Who has the best cheesesteak in Philly?

Mlodj

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Fleet wood Mac?  

BTW.  Golden is my favorite breed.  And I’m busting your jobs Holmes.   Watch out for the ghey boy statement.  Some posters (not me) get sensitive when you use that term and will call you a homophobe.  At least they will in the Blog.  

And they get one of these

CD0F7E29-0DD6-4433-A13D-DE7458310150.gif

22 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Watch out for the ghey boy statement.  Some posters (not me) get sensitive when you use that term and will call you a homophobe.  At least they will in the Blog.  

Don't even mention somebody's mom there.  It's like putting catsup on a cheesesteak.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Mlodj said:

Don't even mention somebody's mom there.  It's like putting catsup on a cheesesteak.

Your mom put her catsup on my long roll!!!

bah!!! Nasty mom joke :flex:!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mlodj said:

catsup on a cheesesteak.

Quote of the Day | Dead Homer Society

On 4/30/2020 at 8:33 AM, BirdsFanBill said:

My favorite was Dalessandro's, but havent had it in a few years so might have changed. Lately Ive been ordering the Tiger Steak (steak, chicken, bacon) from Masterpiece Grill here in Conshohocken, pretty solid. 

My current favorite though is the Triple Prime Cheesesteak at the Pepper Mill out in West Chester, PA. Love it there.

Dalessandro's sold and has new owners - the last time I went there it was slow, yet they had a giant pile of overcooked meat on the grill.  It was gross.

I just moved out of Conshy and Masterpeace was good, but weren't on any of the delivery apps.  They're probably the best in Conshy. (Although the place that was there before they opened used to use Liscios rolls and Masterpeace switched to Conshohocken Bakery, which are too doughy)

Lenny's Deli on Fayette used to have awesome cheesesteaks, but they have new owners and the rolls aren't as good.

I moved to Willow Grove this month and have been ordering from Lee's, which is better than anything I had in my past 7 years living in Conshy

yeah I'd be weary if I went into a place that was slow and had meat like that waiting. its like Chinese buffet, if you're gonna chance it, make sure its busy AF.

I have steves around the corner from me, so im pretty much set for my taste.

ironically ill be making cheesesteaks on the griddle for dinner tonight.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

yeah I'd be weary if I went into a place that was slow and had meat like that waiting. its like Chinese buffet, if you're gonna chance it, make sure its busy AF.

I have steves around the corner from me, so im pretty much set for my taste.

ironically ill be making cheesesteaks on the griddle for dinner tonight.

I grew up in Northeast Philly, pretty much in the middle between ****'s (now Joe's) and Steve's.  There was also a place called Frusco's back in the late 90's that had pretty good steaks on Frankford Ave.

I think they just opened a Tony Luke's somewhere in Mayfair, last I heard. 

Just now, iladelphxx said:

I grew up in Northeast Philly, pretty much in the middle between ****'s (now Joe's) and Steve's.  There was also a place called Frusco's back in the late 90's that had pretty good steaks on Frankford Ave.

I think they just opened a Tony Luke's somewhere in Mayfair, last I heard. 

I grew up in olney so we had to travel a lil to get a "great" steak sammich. The pat's near us on the boulevard was, well, horrible. but yeah, I have had frusco's and still go by ****'s. the best we had near us IMO was stoxys by burholme park. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mike's South Philly BBQ has a good brisket cheesesteak.

Has to be viewed like the Schmitter from McNally's - a specialty steak. Not a traditional sammy but very delicious. I hope they survive COVID.

• 3 weeks later...

For an out-of-towner (out-of-country, really) I feel like I've had quite a few different cheesesteaks, but still lacking the awesome "hole in the wall" experience.

IMO, from the places I've ate at, I'd rank it:

John's (It's in South Philly, I think they specialize in roaster pork) > Tony Luke's > Chickie & Pete's > Pat's > Geno's

14 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Hole in the wall.  Cosmi's Deli.  

Damn. Looking through pics online has me all :drool:

I'll have to give it a shot the next time I'm in Philly for a birds game... whenever the F that will be.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah.  They take the time to chop and incorporate the cheese as they chop it.  

Definitely on my list for next time.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 1:45 PM, Dawkins 20 said:

Damn. Looking through pics online has me all :drool:

I'll have to give it a shot the next time I'm in Philly for a birds game... whenever the F that will be.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/joes-steaks-soda-shop-philadelphia-3

This place is like stepping back in time to the 50's - milkshake/soda bar, jukeboxes at the booth and an amazing sandwich.

