Ryan Kerrigan Signs With Eagles

pgcd3

1 minute ago, MillerTime said:

You don’t even have to restructure next year. Brooks, Slay, and Cox will all be gone. There is a reason they picked Dickerson and Williams. Corner will be addressed in the draft and FA next year.

Just wanted to point out how silly it is to take a number and state: So that is where we will be next year and nothing can be done about it. Which is exactly what the whole doomsday argument is based on to begin with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

I never said anything of the sort.  I predicted in February and March the Eagles would have to do massive damage to the cap in 2022 and 2023, which Howie has.

Fairly certain that is exactly what you said, but way to lazy to look it up.

Anyways, saying oh there will be 203 Million and that is what we have to work with is silly. The cap, especially with Roseman is a flexible thing, that we will use as we see fit. 

3 minutes ago, Infam said:

Fairly certain that is exactly what you said, but way to lazy to look it up.

Anyways, saying oh there will be 203 Million and that is what we have to work with is silly. The cap, especially with Roseman is a flexible thing, that we will use as we see fit. 

Howie apologists absolutely kill me.  He gets lucky in 2017 and has done nothing but damage to the team with gross cap and roster mismanagement since.  

Just now, downundermike said:

Howie apologists absolutely kill me.  He gets lucky in 2017 and has done nothing but damage to the team with gross cap and roster mismanagement since.  

Enjoy your role as Doomsayer then. In reality your whole cap argument is a joke though.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Infam said:

Enjoy your role as Doomsayer then. In reality your whole cap argument is a joke though.

Yeah, it happened exactly as I said, all the replies back then, it will be Ok we have 73 million in 2022, and here we are.

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

He will get back roughly 75 million the next 2 years out of the 101 by what I outlined. And he gained over 40 million this year. And he gets an extra year out of those players.

3 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

He will get back roughly 75 million the next 2 years out of the 101 by what I outlined. And he gained over 40 million this year. 

Well, I have a spreadsheet, it will all be tracked.  I will post the link, and we can continue to visit this.  

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Well, I have a spreadsheet, it will all be tracked.  I will post the link, and we can continue to visit this.  

Sounds good. I acknowledge your concern, you’re right about where we are at this moment. I just wanted to point out there is a bigger plan that will get us that money back and allow us to pay and sign future players. 

1 hour ago, MillerTime said:

Sounds good. I acknowledge your concern, you’re right about where we are at this moment. I just wanted to point out there is a bigger plan that will get us that money back and allow us to pay and sign future players. 

Howie sucks at drafting. I always thought the cap genius stuff was BS but I don't think he sucks at it either. It's just table stakes at this point. The Wentz situation was highly unusual.

The back and forth I've been seeing is about the size of the cap in 22 and 23.  Time will tell.

The bigger issue is the roster.  If you look at 2017, from a roster standpoint, the thing that came together was a good base peppered in with nice later veteran FA signings.  That, coupled with a sold coaching staff brought everything together.

Fast forwarding to 2022 and 23, the core of the team is younger and cheaper.  Wentz and his contract are gone.  Look for the Eagles to continue adding a larger percentage of May and beyond veteran free agent signings.  That is where the real value can be mined.  These are players that want to play and are hoping for something to get them in clover, even if it's not what they were hoping for initially.  You get a much bigger bang for the buck than you do with these mega contracts to land the star of the moment who all too often seems to slack off when he's not so hungry for a big contract.  Howie excels at the latter, and the cap is much less of an issue when filling out your roster in this way.  And given the amount of turnover every year, a few short term veterans can really turn around the fortunes of a team for a season or two.

• Like 1

As to the salary cap going forward:

https://www.audacy.com/94wip/sports/eagles/eagles-salary-cap-looks-great-for-2021-2022-seasons?utm_campaign=sharebutton&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=WIPFM

Eagles’ salary cap situation is looking very strong moving in 2021, 2022 seasons

By Eliot Shorr-Parks

When the Eagles signed defensive end Ryan Kerrigan this week the move was met with one question — with what money?

After starting the 2021 offseason in a $60 million hole, the Eagles dug their way out of it prior to start of the new league year, and then proceeded to add three quality players in Anthony Harris, Eric Wilson and now Kerrigan.

The Eagles were able to clear cap space, and create space to sign players, by making a flurry of moves that involved essentially borrowing money from future years and putting dummy years on contracts to spread out cap hits.

So where do they stand now? And how much did they borrow from the future?

Here is an updated look at the Eagles’ salary cap situation:

Currently: The Eagles, according to OverTheCap.com, currently have $4.3 million in salary cap space. A chunk of that will soon be gone, however.

Kerrigan's deal with the Eagles, per an ESPN report, will count $1.36 million against the cap this season. That brings the Eagles down to (roughly) $3 million. The Eagles will also need to sign their 2021 rookie class, which should take up a decent chunk of the remaining $3 million.

The good news is the Eagles have more cap space coming in once June 1st hits.

June 1st: A big cap-space day is coming up in the NFL as on June 1st the salary-cap hits for releasing players drop. That is going to be especially beneficial for the Eagles, who have three big-name players that will come off the books.

