The Eagles have the biggest problem a franchise can have-a clueless owner

Sack that QB

I just remembered in one of his press conferences,  he said "I don't know much about Jonathan Gannon" and "I told Howie we have to go get Jonathan Gannon!" in the same press conference. I'm paraphrasing the two quotes, but it was something very similar.

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

Indeed.  I'd also add ... keep his nose out of the football decisions (how much they should be passing vs running the ball, who they should be targeting in the draft, etc.).  If there is ANY truth to those (I tend to believe they are), then he is a complete arseclown.  

Absolutely. It is never good when owners meddle. Look at Dullarse under Jones!

Bad fans would be a bigger problem, and when we're a problem, we're a bigger problem. 

Teams can always get a new owner. 

Anyway, no one who remembers Norman Braman hates Lurie. We're 237-198 since he bought the team, including some of the best years in the history of the franchise. Yes, it's a mess right now, but the two men most responsible for the mess are Doug and Wentz, and they're gone. Maybe Howie belongs up there with them, but I haven't heard anything but speculation about anything Howie is supposed to have done, and I know a lot of people hate him for things having nothing to do with Eagles football.

We'll see if Lurie can get us back to winning or not, but one thing I know for sure is that he cares about the Eagles winning more than most of the whiners in here do. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wyote said:

Bad fans would be a bigger problem, and when we're a problem, we're a bigger problem. 

Teams can always get a new owner. 

Anyway, no one who remembers Norman Braman hates Lurie. We're 237-198 since he bought the team, including some of the best years in the history of the franchise. Yes, it's a mess right now, but the two men most responsible for the mess are Doug and Wentz, and they're gone. Maybe Howie belongs up there with them, but I haven't heard anything but speculation about anything Howie is supposed to have done, and I know a lot of people hate him for things having nothing to do with Eagles football.

We'll see if Lurie can get us back to winning or not, but one thing I know for sure is that he cares about the Eagles winning more than most of the whiners in here do. 

Braman was just so, so awful.

I look at it like this - Lurie made the Eagles relevant, they have had a winning record since he took over and they have won a Super Bowl. He can do whatever he wants for the next few years for all I care. I got to see the Eagles win a Super Bowl before I die.

On a side note I think all this Lurie is meddling stuff complete hogwash dreamed up by the silly Philadelphia Sports Media to get the fan base all riled up. It was most likely a quote taken out of context and has now become lore, just like the moronic Gold Standard garbage from years ago.

1 minute ago, pallidrone said:

Braman was just so, so awful.

I look at it like this - Lurie made the Eagles relevant, they have had a winning record since he took over and they have won a Super Bowl. He can do whatever he wants for the next few years for all I care. I got to see the Eagles win a Super Bowl before I die.

On a side note I think all this Lurie is meddling stuff complete hogwash dreamed up by the silly Philadelphia Sports Media to get the fan base all riled up. It was most likely a quote taken out of context and has now become lore, just like the moronic Gold Standard garbage from years ago.

Exactly. Like manipulating kindergartners. 

Lurie definitely has earned a little credit in my book too. 

I'm sure all the Lurie meddling stories sourced through multiple people and reporters are all made up to "rile up the fans"

Where do you people come up with this crap lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

I'm sure all the Lurie meddling stories sourced through multiple people and reporters are all made up to "rile up the fans"

When asked for his opinion on the "establish the run" wisdom that often comes up in broadcasts, Lurie straight-up rolled his eyes, per Kapadia:

"'What's the right way to say this?' [Lurie] asks himself out loud. "It's just not a truthful way of reporting based on all the information we now have. OK? That's sort of a nice way to say it.'"

Lurie finally said what analytics experts and statisticians have been screaming for decades.

Right here is the quote from Lurie what's to twist about that? Nothing. Siri came from a team that was pretty balanced and had a good 2 back system and now all of a sudden he doesn't want to run like ever?

