iTs HaPpEnInG!@# Joooolio

Captain F

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t think they have acquired all of this draft capital in order to draft a bunch of rookies. They did it to use for mostly trade purposes. 

So are you for or against that philosophy?

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles are not in a rebuild. They’re "retooling” and frankly I don’t think they have acquired all of this draft capital in order to draft a bunch of rookies. They did it to use for mostly trade purposes. They didn’t want to trade Wentz. They’re still kicking the can down the line and most importantly they’re signing a bunch of veterans on prove it deals. It seems to me like they’re basically trying to recreate 2016-2017. 

I agree that we aren't rebuilding. We're trying to be competitive as soon as possible. As far as our FA signings, we really didn't have much choice but to do the 1-year deals. We have a lot of dead money this year and more coming next year. The covid-cap actually flooded the market a bit this year with cost-effective FAs and it's in their best interest to sign 1-year deals and play for the next contract when the caps will be normal. Some of the signings we have done are similar to the era you mentioned, but it's probably more of a coincidence than a model. 

On 5/29/2021 at 11:25 PM, NOTW said:

Superbowlzzzzzzzzz

You forgot !!!!!@111

2 hours ago, EagleVA said:

So are you for or against that philosophy?

I’m for winning. With their philosophy they have twice gone from bad to playoff contenders and one other time they won a Super Bowl. It’s the style that is working for them and truth fully I don’t think this fan base can really endure a true rebuild. One losing season and we got people screaming they’re the Lions and the Browns. 

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I agree that we aren't rebuilding. We're trying to be competitive as soon as possible. As far as our FA signings, we really didn't have much choice but to do the 1-year deals. We have a lot of dead money this year and more coming next year. The covid-cap actually flooded the market a bit this year with cost-effective FAs and it's in their best interest to sign 1-year deals and play for the next contract when the caps will be normal. Some of the signings we have done are similar to the era you mentioned, but it's probably more of a coincidence than a model. 

The Wentz trade put a strong hit against their cap, and they really didn’t have much of an option. This organization doesn’t believe it needs a full rebuild. They never have thought that way. Even after debacles like the Dream Team all they did was fire a coach, retool and move on. You can believe if they put themselves in a position to trade for or draft an asset they believe will put them over the top they will do so. They would trade all of their first round picks next season if it put them in a position to get a player that clearly put them over the top in their eyes. Not to mention the fact they’re playing in a division that most people don’t believe is very strong right now. No way you can go full rebuild mode when 6-8 could win this division. 

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Wentz trade put a strong hit against their cap, and they really didn’t have much of an option. This organization doesn’t believe it needs a full rebuild. They never have thought that way. Even after debacles like the Dream Team all they did was fire a coach, retool and move on. You can believe if they put themselves in a position to trade for or draft an asset they believe will put them over the top they will do so. They would trade all of their first round picks next season if it put them in a position to get a player that clearly put them over the top in their eyes. Not to mention the fact they’re playing in a division that most people don’t believe is very strong right now. No way you can go full rebuild mode when 6-8 could win this division. 

The truth is that in today's NFL, there isn't enough time for a "rebuild." I know some fans don't want to accept this, but it's true. There aren't very many contracts where a player is even locked in for five years. These aren't the days where you drafted a player and he's yours until you trade him or he retires. Free agency has changed how a team moves forward. Of course as a team you want to draft well and get good production from your cheaper players, but you need to keep your eye on the immediate to be successful as a team. If you try to look too far down the road, you will be a perennial loser. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles are not in a rebuild. They’re "retooling” and frankly I don’t think they have acquired all of this draft capital in order to draft a bunch of rookies. 

Time will tell, but I don't agree.  The NFL is a league where you need as many players playing on their rookie contracts to succeed.  Nothing better than hitting the jackpot on a first round pick and having a very cap friendly number for years!

I can see them doing what they did to acquire Wentz and move up the draft, but only if Hurts is bad or there's a QB that they really like in the draft that they think they can get to.

Either way, it hasn't been the Eagles way to flip high draft picks for veterans.  If they don't spend them, they'll trade them to the following year and spend them then.

29 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

The truth is that in today's NFL, there isn't enough time for a "rebuild." 

I agree.

I think the recepie for sustaing a winning team is consistent good draft that address your weaknesses, keeping your cap managible to add players in FA to further address your weaknesses, and find a coach that knows what he's doing, this learn on the job thing will alway be a gamble where you potentially waste the talent that you've acquired.  

39 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I agree.

