Jordan Mailata signs 4 year, $64 million deal

GroundAttack

2 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Edit. Found a page with the average and it puts this contract at 7th in the nfl for LT

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2021/left-tackle/average/

Well ok, I guess the article is wrong. EDIT: Ok it's about OT.

7th payed after just signing the contract. And only if you leave out the money this year..

I'd say it's a fair deal. Probably a good one after this season and with increasing cap the coming years.

Just now, Infam said:

Well ok, I guess the article is wrong.

7th payed after just signing the contract. And only if you leave out the money this year..

I'd say it's a fair deal. Probably a good one after this season and with increasing cap the coming years.

As long as he pans out. I believe in investing in the lines but I still have my questions on Mailata. I think it is a little early to reward him. Hopefully he proves me wrong

2 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

As long as he pans out. I believe in investing in the lines but I still have my questions on Mailata. I think it is a little early to reward him. Hopefully he proves me wrong

I think he will pan out. So I guess we could've waited, to then see everybody asking why we waited so long and how we now pay way too much?

12th highest OT actually sounds pretty good to me.

1 minute ago, Infam said:

I think he will pan out. So I guess we could've waited, to then see everybody asking why we waited so long and how we now pay way too much?

12th highest OT actually sounds pretty good to me.

I just have my doubts he can be a top 10 LT. 

1 minute ago, 20dawk4life said:

I just have my doubts he can be a top 10 LT. 

There are no sure things when it comes to (big) contracts. But yeah, if you feel like he isn't going to be good - that's how you see it.

I feel pretty good with Mailata, so there is that.

He was great today, it's amazing how freaking big he is, he makes the other o-linemen look like RB's.  That play where he took out the CB was just straight out nasty.  I'm surprised the CB isn't still laying there as I type this.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

He was great today, it's amazing how freaking big he is, he makes the other o-linemen look like RB's.  That play where he took out the CB was just straight out nasty.  I'm surprised the CB isn't still laying there as I type this.

On the first replay, I just saw a green blur come across the screen and absolutely removed that guy from the picture.  Poof, he's gone!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mortimer said:

On the first replay, I just saw a green blur come across the screen and absolutely removed that guy from the picture.  Poof, he's gone!

He's so big and athletic and powerful. When he's on his game he's just going to flat out dominate. He's still going to take his lumps and at times his technique may let him down but his power and strength is going to help get him out of tricky spots.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 10:41 AM, JP HOF said:

I like Mailata a lot but that deal is outrageous.

You wanna talk football, then you run away for 2 months after 2 posts.  Here you go, so far worth every penny.

7 minutes ago, Mauserbob said:

Good news. He looked really good yesterday.

Mailata comes across as if he is inspired by a contract of this magnitude and has a sense of responsibility towards it, as shown yesterday. Let's hope it just keeps on going up from here.

• Like 2

Think how much farther along/ better he would have been,  if only we could have kept him on the field last year, instead of putting Old and Crusty Peters back on the field?  

Love JM - he is gonna be a good one for a long time for us.   

7 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

Think how much farther along/ better he would have been,  if only we could have kept him on the field last year, instead of putting Old and Crusty Peters back on the field?  

And as I pointed out yesterday, by the time the meat of that deal kicks in, and others get their contracts, it will be a bargain.

1 hour ago, Ipiggles said:

That was my same issue when they took Dillard out his rookie year. We would know what we have there by now. Either way it worked out for the best cause it gave Mailata a chance the following year 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

And as I pointed out yesterday, by the time the meat of that deal kicks in, and others get their contracts, it will be a bargain.

It will only be a bargain if he’s actually good. He had a very good week 1, so he’s off to a strong start. But the point many are making is he is so unproven still, and that makes this deal a bit questionable. 

15 minutes ago, nipples said:

It will only be a bargain if he’s actually good. He had a very good week 1, so he’s off to a strong start. But the point many are making is he is so unproven still, and that makes this deal a bit questionable. 

I think we can all agree Stoutland is a bit of a legend regarding Olines. He sees a lot more of Mailata than we do and for sure knows far more than us about his potential. I doubt the signing would have been done without his input.

We see one game, Stoutland sees him all the time.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mihailo said:

I think we can all agree Stoutland is a bit of a legend regarding Olines. He sees a lot more of Mailata than we do and for sure knows far more than us about his potential. I doubt the signing would have been done without his input.

We see one game, Stoutland sees him all the time.

Just curious why do we give Stoutland all the credit for Mialata’s development, but we don’t give him any criticism for Dillard’s regression? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Just curious why do we give Stoutland all the credit for Mialata’s development, but we don’t give him any criticism for Dillard’s regression? 

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"

I have said it here before, talent will only take a player so far, at the end of the day (at the top of the profession) it is the work ethic and dedication that will take you to the next level. Oh and staying healthy also.

Stoutland now has 4 years with Mailata, when Dillard was drafted I doubt he had much time working with him to get a proper chance to gauge him as an individual and if he had the work ethic to take things further. Stoutland's foresight on the potential of Mailata is far greater than when Dillard was drafted.

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

They actually said on BwF after the game yesterday that you know what... Mailata deserves a lot of praise for his development. Yeah sure Stoutland is a great OL coach there's no question about that but let's give Mailata some credit. 

• Like 1

Just now, mihailo said:

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"

I have said it here before, talent will only take a player so far, at the end of the day it is the work ethic and dedication that will take you to the next level. Oh and staying healthy also.

Stoutland now has 4 years with Mailata, when Dillard was drafted I doubt he had much time working with him to get a proper chance to gauge him as an individual and if he had the work ethic to take things further. Stoutland's foresight on the potential of Mailata is far greater than when Dillard was drafted.

According to some people Dillard was drafted upon the approval of Stoutland so he saw something in that player too. I give Stoutland some credit for Mialata’s development, but like you mentioned here some players don’t respond well regardless. Mailata is a guy driven to be better within himself so I give him a lot of  credit for his own development too.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They actually said on BwF after the game yesterday that you know what... Mailata deserves a lot of praise for his development. Yeah sure Stoutland is a great OL coach there's no question about that but let's give Mailata some credit. 

Agreed. Stoutland personally wanted Chance Womack here and the guy stunk up the joint. Sometimes the players own work ethic is the reason why he improved. 

• Like 2

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Agreed. Stoutland personally wanted Chance Womack here and the guy stunk up the joint. Sometimes the players own work ethic is the reason why he improved. 

Exactly mate. Stoutland is a great great OL coach and he absolutely deserves credit for what he's done with Mailata. But let's give Mailata most credit for applying himself and working his backside off.

• Thanks 1