GDT: New Orleans Saints @ Philadelphia Eagles, 11-21-21, 1PM EST

EagleJoe8

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Hurts certainly adds a unique running dynamic to the position.  But he is still waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too early in his overall development to be labeled strictly as a running QB.  I hope Howie resists whatever temptation he may have to take a QB early in April and give Hurts at least another year to see where his further development can take him.  If the coaches are able to work with him on his passing game this upcoming offseason (kinda hard to do that one the regular season kicks off) and he becomes a legit threat as a passer too, we could have something special.  Not counting on it ... but also definitely not ruling out the possibility like so many here seem to be doing. 

There is no strictly running quarterback. Not since the beginning of football itself. Randall Cunningham has over 29,000 pass yards and he has around 4,900 rush yards. Strictly running quarterback!?! I don’t think so. This whole concept is convoluted bull crap. 

23 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

There is no strictly running quarterback. Not since the beginning of football itself. Randall Cunningham has over 29,000 pass yards and he has around 4,900 rush yards. Strictly running quarterback!?! I don’t think so. This whole concept is convoluted bull crap. 

Saying "he‘s just a RB" is said pretty much about every black QB ever. Usually paired with can‘t see the field and isn‘t smart enough. Makes you wonder why.

1 minute ago, Infam said:

Saying "he‘s just a RB" is said pretty much about every black QB ever. Usually paired with can‘t see the field and isn‘t smart enough. Makes you wonder why.

I know why. Josh Allen is second on his team in rushing, the Bills run designed run plays for him, and  he has a lower career completion percentage than Lamar Jackson. What makes him so different from Jackson other than skin complexion? 

15 minutes ago, XoqTionR said:

Nice breakdown of Mialata plays during this game. Loved this guy from draft day 1. Dude is a wrecking machine. I don't own a linemans jersey but I'll be getting his.

Watch "Jordan Mailata vs Saints" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/VaC0mtjnL3g

I read that part in Burgess Meredith's gravelly voice.  "He's gonna steamroll ya!"

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

40 years ago they still had the good ol boy mentality. Most of these guys who were dual threat type quarterbacks were moved to other positions. I read an article by some dope saying these so called dual threat quarterbacks can’t win. The person writing the article had Vick, McNabb, and Jamarcus Russell as the poster boys for so called dual threat quarterbacks. They all have three completely different skill sets. It’s all bs assumptions these guys can’t win, because when they do the people who assume they can’t don’t count the guys who do. The bottom line is if a quarterback has the ability to use both his legs and his arm to beat teams then he’s dual threat and there have been several guys with that ability who have won Super Bowls. 

Russell had skill?  (jk)...yeah i get you...it was Doug Williams that broke the glass ceiling..but then he was more of a traditional QB, wasn't he?

...to my point...it was well documented that Vick never took the position seriously while in Atlanta..and figured if things broke down, he would just run....he wasn't really interested in being a student of the position..not until he was more mature and was guided by Andy Reid....

in a lot of ways it's muscle memory...

The main thing being that when these guys get to the NFL..where players are much better, much smarter, and the coaches have seen it all...some may tend to falter maybe because they, or their college coaches weren't really interested in developing the other skills needed to being a successful QB....they were winning them games, and that is all that mattered....

we are seeing some of this with Hurts...he got used to throwing to Ruggs, Jeudy, Devonta..and for the first several games Jalen did have some tunnel vision for Devonta ..but to his credit, and the fact that he is a student of the game...he is becoming more diverse...now he just has to develop the ability to throw guys open...it is coming , you can see it, week to week..the progression...

and it's no secret that every position is constantly evolving...RBs becoming better receivers...TEs getting faster,  with better hands, in the 70s...even 80s...300lb OLs where virtually unheard off...

6 hours ago, Infam said:

yup...and Doug Williams faced these same biases..then he won a SB...one wonders that people would STILL question it....

36 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

Russell had skill?  (jk)...yeah i get you...it was Doug Williams that broke the glass ceiling..but then he was more of a traditional QB, wasn't he?

...to my point...it was well documented that Vick never took the position seriously while in Atlanta..and figured if things broke down, he would just run....he wasn't really interested in being a student of the position..not until he was more mature and was guided by Andy Reid....

in a lot of ways it's muscle memory...

The main thing being that when these guys get to the NFL..where players are much better, much smarter, and the coaches have seen it all...some may tend to falter maybe because they, or their college coaches weren't really interested in developing the other skills needed to being a successful QB....they were winning them games, and that is all that mattered....

we are seeing some of this with Hurts...he got used to throwing to Ruggs, Jeudy, Devonta..and for the first several games Jalen did have some tunnel vision for Devonta ..but to his credit, and the fact that he is a student of the game...he is becoming more diverse...now he just has to develop the ability to throw guys open...it is coming , you can see it, week to week..the progression...

and it's no secret that every position is constantly evolving...RBs becoming better receivers...TEs getting faster,  with better hands, in the 70s...even 80s...300lb OLs where virtually unheard off...

You get it. You’re not simply lumping players in the same mold or pot. Hurts is different from Vick, because he’s a student of the game and is willing to work at his craft. I’m not sure if he’s ever going to be one of the best, but I’m pretty confident in writing that if he doesn’t make it to being one the best that will not be due to a lack of trying. The league as you mentioned is also evolving and now with teams taking less of an emphasis on running backs and teams being forced to give truckloads of money to quarterbacks teams are going to start looking for more dynamic players at the quarterback position. Football is an eleven on eleven sport, but in reality it’s actually 10 verses eleven. The defense can always send one more player than the other team can block, because quarterbacks generally can’t run and are statues out there. Two ways you can break a blitz. Recognize it’s coming and throw it to the place that guy left or have a quarterback athletic enough to make that blitzing player miss. Neither is better than the other IMO. Both do the same job. If a quarterback throws for 240 with 3tds or if he throws for 140, but runs for 100 with 3 rushing tds what does it really matter? It’s still 18 points. 

On 11/22/2021 at 6:23 PM, Swoop said:

I don't know. There are a lot of people that will complain if we don't draft 3 defensive players.

I'd be ok with 1 offense and two defense.  OL, DL, and DB.  Then 2nd round pick could be an LB or WR. 

Archived