Who has the best cheesesteak in Philly?

Mlodj

On 8/26/2022 at 12:48 PM, Newman! said:

Anthony Bourdain raved about Donkey's steak sandwich on a round kaiser roll - but I'm always wary about steak sandwich reviews from people who aren't from the Delaware Valley

R.I.P., loved that guy. I'll say, that I understand your position, but I put more weight into Bourdain's opinions more than most. Definitely will have to check this one off the box sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

I remember, too, that last time I was out late night at Oregon steaks recently, there were some people (I think it might've even been employees in the vicinity, either behind the counter or off-the-clock), and they were talking to each other's about Donkey's being legit.

• 1 month later...

Was in Center City last week and wanted to pick places in walking distance to different places we were visiting.  

Campo's - I took the fam to Independence Hall and other historical stuff around that area so it was on the way.  Plus it has a gluten-free bun so my wife was able to have a cheesesteak.  A lot of times a gluten-free bun on a burger or sandwich isn't very good, she liked this though.  

Joe's Pizza Philly (16th & Sansom)- I had it last time I was there for work in 2018 and went back.  Co-workers who live or work nearby also agreed it's a good place, one person said it's their go-to spot.  Pizza and sandwiches were good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Was in Center City last week and wanted to pick places in walking distance to different places we were visiting.  

Campo's - I took the fam to Independence Hall and other historical stuff around that area so it was on the way.  Plus it has a gluten-free bun so my wife was able to have a cheesesteak.  A lot of times a gluten-free bun on a burger or sandwich isn't very good, she liked this though.  

Joe's Pizza Philly (16th & Sansom)- I had it last time I was there for work in 2018 and went back.  Co-workers who live or work nearby also agreed it's a good place, one person said it's their go-to spot.  Pizza and sandwiches were good.

too bad you didn't get to dig deep into some donkeys like bcarty's friends always seem to do. 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else out there ever repurpose day old leftover steak sandwiches in the fridge?  I was never big on cheese, and it's much easier to do w a plain steak.  Used to cut up some fresh garlic and on occasion slice up banana pepper or hot pepper and sautee in a hot pan with a little olive oil, maybe fry up some extra diced onions first and caramelize them first to add in.  The leftover steak came out really nice after being sauteed with the fresh garlic and other ingredients.  The roll was a little trickier, but somehow we managed by putting in the toaster over and letting it crisp up.

Not sure if I mentioned earlier in the thread, but there was this place in the 80's on Samson St. called the Japanese Sukiyaki steak house.  There was this mean Japanese guy with his mousy wife - and they would sautee up a mixture of chopped up steak with Japanese veggies on a grill with sukiyaki sauce and then put it on an Amoroso roll.  Definitely one of the more memorable steak sandwiches.  Was excellent.

3 hours ago, Procus said:

Anybody else out there ever repurpose day old leftover steak sandwiches in the fridge?  I was never big on cheese, and it's much easier to do w a plain steak.  Used to cut up some fresh garlic and on occasion slice up banana pepper or hot pepper and sautee in a hot pan with a little olive oil, maybe fry up some extra diced onions first and caramelize them first to add in.  The leftover steak came out really nice after being sauteed with the fresh garlic and other ingredients.  The roll was a little trickier, but somehow we managed by putting in the toaster over and letting it crisp up.

Not sure if I mentioned earlier in the thread, but there was this place in the 80's on Samson St. called the Japanese Sukiyaki steak house.  There was this mean Japanese guy with his mousy wife - and they would sautee up a mixture of chopped up steak with Japanese veggies on a grill with sukiyaki sauce and then put it on an Amoroso roll.  Definitely one of the more memorable steak sandwiches.  Was excellent.

I have, but I usually just keep the sandwich all together, then to warm it up, wrap it in foil and stick it in the oven at like 350-375. Don't preheat, just put the sandwich in when you turn the oven on, and wait like 20-25 minutes, depending on how fast your oven heats. Then, unwrap it and put it on the top rack for an additional 7 minutes or so to take the sog out of the roll. It'll be tasty.

• 2 months later...
On 12/6/2022 at 2:03 PM, Alpha_TATEr said:

not sure how the bustleton location is, but the one up here across from reedman's is on point. plus you can always go around the corner to curlys if you wish to get the chopped style. 

last time i went to delasandros was last year with my cousin from austin. i heard its hit or miss there anymore, but i guess that day was a def hit because they were awesome. 

You were right, dude! Thanks for the tip!

I got regular wiz wit, gf got wit mushroom. Good stuff!

20230107_120158.thumb.jpg.4bde118fa7ad8b8c67175571fd0159ac.jpg

IMG_8884.thumb.jpg.091ae47512578d39dadb8cd4c2b4ce3a.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 4:42 PM, EaglesRocker97 said:

I was in the area for a hot minute last week and gave Datillo's a try. It's a small deli/market in the Northeast. The steak was top-notch. I got an extra cooper wit. Seeded soft roll had good texture, steak was flavorful and cut but not completely chopped to ****. Cheese was mixed in well and with good proportion to the meat. Best of all was the value: Standard price for their cheesesteak was $9.25, and it was filling. Looked like they had good hoagies too.

20220507_121129.thumb.jpg.101986e2cdd09dc19859d82b07717702.jpg

Any place that mixes the cheese in with the beef is trying to hide the poor quality of the beef, IMO.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

They are the best by a mile. I was just thinking about venturing out there soon.

always good stuff there. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alpha_TATEr said:

always good stuff there. 

Yeah, I've heard everything is good. I might get some wings, too, next time.

1 minute ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Yeah, I've heard everything is good. I might get some wings, too, next time.

you get the same portion size as the cheesesteaks. the boneless are awesome. the mac n cheese is awesome as well. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2023 at 2:52 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Dalesandro's has a great cheeseteak, IMO. But you almost have to take a day off work to get one. My complaints aren't about the product. 

2 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Dalesandro's has a great cheeseteak, IMO. But you almost have to take a day off work to get one. My complaints aren't about the product. 

I've only ever had 'steak and cheese', never a true Cheesesteak.

The best one that I ever had was LONG ago, in the mid to late 80's. In Maryland, at a mom and pop sort of shop at a mall that I worked at (in a theater). I wish I knew how they made them because they were SO good. They're long gone now though. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to post my Curly's pics from a few weeks back:

May be an image of sub sandwich

No photo description available.

May be an image of french fries

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

when the owner of angelo's comes to your tailgate and eats not one, but two of your tailgate's cheesesteaks, you know they are pretty good. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 9:30 AM, Alpha_TATEr said:

when the owner of angelo's comes to your tailgate and eats not one, but two of your tailgate's cheesesteaks, you know they are pretty good. 

Don’t believe you

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, olsilverhair said:

Don’t believe you

i don't believe that you don't believe me, skeeter deek. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2023 at 9:30 AM, Alpha_TATEr said:

Where is my invite for tomorrow? :unsure: 

On 11/25/2023 at 5:41 PM, Agent23 said:

Where is my invite for tomorrow? :unsure: 

sorry bud, i wasnt even there yesterday. 

On 11/27/2023 at 10:53 AM, Alpha_TATEr said:

sorry bud, i wasnt even there yesterday. 

sad