Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

The guys we signed to 1 year deals can be re-signed OR the draft picks we made will step up and they can go away. Sounds to me like reagor may have smacked himself,woke up and understands this is not a field game,this is the PROS.If he steps up we would have 3 excellent WR's not even counting Quez and pascal(not flashy but reliable like Amendola lol)

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Ham...  that's how contracts work.

The last year you look to move on or redo a deal. Team has leverage that way.

What world are you living in that you think the ideal way is that the contract runs out and then they sign the next deal?

Why would the player want a new deal?  Because he feels he earned it.  That's the players you want.

If they don't earn it, the team gets rid of them prior to the last year.    " oh no, 2026 there could be 1.5 mil of dead money when the cap will be over 300 mil.   How can they survive?? 

I’m talking about they take the out in the contract. That’s the best deal. So they do that after two years of him as an Eagles. Then what happens? He gets pissed and demands a trade or……we rework and extend off the three year out numbers.

Yeah the 50 plus mil is really just 1.5. All Rosie is doing is spending 2024 and such money.

Dude.... stop just stop.  Backhanded compliment to Howie.   Stick to 7th round draft picks to " call"  salary cap isn't your thing.

It is a compliment to Rosie…really. But the job isn’t done. I think he’s a good player we’ll like to keep longer than two seasons. So he’ll be renegotiating in just a couple seasons.

Who is our next big contract we are giving out?   Would only be the QB.  Other teams have contract issues coming up.  That changes things, it's a fluid situation, and going forward,  the Eagles look pretty good because of the roster shifting from older to younger. AJ and Reddick are locked up for a few years. Goedert and that 2018 draft class too.  The 2021 class can't be extended until they play 2 more seasons.  They can really set it up to shape a young roster going forward, especially if the next QB is drafted next year.

Hargrave, Bradbury, Tartt, White, Sanders, Quez, Epps…..

9 hours ago, downundermike said:

Here is all the actual dead money projected for next year, and the following.  For this calculation, I added back in the current dead money to the current cap space so you can see it from start to finish, and figured the likely retirement of Kelce and the release of Cox, which both contract were set up for exactly that.  Once all the current dummy years accelerate into 2023, the Eagles are projected to be 31.9 million over the cap.  

@paco did I miss anything ??

image.png.12193b29bc2196a5a21822c1d3f9cc4e.png

Excellent work. How can anybody not see how much this hinders is going forward? Been going on since Rosie got his job back.

5 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Hypothetical question here to make sure people understand how it works...

Cleveland Browns have $20 mil in cap space...  with $60 mil of dead money

Houston Texans have $10 mil of cap space with no dead money showing. 

Which team is in better cap position and why?

It’s a rolling cap….so especially with us….it’s also future cap hits we are taking on these same players. So to equal it to what we are doing you’d have to say Cleveland also owes 40 million next year dead. Which teams in better cap shape?

2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Still uphill battle. In 2 years only Quez and Driscoll will be here from 2019-20 drafts.   " but money management is the problem"??? 

Why can’t it be both?

Some of it is just the mentality. Trading picks. Overpaying aged ‘lost at least a step’ guys to try and compete in 2019 and 2020.

5 hours ago, downundermike said:

Texans, as they are spending the 60 million on players that can help them win games instead of not being able to spend it at all.

Example, after the 2022 free agency period

Eagles have 8.9 million in cap space, and 55 million dead.

Ravens have 8.5 million in cap space, 14.9 million dead, and Marcus Williams ( who the Eagles also pursued )

Saints have 11.2 million in cap space, 33 million dead, and the Honey Badger ( who the Eagles also pursued )

5 dollars with zero dead, because they would be spending the money on players to be on the roster instead of not being able to use it at all.

Saints signed S Maye also.

2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

We could go into 2024 with Goedert, Mailata, Sweat, Maddox, Quez and Driscoll..  from 2014 to 2020 drafts. 

But contracts are the problem?  We missed on a safety free agent, after signing all the other guys.... but let's not think having those few guys from 7 drafts are a problem...lol

Your basically blaming the draft. That answer in itself says we don’t have enough money to get it done.

19 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Some of it is just the mentality. Trading picks. Overpaying aged ‘lost at least a step’ guys to try and compete in 2019 and 2020.

So lets remember you have to deal with 157 personalities. You guys think it's just cut and dried. There are MANY aspects that go into a player signing ANYWHERE. That's what agents do and you have to deal with all those "middle men" . You guys think this is easy work?. With every contract you have to satisfy the player,the agent,the FO,the staff and you have to do this multiple times ALL year long. On top of that you have to plan ahead,draft those replacement players(which Howie is getting better at the last 2 drafts). You have to balance what the coaches are telling you "is this guy worth the money going forward?" with players you already have. Howie has a ridiculously TOUGH job. it's not like posting a job opening on Indeed lol. Then you have players that get injured,but that's another story

9 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Saints signed S Maye also.

So?

5 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Minkah Fitzpatrick signed for 18.4 million.

Marcus signed for 14

So?

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Whitehead 7.2 mil

So?

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Reid and Read also S that signed for ten million per

So?

