DeVonta Smith (Alabama WR) -- DRAFTED BY EAGLES #10!

HazletonEagle

1 hour ago, nipples said:

It goes both ways. People complain about choosing raw ability over production when it comes to Jefferson vs Reagor, but then you’ve got situations like JJAW who in college had for more production than Metcalf. 

Sadly, we’ve been on the losing end of both cautionary tales.  We get the wrong production guy and the wrong raw ability guy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Sadly, we’ve been on the losing end of both cautionary tales.  We get the wrong production guy and the wrong raw ability guy.

That’s because we have no clue what we are doing. Just like everything else, we oscillate from one end of the spectrum to the other. 

• Like 3

I see way too many mocks having the Eagles skip on Smith. Kyle Pitts and any other defender in the draft does not have more value than Smith. But we are working with Howie Roseman. He will look to outsmart the league. Maybe the Eagles draft Kyle Trask at 6 because Howie loves his character.

26 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

I see way too many mocks having the Eagles skip on Smith. Kyle Pitts and any other defender in the draft does not have more value than Smith. But we are working with Howie Roseman. He will look to outsmart the league. Maybe the Eagles draft Kyle Trask at 6 because Howie loves his character.

The people who are expecting Smith, Chase, and Pitts all to go top 10 are going to be in for a rude awakening. All 3 have massive question marks. I wouldn’t be surprised if only Smith gets taken. 

26 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

The people who are expecting Smith, Chase, and Pitts all to go top 10 are going to be in for a rude awakening. All 3 have massive question marks. I wouldn’t be surprised if only Smith gets taken. 

I'd agree all 3 to go top 10 is unlikely. I mean at least 2 QBs go and it could be 3. There will no doubt be a CB or 2 to go. A LB and a DL and I would imagine 1 or 2 OL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtfcares said:

I don’t recall any massive question marks for chase or pitts especially.  If you’re referring to speed for both then I wouldn’t call that ma. et

5 hours ago, Milkman420 said:

I don’t recall any massive question marks for chase or pitts especially.  If you’re referring to speed for both then I wouldn’t call that ma. et

Chase hasn’t played football in over a year. There isn’t going to be an official combine. There is definitely going to be question marks about his condition/development in the last year. 

Pitts is more complete but I would still question how he would fit given his lack of speed as a WR, and toughness as a TE. 

17 hours ago, wtfcares said:

Just curious, outside of Trevor Lawrence and maybe Fields. Which other prospects dont have massive question marks?

Zach Wilson - 1 year of great production

Penei Sewell - Opted out of 2020 season

Micah Parsons - Opted out of 2020 season

Devonta Smith - Size?

Ja' Marr Chase - Opted out of 2020 season. 1 great year of production

Rashawn Slater - Size to play tackle in NFL?

Mac Jones - What can he do with average talent around him?

Caleb Farley - Opted out of 2020 season

Kyle Pitts - Does he have the toughness to be a complete TE?

Patrick Surtain - Great front 7 at bama. Ball Skills?

Gregory Rousseau - Opted out of 2020 Season

Jaylen Waddle - Ankle Injury

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wtfcares said:

Chase hasn’t played football in over a year. There isn’t going to be an official combine. There is definitely going to be question marks about his condition/development in the last year. 

Pitts is more complete but I would still question how he would fit given his lack of speed as a WR, and toughness as a TE. 

I guess we will just agree to disagree. I look at the opt outs as guys not wanting to risk injury and protect their draft status.  I look at the ones who played as guys who were trying to improve their draft stock or come back from injury and prove they still have it (Moses). Speed has been proven as overrated on plenty of occasions. Give me the guy who at 19 drew the number one cb while the number 2 covered the best rookie we last year.  Give me the guy who didn’t drop a pass all year and is able to be used like a Swiss Army knife all over the field whether te or wr.  He’s not megatron that’s what everyone has decided to compare him to but he is a weapon nonetheless a weapon that’s a te who can be lined up out wide.  Megatron was a wideout all the way. So they won’t run 4.3 but both are 4.5 which is plenty fast enough with their physicality to create separation at the next level.  Picking players based off speed gets you Reagor/Ruggs when you could of had Jefferson.  

6 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Just curious, outside of Trevor Lawrence and maybe Fields. Which other prospects dont have massive question marks?

Zach Wilson - 1 year of great production

Penei Sewell - Opted out of 2020 season

Micah Parsons - Opted out of 2020 season

Devonta Smith - Size?

Ja' Marr Chase - Opted out of 2020 season. 1 great year of production

Rashawn Slater - Size to play tackle in NFL?

Mac Jones - What can he do with average talent around him?

Caleb Farley - Opted out of 2020 season

Kyle Pitts - Does he have the toughness to be a complete TE?

Patrick Surtain - Great front 7 at bama. Ball Skills?