The first two players, who really have already been released but remain on the cap, are Alshon Jeffery and Malik Jackson. The Eagles will open up around $2 million for each player, totaling $4 million.

There is also the Zach Ertz move that is eventually coming. At the beginning of the offseason the idea of the Eagles holding onto Ertz until June 1st seemed crazy, but with that date now less than two weeks away, it seems likely he will be on the roster come June 1st. If he is, and the Eagles then release or trade him, they will open up around $8.5 million in cap space.

Add that $8.5 million to the $4 million saved with Jeffery/Jackson, and the Eagles will soon be opening up around $12.5 million.

It remains to be seen how much of the initial $4.3 million will be left over, but if you add that into the new cap space, the Eagles could have around $16.8 on-or-around June 1st.

The Eagles entering the 2021 season with around $10 million (at least) in salary cap space gives them enough room to make a trade or signing should they need to before the start of the season -- including cornerback Steven Nelson.

• Like 2

Yep, been posting the exact same the past couple of weeks.  :-)

Anyone else listen to the ITB podcast about Kerrigan? Mosher was talking about how he fully expects Kerrigan to play a lot at OLB.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Anyone else listen to the ITB podcast about Kerrigan? Mosher was talking about how he fully expects Kerrigan to play a lot at OLB.

Worst idea ever

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Worst idea ever

I'm just repeating what was said is all. 

54 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Worst idea ever

Yes that makes no sense

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yes that makes no sense

I don't think a guy who ran a 4.67 10 years ago should be put in a position to potentially cover TE's and RB's

28 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I don't think a guy who ran a 4.67 10 years ago should be put in a position to potentially cover TE's and RB's

I don't either especially since he was an OLB in a 3-4 those guys usually don't do a lot of covering. 

7 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I don't either especially since he was an OLB in a 3-4 those guys usually don't do a lot of covering. 

Yeah I thought it was strange that Mosher or Caplan (I get confused who is who) said that. I mean most seem to think that Kerrigan would have had an even better career had he not been stuck in a 3-4 for some of his career. He's not a coverage guy he's a get after the passer guy with a great engine. 

On 5/18/2021 at 7:07 PM, downundermike said:

I never said anything of the sort.  I predicted in February and March the Eagles would have to do massive damage to the cap in 2022 and 2023, which Howie has.

I started tracking it March 10th here is the impact to gain 47.5 million in 2021 cap room.

2022 cap space went from 73.325  million to 16.611 million.

2023 cap space went from 136.8 million to 91.976 million.

Howie gave up 101.5 million in 2022 - 2023 cap space for 47.9 million in 2021 cap space.  That is gross mismanagement.

I am kind of coming in the middle here but I have a question on this - does it really matter?

From my perspective that limited cap number has not stopped the Eagles from signing players, they have not had to cut or resign top notch young players because they could not afford them and there really has not been a player in FA where they said they could not afford them. In 2022 there are possibly 2 high end FAs that might be available (Davante Adams and Fred Warner) but they will probably resigned before free agency.

When you have a lot of money and weak free agency class, that is where teams will overspend for mediocre players, which to me is worse then pushing money into the future for existing players.

In reality all teams should have very little to no cap space every year.

23 hours ago, pallidrone said:

I am kind of coming in the middle here but I have a question on this - does it really matter?

From my perspective that limited cap number has not stopped the Eagles from signing players, they have not had to cut or resign top notch young players because they could not afford them and there really has not been a player in FA where they said they could not afford them. In 2022 there are possibly 2 high end FAs that might be available (Davante Adams and Fred Warner) but they will probably resigned before free agency.

When you have a lot of money and weak free agency class, that is where teams will overspend for mediocre players, which to me is worse then pushing money into the future for existing players.

In reality all teams should have very little to no cap space every year.

While some of that may be true, I'll emphasize your last comment. Very little to no cap space every year may be ok in some instances. Example, contracts that are tightening up your available spending are contracts that are high in value based on what the player brings to the field as far as production. What alot of fans fear is that having little cap space while paying aging injury prone veterans that at this point in there career bring little value and having no extra to spend to make up the value. That's the balancing act you play restructuring contracts and backloading cap hits. That seems to be the Howie way, and sometimes it works out and sometimes you'll be picking in the top ten..

On 5/20/2021 at 11:52 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He will probably be playing as a stand-up edge rusher in known passing situations. He isn't an every down player in their 4-3 defense. I don't think he would play well at hand in the dirt DE.

7 hours ago, Devaster said:

He will probably be playing as a stand-up edge rusher in known passing situations. He isn't an every down player in their 4-3 defense. I don't think he would play well at hand in the dirt DE.

I don't suspect so either. He's certainly not going to be asked to cover a great deal. 

The only issue with signing Nelson..is he is in high demand and can choose to play for a winning team, given that Eagles are in rebuild. But who knows ??? If He tests the market and Eagles have enough dough to make a deal..Maybe he will choose to go for the money and sign with the Eagles. Eagle fans would welcome him with open arms.