The Eagles have the biggest problem a franchise can have-a clueless owner

Sack that QB

1 hour ago, Thing3 said:

A clueless owner can have successful teams as long as they understand they are clueless and surround themselves with the right people who can make good decisions. I think Lurie knew this during his early (AR) years and played the role of student. I think sometime after the AR years Lurie started to believe that maybe he (the student) had surpassed the teachers (coaches) which was further solidified when we won the SB.

Sounds like you may be right about Lurie thinking he's the teacher, they only way he's getting away with it is by hiring first time HC's, Ray Rhodes, AR, Chip Kelly, Doug Pederson and now Sirianni.  Apparently he doesn't realize how important experience is when it comes to NFL coaches, those kids he has coaching the Eagles are not NFL caliber coaches, hell, they're not even college coaches.

As far as the SB validating him, it didn't, he didn't learn a damn thing from the victory, if he did he'd tell the jackarse to get some big backs on the team and fix that damn defense.

22 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yes he was.  

I see what it is you did there

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 6:16 PM, NOTW said:

Colin Cowherd (sometimes he's a jerk but sometimes makes good points too) said it perfectly:  the Eagles are like a person that won the lottery and didn't know how to handle it and went broke.  Howie got exec of the year for making trades and free agent signings, they erected a statue after winning 1 Super Bowl (then got rid of the 2 guys on the statue!).  The players were full of themselves and would start slow and for several years in a row have to "fight" with their "backs against the wall."  We heard that speech like 3 years in a row.  How about not getting in that position and being prepared and stay hungry?

Didn't Doug also write a book right after the SB season.  Perfectly summarized.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:37 AM, Talonblood said:

This is the price Philly has to pay for the Super Bowl, I guess. Lurie and Howie think they can do no wrong after that, and all they have done is wrong, instead of winning becoming the norm around here. Or at least competence. I'm grateful for an Eagles Super Bowl win in my and my kids lifetimes, but you would think they would have taken what they learned and continued to at least be smart about what they are doing. They learned how to win it all, and then forgot it overnight? It's hard for me to watch them make weird choices, hire weird coaches, and just regress so far, so fast. Gannon looks like he can adjust his thinking, Siri looks like a clown. Hopefully, sanity finds it's way back to Philly someday soon.

These things happen to ego driven owners. Jerry Jones basically let his ego run the Cowboys into the ground since the 90s. He finally let some smart football people in the building and the Cowboys started drafting better. Sadly I don’t know how long it will take before Lurie wakes up and stops meddling, but if he’s anything like Jones we will be doomed for a very long time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, manz2821 said:

Didn't Doug also write a book right after the SB season.  Perfectly summarized.

Yep, good point. 

13 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

These things happen to ego driven owners. Jerry Jones basically let his ego run the Cowboys into the ground since the 90s. He finally let some smart football people in the building and the Cowboys started drafting better. Sadly I don’t know how long it will take before Lurie wakes up and stops meddling, but if he’s anything like Jones we will be doomed for a very long time. 

Let smart football people in the building? Pretty sure his son has always been in the building lol. He is just allowed to do stuff now. Supposedly Luries kid is running the antalyics department that is leading to all this glorious passing. So no I'd prefer Lurie not do what the Cowboys did. 

On 10/18/2021 at 7:16 PM, NOTW said:

Colin Cowherd (sometimes he's a jerk but sometimes makes good points too) said it perfectly:  the Eagles are like a person that won the lottery and didn't know how to handle it and went broke.  Howie got exec of the year for making trades and free agent signings, they erected a statue after winning 1 Super Bowl (then got rid of the 2 guys on the statue!).  The players were full of themselves and would start slow and for several years in a row have to "fight" with their "backs against the wall."  We heard that speech like 3 years in a row.  How about not getting in that position and being prepared and stay hungry?

Exactly.  I've been saying for the past few years that they achieved an ounce of success and couldn't help but to start smelling themselves.  "New norm".  "Gold standard".  Blah blah blah.  With those at the top of the organization acting that way, it's no wonder they went right into the tank.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Let smart football people in the building? Pretty sure his son has always been in the building lol. He is just allowed to do stuff now. Supposedly Luries kid is running the antalyics department that is leading to all this glorious passing. So no I'd prefer Lurie not do what the Cowboys did. 

