Brooks Injured Again

Talonblood

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Can he even be traded with his contract?

https://overthecap.com/player/brandon-brooks/1644/

He's 32 years old, has had 2 season ending injuries, and is signed for 5 more years.  He's a great player but only getting older and suffering more injuries.  He is the new Jason Peters.  It will be too costly to cut him for at least a couple years.

Brooks.PNG

11 minutes ago, NOTW said:

https://overthecap.com/player/brandon-brooks/1644/

He's 32 years old, has had 2 season ending injuries, and is signed for 5 more years.  He's a great player but only getting older and suffering more injuries.  He is the new Jason Peters.  It will be too costly to cut him for at least a couple years.

Brooks.PNG

Yeah but he only missed 6 games 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yeah but he only missed 6 games 

plus all 16 games of the 2020 season and playoff games.  

He's a best, great player.  But like Alshon Jeffrey, Lane Johnson, DeSean Jackson...Howie shouldn't have given this kind of contract to an older player with continued injury problems that will only continue with age.

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

plus all 16 games of the 2020 season and playoff games.  

He's a best, great player.  But like Alshon Jeffrey, Lane Johnson, DeSean Jackson...Howie shouldn't have given this kind of contract to an older player with continued injury problems that will only continue with age.

I know I'm being a smart ass because apparently we don't count full seasons lost or torn Achilles during the off-season. That only 6 games turns in 22 games fairly quickly that doesn't include the playoff games apparently either

I am in no way denying the fact how great Brooks is he is a fantastic player but, he is has his hands in killing our seasons cause he can't stay healthy

17 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I know I'm being a smart ass because apparently we don't count full seasons lost or torn Achilles during the off-season. That only 6 games turns in 22 games fairly quickly that doesn't include the playoff games apparently either

I am in no way denying the fact how great Brooks is he is a fantastic player but, he is has his hands in killing our seasons cause he can't stay healthy

And Lane Johnson - another great player, but aging with injury troubles - has missed 25 games in the last 5 seasons.  Howie locked him up long term as well.  Great players, but should have been given shorter term contracts and keep renewing for a year or two since they have injury issues.

• Like 2

The "new Jason Peters"? I'll take that. Between 2012, when Peters tore his Achilles, and 2017, when he tore up his knee, Peters played virtually every game, was a Pro Bowler each season, All-Pro in 2013. It was after 2017 when Peters got old (35+) and gimpy, and played more sporadically.

If Brooks is out playing on the field Sunday, I'm not worried. If he's the new Peters, he's set to be All-Pro.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Procus said:

You took all that time to try to defend a player who is always hurt and not available to play? Okaaaaayyyy. Just like a lot people did with Jason Peters- but hey....he was Jason Peters. But Brooks?  Have at it.   👩‍🦼

Here is a little blurb on him:

Brooks has had a rough last few years. He tore his right Achilles in the divisional playoff loss to the Saints in January 2019. He made a remarkable return and was ready by next season’s opener. He started and played in all 16 games for a third straight season, although he did have to leave a November game early because of a panic attack.

Brooks had previously missed games with the Eagles and the Houston Texans because of his anxiety, but he has been open about his struggles and willingness to treat his condition. He returned the following week and finished out the regular season, but injured his shoulder in the finale and missed the wild-card playoff game the Eagles lost. Six months later, while training, he ruptured his other Achilles. "It’s life, stuff happens,” Brooks said in May. "I’ve seen the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows in my career, and the Achilles was just another thing that I had to overcome.”

Brooks missed all of 2020. He confirmed in the offseason a Sports Illustrated report that the Eagles had made him available to other teams in a trade. It’s likely that his contract — he’s signed through 2024 — and injuries made Brooks a hard sell. He worked feverishly to return in peak physical condition, but the Eagles felt compelled to slow play his return from an early camp hamstring strain.

Nate Herbig would be Brooks’ likely replacement in Atlanta. 

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/brandon-brooks-knee-injury-falcons-achilles-eagles-20210908.html

39 minutes ago, toolg said:

The "new Jason Peters"? I'll take that. Between 2012, when Peters tore his Achilles, and 2017, when he tore up his knee, Peters played virtually every game, was a Pro Bowler each season, All-Pro in 2013. It was after 2017 when Peters got old (35+) and gimpy, and played more sporadically.

If Brooks is out playing on the field Sunday, I'm not worried. If he's the new Peters, he's set to be All-Pro.

I meant an aging player they don't want to get rid of.  Stop living in 2017 that was 5 years ago.  They held onto Peters too long and he was a liability the last couple seasons and last year they signed him and he of course got hurt again.

Brooks still plays well when healthy, but they have him signed through 2025.  My point was about putting that much of a contract onto an aging injury prone player rather than shorter term deals.

24 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I meant an aging player they don't want to get rid of.  Stop living in 2017 that was 5 years ago.  They held onto Peters too long and he was a liability the last couple seasons and last year they signed him and he of course got hurt again.

Brooks still plays well when healthy, but they have him signed through 2025.  My point was about putting that much of a contract onto an aging injury prone player rather than shorter term deals.

Let's see what he's got left in the tank before we set him out to pasture. Brooks is super-talented and I still think he's got plenty left. He's better than leaving his position up to an inexperienced player.  I am not worried until Brooks starts missing games. 

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

We got spoiled under Chip. We were for the most part a healthy team when he was a coach, but as soon as Doug became coach it just seemed like the team could never stay healthy. 

Exactly. And so at this point we don't know what it's going to be like under Sirianni. A trend back towards the norm would be something. 