Gregory Rousseau - Opted out of 2020 Season

Jaylen Waddle - Ankle Injury

Out of that list, I’m not worried about Parsons, Pitts, or Surtain.  Pitts was a decent blocker  against SEC teams, not perfect he’s not a killer but his hands and size to me make him can’t miss, if he doesn’t average close to 800 yards a year with 10-12tds, the coach is an idiot.
 Parsons is an animal, he’s the only guy who took a year off that shouldn’t worry anyone, he’s a football player, he knows where to be, and when to be there, he has great football instincts. 
 Surtain has been playing corner his whole life, he wasn’t switched from WR in college, he’s a  good not great tackler and relies on his speed a bit much, but like Parsons he’s a football player, high football IQ, again knowing where the ball is going. He’s a safety at worst, and likely a good one. 

On 1/29/2021 at 3:15 AM, eagle45 said:

Overrating production at the highest level is how you end up picking Jordan Matthews

When I say production at the highest level I mean producing at an elite programme and in the highest level of competition in college football, Jefferson and Smith have both done it in big programmes and brought their A game to the biggest games, you shouldn't ignore all that because Reagor ran a better 40 time or some guy put up gaudy numbers of garbage yards playing for a college team that got it's ass kicked every week but has a better BMI according to an article on the internet.

If we'd have picked Jefferson last year and he'd flopped, it would've been a hell of a lot more forgiveable than not picking Jefferson when everyone and his college record said you should and picking Reagor and watching him have an underwhelming year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

When I say production at the highest level I mean producing at an elite programme and in the highest level of competition in college football, Jefferson and Smith have both done it in big programmes and brought their A game to the biggest games, you shouldn't ignore all that because Reagor ran a better 40 time or some guy put up gaudy numbers of garbage yards playing for a college team that got it's ass kicked every week but has a better BMI according to an article on the internet.

If we'd have picked Jefferson last year and he'd flopped, it would've been a hell of a lot more forgiveable than not picking Jefferson when everyone and his college record said you should and picking Reagor and watching him have an underwhelming year.

What is it with the Reagor hate? I bet he will be a good receiver for us.

33 minutes ago, Infam said:

What is it with the Reagor hate? I bet he will be a good receiver for us.

Almost every other receiver picked in the first two rounds put up more yards and or scores, and the guy we should have picked put up the most receiving yards by a rookie in history.

Maybe Reagor does come good, but his rookie numbers look very ordinary for a guy who started 11 games with no one else of any quality or health at his position to steal targets.

6 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Maybe Reagor does come good, but his rookie numbers look very ordinary for a guy who started 11 games with no one else of any quality or health at his position to steal targets.

It is a worry for sure but I don't think the previous coaches helped him. They didn't seem to know how to use him or how to get him in better situations.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It is a worry for sure but I don't think the previous coaches helped him. They didn't seem to know how to use him or how to get him in better situations.

Agreed! Especially as a big Reagor fan, I expect him to make a big jump in season 2. Hopefully he is put in better situation and we have a QB that can throw with some accuracy

• Like 2

16 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Agreed! Especially as a big Reagor fan, I expect him to make a big jump in season 2. Hopefully he is put in better situation and we have a QB that can throw with some accuracy

It's so hard to make any kind of judgement/evaluation on any of our young players because of so many factors: on offense bad scheme that was not only uncreative and predictable but rarely was designed around the strengths of our players, poor QB play for most of the year, and it just seemed like poor coaching overall (based on a complete lack of player development).  I too am looking forward to seeing what Reagor can do now.  And have to wonder if the changes will benefit JJAW as well.  

I think at this point just about a massive majority of Eagles fan nation would be thrilled if its Smith, Chase or even Pitts(In a Mike Evans role). I'd even throw in Sewell in there. I think most, key word is most feel you cant go too wrong with one of those guys at 6.

On 2/1/2021 at 4:04 PM, wtfcares said:

Massive question marks?  I can understand you saying that regarding Smith and his frame but there are no question marks with Chase.   The only question mark regarding Pitts is whether to play him at TE, WR or both.  

2 hours ago, psychodog said:

Massive question marks?  I can understand you saying that regarding Smith and his frame but there are no question marks with Chase.   The only question mark regarding Pitts is whether to play him at TE, WR or both.  

Chase hasn’t played football in over a year. Add that to the fact that there won’t be an official combine, and I think teams are going to have MAJOR question marks about how ready he will be to play in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, wtfcares said:

Chase hasn’t played football in over a year. Add that to the fact that there won’t be an official combine, and I think teams are going to have MAJOR question marks about how ready he will be to play in the NFL. 

Respectfully disagree.  Chase will easily be a top 10 pick regardless of taking this past season off.  Teams are not going to be thinking he's a "MAJOR" question mark.

• Like 1

I like Waddle better, especially since hitting in the NFL is illegal now

On 2/6/2021 at 5:23 AM, time2rock said:

And have to wonder if the changes will benefit JJAW as well.  

Hey! Get you're own shtick!

• Haha 1