The Eagles have the biggest problem a franchise can have-a clueless owner

Sack that QB

Let's look back at the recent history of Jeff Lurie

He was prepared to offer Gus Bradley(who ended up being a horrendous head coach) the coaching job until last minute Chip Kelly called him back and he hired Chip.

He gave Chip Kelly the GM powers after a power struggle with Howie.

Chip then proceeded to cut one of the best WRs in franchise history in DeSean Jackson and trade arguably the best RB in franchise history in McCoy, and Lurie approved it.

Then when it was obvious the decision was a disaster, he fires Chip, and gives the job back to Howie.

He then pursues Adam Gase as his top coaching candidate, but Gase goes to Miami. Gase ended up being a total disaster.

His next target was Ben McAdoo, who they got very close to hiring, but went back to the Giants and ended up being a complete moron as well.

He settles for one of their lesser desired choices, in Doug Pederson. They win a Super Bowl.

He begins meddling in things like free agency and draft.

He tells Doug Pederson he's staying, and then a week or so later changes course and decides to fire him after forcing him to change coaches and those new coaches still not working out, and asking him to change his coaching staff again.

They get a late head start to the coaching search, are turned down by Lincoln Riley and Brian Daboll and have to settle for like their 10th or 11th choice in coaches who wasn't even on their radar when they first started the search.

And he has a press conference at the beginning of the offseason to excuse Howie's draft failures by saying "The guys he wanted were taken right before us."

There's several columns that come out every year that break down the dysfunction of the front office among people around the league who either still work for or have worked within the Eagles. There's in-fighting among the personnel department. There was the Carson Wentz drama that started after drafting a backup QB in the second round. Every year, it's drama all the time.

I like Jeff Lurie and what he's done as Eagles owner, but it's plainly clear this guy is beyond lost right now. I don't know how anyone could trust his judgement on anything at the moment. Evaluating Howie, evaluating a new GM even if he were to fire Howie. Evaluating coaches. Evaluating how to structure his personnel department. He's a total mess, and until he figures it out, the organization will be a mess as well.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:

He was prepared to offer Gus Bradley(who ended up being a horrendous head coach) the coaching job until last minute Chip Kelly called him back and he hired Chip.

Chip then proceeded to cut one of the best WRs in franchise history in DeSean Jackson and trade arguably the best RB in franchise history in McCoy, and Lurie approved it.

Then when it was obvious the decision was a disaster, he fires Chip, and gives the job back to Howie.

He then pursues Adam Gase as his top coaching candidate, but Gase goes to Miami. Gase ended up being a total disaster.

His next target was Ben McAdoo, who they got very close to hiring, but went back to the Giants and ended up being a complete moron as well.

He settles for one of their lesser desired choices, in Doug Pederson. They win a Super Bowl.

He tells Doug Pederson he's staying, and then a week or so later changes course and decides to fire him after forcing him to change coaches and those new coaches still not working out, and asking him to change his coaching staff again.

They get a late head start to the coaching search, are turned down by Lincoln Riley and Brian Daboll and have to settle for like their 10th or 11th choice in coaches who wasn't even on their radar when they first started the search.

And he has a press conference at the beginning of the offseason to excuse Howie's draft failures by saying "The guys he wanted were taken right before us."

There's several columns that come out every year that break down the dysfunction of the front office among people around the league who either still work for or have worked within the Eagles. There's in-fighting among the personnel department. There was the Carson Wentz drama that started after drafting a backup QB in the second round. Every year, it's drama all the time.

I like Jeff Lurie and what he's done as Eagles owner, but it's plainly clear this guy is beyond lost right now. I don't know how anyone could trust his judgement on anything at the moment. Evaluating Howie, evaluating a new GM even if he were to fire Howie. Evaluating coaches. Evaluating how to structure his personnel department. He's a total mess, and until he figures it out, the organization will be a mess as well.

Let's add the fact that Lurie has say in what plays and schemes are being called on the field. 

Lurie relies on each new coach to provide the philosophy & identity. And that changes each time, and players have to adjust or they have to find players to fit the new scheme.

