Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte trailer, premieres June 4

NOTW

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Ep 5

Hide contents

Flashback to Obi and Anakin from episode 2 timeframe showed the type of Anakin we wanted to see then:  aggressive, not listening to Obi-Wan, talking about mercy is weak and that's why you lose...THAT was the kind of bad arse we wanted to see, prepping to become Vader.  More post-Lucas content fixing mistakes and giving fans a bit more that they wanted to see.  Although flashback Anakin looks 40 years old.  They de-age everyone else in these things.  :lol:

Ugh, Leia is going to crawl into a vent to evaluate the wiring on the hangar door?  What does she know about that?  Just silly.  Stop trying to make Leia an action hero at 9 years old.

Reva: what were you doing when Anakin was killing Younglings?  Obi:  hunting Anakin.  Reva with a stupid follow up: why didn't you help us, why didn't you save us?  Uh, he just said he was out hunting Anakin.  He was on another planet stopping the war and then the Emperor's order 66 had stormtroopers shoot at him at the same time you were being attacked.  You know that, so yeah this dialogue is dumb.

Reva:  I'll stop at nothing!  Also Reva: hiding behind stormtroopers in the attack not doing anything.  :lol:

Vader force pulling the ship then breaking it open was the kind of bad arse Vader we wanted to see in the prequels.

Reva trying to surprise Vader idea:  not bad.  Execution, waiting til he WASN'T distracted and totally saw it coming: awful. Grand Inquisitor returning as fans expected, but was a good payback when he got to rub it in Reva's face.  But leaving her wounded but not dead was dumb.  Vader wouldn't just leave her like that, he'd finish the job.  But they want more Reva in the story to go try and find Luke.  Which doesn't make sense now that Obi-Wan sort of turned her against Vader what point would there be in her doing that?

At least the Obi-Wan character was better in this.

Spoiler

I did laugh out loud at Reva's lightsaber scene with Vader.  She looked like a stunt person doing cart wheels around another stunt person, and the lightsaber was put in post edit.  It was silly.  Leia is turning into quite the Mary Sue in this series. What next?  She wipes the mind of Vader?  Gives Luke a force wedgie?

Storm Troopers also did their stand around and wait to shoot one at a time or get shot thing while standing around. As soon as you see it, you can't unsee it.

There was some good in it. McGregor does his best with the material he's given.  The Vader wax on, wax off stuff was entertaining.  We got the Martell lady saving the world, which was nice.

But this should have been a movie - would have been less filler in it.  Maybe a series after once they've set the scene.

No spoiler on this. Reva sounds a bit like Kamala Harris (dull, monotone, charmless) when she talks; when I twigged it, makes the dialogue more manageable to listen to 🤣

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

I read comments from several people online guessing the ending without seeing any leaks or spoilers, just seeing based on the setup:

Hide contents

They are hyping up Reva so much, some fans have guessed she will let Leia go and become a hero and Vader will kill her so this isn't far off from what fans have guessed.  

What's weird is Vader doesn't use the Force to read her mind and sense anything but in other scenes Reva, Kylo Ren and others use the Force to read minds and get information.  But Vader doesn't?

Spoiler

They dealt with it, but it was a gotcha.    So it came across as kind of dumb, especially when Vader can sense Obi Wan anyway.  Not why a single Lightsaber wound isn't fatal anymore.

Spoiler

It's amazing how some dude on YouTube can produce better results in 12 hours than a billion dollar division of a multibillion dollar media conglomerate

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UK Eagle said:
  Hide contents

I did laugh out loud at Reva's lightsaber scene with Vader.  She looked like a stunt person doing cart wheels around another stunt person, and the lightsaber was put in post edit.  It was silly.  Leia is turning into quite the Mary Sue in this series. What next?  She wipes the mind of Vader?  Gives Luke a force wedgie?

Storm Troopers also did their stand around and wait to shoot one at a time or get shot thing while standing around. As soon as you see it, you can't unsee it.

