of 40 million, but that's just me I guess.

You don't get it. Outside a total catastrophic season where we have Covid and get rid of our starting QB we have as much cap as we want, when we want it.

And that is exactly how it will be moving forward. From next year on we will spend as much as we want, as usual. All the cap concerns are just hot air. Nothing to it.

3 minutes ago, Infam said:

You don't get it. Outside a total catastrophic season where we have Covid and get rid of our starting QB we have as much cap as we want, when we want it.

And that is exactly how it will be moving forward. From next year on we will spend as much as we want, as usual. All the cap concerns are just hot air. Nothing to it.

100% false. We are already up against next years cap, and this is all due to horrible cap management by the supposed genius.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

100% false. We are already up against next years cap, and this is all due to horrible cap management by the supposed genius.

100% wrong. Our cap next year is not set in stone. It never is. If we need money we can get it, no problem at all. It's very flexible, and with soon steeply rising cap numbers, you are foolish not to use that flexibility.

3 minutes ago, Infam said:

100% wrong. Our cap next year is not set in stone. It never is. If we need money we can get it, no problem at all. It's very flexible, and with soon steeply rising cap numbers, you are foolish not to use that flexibility.

The 2022 cap has been widely reported to be 203 to 205 million, and that is what these numbers are based on.

Just now, downundermike said:

The 2022 cap has been widely reported to be 203 to 205 million, and that is what these numbers are based on.

Except nobody cares. Because you can still restructure and move money down the road.

People like you have been amusing me by saying that this year with all the cap issues we would have to make some painful cuts. And can't do anything in FA.

So where are those cuts? And this is in a crisis situation nobody could have seen coming. With rising caps over the next years, and still the same tools as always to free up cap space, point remains: total non-issue. By now, every fan should know better.

1 minute ago, Infam said:

Except nobody cares. Because you can still restructure and move money down the road.

People like you have been amusing me by saying that this year with all the cap issues we would have to make some painful cuts. And can't do anything in FA.

So where are those cuts? And this is in a crisis situation nobody could have seen coming. With rising caps over the next years, and still the same tools as always to free up cap space, point remains: total non-issue. By now, every fan should know better.

You don’t even have to restructure next year. Brooks, Slay, and Cox will all be gone. There is a reason they picked Dickerson and Williams. Corner will be addressed in the draft and FA next year.

5 minutes ago, Infam said:

I never said anything of the sort.  I predicted in February and March the Eagles would have to do massive damage to the cap in 2022 and 2023, which Howie has.

I started tracking it March 10th here is the impact to gain 47.5 million in 2021 cap room.

2022 cap space went from 73.325  million to 16.611 million.

2023 cap space went from 136.8 million to 91.976 million.

Howie gave up 101.5 million in 2022 - 2023 cap space for 47.9 million in 2021 cap space.  That is gross mismanagement.