Instead, a team should have a GM that sets the philosophy & identity, and EVERY coaching hire and player acquired is evaluated against that philosophy & criteria. So if you have to change coaches it's easier to step in and have players that already fit what you want to do because it comes from the top down.

Howie gets "themes" for drafts like speed, or finding clones of existing players, or height or high character.  He's doesn't know how to evaluate talent or draft. 

Recently Lurie has been meddling and he doesn't know what he's doing either. Just sign the checks and let the personnel people do their job.

50 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Let's add the fact that Lurie has say in what plays and schemes are being called on the field. 

I was just listening to the post game podcast with Farzetta and he was saying how after the game vs Green Bay in 19 Lurie was peppering Doug with questions about why they were running so much. Since when has he ever been like that? 

One of the best things about Lurie being the owner, at least I assumed this anyway, was that he left the on the field stuff to the football guys. Maybe that whole fiasco with Chip gave him trust issues. Whatever the reason for his meddling, it's no wonder this team has been and continues to be a dumpster fire.

• Like 1

I’ve come to loathe Lurie about as much as I do Howie.  We are so screwed with the 2 of those clowns at the very top of this organization.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I’ve come to loathe Lurie about as much as I do Howie.  We are so screwed with the 2 of those clowns at the very top of this organization.  

Siri hasn't been great but, when the owner is forcing you to be 1 dimensional with a QB that isn't very good at that dimension you are not going to be able to do much with your playbook. 

10 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Siri hasn't been great but, when the owner is forcing you to be 1 dimensional with a QB that isn't very good at that dimension you are not going to be able to do much with your playbook. 

IDIOT

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ShutDownDB said:

One of the best things about Lurie being the owner, at least I assumed this anyway, was that he left the on the field stuff to the football guys. Maybe that whole fiasco with Chip gave him trust issues. Whatever the reason for his meddling, it's no wonder this team has been and continues to be a dumpster fire.

You wonder whether the Chip thing plus the SB ring gave Lurie an impression that he really knows his stuff and should be very hands on. I actually think if you look at it the Chip Kelly situation was partly his own making and there was a lot of good luck and fortune around the SB victory. 

Lurie needs to step back, replace Howie and let this franchise restart. 

12 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

I agree with you Lurie is lost this team gas no direction .

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You wonder whether the Chip thing plus the SB ring gave Lurie an impression that he really knows his stuff and should be very hands on. I actually think if you look at it the Chip Kelly situation was partly his own making and there was a lot of good luck and fortune around the SB victory. 

Lurie needs to step back, replace Howie and let this franchise restart. 

Indeed.  I'd also add ... keep his nose out of the football decisions (how much they should be passing vs running the ball, who they should be targeting in the draft, etc.).  If there is ANY truth to those (I tend to believe they are), then he is a complete arseclown.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Indeed.  I'd also add ... keep his nose out of the football decisions (how much they should be passing vs running the ball, who they should be targeting in the draft, etc.).  If there is ANY truth to those (I tend to believe they are), then he is a complete arseclown.  

And it’s a shame too because not that long ago, he was a very good owner. His head got too big after the Super Bowl. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, time2rock said:

I completely agree. I'll even go as far to say I loathe Lurie more than Howie. Howie is just doing Luries bidding to a T. Lurie has become a meddler. 

• Like 1

This is the price Philly has to pay for the Super Bowl, I guess. Lurie and Howie think they can do no wrong after that, and all they have done is wrong, instead of winning becoming the norm around here. Or at least competence. I'm grateful for an Eagles Super Bowl win in my and my kids lifetimes, but you would think they would have taken what they learned and continued to at least be smart about what they are doing. They learned how to win it all, and then forgot it overnight? It's hard for me to watch them make weird choices, hire weird coaches, and just regress so far, so fast. Gannon looks like he can adjust his thinking, Siri looks like a clown. Hopefully, sanity finds it's way back to Philly someday soon.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

They learned how to win it all, and then forgot it overnight?

I wouldn't say they learned how to win... This is more like the squirrel that can't see that great tripped over a nut and it saved his life for one winter then couldn't find another and died. 

• Haha 1