***OFFICIAL 202(1) Olympics Thread***

Agent23

17 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

When you use your position as a sports radio talkshow host to go after people like Naomi Osaka and Simone Biles then you’re doing it wrong.

Hes a sports commentator, you think its wrong that he comments on sports figures?

You just dont like his take.  Both women are deserving of criticism, theyve both used the "mental health" crutch inappropriately

This Olympics is different in that, A) these athletes aren't allowed to have any family, friends, or other supportive figures be there with them  For someone already struggling, that could easily be enough to push them over the edge, and B) no fans in the stands.  Do not underestimate the power of an auditorium full of cheering fans to help energize and focus the minds of these athletes.  It's enough to take someone's mind off of the never-ending reminders from the press that everyone is counting on you, and expecting greatness from you.  These are weird times.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

This Olympics is different in that, A) these athletes aren't allowed to have any family, friends, or other supportive figures be there with them  For someone already struggling, that could easily be enough to push them over the edge, and B) no fans in the stands.  Do not underestimate the power of an auditorium full of cheering fans to help energize and focus the minds of these athletes.  It's enough to take someone's mind off of the never-ending reminders from the press that everyone is counting on you, and expecting greatness from you.  These are weird times.

Yeah, I thought it was weird that Biles mentioned the no fans thing, but it actually makes sense that the absurdity of that could take a toll on someone who is so used to competing in packed arenas.

If Tom Brady quit halfway through the Super Bowl for mental health reasons, he’d get blasted for it universally and no one would think twice about it. Just because she looks like a 12 year old doesn’t mean she is. She’s an adult and should rightfully be criticized for laying down during one of the biggest moments of her career. 

And this ^^^^ is what happens when people buy into the utterly ridiculous notion that there’s no difference between men and women.  That girl is doing stuff that no one else can do. Scary ish that results in gruesome, long recovery injuries when you don’t do it right. 

Just now, The_Omega said:

And this ^^^^ is what happens when people buy into the utterly ridiculous notion that there’s no difference between men and women.

People criticize women?

1 minute ago, VanHammersly said:

People criticize women?

Some people. People with a fairly comfortable couch.

• Haha 1

Some people. People with a fairly comfortable couch.

This is a website made up of fat dudes criticizing high level athletes.  And you're an active participant.

I haven't listened to her interviews or been reading about it, but based on the few things I've seen it sounds like she got spooked on the vault.

16 minutes ago, VanHammersly said:

This is a website made up of fat dudes criticizing high level athletes.  And you're an active participant.

I see.  Because she's the GOAT at her discipline, she's not also a woman.  Clever.  Silly, but clever.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

I see.  Because she's the GOAT at her discipline, she's not also a woman.  Clever.  Silly, but clever.

You're not making any sense, Zucker.  Are you trying to say women are above critique?

Fact is she's an amazing gymnast and an elite level athlete, but she sheet the bed here.  Obviously that doesn't take away from her previous accomplishments, but it's okay to say she failed in this instance.  She'll be fine. 

• Like 1

The jackass who says this within an hour:

35 minutes ago, VanHammersly said:

People criticize women?

8 minutes ago, VanHammersly said:

Are you trying to say women are above critique?

Says I'm not making sense. :wacko:  People like this are the reason that mental illness is such a problem in our society.  Not only because they're mentally ill, but because they demand that others simply get over their mental issues too.

• Like 1

The jackass who says this within an hour:

Says I'm not making sense. :wacko:  People like this are the reason that mental illness is such a problem in our society.  Not only because they're mentally ill, but because they demand that others simply get over their mental issues too.

I was responding to this:

38 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

And this ^^^^ is what happens when people buy into the utterly ridiculous notion that there’s no difference between men and women. 

with this

38 minutes ago, VanHammersly said:

People criticize women?

I was admitting that I was criticizing a woman.  You, for some reason, were acting like she was above critique.  She's not.  But I'd love to see your "we can't criticize women" line of thought extended into other topics of discussion.

• Like 1

It is fine she quit for mental health reasons and she should be praised for speaking about it, but she should also be on the next flight home and shouldn't compete in the individual events. 

Not much sympathy for a girl who calls herself the GOAT and wears that on the clothes she competes in then breaks down under pressure. When you are that cocky you bring it on yourself. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike31mt said:

Youre right, Id still criticize her for quitting, because its deserving of criticism to do what she did

Typical. Have you ever done gymnastics on a competitive level? No, when the switch is turned on it's a fight or flight with the brain. Her body knows how to twist but her brain prevents her from doing it. It's a mental thing and it's not unique to just her. It has happened to other gymnasts. She said she doesn't trust herself. That's how gymnasts get injured. The things Biles can do is dangerous. What she needs is mental health treatment to get over it. Hopefully team USA is providing it to her. It's not something you battle through. She did the right thing and her teammates support her. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

It is fine she quit for mental health reasons and she should be praised for speaking about it, but she should also be on the next flight home and shouldn't compete in the individual events. 

If her mental block is in the vault, she could still medal on the beam or for her floor routine.  If she did the all-around she’d have to do the vault though.

27 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Typical. Have you ever done gymnastics on a competitive level? No, when the switch is turned on it's a fight or flight with the brain. Her body knows how to twist but her brain prevents her from doing it. It's a mental thing and it's not unique to just her. It has happened to other gymnasts. She said she doesn't trust herself. That's how gymnasts get injured. The things Biles can do is dangerous. What she needs is mental health treatment to get over it. Hopefully team USA is providing it to her. It's not something you battle through. She did the right thing and her teammates support her. 

Have you?

I didnt know you had to be a world class gymnast to criticize one.  Ill remember this any time I read one of your posts about the Eagles (assuming youve never played in the NFL)

No one is saying she isnt incredibly talented or a world class athlete, so you guys need to stop the internet white knight act.

What I'm saying is that she has struggled for months now with this issue, knew it, and still went ahead and took a spot on the Olympic team only to quit when confronted with failure.  She was all good during the buildup when everyone was heaping praises on her, never mentioned a thing about mental health.  But now at the critical moment she cant go on.

And then, when she does drop out, she sticks around to be a huge distraction to her team.  Doesnt sit well with me.

Does that mean shes a quitter or a failure?  No.  It means that I think she handled this poorly.  Sorry you guys cant take the fact that Im holding her to the exact same standard I (and probably you as well) would a world class male athlete

I've watched very little of the Olympics this year, but I did catch a lot of USA vs. China women's volleyball. Honestly, very entertaining. That and badminton are kinda awesome. I could actually see myself watching pro leagues of those sports if they ever went mainstream over sports that I just can't get into like hockey and baseball. Check out this volley!

Jordan Thompson damn-near single-handedly wrecked China.  She was incredible, had like 4 kills in a row at one point.

Volleyball is probably my favorite sport to play, but I never played indoors, only beach doubles.  Watching indoor volleyball at that level is incredible, how they are able to dig half of those spikes and blast the ball at light speed is unreal.  And theyre all like 6'5"+, true freaks of nature. In Italy they have legit pro volleyball leagues and its fun to watch

By the way, Suni Lee = champion 🇺🇸

• Like 1

in spoilers in case you're waiting to watch it on tv tonight.

Spoiler

Olympic women's gymnastics all-around live updates: Team USA's Suni Lee wins gold

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

in spoilers in case you're waiting to watch it on tv tonight.

Reveal hidden contents

Olympic women's gymnastics all-around live updates: Team USA's Suni Lee wins gold

Thanks, but Mike already ruined it.

6 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Thanks, but Mike already ruined it.

mike's a deek! 

• Haha 1