There was some good in it. McGregor does his best with the material he's given.  The Vader wax on, wax off stuff was entertaining.  We got the Martell lady saving the world, which was nice.

But this should have been a movie - would have been less filler in it.  Maybe a series after once they've set the scene.

No spoiler on this. Reva sounds a bit like Kamala Harris (dull, monotone, charmless) when she talks; when I twigged it, makes the dialogue more manageable to listen to 🤣

Yeah I thought that was odd too:

Spoiler

Reva did some kind of crouch crawl hiding behind Vader and he swung behind him, missing her.  It was cool once he used the force to grab lightsabers and kill her but then again he just leaves her there alive which was dumb.

They're talking about a season 2 so get ready for more filler!

1 hour ago, iladelphxx said:
  Hide contents

It's amazing how some dude on YouTube can produce better results in 12 hours than a billion dollar division of a multibillion dollar media conglomerate

The guy who fixed Luke's deep fake from the Mandalorian got hired by them because his was better.

They're too busy trying to make us like lil Leia and Reva to worry about special effects.

• Like 1

I went ahead and tried to rank all of the live action movies post Return of the Jedi.... 

1. The Mandalorian 

1a. Rogue One (was #1 until the Luke scene) 

2. Revenge of the Sith 

3. TFA (more for nostalgic reasons) 

4.Obi Wan (could go up or down depending on the ending) 

5. Phantom Menace 

6. Boba Fett 

7. Attack of the Clones. 

8. Solo (I actually almost forgot about it.... Ranked above the last 2 because of indifference) 

9. The Last Jedi 

10. The Rise of Skywalker 

I’m not even bothered by the lack of deageing.

I found that sparring session to be the more interesting scenes of the series so far.  From an obi wan and Vader episode I thought this was probably the best episode of the show for those two. 

I don’t need handyman Leia. That’s just silly. I’m still confused by Third Sisters motivations. I get the revenge play and even like that angle, but she straight up murdered a bunch of Jedi and force sensitive people to get to Vader. That just feels inconsistent, or at a minimum not well enough developed. Also her parkour light saber duel was cringey at times. But at the end of the day the fight was to prove how strong Vader was because she was not a threat at all.

2 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Hide contents

I found that sparring session to be the more interesting scenes of the series so far.  From an obi wan and Vader episode I thought this was probably the best episode of the show for those two. 

I don’t need handyman Leia. That’s just silly. I’m still confused by Third Sisters motivations. I get the revenge play and even like that angle, but she straight up murdered a bunch of Jedi and force sensitive people to get to Vader. That just feels inconsistent, or at a minimum not well enough developed. Also her parkour light saber duel was cringey at times. But at the end of the day the fight was to prove how strong Vader was because she was not a threat at all.

if there's one thing that's been most consistent with star wars regardless of who is in charge, it's this. it was one thing with the original trilogy, there were obviously going to be a lot of backstories to characters that were open ended, but why continue that throughout the rest of the saga ? so i fully expect some type of further explanation for reva's path. she was a youngling that saw anikan wipe out the temple, we know that much, but is she also the daughter of someone we knew and is there reason for her rage to push her to the point of killing how many other jedis?  

oh and yeah, enough of leia the magnificent. it was corny enough seeing it with father in epd 1. 

12 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

I went ahead and tried to rank all of the live action movies post Return of the Jedi.... 

1. The Mandalorian 

1a. Rogue One (was #1 until the Luke scene) 

2. Revenge of the Sith 

3. TFA (more for nostalgic reasons) 

4.Obi Wan (could go up or down depending on the ending) 

5. Phantom Menace 

6. Boba Fett 

7. Attack of the Clones. 

8. Solo (I actually almost forgot about it.... Ranked above the last 2 because of indifference) 

9. The Last Jedi 

10. The Rise of Skywalker 

I'm pretty close to yours. Big gaps after #5 and #9. 

