Rethinking Eagles win total?

Hawkeye

Vegas still has the Eagles win total at 6.5 but I'm seeing value in the over.

By all accounts, they had a strong camp. Offensively, Hurts got off to a slow start but by the end of camp had everyone in the organization raving about his development and leadership.  The OL looks healthy.  The wide receiver corps is young and explosive and the emergence of Quez Watkins adds a speed dimension they haven't had.  Ertz was Hurts' top target this camp.  Goedert was his second. RB is a concern mostly because of Sanders drops out of the backfield. 

Defensively, the line has dominated all summer and a healthy Hargrave finally looks like the guy they paid last year.  The secondary is still unsettled.

If things break right this team could win 8 or 9 games (remember, it's a 17 game season) and contend for the division.  Eagles over 6.5.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have the same prediction every year but this year I'm finally going to change it. Instead of 16-0 I'm going 17-0 this year. 

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, EaglesfanfromND said:

I'm taking the under at 6. Still better then I thought before camp.

I just think they could finish 7-10 or 8-9 and contend in this semi-pro division. 

35 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Vegas still has the Eagles win total at 6.5 but I'm seeing value in the over.

By all accounts, they had a strong camp. Offensively, Hurts got off to a slow start but by the end of camp had everyone in the organization raving about his development and leadership.  The OL looks healthy.  The wide receiver corps is young and explosive and the emergence of Quez Watkins adds a speed dimension they haven't had.  Ertz was Hurts' top target this camp.  Goedert was his second. RB is a concern mostly because of Sanders drops out of the backfield. 

Defensively, the line has dominated all summer and a healthy Hargrave finally looks like the guy they paid last year.  The secondary is still unsettled.

If things break right this team could win 8 or 9 games (remember, it's a 17 game season) and contend for the division.  Eagles over 6.5.

I had 7 games as my early prediction ... I'm sticking with that.  This team has been too injury riddled the past few seasons to make me think we will somehow avoid the injury bug this year (especially considering the age of some of our starters, in particular on OL and DL).  

It won't bother me this year to experience a sub 0.500 season so long as we see progress from Hurts and several of the younger players ... it'll be nice to see some of them become foundational pieces for the next few years.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

I just think they could finish 7-10 or 8-9 and contend in this semi-pro division. 

Well yeah that happened last year with 4 wins. I see 3 wins outside the division. 

I'll take the over too.  Depends on Hurts and how he develops but if we assume he is a 'game manager' this year, then we have enough talent to go .500.

They were so good in camp that I moved from 4 wins to 6 wins in a feel good moment.   Under.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

They were so good in camp that I moved from 4 wins to 6 wins in a feel good moment.   Under.

Me too :lol:

• Like 1

Depends entirely on Hurts. For now, I’m still going under at 5 or 6 wins. I do like the defense but need to see Hurts prove that he can elevate the offense to do any better than that. 

the Eagles were the last place team in a bad division last year.

that gives them an easy schedule. 

Wins over the Lions and Jets.  2-0 there.  9ers is ?  I'll say L.  2-1.

AFC West -  I'll say 2-2.  Wins over the Raiders and Broncos, losses to Chiefs and Chargers.

NFC South - I'll say 2-2.  Wins over the Falcons and Panthers.  Losses to Saints and Bucs.

Right there, 6-5.

And then 6 games against the division.  last 4 games are division games,  5 of the last 6.

the eagles pretty much have to win at least one of those 6.   So, Over.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, nipples said:

Depends entirely on Hurts. 

Come on nip, let's be realistic, there are a a minimum of 21 other players involved along with the play-caller, someone who's never called plays on this level before.

2 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

spacer.png

Definitely more positive, but still under 7 wins.

That might be a problem if Hurt's doesn't pan out since 7 wins would have them drafting outside the top five.

Would be nice if they either did really well and Hurts balled out. Or conversely, if they did really bad, Hurts stunk, and they got a top three draft pick. In either of those scenarios at least they wouldn't have to use all their draft capital on a QB.

Under, I'm going with 6-11 this season which is still a better prediction prior to camp, I had them at 4-5 wins before the draft / FA and camp.

• Like 1

Every single year, coverage of camp borders on hyperbole and exaggerated expectations. This summer, I detected the tone to be a little more tempered and moderate from both the press and even Spuds, their paid hype mechanism. I see a team hovering just at or under .500 with potentially one or two unexpected wins (and one or three unexpected losses). They are not an elite team by any stretch, they have brand new coaching, the secondary will still be a question mark, and the injury bug could all combine to see this team struggle to be 8-9, a fairly solid season but that's all. 

Too many factors point to a rough season. I see 4 or 5 wins. Take the under.

• Like 1

Sports wagering is about finding value. 

The Eagles +120 over 6.5 seems like a better play than, say, the Giants -130 over 7,  the Browns -115 over 10.5 or the Patriots -120 over 9.5.  The favorable juice is what's appealing. 

I had this team as a nut under prior to training camp. However, they are better in almost every aspect than I had envisioned. I still wouldn’t bet the over, though.

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

I had 7 games as my early prediction ... I'm sticking with that.  This team has been too injury riddled the past few seasons to make me think we will somehow avoid the injury bug this year (especially considering the age of some of our starters, in particular on OL and DL).  

It won't bother me this year to experience a sub 0.500 season so long as we see progress from Hurts and several of the younger players ... it'll be nice to see some of them become foundational pieces for the next few years.  

I agree with you.