I wish Lurie got back to when he first brought the team, because he let a lot of smart football people into the organization back then and since he’s basically let them all walk away. It’s to the point now where no football minds want any part of the Eagles organization now. The ones that are left just seem muted by Jeff, Howie, and the analytics department. Then you hear about an occasional reach out to Reid for some kind of advice. There used to be NFL lifers in the Eagles FO. Now it just feels like the Jeff and Howie ish show. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

I wish Lurie got back to when he first brought the team, because he let a lot of smart football people into the organization back then and since he’s basically let them all walk away. It’s to the point now where no football minds want any part of the Eagles organization now. Theyones that are left just seem muted by Jeff, Howie, and the analytics department. Then you hear about an occasional reach out to Reid for some kind of advice. There used to be NFL lifers in the Eagles FO. Now it just feels like the Jeff and Howie ish show. 

Yeah I'm kind of getting sick of the going to Reid for advice on players. He wasn't exactly great at picking players either. The core of that Chiefs offense was put together mainly by Dorsey and even now Reid has to go through Veech and Veech and Reid  have to answer to their president. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yeah I'm kind of getting sick of the going to Reid for advice on players. He wasn't exactly great at picking players either. The core of that Chiefs offense was put together mainly by Dorsey and even now Reid has to go through Veech and Veech and Reid  have to answer to their president. 

It’s so annoying hearing about Reid coming up in nearly every decision they seem to be making in some way. It’s time for them to step up and move on from Reid. The Eagles FO just feels like it was the Highlander Series. Howie killed off other the others. He’s the only one left. 😂🤣😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s so annoying hearing about Reid coming up in nearly every decision they seem to be making in some way. It’s time for them to step up and move on from Reid. The Eagles FO just feels like it was the Highlander Series. Howie killed off other the others. He’s the only one left. 😂🤣😂

If they want to keep going back to the Reid well so much they shouldn't have fired him then! The morons lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

If they want to keep going back to the Reid well so much they shouldn't have fired him then! The morons lol

Exactly!

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 9:05 PM, NOTW said:

Lurie relies on each new coach to provide the philosophy & identity. And that changes each time, and players have to adjust or they have to find players to fit the new scheme.

Great. So now we have playcalling on a high school level... by  masters of rock-paper-scissors.

On 10/15/2021 at 7:24 PM, Sack that QB said:

Let's look back at the recent history of Jeff Lurie

He was prepared to offer Gus Bradley(who ended up being a horrendous head coach) the coaching job until last minute Chip Kelly called him back and he hired Chip.

He gave Chip Kelly the GM powers after a power struggle with Howie.

Chip then proceeded to cut one of the best WRs in franchise history in DeSean Jackson and trade arguably the best RB in franchise history in McCoy, and Lurie approved it.

Then when it was obvious the decision was a disaster, he fires Chip, and gives the job back to Howie.

He then pursues Adam Gase as his top coaching candidate, but Gase goes to Miami. Gase ended up being a total disaster.

His next target was Ben McAdoo, who they got very close to hiring, but went back to the Giants and ended up being a complete moron as well.

He settles for one of their lesser desired choices, in Doug Pederson. They win a Super Bowl.

He begins meddling in things like free agency and draft.

He tells Doug Pederson he's staying, and then a week or so later changes course and decides to fire him after forcing him to change coaches and those new coaches still not working out, and asking him to change his coaching staff again.

They get a late head start to the coaching search, are turned down by Lincoln Riley and Brian Daboll and have to settle for like their 10th or 11th choice in coaches who wasn't even on their radar when they first started the search.

And he has a press conference at the beginning of the offseason to excuse Howie's draft failures by saying "The guys he wanted were taken right before us."

There's several columns that come out every year that break down the dysfunction of the front office among people around the league who either still work for or have worked within the Eagles. There's in-fighting among the personnel department. There was the Carson Wentz drama that started after drafting a backup QB in the second round. Every year, it's drama all the time.

I like Jeff Lurie and what he's done as Eagles owner, but it's plainly clear this guy is beyond lost right now. I don't know how anyone could trust his judgement on anything at the moment. Evaluating Howie, evaluating a new GM even if he were to fire Howie. Evaluating coaches. Evaluating how to structure his personnel department. He's a total mess, and until he figures it out, the organization will be a mess as well.