6 hours ago, Robj80 said:

it's because we swapped the smoothies for bowls of ice cream. 

Well we got a Super Bowl of Ice cream so I’m not too mad about it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

We got spoiled under Chip. We were for the most part a healthy team when he was a coach, but as soon as Doug became coach it just seemed like the team could never stay healthy. 

Its Wentz. I'm hoping he has taken his injury juju to the colts.  and based on the injuries they suffered so far it seems like it has worked..... I expect a fully healthy season 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toolg said:

Let's see what he's got left in the tank before we set him out to pasture. Brooks is super-talented and I still think he's got plenty left. He's better than leaving his position up to an inexperienced player.  I am not worried until Brooks starts missing games

I get you, I said he's a beast when healthy and he definitely has more play left in him.  My point was in signing such a long term contract.  And...he's already started missing games, he's had 2 season ending injuries back to back and is 32 years old.  I don't want to see another player they're stuck with because of contract but who is injured too often.

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

And Lane Johnson - another great player, but aging with injury troubles - has missed 25 games in the last 5 seasons.  Howie locked him up long term as well.  Great players, but should have been given shorter term contracts and keep renewing for a year or two since they have injury issues.

This is the biggest reason why Dillard failing is so frustrating. If Dillard stepped up and showed he could play the Eagles could have moved Mialata to RT and maybe then Howie doesn’t extend Johnson one more time and lock themselves into that cap nightmare. 

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

This is the biggest reason why Dillard failing is so frustrating. If Dillard stepped up and showed he could play the Eagles could have moved Mialata to RT and maybe then Howie doesn’t extend Johnson one more time and lock themselves into that cap nightmare. 

Why Mailata to RT and not Dillard? Is Dillard completely incapable at playing RT or just LT?

They signed Brooks long-term and big contract when he was playing well.  Now fast forward, he is older and has injury issues.  But that is integrated part in the contract to spread the costs over years.  If he can stay healthy and play at high level, the deal does what it supposes to do.  If not, they could trade him (unlikely for age and cap), or cut him.  What they MUST NOT do is to repeat the mistakes with Peters and Sproles, by signing him to short-term deal, hoping he can help the team.

5 minutes ago, mihailo said:

Why Mailata to RT and not Dillard? Is Dillard completely incapable at playing RT or just LT?

The last time Dillard played RT he looked real bad. The last time he showed any development was at LT. It almost feels like his stint at RT made him regress.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Procus said:

He's an All Pro when he's playing.  Without Brooks, the Eagles don't win a ring in 2017.  The guy's a beast and not easily replaced.

It is 2021.  Brooks was great in 2017, but that's no longer relevant.  Wouldn't have won without a lot of players on that team.  Including Chris Long... should he still be here too?  Corey Clement?  LaGarrette Blount?  Jay Ajayi?  Alshon Jeffery?  Patrick Robinson?   Malcolm Jenkins?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Procus said:

The issue with Brooks isn't his injury status... its his contract status.  The contract he got after the first Achilles is going to bite us... hard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Infam said:

Feels like people can't wait to use the usual phrases about guys getting hurt.. 

It's so unusual to be healthy for this team, especially the QB. :whistle:

Some injuries are going to happen every year and that's normal. I'm to the point where I don't expect anybody in the NFL to play all 17 regular season games. With concussion protocol and covid protocol, it just seems unlikely. The last few years, we have seemingly been above normal on injuries which hasn't helped the pessimists. Personally, I will always believe in the law of averages. After a few unlucky years, it's reasonable to expect some good fortune or at least an average result. 

We've had players that were injury prone as Eagles that fans had sort of given up on despite their talent. Guys like Hicks or Derrick Burgess that moved on in free agency and managed to stay healthy and produce for their new teams. Even Correll Buckhalter, who missed 3 complete seasons (2002, 2004, 2005) Played in more games than he missed (103 games played compared to 57 games missed due to injury / discipline). Troy Aikman was injury prone. He's also a HOFer. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. There aren't very many Iron men. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Some injuries are going to happen every year and that's normal. I'm to the point where I don't expect anybody in the NFL to play all 17 regular season games. With concussion protocol and covid protocol, it just seems unlikely. The last few years, we have seemingly been above normal on injuries which hasn't helped the pessimists. Personally, I will always believe in the law of averages. After a few unlucky years, it's reasonable to expect some good fortune or at least an average result. 

We've had players that were injury prone as Eagles that fans had sort of given up on despite their talent. Guys like Hicks or Derrick Burgess that moved on in free agency and managed to stay healthy and produce for their new teams. Even Correll Buckhalter, who missed 3 complete seasons (2002, 2004, 2005) Played in more games than he missed (103 games played compared to 57 games missed due to injury / discipline). Troy Aikman was injury prone. He's also a HOFer. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. There aren't very many Iron men. 

Do you remember how many games Brandon Graham missed due to injury at the beginning of his career?

2 hours ago, Procus said:

Do you remember how many games Brandon Graham missed due to injury at the beginning of his career?

He missed most of 1 season, but for several years couldn't really establish himself as a "starter." He hasn't missed very many games outside of that one season. He's a good example of why you don't cast a player away because of little to no early career production. He was clearly a "bust" in the eyes of so many fans. It's one thing when you have 4 or 5 guys ahead of a player on the depth chart and the numbers don't allow you to keep him if he can't beat them out (like Marcus Smith). But if the guy keeps winning a roster spot and is a hard worker, Graham proves that those players still can become key players later.