1. Mandalorian

2. Rogue One

3. Revenge of the Sith

4. The Force Awakens

5. Obi-Wan (I really enjoyed episode 5)

6. Phantom Menace

7. Boba Fett

8. Solo

9. Rise of Skywalker

10. Attack of the Clones

11. Last Jedi

7 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Reveal hidden contents

4 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

if there's one thing that's been most consistent with star wars regardless of who is in charge, it's this. it was one thing with the original trilogy, there were obviously going to be a lot of backstories to characters that were open ended, but why continue that throughout the rest of the saga ? so i fully expect some type of further explanation for reva's path. she was a youngling that saw anikan wipe out the temple, we know that much, but is she also the daughter of someone we knew and is there reason for her rage to push her to the point of killing how many other jedis?  

oh and yeah, enough of leia the magnificent. it was corny enough seeing it with father in epd 1. 

You're right, the more they add content and jump all over the timeline forward and backward to add details, the fans are noticing inconsistencies and things that raise questions for content that chronologically comes later but was made years prior.  

With Reva:

Spoiler

The idea of plotting revenge, fine.  But they show her character as aggressive, impatient and impulsive...but she plotted for all these years with patience and the opposite of the character they've presented, to join the dark side to try and get close to Anakin to kill him?  Ok, but along the way she's killed Jedi and innocent people which goes against what she's supposedly fighting about.

At least they had Vader sense she was up to something.  I thought it was too premature to make her Grand Inquisitor, glad that it was just a ploy to get her where he wanted her and bring back the other Grand Inquisitor.  However, I don't quite get the Anakin we saw in the prequels as plotting something like that.  He was also impulsive, the Emperor was the cunning one with the long-term strategy.  Maybe he's picked up some pointers.

18 minutes ago, NOTW said:

You're right, the more they add content and jump all over the timeline forward and backward to add details, the fans are noticing inconsistencies and things that raise questions for content that chronologically comes later but was made years prior.  

With Reva:

Hide contents

Being plotting revenge, fine.  But they show her character as aggressive, impatient and impulsive...but she plotted for all these years with patience and the opposite of the character they've presented, to join the dark side to try and get close to Anakin to kill him?  Ok, but along the way she's killed Jedi and innocent people which goes against what she's supposedly fighting about.

At least they had Vader sense she was up to something.  I thought it was too premature to make her Grand Inquisitor, glad that it was just a ploy to get her where he wanted her and bring back the other Grand Inquisitor.  However, I don't quite get the Anakin we saw in the prequels as plotting something like that.  He was also impulsive, the Emperor was the cunning one with the long-term strategy.  Maybe he's picked up some pointers.

i think i have learned to expect it this point and i get a lil less annoyed now, but its a flaw they have never fixed. 

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

With Reva:

Reveal hidden contents

Being plotting revenge, fine.  But they show her character as aggressive, impatient and impulsive...but she plotted for all these years with patience and the opposite of the character they've presented, to join the dark side to try and get close to Anakin to kill him?  Ok, but along the way she's killed Jedi and innocent people which goes against what she's supposedly fighting about.

Spoiler

I took the ending, when Vader says it was smart that Obi-Wan used her, to be an indication that Vader has matured from what Kenobi knew him to be. Actually thought it was well done.

34 minutes ago, vikas83 said:
  Hide contents

I took the ending, when Vader says it was smart that Obi-Wan used her, to be an indication that Vader has matured from what Kenobi knew him to be. Actually thought it was well done.

Yes,

Spoiler

That was drawing from the flashback scene and connecting that, that part was well done.  Imagine that:  Obi-Wan and Anakin/Vader are the parts fans want to see and they're the best parts.

