***OFFICIAL 202(1) Olympics Thread***

Agent23

4 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

She's no Kerri Strug!

that was an all-time olympic moment.  f'ing phenomenal!  

:worthy:  579a5f6a355a6.image.jpg?resize=500,654

• Like 1

Two torn ligaments in her ankle and she effing stuck the landing to beat the Russians!

:usa:

• Like 1

In hindsight, Team USA already clinched the team gold whether or not Strug finished her vault. Still a clutch performance, on a bad ankle no less. She was unable to compete in individual competition because of the injury.

Biles may compete in individual competition later, if she is cleared.

"After the performance that I did, I didn’t want to go into any of the other events second guessing myself, so I thought it was better if I took a step back and let these girls go out there and do the job and they did just that," Biles said.

She said she has been trying to cope with the stress of competing at the Tokyo Olympics.

"I was still struggling with some things," Biles said of competing Tuesday night.

"Therapy has helped a lot as well as medicine. That’s all been going really well. Whenever you get in high-stress situations, you kind of freak out and don’t know really know how to handle all of those emotions especially at the Olympic Games."

"No injury, thankfully,” Biles said. "And that’s why I took a step back, because I didn’t want to do something silly out there and get injured. So I thought it was best if these girls took over and did the rest of the job, which they absolutely did. They’re Olympic silver medalists now. And they should be really proud of themselves for how well they did last minute having to go in on it. It’s been really stressful, this Olympic games, I think just as a whole, not having an audience, there are a lot of different variables going into it. It’s been a long week. It’s been a long Olympic process. It’s been a long year. So just a lot of different variables and I think we’re just a little bit too stressed out. We should be out here having fun and sometimes that’s not the case.”

Biles recounted the discussion she had with the USA Gymnastics training staff, including team doctor Marcia Faustin, after leaving the arena floor following her first vault. "I was like, ‘I think the girls need to do the rest of the competition without me,’” Biles said. "And they were like, ‘I promise you, you’re fine. We watched you warm up.’ And I said, ‘No, I know I’m going to be fine, but I can’t risk a medal for the team, so I need to call it.’ And you usually don’t hear me say things like that because I’ll usually persevere and push through things, but not to cost the team a medal. So they were like, ‘OK, well, if Simone says this and we need to take it pretty serious. And so, I had the correct people around me to do that.”

She continued: Today has been really stressful. We had a workout this morning. It went OK. And then just that five-and-a-half-hour wait, I was just like, shaking. I could barely nap. I’ve just never felt like this going into a competition before. And I tried to go out here and have fun and warm up in the back when a little bit better. But then once I came out here, I was like, no, [the] mental is not there. So I just need to let the girls do it and focus on myself.”

• Like 2

I hope people cut her some slack.  A lot of slack.  Lord knows she’s earned it.

• Like 1

No one should ever be celebrated for quitting on their teammates. At the same time, a young woman should not be demonized for a mental issue. Both of these statements are allowed to exist.

• Like 1

Every high level athlete should be seeing a sports therapist or even every team should have one on staff working just like they have a strength and conditioning coaches. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SB52 said:

No one should ever be celebrated for quitting on their teammates. At the same time, a young woman should not be demonized for a mental issue. Both of these statements are allowed to exist.

Also, the silver medalists on Team USA should be celebrated for competing and earning the achievement. I hope Biles can pull through and compete later this week.

5 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

She's no Kerri Strug!

5 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

that was an all-time olympic moment.  f'ing phenomenal!  

:worthy:  579a5f6a355a6.image.jpg?resize=500,654

I just posted in the movie thread about the teenage girl from Jojo Rabbit. She has an upcoming film where she plays this chick ^ 

• Like 1

I instantly thought of Mary Lou Rettin toughing it out, until I learned that Biles is physically fine. It's her mental health that's question. 

Hopefully she will get her mind right and participate in the individual round. 

• Like 1

of course, nbc sat biles down for an interview about the whole sexual assault thing the other day & it aired this week. i'm sure that didn't help her. 

• Like 1

Yeah - it's a tough one.  On one hand, having everything about your life put on display can't be easy.  On the other hand, these athletes should know what they're getting into beforehand.