This is a one star thread.  Lurie has his problems as an owner, but he is anything but clueless.

• Like 1

Admit I didn't read this whole thread, and I'm not a Lurie-lover, but:

He bought the team in 1994 for $195 million (almost all of it financed), and this year Forbes has their value listed at $3.8 billion. I wish I was so clueless.

• Like 1

On top of this, Lurie is a "woke" owner.  He cares more about empathy and kindness than to have a competent football mind running his front office operations and a leader of men to rally and drive his players.  Therefore, we get a wimpy accountant who never played a down of football as GM, and a circus clown who can't coach a middle school football team.

12 hours ago, Big___Al said:

Admit I didn't read this whole thread, and I'm not a Lurie-lover, but:

He bought the team in 1994 for $195 million (almost all of it financed), and this year Forbes has their value listed at $3.8 billion. I wish I was so clueless.

That is quite a tidy sum. 

My brother Randolph and I were once aflush with such grand wealth.   Then he had to bet it all on frozen concentrated orange juice commodites.

• Haha 1

Perhaps the owner finally let these coaches do their jobs rather than force them to only do what the analytics department makes them do. 

On 10/17/2021 at 9:39 PM, EagleVA said:

I've never liked him since the "Well, we'll see' reply when asked about retaining Randall, that showed me he was football ignorant.

Football ignorant is ok for a football owner as long as they hire the right guys to run the team. Lurie hasn’t done that with Banner and Howie. 

Lurie needs to find the right GM, then step back and let them handle football operations. Instead, he found Howie. I think Roseman has a lot of value working the Front Office, but he also seems very polarizing. 

18 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Football ignorant is ok for a football owner as long as they hire the right guys to run the team. Lurie hasn’t done that with Banner and Howie. 

I disagree. I think Banner and Reid had a good thing going. It's a shame they never won a Super Bowl. They got close a lot. But all good things come to an end sometime.

7 minutes ago, toolg said:

Lurie needs to find the right GM, then step back and let them handle football operations. Instead, he found Howie. I think Roseman has a lot of value working the Front Office, but he also seems very polarizing. 

I disagree. I think Banner and Reid had a good thing going. It's a shame they never won a Super Bowl. They got close a lot. But all good things come to an end sometime.

Banner and Howie are the same guy. Both smart guys, good negotiators, good with numbers but terrible at identifying talent. AR was the guy who picked the talent and made the personnel decisions. That’s what Howie needs. Where I think Banner fell short was re-signing guys over 30. That was his unwritten rule- don’t sign guys north of 30. While it’s not a terrible rule, there has to be some exceptions. I mean Brian Dawkins should’ve retired as an Eagle. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Banner and Howie are the same guy. Both smart guys, good negotiators, good with numbers but terrible at identifying talent. AR was the guy who picked the talent and made the personnel decisions. That’s what Howie needs. Where I think Banner fell short was re-signing guys over 30. That was his unwritten rule- don’t sign guys north of 30. While it’s not a terrible rule, there has to be some exceptions. I mean Brian Dawkins should’ve retired as an Eagle. 

C'mon. I'd love to have seen Dawk in Eagle green to the very end, but he was in the twilight of his career. How many times does this happen? Tom Brady isn't even on the Patriots anymore.

I agree Howie needs someone that understands talent and personnel. And somebody that can work with him. I think that's where he falls short; nobody seems to be able to work alongside him.

5 minutes ago, toolg said:

C'mon. I'd love to have seen Dawk in Eagle green to the very end, but he was in the twilight of his career. How many times does this happen? Tom Brady isn't even on the Patriots anymore.

I agree Howie needs someone that understands talent and personnel. And somebody that can work with him. I think that's where he falls short; nobody seems to be able to work alongside him.

Dawk played 3 more seasons and made the Pro Bowl in 2 of them. Sure, he was at the end of his career but just like the Yankees let Jeter finish out his career, the Eagles should’ve resigned Dawk. 

As for Brady, he played for the Pats well into his 40’s and it looks like they made a mistake by letting him go. 

• Like 1