It had to come from somewhere, why on earth would a rookie coach think it's a good idea to pass 90% of the time with a struggling QB and an injured oline. Siri might be over his head but, you are out of your minds if you don't think he is being asked to do so to this extent. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 6:05 PM, NOTW said:

Lurie relies on each new coach to provide the philosophy & identity. And that changes each time, and players have to adjust or they have to find players to fit the new scheme.

Instead, a team should have a GM that sets the philosophy & identity, and EVERY coaching hire and player acquired is evaluated against that philosophy & criteria. So if you have to change coaches it's easier to step in and have players that already fit what you want to do because it comes from the top down.

Howie gets "themes" for drafts like speed, or finding clones of existing players, or height or high character.  He's doesn't know how to evaluate talent or draft. 

Recently Lurie has been meddling and he doesn't know what he's doing either. Just sign the checks and let the personnel people do their job.

See, this I disagree with. I think the vision and values should definitely come from either the owner or the GM, however, I believe the philosophy, scheme, game-planning, etc. should be the Head Coach. I believe in Talent Scouts and what not, but I think the HC should have the most say in who makes the team. Not, "here's your players, now coach them."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnB said:

See, this I disagree with. I think the vision and values should definitely come from either the owner or the GM, however, I believe the philosophy, scheme, game-planning, etc. should be the Head Coach. I believe in Talent Scouts and what not, but I think the HC should have the most say in who makes the team. Not, "here's your players, now coach them."

Things evolve, but for example if you're a 4-3 defense then change to 3-4 then back to 4-3 again, you not only ask your players to keep changing but need to turnover the roster.

6 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Things evolve, but for example if you're a 4-3 defense then change to 3-4 then back to 4-3 again, you not only ask your players to keep changing but need to turnover the roster.

true, but that's where a HC, if need of new DC, needs to promote within, or hire the best DC he can that fits his existing scheme, and just add small nuances here and there. Evolve slowly over time, I guess.

On 10/16/2021 at 7:37 AM, Talonblood said:

This is the price Philly has to pay for the Super Bowl, I guess. Lurie and Howie think they can do no wrong after that, and all they have done is wrong, instead of winning becoming the norm around here. Or at least competence. I'm grateful for an Eagles Super Bowl win in my and my kids lifetimes, but you would think they would have taken what they learned and continued to at least be smart about what they are doing. They learned how to win it all, and then forgot it overnight? It's hard for me to watch them make weird choices, hire weird coaches, and just regress so far, so fast. Gannon looks like he can adjust his thinking, Siri looks like a clown. Hopefully, sanity finds it's way back to Philly someday soon.

This sounds a lot like how Jerry is/was when he won 3 Super Bowls. Looks like curse has been lifted off of Cowboys and onto Eagles. Cowboys won in NE today. Years past, they'd lose games like these. Eagles might become like those Cowboys. Eagles fired their Super Bowl coach like Cowboys did to Jimmy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gameshowfan91 said:

This sounds a lot like how Jerry is/was when he won 3 Super Bowls. Looks like curse has been lifted off of Cowboys and onto Eagles. Cowboys won in NE today. Years past, they'd lose games like these. Eagles might become like those Cowboys. Eagles fired their Super Bowl coach like Cowboys did to Jimmy.

I'll settle for Siri balancing out the offense game plans, the D woking hard to be better, and the penalties getting cleaned up. Siri worries me- he seems to not care about what everyone but HIM can see- you need a running game mixed in. THAT bother me, because if he refuses to see it, it won't get fixed. He MUST fix it, and we better see signs of it in the next game, not 4 weeks down the line.

