The Eagles have the biggest problem a franchise can have-a clueless owner

Sack that QB

6 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

The team simply wasn't prepared to lose their coaching staff after year 2. Then it all went to their heads and they didn't know how to replace even the coaches . Like I've said that super bowl was the greatest thing ever but, it was also a curse that brought us to where we are today

I think a big part of that was that Doug wasn't very good at hiring staff. He wanted to promote his own guys (and I get the logic) but it just didn't work out. I don't think he picked Schwartz and I don't think he picked Reich either. They were given to him because I think they wanted to give Doug some experience at coordinator. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think a big part of that was that Doug wasn't very good at hiring staff. He wanted to promote his own guys (and I get the logic) but it just didn't work out. I don't think he picked Schwartz and I don't think he picked Reich either. They were given to him because I think they wanted to give Doug some experience at coordinator. 

There was rumors flying around that they wanted to fire Reich after the first season and Doug talked them out of it.  The front office don't know what the F they are doing either. They should of just let Doug do his thing because like I said it's not like the FO knows either. After all Doug didn't have a losing season until they made him deal with 40 offensive coordinators after not eating to go forward with Doug's guys. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

There was rumors flying around that they wanted to fire Reich after the first season and Doug talked them out of it.  The front office don't know what the F they are doing either. They should of just let Doug do his thing because like I said it's not like the FO knows either. After all Doug didn't have a losing season until they made him deal with 40 offensive coordinators after not eating to go forward with Doug's guys. 

So rumors are now facts?

13 minutes ago, Vee said:

So rumors are now facts?

No, that's why I said rumors in the first sentence. The rest was my opinion based off of those rumors. 

23 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

No, that's why I said rumors in the first sentence. The rest was my opinion based off of those rumors. 

I can’t say I remember the Reich rumors, but it is clear they forced Doug to make changes to his coaching staff before his final season. We also know they hired his DC before they even hired him so the FO clearly meddles in the coaching staff. We also know that Sirianni couldn’t even tell us if he ran the 53 man roster. The FO has way too much power and meddle way too much. On top of that it sounds like Lurie’s son is a member of the analytics department who both Doug and Sirianni have let slip are actually in his ear during games. How can any coach really focus with all of this meddling going on around him. If Sirianni goes back to the nonsense he was doing all those weeks before against the Charges to me it’s obvious the FO started meddling once again. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

I can’t say I remember the Reich rumors, but it is clear they forced Doug to make changes to his coaching staff before his final season. We also know they hired his DC before they even hired him so the FO clearly meddles in the coaching staff. We also know that Sirianni couldn’t even tell us if he ran the 53 man roster. The FO has way too much power and meddle way too much. On top of that it sounds like Lurie’s son is a member of the analytics department who both Doug and Sirianni have let slip are actually in his ear during games. How can any coach really focus with all of this meddling going on around him. If Sirianni goes back to the nonsense he was doing all those weeks before against the Charges to me it’s obvious the FO started meddling once again. 

Exactly, like I said we can't say for sure this is what is or was going on. All signs point to their being some truth here one way or another. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

https://www.audacy.com/sports/nfl/pederson-helped-stop-eagles-from-firing-reich-after-2016

With each passing day, we learn more about what caused the relationship between the Philadelphia Eagles and Doug Pederson to sour to the point that they fired the head coach just three years after he guided the franchise to their first Super Bowl title.

One point of contention appears to have been interference from the front office - and potentially ownership - on who should be in key roles on Pederson's coaching staff. Apparently that started long before any discussions about whether Press Taylor should become the offensive coordinator.

Rob Maaddi of The Associated Press reports that "two people with direct knowledge" have told him that Pederson lobbied for the team to keep Frank Reich as offensive coordinator after a mixed bag of a first season in 2016. Maaddi says that management's preference was to fire Reich

Here you go

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 9:58 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Exactly, like I said we can't say for sure this is what is or was going on. All signs point to their being some truth here one way or another. 

Sometimes you have to read between the lines. In the beginning of 2017 Pederson was on the hot seat according to some. There was reports by Lombardi that Schwartz was going to take his job and he was strutting around like he owned the place. Funny Schwartz was their hand picked guy and he basically lied and said he wanted to leave football and then immediately jumped to another team. He potentially had a chance to be coach hear, but wanted no part of dealing with this organization anymore. People keep wanting to make excuses and trash all of the sources, but what remains as a catalyst for all this drama is Lurie, Roseman, Smolenski, and the analytics department. These people haven’t really changed so they very much are involved in what is going on. 

There are always reports of dysfunction and drama with the front office. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

There are always reports of dysfunction and drama with the front office. 

There wasn't much in 2017 though. That's an interesting coincidence to me. Oh well, no true GM, probably no more SB wins.

maybe it's going to take years of the same before a paradigm shift happens..

maybe Lurie will FINALLY ask himself why no coach with any sort of pedigree wants any part of his team...why the work environment is so toxic...

funny that during the Reid years we all ridiculed the Skins and Cowboys for having a meddling owner who let his ego get in the way...and now....

Hell, even Jerry Jones finally put HIS ego in check and let the football guys do the job they were hired for..and as such he has slowly and methodically built a formidable team...as distasteful as that if for us...