I think the recepie for sustaing a winning team is consistent good draft that address your weaknesses, keeping your cap managible to add players in FA to further address your weaknesses, and find a coach that knows what he's doing, this learn on the job thing will alway be a gamble where you potentially waste the talent that you've acquired.  

It's really all a constant gamble, isn't it?  Between draft picks, free agents and coaches, if there was a conservative way to do it, it wouldn't be so damn hard.

I would think about 25% of the Super Bowl winning coaches were "learning on the job", and won in their first two or three seasons of being a head coach.  Considering no head coach has ever won with two different teams, if you're a gambling man, and you want to win fast, you change horses.

I wonder what the "hit rate" on draft picks are.  It's definitely below 50%.  It might be below 50% for the first round!  

I agree with you in that you have to hit with a few draft picks, fill in the weak areas with smart free agency pickups (which could mean overpaying for the right talent), and a coach who can put it together, before that coaching team gets picked apart by other needy teams.  It's all about timing, and luck.

55 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Retooling lol. 

5-12 for the next 3 years isnt retooling. trust me

So when the Eagles won 4 games in 2012 you predicted them to win the division in 2013 too? Did you know that after two 7-9 season in 15 and 16 they would win the bowl in 2017? You have no clue. I’ll also add the EVERY head coach Jeff Lurie has hired so far has gone to the playoffs within 2 years of their being hired and all of them had double digit wins. 

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

The truth is that in today's NFL, there isn't enough time for a "rebuild." I know some fans don't want to accept this, but it's true. There aren't very many contracts where a player is even locked in for five years. These aren't the days where you drafted a player and he's yours until you trade him or he retires. Free agency has changed how a team moves forward. Of course as a team you want to draft well and get good production from your cheaper players, but you need to keep your eye on the immediate to be successful as a team. If you try to look too far down the road, you will be a perennial loser. 

I agree. There is no real "rebuild” in the NFL. The only way I see a team stuck in a cycle of rebuild is due to bad coaching, bad drafting, or a combination of both. 

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

Retooling lol. 

5-12 for the next 3 years isnt retooling. trust me

I don't like the position we're in either, but I'm pretty confident we won't be a 5 win team at best three seasons from now.

6 hours ago, Swoop said:

I don't like the position we're in either, but I'm pretty confident we won't be a 5 win team at best three seasons from now.

Them sounds like betting words to me...

22 hours ago, brkmsn said:

22 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I agree.

20 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I agree. There is no real "rebuild” in the NFL. The only way I see a team stuck in a cycle of rebuild is due to bad coaching, bad drafting, or a combination of both. 

I don’t see it as a rebuild at all. If they were rebuilding they would be looking to trade Cox, Graham, Slay etc, who will all probably be not much use in a couple of years.

This team is a lot closer to being competitive than people think. They need to sort CB2 and Hurts needs to be decent, but if both these things happen this team has a chance.

• Like 2

This team will be in every game they play this year.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

They need to sort CB2 

They need a CB1,  I don't think Slay is that guy.

On 6/4/2021 at 8:23 AM, EagleVA said:

I think the recepie for sustaing a winning team is consistent good draft that address your weaknesses

then we are screwed....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I don’t see it as a rebuild at all. If they were rebuilding they would be looking to trade Cox, Graham, Slay etc, who will all probably be not much use in a couple of years.

This team is a lot closer to being competitive than people think. They need to sort CB2 and Hurts needs to be decent, but if both these things happen this team has a chance.

Despite all the injuries, poor coaching, organizational dysfunction, and nothing from the quarterback position for most of the season this team still was in the playoff hunt till late in the season. People are coming back, coaching should be better, and Hurts year two won’t be as good as MVP level Wentz, but certainly should be better than trashcan Wentz from last season. 

14 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well the Eagles don’t really have that. 

How many WR's say they want a noodle arm qb? 

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well the Eagles don’t really have that. 

Sounds like he’s saying (without actually saying it)...KC, come get me...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, What The F said:

How many WR's say they want a noodle arm qb? 

I’m sure the winning would take precedence over the arm strength though and unfortunately for the Eagles they’re lacking in both right now. 

Just now, EagleTen said:

Sounds like he’s saying (without actually saying it)...KC, come get me...

Can’t say I blame him. A winning organization with a quarterback who can throw 50 yards downfield on one knee. 

On 6/5/2021 at 12:27 AM, Swoop said:

I'm not confident that any human beings will be alive three years from now, or that if we are, the Eagles will have won a total of five games during that time.