On 10/15/2021 at 7:24 PM, Sack that QB said:

I like Jeff Lurie 

I've never liked him since the "Well, we'll see' reply when asked about retaining Randall, that showed me he was football ignorant.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 5:05 PM, Sack that QB said:

So let me see what I should believe

The owner of the Philadelphia Eagles for the past 27, who has allowed his football personnel to run the franchise and make decisions (like letting Dawkins go) that he necessarily did not agree with and was behind them almost to a fault, decided that after winning a Super Bowl on his 70th year of living on this earth, that he should directly get involved in the game plan and how the offense runs. The the same guy that had one of the first analytics departments back in the 90's all of the sudden decided - "I know better then my coaches and everyone else and I will force my philosophy down their throats" 

OR

The Philadelphia Sports media knows that the fan base is rabid and knows that this is going to be a lost year, so to keep the fans attention, they take some quotes and half ass article written by Jeff McLane about Julian Lurie, without a single person that he wrote about in the article even speaking to him, and ran with it, knowing that the best way to keep fans listening and clicking on their articles is to create controversy.

2 hours ago, pallidrone said:

So let me see what I should believe

The owner of the Philadelphia Eagles for the past 27, who has allowed his football personnel to run the franchise and make decisions (like letting Dawkins go) that he necessarily did not agree with and was behind them almost to a fault, decided that after winning a Super Bowl on his 70th year of living on this earth, that he should directly get involved in the game plan and how the offense runs. The the same guy that had one of the first analytics departments back in the 90's all of the sudden decided - "I know better then my coaches and everyone else and I will force my philosophy down their throats" 

OR

The Philadelphia Sports media knows that the fan base is rabid and knows that this is going to be a lost year, so to keep the fans attention, they take some quotes and half ass article written by Jeff McLane about Julian Lurie, without a single person that he wrote about in the article even speaking to him, and ran with it, knowing that the best way to keep fans listening and clicking on their articles is to create controversy.

It's more like

Jeff Lurie is getting older and less patient, the Super Bowl got to his head and in addition he's getting bad advice from the wrong people that has culminated into him making terrible decisions as an owner.

You threw the game plan stuff in there, I never mentioned the game plan, but I do think he's involved more heavily in roster decisions now than he was.

Far more likely than Jeff McLane just making stuff up because he wants to rile up a fan base.

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:

It's more like

Jeff Lurie is getting older and less patient, the Super Bowl got to his head and in addition he's getting bad advice from the wrong people that has culminated into him making terrible decisions as an owner.

You threw the game plan stuff in there, I never mentioned the game plan, but I do think he's involved more heavily in roster decisions now than he was.

Far more likely than Jeff McLane just making stuff up because he wants to rile up a fan base.

Jeff McLane didn't make anything up. He wrote an article filled with conjecture and opinions which could easily be manipulated to imply that Lurie is meddling. He made a ton of opiniated statements on both Jeff and Julian Lurie, Roseman, Pederson and Halaby without getting a single one of the them to comment on it.

I said game plan not because you said it, but because it is now making the rounds that the reason why Siri is not running the ball is because he is being coerced by Lurie into passing more because of all things, analytics. The one thing that Jeff McLane wrote about back on September 9th and the quotes that people keep regurgitating back since.

What I believe is that Lurie gets involved when he needs to get involved, just like he has always done, just like any good owner would do. This guy has taken a crappy franchise and turned them into a perennial winner, by sticking with people that got him there, staying out of the way and getting involved when necessary.

We are all now suppose to believe that he has become stupid, that he is just taking all this bad advice, running his franchise into the ground and is now incapable of making a good decision? 

Sorry but I have a very hard time believing that.

3 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Jeff McLane didn't make anything up. He wrote an article filled with conjecture and opinions which could easily be manipulated to imply that Lurie is meddling. He made a ton of opiniated statements on both Jeff and Julian Lurie, Roseman, Pederson and Halaby without getting a single one of the them to comment on it.

I said game plan not because you said it, but because it is now making the rounds that the reason why Siri is not running the ball is because he is being coerced by Lurie into passing more because of all things, analytics. The one thing that Jeff McLane wrote about back on September 9th and the quotes that people keep regurgitating back since.

What I believe is that Lurie gets involved when he needs to get involved, just like he has always done, just like any good owner would do. This guy has taken a crappy franchise and turned them into a perennial winner, by sticking with people that got him there, staying out of the way and getting involved when necessary.