All these S signed for a good deal less than Fitzpatrick just got paid. Which makes these excellent players look to be very good bargains in comparison, no?

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

All these S signed for a good deal less than Fitzpatrick just got paid. Which makes these excellent players look to be very good bargains in comparison, no?

How do you know they are excellent with their new teams? They haven't played yet

7 hours ago, joemas6 said:

2 " designated" post June cuts.   You can cut anyone after June 1 and it counts as post June.  Kelce will retire and get off the books after June 1.  No need to take him off prior.  

Fair enough, I thought you were implying to designate all 3 

8 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Really am happy with how the future is looking. yes there are still upgrades we can make,that really never ends,but we have rebuilt in what I feel is record time and Howie has secured future HIGH picks. IDK why people complain,we will CONTEND THIS YEAR if Hurts shows us anything at all. If he can grow and we end up paying him we can contend for SB's for the next 2-3 years. My goal this year is 10-11 wins and 2 playoff wins. I totally think that is possible and yes I will still call for ONE more TD per game. Some thing that is out of reach? if we can't score 1 more TD with this squad than we did last year we should throw in the towel. basically if Sanders can score 1 TD per game we are home free LOL(forgetting the top WR crew we have now and a better defense)

I disagree there, I think there is a lot of rebuilding left to do.  I think this year is a transition year of sorts.  They went and spent a lot of money ( because they could) on free agents and trades .. to make this years roster good for a run.   I think next year they look to replace the old guys.  If they need a QB then for sure next year will be a step back.    It's going to take time when you come up empty on too many drafts.  

7 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m talking about they take the out in the contract. That’s the best deal. So they do that after two years of him as an Eagles. Then what happens? He gets pissed and demands a trade or……we rework and extend off the three year out numbers.

Yeah the 50 plus mil is really just 1.5. All Rosie is doing is spending 2024 and such money.

Why would Eagles take an " out " in the contract if the player was performing?  And why would the player be mad if the team took the out if he wasn't performing?    You aren't making sense? 

7 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Yeah the 50 plus mil is r eally just 1.5. All Rosie is doing is spending 2024 and such money.

If Brown is on the roster on the 3rd day of the 2023 league year... which is 7 months or so....his 2024 salary is guaranteed.   That means he plays one year ( 2022) and gets 3 years guaranteed.  Where were u getting that they would only get 2 years of him as an Eagles?  You think they avoid the whopping 12 mil cap hit in 2024 so they cut him after 1 year?   

You can easily see where 2026 is the big cap hit... after he plays 4 years.  But yeah, they will either redo the deal or let him go.... after 4 years, not 2.

But I don't get your idea of an " out" for the Eagles and then Brown gets mad?  The out means he is a free agent and can go sign anywhere else. 

21 hours ago, downundermike said:

Yes, teams have dead money, but ours is over the top, has been the last 3 years, and we already have more than double of 30 teams next year.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

It sure killed us from signing players! I guess it would be better to be Dallas with no dead money, but also no cap space due to poor contracts. They had to cut players that were starters to get under the cap. Much Better !!! Where are the Eagles weak? I mean other than the possibility of QB, the Eagles have a solid roster. So let's complain about dead money! Exactly how has it hurt us this year? Yes Wentz did do a number, but his contract is now gone.

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

I disagree there, I think there is a lot of rebuilding left to do.  I think this year is a transition year of sorts.  They went and spent a lot of money ( because they could) on free agents and trades .. to make this years roster good for a run.   I think next year they look to replace the old guys.  If they need a QB then for sure next year will be a step back.    It's going to take time when you come up empty on too many drafts.  

As I keep saying,it's an ongoin and as also0 stated,it depends on Hurts play this yearg process,you can disagree if you want

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

If Brown is on the roster on the 3rd day of the 2023 league year... which is 7 months or so....his 2024 salary is guaranteed.   That means he plays one year ( 2022) and gets 3 years guaranteed.  Where were u getting that they would only get 2 years of him as an Eagles?  You think they avoid the whopping 12 mil cap hit in 2024 so they cut him after 1 year?   

You can easily see where 2026 is the big cap hit... after he plays 4 years.  But yeah, they will either redo the deal or let him go.... after 4 years, not 2.

But I don't get your idea of an " out" for the Eagles and then Brown gets mad?  The out means he is a free agent and can go sign anywhere else. 

Joe, It's Hamville Hamlet, where 4 years is 2, where cap hit is the most important thing. Where every contract should be perfect,with perfectly performing players, where there are no egotistical agents to deal with, where no contract extensions nor reworkings can be had on any horizon, where there was always a better player for a better deal at every roster position(sans Hurts) even if they didn't want to play in Philly. So now I am wondering how Hamlet would feel if we pay Hurts 30 million a year taking on a possibly huge cap hit? Personally I like drafting decent QB's with potential QB's every 2nd or 3rd draft(if possible). If I can avoid paying a huge amount to a QB I can really build up my team(like we are doing). I like the Strong pick up. I feel bad though for Minshew. He really wants to play after having tasted "starter". I believe if some QB gets hurt that we swing a deal for his benefit as well as ours(see Foles)

Archived