Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Joe, It's Hamville Hamlet, where 4 years is 2, where cap hit is the most important thing. Where every contract should be perfect,with perfectly performing players, where there are no egotistical agents to deal with, where no contract extensions nor reworkings can be had on any horizon, where there was always a better player for a better deal at every roster position(sans Hurts) even if they didn't want to play in Philly. So now I am wondering how Hamlet would feel if we pay Hurts 30 million a year taking on a possibly huge cap hit? Personally I like drafting decent QB's with potential QB's every 2nd or 3rd draft(if possible). If I can avoid paying a huge amount to a QB I can really build up my team(like we are doing). I like the Strong pick up. I feel bad though for Minshew. He really wants to play after having tasted "starter". I believe if some QB gets hurt that we swing a deal for his benefit as well as ours(see Foles)

Ehhh..  I'll try something different than all these "draft this and that every so often"

How about for once draft a hall of fame level QB ..  surround him with some good players and keep him for 12-15 years and make some legit playoff runs. 

Just a thought.  Change it up a little for a goof..why not? 

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Ehhh..  I'll try something different than all these "draft this and that every so often"

How about for once draft a hall of fame level QB ..  surround him with some good players and keep him for 12-15 years and make some legit playoff runs. 

We may have this guy on our roster right now..... Signed as a FA.

1 minute ago, stine said:

We may have this guy on our roster right now..... Signed as a FA.

Sure maybe or maybe not.... the 2nd part of the equation of surrounding him with good players looks like it's starting to build. 

GB and I disagree as I see this year’s team needing replacements in the future.... we have been a little spoiled in the sense the last decade or so in that these core players have been in place on the lines.... Graham,Cox  and Kelce Lane.    For me, they won't be here for the next QB.   

I'm seeing Dickerson, Mailata and Davis as those core guys. They add another 2 or 3 and some decent depth, they can solidify both lines for the next QB for a while.   The WRs are finally not a weakness, and look to be set for a while.

A good year in 2022 and then a step back next year to get younger.... we could reset quickly if it comes together, but not only that, it could be legit set up for a while.   

Just need to not get cocky and keep hitting the draft picks.

Seeing where Jurgens is getting praise.  Curious how some people would view if he wins the RG job.

They move on from Seamulo...  would it bother some people...even though it would open up more cap space... it would show a higher dead money #.  

Jurgens is THE guy Kelce picked over the past 3 yrs to replace him. Anyone who even thinks of messing with that is seriously screwed up.

2 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Jurgens is THE guy Kelce picked over the past 3 yrs to replace him. Anyone who even thinks of messing with that is seriously screwed up.

?    Kelce is still on the team?  Why wouldn't Jurgens play next to him until he retires... if he is the best option?

14 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Nice dream LOL

13 hours ago, joemas6 said:

?    Kelce is still on the team?  Why wouldn't Jurgens play next to him until he retires... if he is the best option?

I DOUBT Jurgens will be the best option at guard this season anyway. He played mainly center in College, right?

19 minutes ago, stine said:

I DOUBT Jurgens will be the best option at guard this season anyway. He played mainly center in College, right?

How did Dickerson work out last year ?

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

How did Dickerson work out last year ?

Dickerson played guard allot in College along with Center. Not sure about Jurgens. Did he play guard allot in College?

Just now, stine said:

Dickerson played guard allot in College along with Center. Not sure about Jurgens. Did he play guard allot in College?

Idk... was it " a lot"  ?   That's why we see what happens.   Seamulo, Wisnewski, Dickerson...all supposed to be backup centers and they all were able to be pretty good at G.    

That's why it's a what if.   I would imagine the reason this happens often is because at C you have to snap and then block,  where at G you can just focus on your blocking.   

Idk, I feel pigeon-holing a guy because of what they had to do or their team prior to the NFL isn't smart.    Especially when the player works with Stoutland as his position coach.  Logic also tells me the easiest transition on the OL would be going from C to G. 

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Idk... was it " a lot"  ?   That's why we see what happens.   Seamulo, Wisnewski, Dickerson...all supposed to be backup centers and they all were able to be pretty good at G.    

That's why it's a what if.   I would imagine the reason this happens often is because at C you have to snap and then block,  where at G you can just focus on your blocking.   

Idk, I feel pigeon-holing a guy because of what they had to do or their team prior to the NFL isn't smart.    Especially when the player works with Stoutland as his position coach.  Logic also tells me the easiest transition on the OL would be going from C to G. 