It's almost like the Chip Kelly experience prompted Howie to ensure that his authority would never be challenged ever again...by anyone...lest they be fired as well....

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

There wasn't much in 2017 though. That's an interesting coincidence to me. Oh well, no true GM, probably no more SB wins.

Winning covers it up then it surfaces.

• Like 1

Hopefully Lurie and his analytic nerds now realizes they don't know a damn thing about football, those clowns were poo-pooing the run game based on freaking analytics. 

Thinking about the current state of this team is depressing.  The dysfunction of Lurie and Roseman has no end in sight.  Andy Reid...until he lost his mind...is really who must have held this organization together during his time here and truly established a culture that got many of us used to winning and/or being competitive every year.  Ever since he left...even though we now have a Lombardi...this organization has been dysfunctional.

And we are going to be entering the most important offseason for this franchise in a long, long time.  Somehow, I just know Roseman is gonna blow our first round draft capital on either Russell Wilson, who will be 33 going on 34 next year, or for a first round QB who will probably out-of-reach just enough to where we have to package our picks to move up.  I know QB is the most important thing...but...I'd be more inclined to use 3 first round picks on Defense and roll one more year with Hurts. 

• Like 2

would be nice...but Lurie and Howie are like Pavlov's dog when it comes to drafting...they are almost conditioned to go Offense in round one..and usually OT..which in itself is never a bad plan...the PROBLEM occurs when the #2 WR is on the board and the #1 FS is on the board....then they will always go Offense

While on defense...Howie seems to never want to draft anything but DT/DE in the first couple of rounds....and usually those guys are "reaches" or "developmental" or "Project"..never a guy who can get plugged in right away

On 10/15/2021 at 7:24 PM, Sack that QB said:

Let's look back at the recent history of Jeff Lurie

He was prepared to offer Gus Bradley(who ended up being a horrendous head coach) the coaching job until last minute Chip Kelly called him back and he hired Chip.

He gave Chip Kelly the GM powers after a power struggle with Howie.

Chip then proceeded to cut one of the best WRs in franchise history in DeSean Jackson and trade arguably the best RB in franchise history in McCoy, and Lurie approved it.

Then when it was obvious the decision was a disaster, he fires Chip, and gives the job back to Howie.

He then pursues Adam Gase as his top coaching candidate, but Gase goes to Miami. Gase ended up being a total disaster.

His next target was Ben McAdoo, who they got very close to hiring, but went back to the Giants and ended up being a complete moron as well.

He settles for one of their lesser desired choices, in Doug Pederson. They win a Super Bowl.

He begins meddling in things like free agency and draft.

He tells Doug Pederson he's staying, and then a week or so later changes course and decides to fire him after forcing him to change coaches and those new coaches still not working out, and asking him to change his coaching staff again.

They get a late head start to the coaching search, are turned down by Lincoln Riley and Brian Daboll and have to settle for like their 10th or 11th choice in coaches who wasn't even on their radar when they first started the search.

And he has a press conference at the beginning of the offseason to excuse Howie's draft failures by saying "The guys he wanted were taken right before us."

There's several columns that come out every year that break down the dysfunction of the front office among people around the league who either still work for or have worked within the Eagles. There's in-fighting among the personnel department. There was the Carson Wentz drama that started after drafting a backup QB in the second round. Every year, it's drama all the time.

I like Jeff Lurie and what he's done as Eagles owner, but it's plainly clear this guy is beyond lost right now. I don't know how anyone could trust his judgement on anything at the moment. Evaluating Howie, evaluating a new GM even if he were to fire Howie. Evaluating coaches. Evaluating how to structure his personnel department. He's a total mess, and until he figures it out, the organization will be a mess as well.

I think it's more like the OP is clueless than the owner.  Lurie by far, and it's not even close, has had the best ownership tenure of any owner or ownership group of the team since its inception.  The OP, on the other hand, has always been a kook.

On 11/8/2021 at 3:01 PM, Procus said:

I think it's more like the OP is clueless than the owner.  Lurie by far, and it's not even close, has had the best ownership tenure of any owner or ownership group of the team since its inception.  The OP, on the other hand, has always been a kook.

Yeah I don’t think OP is arguing that Lurie isn’t the greatest owner in Eagles history heck technically Howie Roseman is the greatest GM in history too, but that doesn’t mean that Lurie needs to keep doing things they way he is right now, nor does Howie being the greatest GM ever mean that he should never be fired. 

I didn't think it was that hard to differentiate between someone being clueless now and someone having always been clueless, but apparently for some people, it is.

People can lose their way and go from very good at their jobs, to not so good at their jobs. This isn't complicated.

On 11/8/2021 at 3:01 PM, Procus said:

Personally, I think they may have gotten rid of Jackson at the right time.  I was more shocked when they brought him BACK.  That's the part of the story the OP should be griping about.  That was sad.

It was a really well run organization, but let's not undervalue the trades Howie made that really built them a Super Bowl.  That ended up buying Howie a few more years of (blind) faith.  I think that tank should be empty about now...let's hope they do the right thing with the draft.

I'm still bitter we have Reagor instead of Jefferson....

• Like 1