Jordan Mailata signs 4 year, $64 million deal

GroundAttack

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

I don't believe it was all just lack of talent. True some of them were really bad, but some weren't put in a position to succeed. 

Like who bud? Sorry but I just don't see why that particular situation is actually on Stoutland?

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Like who bud? Sorry but I just don't see why that particular situation is actually on Stoutland?

I'm not fully blaming Stoutland. There were other factors like poor game planning and really bad quarterback play. I thought Nate Herbig was a guy who wasn't that bad considering everything. 

I think Mailata's story is more a question of people mythologising the arcane mysteries of playing football, people think playing Offensive Tackle is some kind of rocket science, when in truth the basics are rudimentary and the advanced techniques are actually pretty easy. Mailata isn't some hick Australian who wandered in on the off chance, he was a professional sportsman in another physical sport prior to playing football who was scouted to have the potential to play football.

I think he'd be just as much or even more of a monster at DT.

8 hours ago, toolg said:

This is great stuff!  :flex:  :crazy:

Not only was it a great play and he absolutely crushes the DB but... It was great technique!

On 9/14/2021 at 3:52 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I think Mailata's story is more a question of people mythologising the arcane mysteries of playing football, people think playing Offensive Tackle is some kind of rocket science, when in truth the basics are rudimentary and the advanced techniques are actually pretty easy. Mailata isn't some hick Australian who wandered in on the off chance, he was a professional sportsman in another physical sport prior to playing football who was scouted to have the potential to play football.

I'm not going to minimize accomplishments of someone in Mailata's scenario. There are plenty of prospects with all the physical ability, athletic ability, size, and years of American football background that don't pan out at this level.

Still, there may be something to what you said. Mailata also didn't have years of bad habits, or poor technique to unlearn. He was basically a blank slate at an age in life where "learning" new things has a more mature aspect to it (when we are kids, our attitudes about learning are different). 

On 9/14/2021 at 12:52 PM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Maybe not "once in a lifetime mythical", but it's not a common story either. Everything about this gentle giant screams unusual.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Not only was it a great play and he absolutely crushes the DB but... It was great technique!

Maybe it's because he doesn't have years of old coaching and outdated techniques to forget. 

Anyway, it's good to see him out there pancaking guys and making plays!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Infam said:

Maybe not "once in a lifetime mythical", but it's not a common story either. Everything about this gentle giant screams unusual.

Yeah but how many times has it been tried, the reason Mailata is a story is because he's the only international pathway graduate on the offensive line.

The whole pathway program is a bizarre way to find talent in non competitive European football, signing 29 year old Receivers to practice squads, I'm amazed they don't look harder at Southern Hemisphere and top end European Rugby, it would be far easier to find younger better prospects than signing a 28 year old stand out tailback for the Helsinki Honkwangers of the Finnish Gridiron league.

On 9/13/2021 at 2:29 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

I made these points yesterday. Dillard has the talent but, not the mind set. Mailata has the talent and the mind set. Stoutland should still get a good bit of credit for Mailata though. I don't care what Mailata mindset is he still.never played football before someone had to teach him how to play it correctly. 

He didn't have bad habits to unlearn though which has to help. It can be hard to forget the first thing you learned, even if it was wrong. Stoutland got a blank slate to work with.

• Like 1

Heard a rumor that the Bears have been asking about Dillard. Now that Mialata and Lane are basically locked up for multiple season he doesn’t really have a place. If they can get something for him they should. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Heard a rumor that the Bears have been asking about Dillard. Now that Mialata and Lane are basically locked up for multiple season he doesn’t really have a place. If they can get something for him they should. 

No question about it. If they could get a fifth for him I think they probably should take it. Not sure they even get that though to be honest. 

50 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No question about it. If they could get a fifth for him I think they probably should take it. Not sure they even get that though to be honest. 

Yeah I don’t know how you create a market for a guy who basically doesn’t play. I hope they don’t look at it as a loss. Basically Mialata turned out to be the 1st round talent and not Dillard. If they get a 5th for Dillard it’s like saying the 7th invested in Mialata was a win. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah I don’t know how you create a market for a guy who basically doesn’t play. I hope they don’t look at it as a loss. Basically Mialata turned out to be the 1st round talent and not Dillard. If they get a 5th for Dillard it’s like saying the 7th invested in Mialata was a win. 

I think that's the way to look at it now. I guess it doesn't matter what rounds you find talent as long as you find talent? Though it's still a mark against Howie that he got a first round pick so wrong. 

27 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think that's the way to look at it now. I guess it doesn't matter what rounds you find talent as long as you find talent? Though it's still a mark against Howie that he got a first round pick so wrong. 

I think Dillard is still worth more to us than a 5th..he didnt look good or like it but I think he can provide depth as a swing tackle. we have the luxury of jordan allowing us to spend more time trying to develop Dillard without having to spend more resources outsourcing a lt and with stoutland I like the odds of bringing him along if he has the motivation. Seems like a longshot at this point but if Dillard can figure it out...that gives us flexibility to do a number of things next year on the online. Early on the coaching staff has shown they can get creative and utilize everybody. We could have Dickerson and dillard in there in some sets. And super bold for now but see any trick plays for jordan m. At te?

34 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I see it as a missed opportunity. You expect to hit on your 1st and 2nd rounds, and less as each round passes. 6th and 7th seem to be better high risk high reward scenarios. So when you hit its huge, and it boosts what you already have from the first round

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skitoe said:

I see it as a missed opportunity. You expect to hit on your 1st and 2nd rounds, and less as each round passes. 6th and 7th seem to be better high risk high reward scenarios. So when you hit its huge, and it boosts what you already have from the first round

I guess the point is... They took Dillard in the first and Mailata in the seventh, but ultimately Mailata has gone on to earn himself the long term deal and Dillard may be on his way out at some point. They got their starter which is the main thing but yes I do agree. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I guess the point is... They took Dillard in the first and Mailata in the seventh, but ultimately Mailata has gone on to earn himself the long term deal and Dillard may be on his way out at some point. They got their starter which is the main thing but yes I do agree. 

Agree that the main thing is we seem to have found our franchise lt...funny how things work out sometimes

• Like 2

I'm not quite ready to give up on dilliard or call him a bust just yet. He has underwhelmed forsure but I think Sirianni is onto something in trying to build his confidence. He has the physical attributes..just seems a little weak minded almost like he doesnt know he has the talent. Dawg mentality..I hate to be so optimistic so early but I love the position the eagles are in on a wide spectrum...

Call me a homer...cause I am. I'm not sensitive

On 9/14/2021 at 6:52 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Nah. Playing OL absolutely requires a ton of intelligence and understanding of the game. It’s not just technique, which requires a lot of reps and practice, but also the ability to read defenses and understand what they’re trying to do. What Jordan has accomplished is remarkable. 

Also not sure what being a hick has to do with anything. "Hicks” make for a lot of really great football players — especially offensive lineman.

Time to earn that extension big guy! Today is the true test on the blindside.😎