Who has the best cheesesteak in Philly?

Mlodj

Needed a cheesesteak after our flight touched down in Philly returning from vacation. Tony Luke's (the original) seemed most convenient and relatively covid-friendly with the outdoor seating, so I went there with the GF. I don't really get the hate. They have never really disappointed me, although I'm always location-specific when rating these guys. You're usually gonna get the best experience at the original spots. We both thought they were very good sandwiches and good fries, too. The roll may have been a bit old, but it's gotta be hard to move them out quickly in these circumstances.

On 7/30/2020 at 2:27 PM, iladelphxx said:

Jim's is in the same category of Pat's and Geno's - overrated tourist traps.

Definitely a tourist trap and maybe a tad overrated, but they do make a good steak sandwich on South Street. They're really not in the Pat's and Geno's category as far as the product goes. Those guys peddle overpriced junk.

Pretty soon the question is going to be, what is the best *remaining cheesteak in philly. Restaurants are having it rough

On 7/30/2020 at 1:27 PM, iladelphxx said:

Ishkabbiles across the street is better, and they also invented the chicken cheesesteak

i had a discussion with chickie about that last night, chicken cheesesteaks. i mentioned that i actually would likely order more chicken cheesesteaks than cheesesteaks if i lived back in the homeland and came to find out she never had one. thing is, she doesn't like cheese and that had me wonder how good is a plain chicken cheeesteak w/o cheese ? also wondering if it's white meat or dark meat.

1 hour ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

i had a discussion with chickie about that last night, chicken cheesesteaks. i mentioned that i actually would likely order more chicken cheesesteaks than cheesesteaks if i lived back in the homeland and came to find out she never had one. thing is, she doesn't like cheese and that had me wonder how good is a plain chicken cheeesteak w/o cheese ? also wondering if it's white meat or dark meat.

i love a good chicken cheesesteak. i believe they are all or least mostly white meat. i think they are more versatile when it comes to how you can make them. with cheese, plain, buffalo, with parm cheese and light sauce, with long hots, etc. 

1 hour ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i love a good chicken cheesesteak. i believe they are all or least mostly white meat. i think they are more versatile when it comes to how you can make them. with cheese, plain, buffalo, with parm cheese and light sauce, with long hots, etc. 

i agree; i prefer american cheese on all my cheesesteaks and think white chicken lends better to working with the creaminess of american cheese than beef. i've never bit into a cheeesteak and gotten the same euphoric response (and is there any other response more common regardless to  how many you've ever had?) i get from a chicken cheesesteak because of the meat used. my euphoric response is always to the bread and cheese first (or the taste of the bread and texture of the creamy cheese meat texture). 

• Like 1

im an american cheese guy too. ill take cheese wiz on my fries, but not my sammies. 

does anyone recall Wawa having chicken cheesesteaks ? have that stuck in my craw as being so.

On 8/13/2020 at 3:58 PM, wholesale_Melvin said:

does anyone recall Wawa having chicken cheesesteaks ? have that stuck in my craw as being so.

Yes, they do

On 8/13/2020 at 8:20 AM, wholesale_Melvin said:

Depends where you get it. 

Some places use fresh breast meat that they dice themselves, other places use frozen minute-steak type chicken.

This is Ishkabibble's you can get them different ways

o.jpg

o.jpg

South Philly cheesesteak - Picture of Ishkabibble's Eatery ...

• Like 1

i didnt even realize they had cheesesteaks .... how do they cook them with no griddles ? 

1 minute ago, iladelphxx said:

Depends where you get it. 

Some places use fresh breast meat that they dice themselves, other places use frozen minute-steak type chicken.

This is Ishkabibble's you can get them different ways

o.jpg

o.jpg

South Philly cheesesteak - Picture of Ishkabibble's Eatery ...

see thats what i mean by chicken steaks being so much more versatile. damn they look good. 

On 8/18/2020 at 2:55 PM, Alpha_TATEr said:

i didnt even realize they had cheesesteaks .... how do they cook them with no griddles ? 

I was told by an employee that the regular cheesteaks are essentially boiled inside a bag. My guess would be the same for chicken cheesesteaks. 

14 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

I was told by an employee that the regular cheesteaks are essentially boiled inside a bag. My guess would be the same for chicken cheesesteaks. 

that should be a federal offense. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

that should be a federal offense. 

the chicken cheesesteaks (Wawa) are fine from what i remember. 

4 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

the chicken cheesesteaks (Wawa) are fine from what i remember. 

the cafe in my work makes a great one. havent been able to have one since march. 

On 8/13/2020 at 8:20 AM, wholesale_Melvin said:

2014: Things that made me go 'Hmmm..' – Research The Media

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/21/2020 at 11:53 PM, hputenis said:

2014: Things that made me go 'Hmmm..' – Research The Media

LOL i know i know i know.  same with hot sauce, mushrooms...but she's my best friend.

• Haha 1

For me it's Campo's hands down. Right in old city, it's where I take my out of town friends when they visit. It's rarely mentioned in the best cheese steak conversation, but it's always crowded. 

fcb0556f-1b96-4e97-a600-42d34d06f784-ret

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Gannan said:

For me it's Campo's hands down. Right in old city, it's where I take my out of town friends when they visit. It's rarely mentioned in the best cheese steak conversation, but it's always crowded. 

Come on man.  It's my own fault, but I just clicked in this thread right from the blog where they were talking about banana pudding, peach cobbler, and southern food.  Then I come over here and see this pic.  I think it's time for 2nd lunch.  

Second Breakfast GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Gannan said:

For me it's Campo's hands down.

Never had a bad one from campos but it's just lacking something for me. 

2 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Never had a bad one from campos but it's just lacking something for me. 

The secret to good Italian food is simple fresh ingredients. It's the same with a cheesesteak IMO. What I like about Campo's is the simplicity. Perfect roll, sliced rib eye, provolone cheese, and onions perfectly fried that melt in your mouth like flavor crystals :D

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gannan said:

The secret to good Italian food is simple fresh ingredients. It's the same with a cheesesteak IMO. What I like about Campo's is the simplicity. Perfect roll, sliced rib eye, provolone cheese, and onions perfectly fried that melt in your mouth like flavor crystals :D

i have only had them at CBP. def like them, but not the best for me. 

also, provolone goes on roast pork sammies, not cheesesteaks. JK, to each his own and that is making me hungry. 

Just now, Alpha_TATEr said:

i have only had them at CBP. def like them, but not the best for me. 

also, provolone goes on roast pork sammies, not cheesesteaks. JK, to each his own and that is making me hungry. 

I can't do the whiz 🤮

• Like 1

Just now, Gannan said:

I can't do the whiz 🤮

oh hear that, i do american only. whiz is for fries. 

American is also good. A guilty pleasure of mine is a cheese steak from Chickie's and Pete's where they use the crab fry cheese sauce on it.