Hope she gets the help she needs and goes out and kicks some Russian ass in the individual competitions!

I’m surprised so many people are rooting for her to compete individually. If someone quits on their teammates, then I hope they don’t even think about going out there for themselves.

More importantly, like @toolg said, congratulations to the young women who competed and won a silver medal in the face of all this chaos.

The fact that she quit, then hung around laughing and joking with the team really rubbed me the wrong way. 

Let the other girls concentrate and compete, dont hang around and make it awkward and be a huge distraction.  She has been performing like crap since US qualifications, so the other athletes know whats going on, they know shes struggling, we dont need a little performance for the cameras.

But like almost every single elite athlete now, she is totally wrapped up in herself, its all about her.  Like the LeBron James of gymnastics, she knew she wasnt going to win so she quits, but still wants to hang around in front of the cameras so we can all adore her.

Now I see tons of articles praising her as a "true champion"....maybe last time, not this time.  You earn that title by actually competing and winning, its never easy, and thats why she is so celebrated.  But you still have to go out an earn it.  Go sit in the bleachers and cheer, the other gymnasts dont need her mugging for the cameras.

• Thanks 1

The psyche of a professional athlete is an extremely fragile thing. Even more so when the spotlight of the entire world, rather than just your own country, is constantly fixated on you for years on end. No chance I'd be able to handle that kind of pressure at my age now, let alone when I was that young.

19 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Every high level athlete should be seeing a sports therapist or even every team should have one on staff working just like they have a strength and conditioning coaches. 

^ This

Gymnastics is dangerous. What Biles does is not easy. People who have never done it, sit and Judge. If her mind is not right, she could easily get injured with what she does in the air and how high she goes. She said she doesn't trust herself. She was strong enough to pull herself out so as not to harm the team. Courageous. And it's not something you tough out or fight through. Her teammates support her as well as other Olympic Athletes. The real question is does Team USA provide her with the treatment she needs right now. Is she getting the help. Because it hasn't always existed. 

1 hour ago, Mike31mt said:

The fact that she quit, then hung around laughing and joking with the team really rubbed me the wrong way. 

Let the other girls concentrate and compete, dont hang around and make it awkward and be a huge distraction.  She has been performing like crap since US qualifications, so the other athletes know whats going on, they know shes struggling, we dont need a little performance for the cameras.

But like almost every single elite athlete now, she is totally wrapped up in herself, its all about her.  Like the LeBron James of gymnastics, she knew she wasnt going to win so she quits, but still wants to hang around in front of the cameras so we can all adore her.

Now I see tons of articles praising her as a "true champion"....maybe last time, not this time.  You earn that title by actually competing and winning, its never easy, and thats why she is so celebrated.  But you still have to go out an earn it.  Go sit in the bleachers and cheer, the other gymnasts dont need her mugging for the cameras.

Yeah, and I'm sure if she stayed in the locker room and didn't come and cheer and support her teammates, you would criticize her for that too.

35 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Yeah, and I'm sure if she stayed in the locker room and didn't come and cheer and support her teammates, you would criticize her for that too.

Youre right, Id still criticize her for quitting, because its deserving of criticism to do what she did

That Kerri Strugg photo is hard to look at now after everything that came out about that abusive coach holding her.

• Sad 1

Simone Biles is already one of the greatest gymnasts of  all-time regardless of what happens at this Olympics.  Her struggling with her mental health in Tokyo doesn’t make me question her greatness at all.  Some of the haters (i.e. Clay Travis) who spend their time attacking black and brown women need to get a life.

2 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Simone Biles is already one of the greatest gymnasts of  all-time regardless of what happens at this Olympics.  Her struggling with her mental health in Tokyo doesn’t make me question her greatness at all.  Some of the haters (i.e. Clay Travis) who spend their time attacking black and brown women need to get a life.

:rolleyes:

And holding her to a lower standard specifically because shes a black woman?  Whats that called?

Any man who did this would be getting bludgeoned by the media

7 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

:rolleyes:

And holding her to a lower standard specifically because shes a black woman?  Whats that called?

Any man who did this would be getting bludgeoned by the media

When you use your position as a sports radio talkshow host to go after people like Naomi Osaka and Simone Biles then you’re doing it wrong.