DeVonta Smith (Alabama WR) -- DRAFTED BY EAGLES #10!

HazletonEagle

On 1/9/2021 at 6:41 AM, PoconoDon said:

Smith's build reminds me of Pinkston. It's a concern.

I said something similar about Smith and everyone jumped all over me. There’s a few exceptions, (Harrison & Steve Smith) but most #1 elite WR’s have size. (TO, Rice, Moss, Irvin, Hopkins, Metcalf, Adams, Julio). 

• Like 1

Smith looks like the most polished route runner in the WR class, catches naturally with his hands, has good enough speed to dominate the college ranks.  The concern I have in addition to his 175 lbs is that he’s not elusive, doesn’t make many people miss.  Even in his highlights he takes a few heavy shots.  Getting hit like that by NFL safeties and linebackers makes me concerned about his durability 

20 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Plus they don't need a deep threat guy. Well they may do but they brought Reagor in for that and Watkins flashed a little. They need a reliable receiver for the QB.

Taking Waddle over Smith/Chase would also make it seem like they were saying drafting Reagor was a mistake.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Taking Waddle over Smith/Chase would also make it seem like they were saying drafting Reagor was a mistake.

Sure, if playing an X and a Y is your only vision of a working offense. I can see an offense with Reagor and Waddle on the outside working just fine though.

That said, Smith is the best WR this draft. So would rather draft him.

26 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

And would mean passing on 2 better WRs.

10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And would mean passing on 2 better WRs.

That statement is not going to age well. :whistle:

Lets just draft Smith at 6 and everyone can be happy.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Infam said:

That statement is not going to age well. :whistle:

Lets just draft Smith at 6 and everyone can be happy.

It probably won't no. What I can say is... if Howie takes one of those 3 (or any WR in the first or second round) it'll be the wrong one. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It probably won't no. What I can say is... if Howie takes one of those 3 (or any WR in the first or second round) it'll be the wrong one. 

I want to both laugh and cry at that statement! 😢😄

14 hours ago, Infam said:

Sure, if playing an X and a Y is your only vision of a working offense. I can see an offense with Reagor and Waddle on the outside working just fine though.

That said, Smith is the best WR this draft. So would rather draft him.

I’d be totally fine with Waddle and Reagor combo. It’s just that both are billed as elite speed guys and taking a guy like that in back to back years in the first might give off that perception. I’d be ok with any of those 3

To no ones surprise, Smith is torching everybody he lines up against tonight. Including the much heralded Shaun wade.

11 for 173 and 2 tds. 

in the first half. 

and the first half ain’t even over. 

I’ll say it again, the best WR in this draft discussion is closer than people think.

now it will be hard for me to see Chase being drafted before Smith

3 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

I’ll say it again, the best WR in this draft discussion is closer than people think.

now it will be hard for me to see Chase being drafted before Smith

He just scored again. 

I have a feeling he won't make it to 6 either with Miami picking at 3. 

I’d be fine with either. 

Chase was killing everybody just like Smith is this year. 

and another td to smith. 

over 200 yards and 3 tds. 

in the first half. 

Just now, EricAllenPick6 said:

If this guy is available at 6, we need to get him.  He’s a stud.  

Going to be tough. 

On 1/9/2021 at 8:54 AM, PoconoDon said:

Smith is 6'1" and 174. Pretty close.

Also, he is getting free releases in college. He's going to get CBs right up on him in the pros. In college football many of these CBs are going to be selling insurance.  Is he going to be strong enough to beat the jam? I'm not saying he can't. But, it's an unknown. His size isn't built for punishment. But, he is producing like crazy.  I can't fault a team for gambling on him based on the production.  But, if you take him, you better have good coaches that can scheme him to get free releases.

7 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Also, he is getting free releases in college. He's going to get CBs right up on him in the pros. In college football many of these CBs are going to be selling insurance.  Is he going to be strong enough to beat the jam? I'm not saying he can't. But, it's an unknown. His size isn't built for punishment. But, he is producing like crazy.  I can't fault a team for gambling on him based on the production.  But, if you take him, you better have good coaches that can scheme him to get free releases.

He doesn’t need free releases. He is good getting off jam at LOS. Most teams won’t do it because if you miss it’ll the jam it’s 6. Watch his games. Not everything is free release

but yes in the pros it will be a lot tougher but don’t discount his ability to get off LOS. His footwork is insane

1 minute ago, CaliEagle said:

The starting cbs for OSU are going to the pros. Shaun Wade will be a first round draft pick. 

smith is torching them. 

He is absolutely TORCHING the Buckeyes. Him and Chase look better than every first round WR taken last year compared to their final college years. 

Just now, The Holy Vagabond said:

The starting cbs for OSU are going to the pros. Shaun Wade will be a first round draft pick. 

smith is torching them. 

True.  But, he still is getting free releases. Most WRs in college get free releases.  So, if someone is a scout, they have to try to judge whether or not he is going to have trouble with press.. If we had Doug here still, I wouldn't probably want to gamble on him because Doug and our offensive coaches do a pretty  lousy job of scheming WRs open. If we were to get a guy like Daboll in here, then I know he could design plays to get Smith and smaller WRs open.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

True.  But, he still is getting free releases. Most WRs in college get free releases.  So, if someone is a scout, they have to try to judge whether or not he is going to have trouble with press.. If we had Doug here still, I wouldn't probably want to gamble on him because Doug and our offensive coaches do a pretty  lousy job of scheming WRs open. If we were to get a guy like Daboll in here, then I know he could design plays to get Smith and smaller WRs open.

I doubt if Smith will be here either. There's no way he'll make it to the 6th pick in the draft.

4 minutes ago, eaglegenius said:

I doubt if Smith will be here either. There's no way he'll make it to the 6th pick in the draft.

It could be close.  QBs and OT are always more valued positions high in the draft.  Lawrence and Fields are definitely top 5 picks. Sewell is a top 5 pick. There are many teams that need QBs, so teams might move up for a couple of the other ones as the draft gets closer.  If you were to ask me now, I would say right now you are probably right. But, as the draft gets closer, I think QBs value will go higher.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Holy Vagabond said:

I’d be fine with either. 

Chase was killing everybody just like Smith is this year. 

and another td to smith. 

over 200 yards and 3 tds. 

in the first half. 

Chase has never touched anyone like Smith has done this year. Smith was a stud last year as well alongside Juedy and Ruggs