Who has the best cheesesteak in Philly?

Mlodj

54 minutes ago, Gannan said:

I can't do the whiz 🤮

GETTING CHECKED ANALLY HELPS PREVENT THIS ISSUE.

HappyLateArthropods-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

The only time I do whiz is during the "I need food at 2am" phase.

Other than that my go to cheese is provolone, sharp provolone if you have it.

not a big fan of provolone on a cheesesteak. on a roast pork sammy ? hell yeah, and  the sharper the better. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

not a big fan of provolone on a cheesesteak. on a roast pork sammy ? hell yeah, and  the sharper the better. 

Provolone if you're adding tomato sauce is nice. 

• 1 month later...

Provolone cheese melts just right without getting too greasy or goopy. I like how mild provolone (nutty, sweet) complements the taste of the cheesesteak (savory, salty). American cheese is ok, it's blander, but I never like whiz. I prefer sharper provolone on a roast pork. Because the meat is milder, sharp provolone cuts right through it.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, toolg said:

Provolone cheese melts just right without getting too greasy or goopy. I like how mild provolone (nutty, sweet) complements the taste of the cheesesteak (savory, salty). American cheese is ok, it's blander, but I never like whiz. I prefer sharper provolone on a roast pork. Because the meat is milder, sharp provolone cuts right through it.

i'm all american cheese BUT can appreciate the opinion view since you put it that way. 

• 1 month later...

ok, so i tried a new place in levittown, curly's. 

holy crap was that a great cheesesteak. one of best ive had in a long time. and damn, do they have amazing mac n cheese. 

Menu at Curly's At The Nest pub & bar, Levittown

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

If you're passing through the Feasterville-Trevose area (hell, it's even worth a detour), give Stoli's Steaks a try. A damn fine sammich. The cajun fries were just plain awesome!

May be an image of french fries

On 12/28/2020 at 2:37 PM, Alpha_TATEr said:

holy crap was that a great cheesesteak. one of best ive had in a long time. and damn, do they have amazing mac n cheese. 

I was either gonna hit up Stoli's or Curly's for the first time. Levittown was just too far out of the way, but they're on the list.

On 6/23/2021 at 4:40 PM, EaglesRocker97 said:

If you're passing through the Feasterville-Trevose area (hell, it's even worth a detour), give Stoli's Steaks a try. A damn fine sammich. The cajun fries were just plain awesome!

May be an image of french fries

I was either gonna hit up Stoli's or Curly's for the first time. Levittown was just too far out of the way, but they're on the list.

just take my word for it, call ahead of time. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I heard Genos is killer................................

<2 murders at the place in the last 5 weeks>.... 

• 2 months later...
On 4/21/2020 at 10:53 AM, Mlodj said:

John's Roast Pork.  :flex:

I made the mistake of ordering the "sharp" cheese version thinking it'd be sharp cheddar. It was asiago (which is great sprinkled LIGHTLY on pasta or eaten in TINY slivers) and it totally smothered all the other flavors even the meat. Tasted like week-old rat poison.

On 8/25/2020 at 9:26 AM, Gannan said:

The secret to good Italian food is simple fresh ingredients.

That cuts across a lot of lines with food.  Good ingredients plus attention to detail usually makes for a good dish.

I forgot to post here last month when I tried Curly's. Worth the wait. Get the homemade whiz (pretty sure it's melted cooper sharp). Holy f**** :drool:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 9:50 PM, hputenis said:

How the F has nobody mentioned Jim's on South Street?  My wife has celiacs disease, and the 1 time she came back home to Philly with me, I didn't give a F and I made her watch me eat my cheesesteak, provolone, without.  Jim's is way better than Geno's or Pat's (although I like them both).  I've never been to John's, but it sounds like I really need to next time I'm home.  

Random hole in the wall cheesesteak place/story.  One of my best friends went to Widener, and the exit to get there was off of McDade Blvd right before the airport on the blue route.  There was this random sheethole convenient store called Liberty right off the exit.  Next to Liberty was the beer distributor.  When I came home from college during the summer, I would go party with him out there all the time, and we would start off the night by crushing a cheesesteak from Liberty and picking up a pony keg next door.  It's better than any cheesesteak you'll get anywhere outside of Philadelphia.  As good as Geno's or Pat's.  

I'm just partial to Jim's as my mom had a store on 5th and Bainbridge for a long time, we knew the owners of Jim's so I would always just walk around the corner and go there.  Also helped in knowing the owner, I would just walk through that 3 deep line to the side and get my order without the line!  Then, as I got older...well I would go to Jim's, then head across the street to the Copa for their Margaritas.  Talk about losing some days in 4th and South triangle!

• Like 1

NOBODY.  Cheesesteaks f'ing SUCK.  In the global signature food rankings Cheesesteaks might rank DEAD LAST.  Third world countries have better road side seasonings for meat.  The bland arse hoagies are too weak to hold up, a f'ing taco has better architecture.  Cheez Whiz?  Are you f'ing serious?  

I haven't had them all but I've had John's Roast pork, Pats, etc.  More than enough to have an opinion.  

• Haha 2

On 1/19/2022 at 9:36 AM, dawkins4prez said:

NOBODY.  Cheesesteaks f'ing SUCK.  In the global signature food rankings Cheesesteaks might rank DEAD LAST.  Third world countries have better road side seasonings for meat.  The bland arse hoagies are too weak to hold up, a f'ing taco has better architecture.  Cheez Whiz?  Are you f'ing serious?  

I haven't had them all but I've had John's Roast pork, Pats, etc.  More than enough to have an opinion.  

speaking of nobody, nobody here gives a flying F what you think. including yourself. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/28/2020 at 1:37 PM, Alpha_TATEr said:

just came up on JL Juipitar's channel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

Two things:  first - above post, WTF?

Second:  American cheese is gross.  Fight me.

let's go; but i wear an aesthetic fist made of american cheese. not because i have to, mind you but because it's Fing american.

keeping it clean

• Haha 2

On 1/20/2022 at 3:31 PM, Alpha_TATEr said:

speaking of nobody, nobody here gives a flying F what you think. including yourself. 

Brother if you eat cheesesteaks, you probably bang your father in the arse.