It was also a better choice to not have Obi-Wan and Vader interact face to face.  The cat and mouse game and strategy is more interesting to build up to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vikas83 said:
  Hide contents

I think it was also done intentionally to show that Vader is still "learning" so that they can fill the giant plot hole they created with the learner/master dialogue from the original film 

• Like 1

Spoiler

The scene where Vader held the transport ship and ripped it apart was amzing. I liked how they are finally showing some of the powers that Vader is supposed to have. That scene was well done IMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wormlegs said:
  Hide contents

The scene where Vader held the transport ship and ripped it apart was amzing. I liked how they are finally showing some of the powers that Vader is supposed to have. That scene was well done IMO

Between this and Rogue One, getting to see a bad ass Vader is nice.

Spoiler

I saw comments online that Vader then looked silly not doing the same to the actual transport, but I don't agree with that one because first he was surprised but also that ship took off much faster.

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

Hide contents

I saw comments online that Vader then looked silly not doing the same to the actual transport, but I don't agree with that one because first he was surprised but also that ship took off much faster.

Spoiler

I liked how they also did this scene as if he used the darkside and did that to the first ship, maybe he wasn't ready or able to do the same thing again. Overall it was well done and seeing these powerful jedi's actually being powerful and doing extraordinary things is finally appearing

5 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

FB_IMG_1655565795076.jpg

I did wonder if Asoka would turn up in the next episode. Based on something she did in the cartoons, it could provide them a bit of an out canon wise with a different timeline.

However, Disney aren't that clever (in a live action sense)

I'd love to hear a pathologist give their take on surviving a lightsaber puncture wound to the stomach.... 

I mean, it's not just a puncture wound..... Lightsabers can melt steel.... Having one inside your abdomen would probably liquify all of your organs instantaneously 

The melting point of stainless steel is 1530 degrees Celsius (2750 degrees Fahrenheit) so a Lightsaber must reach at least this temperature. But we have also seen them cut through blast doors in The Phantom Menace. These doors are designed to withstand laser blasts at even greater temperatures than standard steel doors. Assuming that the blast doors were made from titanium, this would increase the melting point to 1668 degrees Celsius (3034 degrees Fahrenheit).

In the real world, the closest technology that exists similar to a Lightsaber is a plasma welding torch which can cut through many types of metals including carbon steel and stainless steel. A constricted plasma arc can reach temperatures up to 25000 degrees Celsius (45032°F).

Given this evidence, it can be concluded that a Lightsaber can reach temperatures of up to 25000 degrees Celsius (45032 °F).

"General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars…”  - sounds like she never personally met him right?

Now after this series:

"Ben, remember that time I was kidnapped and we spent weeks together after you rescued me and we shared intimate stories about how you knew my mother, we helped the rebels together, etc?  Well, I need you again!"

Apparently, the producers are going to address it somehow in the finale.

https://tvline.com/2022/06/19/will-obi-wan-finale-erase-leia-memory-luke-brother/

"General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars…” is not how a young woman who shared such an intense, post-Revenge of the Sith adventure with Obi-Wan would address the Jedi master. And though some fans have hand-waved it as Leia showing a certain decorum, or keeping their past exploits in confidence, Obi-Wan Kenobi writer/executive producer Joby Harold has indicated that the apparent hiccup in continuity will be addressed before the season is over, this Wednesday.

"We talked about it a lot,” Harold told EW.com, speaking about Leia’s New Hope hologram. "And we’re looking forward to the show airing in its entirety so that hopefully all questions are answered fully. So it’s tricky to field some of those questions mid-process. But yes, all I can say is we’re very cognizant of that, and of canon.”

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

"General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars…”  - sounds like she never personally met him right?

Now after this series:

"Ben, remember that time I was kidnapped and we spent weeks together after you rescued me and we shared intimate stories about how you knew my mother, we helped the rebels together, etc?  Well, I need you again!"

Apparently, the producers are going to address it somehow in the finale.

https://tvline.com/2022/06/19/will-obi-wan-finale-erase-leia-memory-luke-brother/

Probably something to the effect of….

image.jpeg.e8f3bd3bdbef67d2ca823ab40d1711aa.jpeg