Dickerson started 4 games at Guard for Alabama. He is alos 30 pounds heavier which makes it easier to play at both positions. You can play guard at 300 pounds sure enough, but to learn from scratch in the NFL...... Jurgens never played Guard in College. He started all 3 years at center. Big difference between the two positions. Maybe he would be fine. We do have one of the best Line coaches in Football. Most likely they will cross train him like they do for all linemen. So he will get work there, but to start in his first year at playing the position? A bit of a stretch if you ask me.

19 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Idk, I feel pigeon-holing a guy because of what they had to do or their team prior to the NFL isn't smart.    Especially when the player works with Stoutland as his position coach.  Logic also tells me the easiest transition on the OL would be going from C to G

Centers rarely take Pass rushers one on one, where as guards rarely get help. There is a huge difference going from Center to guard.

A much easier transition would be from Tackle to guard....

4 minutes ago, stine said:

Centers rarely take Pass rushers one on one, where as guards rarely get help. There is a huge difference going from Center to guard.

A much easier transition would be from Tackle to guard....

Idk... have you ever had to snap the ball and then block?   I don't think any of the positions is easy...but C has that extra element.  Maybe we have been used to 4-3 d for so long and our style...that we forget teams put rushers over the C all the time.  

Btw... if C don't have a rusher 1 on 1..  who are they helping?   Probably the Gs right?  Kelce is great, but I can't remember him helping with an edge rusher?   

1 hour ago, stine said:

Dickerson started 4 games at Guard for Alabama. He is alos 30 pounds heavier which makes it easier to play at both positions. You can play guard at 300 pounds sure enough, but to learn from scratch in the NFL...... Jurgens never played Guard in College. He started all 3 years at center. Big difference between the two positions. Maybe he would be fine. We do have one of the best Line coaches in Football. Most likely they will cross train him like they do for all linemen. So he will get work there, but to start in his first year at playing the position? A bit of a stretch if you ask me.

Besides the weight thing, at C you also have to have smarts 😉

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Idk... have you ever had to snap the ball and then block?   I don't think any of the positions is easy...but C has that extra element.  Maybe we have been used to 4-3 d for so long and our style...that we forget teams put rushers over the C all the time.  

Btw... if C don't have a rusher 1 on 1..  who are they helping?   Probably the Gs right?  Kelce is great, but I can't remember him helping with an edge rusher?   

At Center you rarely take on any Pass Rusher 1 V 1. If there is a Nose Tackle then one of the guards help. If there is no one then he helps out one of the guards. Only time is when there is a blitz up the middle. A Guard will have a 1 V ! responsibility at least 50% of the time. So there is a huge amount of getting used to switching over. I am not saying he can't do it, but that to assume it is easy is not fair.

1 hour ago, stine said:

I agree... yet the talk is there due to Jurgens being the only one to hold off Davis in the one on one reps. The idea being he is strong enough vs the bull rush.  

They are all saying he’s country boy strong. To me that says his size shouldn’t be too much of a hinderance.

HOF game,wondering if we see Trevor much. Excellent QB IMO if they can put a team around him like we have

12 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

They are all saying he’s country boy strong. To me that says his size shouldn’t be too much of a hinderance.

Kelce has been "too small" for 7 years now LOL

2 hours ago, stine said:

At Center you rarely take on any Pass Rusher 1 V 1. If there is a Nose Tackle then one of the guards help. If there is no one then he helps out one of the guards. Only time is when there is a blitz up the middle. A Guard will have a 1 V ! responsibility at least 50% of the time. So there is a huge amount of getting used to switching over. I am not saying he can't do it, but that to assume it is easy is not fair.

Again... never said ANY of the positions were easy.  I simply stated what the talk has been about Jurgens.  And that we have had 3 guys recently under Stoutland who were brought in as C and moved to G.   

So IF ...IF ....IF ..  again IF ( zero expectations)  if Jurgens is the guy they select to start at G...and we move Seamulo.     That would get us more cap space.... but I'm guessing some fans would still be annoyed because it creates a higher dead money #.

14 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

HOF game,wondering if we see Trevor much. Excellent QB IMO if they can put a team around him like we have

Who?

12 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Funny at what is " small"  now... then you look at the Hogs who were considered huge back then.   Lol

30 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Oh yeah. But he has excellent feet pulling and such. All those intangibles that many here seem to not understand how beneficial they can be. Kelce is the poster boy for us of intangibles. Unbelievable example of a professional. Drafted late. Not big enough. No special skills that any thought would translate to the NFL level. All he’s done is turn that into a HOF career. Love rooting for underdogs like him. He’s been the picture of the Eagles Way practically from day one. Goes to show the Underwear Olympic Kings possessing all the measurables doesn’t equal NFL stud. Something for all to ponder. Nobody probably represents that better than him!

Archived