Plus, they usually have cute 20-something girls in tank tops cooking the steaks and working the counter.

The neighborhood has gone downhill, but you should be good during the day.  (They also have a Fishtown location, but I would rather stick with the original if you want the hole in the wall experience.)

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 2:46 PM, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah.  They take the time to chop and incorporate the cheese as they chop it.  

that's how we make ours at the tailgates.

On 4/21/2020 at 10:53 AM, Mlodj said:

John's Roast Pork.  :flex:

Oh ya

12 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Never been to Chinks.  I heard it was good.   

It's very good, and it feels like a time capsule. Cheap, too. I can't believe I never bought a shirt before they caved and changed the name. I used to always talk about it when we went there. I spent a good deal of time in the Mayfair/Torresdale area growing up since my grandmother and brother lived there. In other news, they recently had to shut down because an employee came down with Corona 😞

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 5:25 PM, Dawkins 20 said:

John's (It's in South Philly, I think they specialize in roaster pork) > Tony Luke's > Chickie & Pete's > Pat's > Geno's

I made the mistake of ordering a "sharp" cheesesteak at John's thinking it meant sharp cheddar.
It was asiago or some other insanely sharp cheese that should only be eaten in slivers.
Tasted toxic.

I'll go back but never order "sharp" again.

• Haha 1

How the F has nobody mentioned Jim's on South Street?  My wife has celiacs disease, and the 1 time she came back home to Philly with me, I didn't give a F and I made her watch me eat my cheesesteak, provolone, without.  Jim's is way better than Geno's or Pat's (although I like them both).  I've never been to John's, but it sounds like I really need to next time I'm home.  

Random hole in the wall cheesesteak place/story.  One of my best friends went to Widener, and the exit to get there was off of McDade Blvd right before the airport on the blue route.  There was this random sheethole convenient store called Liberty right off the exit.  Next to Liberty was the beer distributor.  When I came home from college during the summer, I would go party with him out there all the time, and we would start off the night by crushing a cheesesteak from Liberty and picking up a pony keg next door.  It's better than any cheesesteak you'll get anywhere outside of Philadelphia.  As good as Geno's or Pat's.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 9:50 PM, hputenis said:

How the F has nobody mentioned Jim's on South Street?  My wife has celiacs disease, and the 1 time she came back home to Philly with me, I didn't give a F and I made her watch me eat my cheesesteak, provolone, without.  Jim's is way better than Geno's or Pat's (although I like them both).  I've never been to John's, but it sounds like I really need to next time I'm home.  

Random hole in the wall cheesesteak place/story.  One of my best friends went to Widener, and the exit to get there was off of McDade Blvd right before the airport on the blue route.  There was this random sheethole convenient store called Liberty right off the exit.  Next to Liberty was the beer distributor.  When I came home from college during the summer, I would go party with him out there all the time, and we would start off the night by crushing a cheesesteak from Liberty and picking up a pony keg next door.  It's better than any cheesesteak you'll get anywhere outside of Philadelphia.  As good as Geno's or Pat's.  

Jim's is in the same category of Pat's and Geno's - overrated tourist traps.

Ishkabbiles across the street is better, and they also invented the chicken cheesesteak

On 7/13/2020 at 9:50 PM, hputenis said:

It's better than any cheesesteak you'll get anywhere outside of Philadelphia.  As good as Geno's or Pat's.  

steve's has a location outside of philly and is much, much better than either of those places. 

On 7/30/2020 at 2:27 PM, iladelphxx said:

Jim's is in the same category of Pat's and Geno's - overrated tourist traps.

Ishkabbiles across the street is better, and they also invented the chicken cheesesteak

On 7/30/2020 at 3:09 PM, Alpha_TATEr said:

steve's has a location outside of philly and is much, much better than either of those places. 

Well Shit GIFs | Tenor

just to be clear, not saying liberty isnt any good, cant say as i havent tried one, just pointing out that steve's is better than pats or genos. 

and btw - eventhough i think genos and pats are overrated, doesnt mean i wouldnt eat one of theirs sammys. 

mj-618_348_anthony-bourdain-tktktk-teaser.jpg.ec13004d25e9f70d00b554ec5de98b8e.jpg

I went after the show aired, good joint but not the best.... take my advice, light onions.... or else