We are all now suppose to believe that he has become stupid, that he is just taking all this bad advice, running his franchise into the ground and is now incapable of making a good decision? 

Sorry but I have a very hard time believing that.

People make mistakes and make bad choices. People have egos and sometimes allow those egos to get in the way of success. I don't see why this is so hard to believe. It's just a part of being human. He's capable of making good decisions, but he's going through a rough stretch. Don't see why it's so hard to believe that he's a little lost right now.

I still think Lurie is a good owner, he saved the franchise from some horrible owners of the past like Braman.  He used to stay out of the football decisions, if reports are true that in recent years he's been "meddling" that's not good.

If he would just get rid of Howie and get a GM that is good at the primary aspect of the job which is draft and personnel then he could sit back again and count his money.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I still think Lurie is a good owner, he saved the franchise from some horrible owners of the past like Braman.  He used to stay out of the football decisions, if reports are true that in recent years he's been "meddling" that's not good.

If he would just get rid of Howie and get a GM that is good at the primary aspect of the job which is draft and personnel then he could sit back again and count his money.  

That's where I am. I haven't always been fed up with Lurie, but this team just seems different since the Super Bowl.

26 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

That's where I am. I haven't always been fed up with Lurie, but this team just seems different since the Super Bowl.

Colin Cowherd (sometimes he's a jerk but sometimes makes good points too) said it perfectly:  the Eagles are like a person that won the lottery and didn't know how to handle it and went broke.  Howie got exec of the year for making trades and free agent signings, they erected a statue after winning 1 Super Bowl (then got rid of the 2 guys on the statue!).  The players were full of themselves and would start slow and for several years in a row have to "fight" with their "backs against the wall."  We heard that speech like 3 years in a row.  How about not getting in that position and being prepared and stay hungry?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

Colin Cowherd (sometimes he's a jerk but sometimes makes good points too) said it perfectly:  the Eagles are like a person that won the lottery and didn't know how to handle it and went broke.  Howie got exec of the year for making trades and free agent signings, they erected a statue after winning 1 Super Bowl (then got rid of the 2 guys on the statue!).  The players were full of themselves and would start slow and for several years in a row have to "fight" with their "backs against the wall."  We heard that speech like 3 years in a row.  How about not getting in that position and being prepared and stay hungry?

Exactly. It's a perfect summary.

17 minutes ago, NOTW said:

This is exactly how I think it is. Unfortunately the data he is trusting doesn't seem extensive enough to be reliable or the data is misinterpreted. Probably sees the efficiency of passing over running and believes running can just go out the window.

27 minutes ago, NOTW said:

This is where I'm a broken record. I've been saying it ever since they won the super bowl that it was like a gift and a curse. They won so soon and had to turnover the coaching staff after year 2. None of them knew how to function or deal with winning cause none of them expected it. Instead of working towards another one they just all thought they were the cats pajamas and could do no wrong. 

On 10/15/2021 at 8:58 PM, Philthy Jawn said:

You forgot drafting JJAW.

Right, because his son (our future owner) liked him.  

Lurie needs to get his wits and hire a top notch football consultant who will look at his operation from top to bottom.  Unfortunately the only way to fix this is a complete tear down.

A clueless owner can have successful teams as long as they understand they are clueless and surround themselves with the right people who can make good decisions. I think Lurie knew this during his early (AR) years and played the role of student. I think sometime after the AR years Lurie started to believe that maybe he (the student) had surpassed the teachers (coaches) which was further solidified when we won the SB. I believe Lurie considers himself a teacher now, and not a student. That could be why we have what appears to be such top heavy decision making. This sort of (de)evolution happens all of the time in business. Whether it's a CEO, executive team or a worker that has been around a long time and has seen success., ego's start to take over.  That's when new or differing ways of thinking begin to be met with skepticism and innovation gets stifled.

• Like 1