***OFFICIAL 202(1) Olympics Thread***

Agent23

3 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

Carli Lloyd, Megan Rapinoe combine for four goals as USWNT wins Olympic bronze medal

AAMY3Cd.img?h=372&w=628&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=t

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

In the last 10 years they have...

2011 Women's National Team FIFA Women's World Cup (Germany) 2nd place

2012 Women's National Team Olympic Soccer Tournament (London) 1st place

2015 Women's National Team FIFA Women's World Cup (Canada) 1st place

2019 Women's National Team FIFA Women's World Cup (France) 1st place

2021 Women's National Team Olympic Soccer Tournament (Tokyo) 3rd place

That's an incredible run for the old gals. Now let's usher in some new blood on this squad and keep it rolling.

I’ve got, like, 15 frisbees on my roof. Still no Mikaela Maroney. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, The_Omega said:

Mikaela Maroney

McKayla Maroney - IMDb

• Like 2

The US wrestling Steveson gold today was insane

• Like 2

David Taylor got gold for the US earlier - I think they have another chance at gold in wrestling too

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

David Taylor got gold for the US earlier - I think they have another chance at gold in wrestling too

you're damn straight they do!

tenor.gif

On 8/5/2021 at 12:48 PM, therealdawk20 said:

In the last 10 years they have...

2011 Women's National Team FIFA Women's World Cup (Germany) 2nd place

2012 Women's National Team Olympic Soccer Tournament (London) 1st place

2015 Women's National Team FIFA Women's World Cup (Canada) 1st place

2019 Women's National Team FIFA Women's World Cup (France) 1st place

2021 Women's National Team Olympic Soccer Tournament (Tokyo) 3rd place

That's an incredible run for the old gals. Now let's usher in some new blood on this squad and keep it rolling.

The era of only the United States putting time and money into women’s soccer (and most other countries demonizing women for playing soccer) appears to be coming to an end. I’ll be interested to see what happens with the next generation.

Our women really grew up at the right place at the right time. An argument could be made that, throughout the course of human history, no one owes more to their country than the current USWNT.

7 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

The US wrestling Steveson gold today was insane

They must score freestyle wrestling different than I remember, or maybe the Olympic rules are different from HS and the NCAA.  He was losing 8-5 and scored a takedown with 10 seconds left to cut it to 8-7.  He then let his opponent up for an escape, which should be 1 point to the opponent for a 9-7 lead.  He then took him down again near the buzzer.  He won the match 9-8, but at that point it should have been 9-9.  After you take your opponent down you either have to control him and try to tilt his shoulders towards the mat for backpoints (either 2 or 3 depending how long you expose his shoulders to the mat without actually pinning both shoulders to the mat) or let him up so you can try and take him down again.  I don't get why after the 1st takedown and he seemed to let him up then they squared off on their feet in a neutral position without his opponent being awarded a point for an escape.

• Like 1

Usa basketball with the gold!!!! 87-82

image.gif.dda105f7eb1fa027412c5f7e3943b04c.gif

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Usa basketball with the gold!!!! 87-82

image.gif.dda105f7eb1fa027412c5f7e3943b04c.gif

That gold makes 100 medals won by the US.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

They must score freestyle wrestling different than I remember, or maybe the Olympic rules are different from HS and the NCAA.  He was losing 8-5 and scored a takedown with 10 seconds left to cut it to 8-7.  He then let his opponent up for an escape, which should be 1 point to the opponent for a 9-7 lead.  He then took him down again near the buzzer.  He won the match 9-8, but at that point it should have been 9-9.  After you take your opponent down you either have to control him and try to tilt his shoulders towards the mat for backpoints (either 2 or 3 depending how long you expose his shoulders to the mat without actually pinning both shoulders to the mat) or let him up so you can try and take him down again.  I don't get why after the 1st takedown and he seemed to let him up then they squared off on their feet in a neutral position without his opponent being awarded a point for an escape.

Yeah that seemed strange to me too.  I tried to look it up and it appears there is no points for an "escape" in the Olympics.  It looks like there is only a "reversal" and to get a point there needs to be a reverse of dominance and it isn't enough to just escape.

Allyson Felix passed Carl Lewis for most track and field medals by an American athlete

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Yeah that seemed strange to me too.  I tried to look it up and it appears there is no points for an "escape" in the Olympics.  It looks like there is only a "reversal" and to get a point there needs to be a reverse of dominance and it isn't enough to just escape.

Thought it had to be something like that.  So if you're trailing you can try and takedown your opponent, let him up and take him down again (and again if needed) without giving up any points.  I prefer the US scoring system.

• Like 1

U.S. edges China for most golds at Tokyo Olympics; also first in overall medals

image.gif.4caf202161b906b90bed6f1eb42da83b.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 years later...
On 7/27/2021 at 4:02 PM, jsdarkstar said:

I instantly thought of Mary Lou Rettin toughing it out...

She's apparently close to her deathbed now, fighting for her life in ICU.

• Like 1